04colyZQ8
September 20th, 2014, 10:08 PM
Can we enable VVT with the editor?

GMPX
September 21st, 2014, 10:04 AM
The engine has it right?

04colyZQ8
September 21st, 2014, 10:06 AM
didn't see it off hand? but I guess I don't need it at the moment, going with a different setup.

pir4te
September 28th, 2016, 01:29 AM
I have an e38 2011 L77 (non VVT) and yes I did enable the cam phasers by specifying one did exist on the intake, and for the most part works great.
Only problem is VVT spark table doesn't work, so I'm contemplating migrating to e38 2013 L99 (VVT) OS to enable the VVT spark table.

pir4te
October 2nd, 2016, 01:25 AM
Before I embark on a major migration to O/S 12653674, have I missed some prerequisite step to enable VVT other than specifying # of intake cams {B7955}?
Problem as above, {B5154} Cam Phaser Timing doesn't work on 12639270, yet it does on VVT O/S.
Is migrating to the L99 O/S the only way to enable VVT Spark table?

pir4te
October 6th, 2016, 06:20 PM
I checked the efilive OS compatibility list, went ahead and created a new tune from 2013 L99 VVT base (above) migrating from 2010 L77 non-VVT tune, seems the OS compatibility list needs updating with more detail to allow for the break in e38 ECU for the 2013 revision.
Anyways flashed 2011 L99 VVT base of same OS, works perfectly (some tweaks).
All this was to get VVT Spark BTW. I think it was worth it.

04colyZQ8
January 15th, 2017, 11:17 AM
Intersting

pir4te
January 15th, 2017, 11:24 AM
Yes, so you can enable cam phasing in a non-VVT OS but to have VVT Spark active you need to run a VVT OS.
One problem is that the e38 VVT OS I've tried have incompatible speed limiter / cruise control source and modules, so no cruise is a bummer.
Bottom line is VVT with cruise control without spark adjustment or full VVT phasing and spark without cruise control.

04colyZQ8
January 15th, 2017, 11:32 AM
I here you on that... slightly different trouble but I can't source a E67 with cruise that will work in a non factory application with manual trans!

04colyZQ8
January 15th, 2017, 11:36 AM
Your best option would be a E67 from a 2010 Colorado it has factory 5.3L VVT and automatic, cruise will likely work without BCM, just need a resistive ladder cruise switch or efi connection 4 wire cruise to resistive ladder cruise signal out, box. Then send that cruise signal, brake signals, to the pcm, I bet cruise will work. You can use the same pins from your E38, just buy two new connectors and repin them.

pir4te
January 15th, 2017, 11:36 AM
I'm new to this but I think I read somewhere here that you can ask (pay) for a custom OS with the compatible segments required?

04colyZQ8
January 15th, 2017, 11:43 AM
From who for what? Pay efi for custom OS with compatible VVT segments? Trouble with the E series controller's E38, E67 E40, is they can segment swap easy even with compatible OS segment swaps don't always work.

I don't know that they offer any?

04colyZQ8
January 15th, 2017, 11:46 AM
I do some custom OS, was trying to make one with manual trans and E67, with stand alone cruise, trouble is there is little to no help ounce your that deep in the raw PCM code! And my cruise won't work in all gears, with my OS

pir4te
January 15th, 2017, 11:50 AM
From who for what? Pay efi for custom OS with compatible VVT segments? Trouble with the E series controller's E38, E67 E40, is they can segment swap easy even with compatible OS segment swaps don't always work.

Not quite sure about who to pay for what actually (haha not a good place to be)! I think I read segment swap was possible on same OS and you could request such customisation through EFIlive as a service.
If so then would be easier for me to have VVT spark enabled on my existing cal than cruise segment swapped then having to rebuild.

pir4te
January 15th, 2017, 12:02 PM
I do some custom OS, was trying to make one with manual trans and E67, with stand alone cruise, trouble is there is little to no help ounce your that deep in the raw PCM code! And my cruise won't work in all gears, with my OS

Wow great! Can you take a look at the two variants of OS 12639270 (attached) and advise whether the VVT spark table which is enabled in the first can work by otherwise editing the second? Of course happy to pay something if VVT spark can be enabled.
<deleted>

04colyZQ8
January 15th, 2017, 12:03 PM
Efi lets you segment swap for free with compatible OS. You can do it yourself just compare the two files, and under edit, add segment. Trouble is the E series are very fussy, so it may not work, Do you have a compatible pcm that has the cruise the way you want, and another file with the same OS, that has VVT? Then yes I'd just swap only the engine segment from the VVT to the one that has cruise working, it might work? But of the OS is not the same, then your SOL!!

04colyZQ8
January 15th, 2017, 12:07 PM
I have EFi 7.57 build 262 says your file is incompatible? Do you have a older version of Efi to read it out with? I think mines pretty old?

04colyZQ8
January 15th, 2017, 12:09 PM
What OS number has cruise working for you? What year make and model is that from? What year is your vehicle Is the motor not from the platform you have?

pir4te
January 15th, 2017, 12:37 PM
Efi lets you segment swap for free with compatible OS. You can do it yourself just compare the two files, and under edit, add segment. Trouble is the E series are very fussy, so it may not work, Do you have a compatible pcm that has the cruise the way you want, and another file with the same OS, that has VVT? Then yes I'd just swap only the engine segment from the VVT to the one that has cruise working, it might work?

Thanks that would be too easy, it seems Copy entire segment -> Engine Operation neatly copies segment data as a batch over whereas I would like to actually swap Segment as in different ID / Checksum stuff. Any pointers?

pir4te
January 15th, 2017, 12:46 PM
I have EFi 7.57 build 262 says your file is incompatible? Do you have a older version of Efi to read it out with? I think mines pretty old?
I have EFi 7.5.9 build 315, I will look into getting a read compatible with old EFi.

What OS number has cruise working for you?
<deleted>

What year make and model is that from? What year is your vehicle Is the motor not from the platform you have?

That's the weird thing - the identifiers are exactly the same in both files, mine is Holden 2011 L77 (6.0 flex fuel) and the other is Camaro 2011 L99:
OS ID: AA
Calibration: 12639269
BCC: AAR2
Same with Calibration definition file (*.cal):
Name: 12639270.calz
Version: 7.59
Date: 18 December 2015

pir4te
January 15th, 2017, 01:13 PM
Here is same OS two years ago, the earliest I can easily find:
<deleted>

04colyZQ8
January 15th, 2017, 01:21 PM
So the 2011 holden comadore and 2011 Camaro have the same or different OS? Still can't open those files

04colyZQ8
January 15th, 2017, 01:33 PM
Thanks that would be too easy, it seems Copy entire segment -> Engine Operation neatly copies segment data as a batch over whereas I would like to actually swap Segment as in different ID / Checksum stuff. Any pointers?

I'm not sure what you mean? If they both have the same OS, Efi will let out swap different segments, along with there associated checksums. Not just a copy of some of the tables, I mean the complete segment, you will need to save the file ad reopen it though, then you will see that the segment number and checksums have moved over. If you want to swap a engine segment from a different OS, I can manually do it, but it will likely say an error or brick the pcm when you try to flash it. I just tried that with my E67, and it barely ran, wasn't happy about the segment swap at all. If you have the files as .bin they are raw and unencrypted you can then segment swap your self even incompatible OS, but it will likely not work, and risk seriously messing it up! If you have a hp tuners I can convert those file to bin. but efi you cannot convert the files or save them as a bin, you can hover open, and edit a bin file, and write it to your PCM.

pir4te
January 15th, 2017, 01:36 PM
I'm not sure what you mean? If they both have the same OS, Efi will let out swap different segments, along with there associated checksums. Not just a copy of some of the tables, I mean the complete segment, you will need to save the file ad reopen it though, then you will see that the segment number and checksums have moved over. If you want to swap a engine segment from a different OS, I can manually do it, but it will likely say an error or brick the pcm when you try to flash it. I just tried that with my E67, and it barely ran, wasn't happy about the segment swap at all. If you have the files as .bin they are raw and unencrypted you can then segment swap your self even incompatible OS, but it will likely not work, and risk seriously messing it up! If you have a hp tuners I can convert those file to bin. but efi you cannot convert the files or save them as a bin, you can hover open, and edit a bin file, and write it to your PCM.

Oh righto thanks, I'll try saving then reopen...

pir4te
January 15th, 2017, 01:46 PM
Yahoo, it worked! Standby to see if it bricks my ECU or I have VVT spark.

pir4te
January 15th, 2017, 11:14 PM
OK when you're next in Australia I owe you, and we brew some good beers down here. All good, works brilliantly, thanks!

joecar
January 16th, 2017, 03:44 PM
Yes, a segment copy copies the visible + invisible data... so you have to do a full flash.

pir4te
January 16th, 2017, 03:45 PM
Yes, a segment copy copies the visible + invisible data... so you have to do a full flash.

Ok will do, thanks.

04colyZQ8
April 1st, 2017, 09:04 AM
OK when you're next in Australia I owe you, and we brew some good beers down here. All good, works brilliantly, thanks!

I'm glad it worked:)

pir4te
April 1st, 2017, 12:19 PM
I'm glad it worked:)

Yeah as in prior to this, with high squish smallest chamber running 26deg spark advance @ WOT on e85, made peak power at 6300.
I concluded after scores and dozens of pulls different scenarios bloody thing preferred phaser locked no retard (no point having VVT).
I thought it must have been a bad cam choice, and I was also happy to ignore the whole notion of VVT spark as It seemed I could add advance through the main spark table anyway so didn't matter VVT spark table wasn't working because it was redundant.
Well Yeehaa...
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170401/8a9fce7a465456e52eb65ce9f2d86e56.png
Now VVT spark advance opens full phaser movement with torque plateau higher and longer, as expected, but not like this: WOT pulls on exact same 26deg main table advance plus 6deg VVT spark advance is 32deg on e85 @ 13.5:1 - torque pulls like a filthy monkey at 5900 [emoji205]
So all good, truly exceptional performance now.

04colyZQ8
April 1st, 2017, 07:31 PM
Yeah as in prior to this, with high squish smallest chamber running 26deg spark advance @ WOT on e85, made peak power at 6300.
I concluded after scores and dozens of pulls different scenarios bloody thing preferred phaser locked no retard (no point having VVT).
I thought it must have been a bad cam choice, and I was also happy to ignore the whole notion of VVT spark as It seemed I could add advance through the main spark table anyway so didn't matter VVT spark table wasn't working because it was redundant.
Well Yeehaa...
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170401/8a9fce7a465456e52eb65ce9f2d86e56.png
Now VVT spark advance opens full phaser movement with torque plateau higher and longer, as expected, but not like this: WOT pulls on exact same 26deg main table advance plus 6deg VVT spark advance is 32deg on e85 @ 13.5:1 - torque pulls like a filthy monkey at 5900 [emoji205]
So all good, truly exceptional performance now.

I wish I could figure out how to tune with efi live, the hole Ben factor or Ben ltft has me totally confused!

Sounds like a nice setup you have we don't have e85 here

joecar
April 2nd, 2017, 05:57 PM
Where are you located...?

Have a read thru this thread (it is for LS1 PCM): 15236-Calc-VET-correcting-MAF-and-calculating-VE-(in-single-log) (https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?15236-Calc-VET-correcting-MAF-and-calculating-VE-(in-single-log))

I (me and statesman) am in the process of converting it for E38/E67/E92.