PDA

View Full Version : Find that timing retard!

ddnspider
October 5th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Trying to understand where the timing went to on the launch, around frames 2265. It went to zero. Traction was an issue so I was pedaling the car, but I still don't understand why the timing went as low as it did. Traction control on the car was turned off, ignore the burnout as I did forget to turn traction control off there. Tune and log attached.1757117572

ddnspider
October 5th, 2014, 12:36 PM
My initial thought was DFCO was kicking in since it was large throttle and then let off and then back on, but there are map and other restrictions on DFCO before it actually kicks in.

limited cv8r
October 5th, 2014, 04:58 PM
Try logging some of the spark pids in the scan tool to try and see what is pulling the timing.

ddnspider
October 6th, 2014, 12:52 AM
It's not my car so I can't just log it whenever. I was hoping it would be something obvious in the tune that I am just missing. On launch it starts to wheel hop so we had to pedal it and its seems like the frame after we're high tps% and then let out before getting back on the gas, it drops timing to nothing. Hence, the thought of DFCO or something else that would do that.

picnic_george
October 6th, 2014, 04:41 AM
Not looking at the tune or log. But have you checked knock? Burst knock can do some dumb stuff, also if it's an auto check torque management. How much timing is being pulled?

ddnspider
October 6th, 2014, 05:14 AM
Not looking at the tune or log. But have you checked knock? Burst knock can do some dumb stuff, also if it's an auto check torque management. How much timing is being pulled?
Zero knock and burst knock table is set to pull zero degrees. Car is an M6. From what I gather, the car was pulling somewhere between 6-8 degrees. Initially I saw the timing was going to single digits and realized it was in the high g/cyl low rpm area of the main octane spark table. I fixed that and now it still seems to be dropping to zero if its peddled. If you floor it from a 1mph rolling start so it doesnt wheel hop, then we dont see the timing drop.

picnic_george
October 6th, 2014, 06:33 AM
Not jumping back into the base(idle) spark table is it? Sorry I can't view it, just trying to help you find the problem.

ddnspider
October 6th, 2014, 08:11 AM
Not jumping back into the base(idle) spark table is it? Sorry I can't view it, just trying to help you find the problem.
Worst case timing in the base table is 17*. It feels like a Cat Over Temp or something stupid like DFCO. Are you not able to view the tune because of the SW version you have or is my attachment not work?

picnic_george
October 6th, 2014, 08:16 AM
I'm not on my tuning computer.

ddnspider
October 6th, 2014, 08:21 AM
I gotcha. Thanks for your help anyways.

ddnspider
October 8th, 2014, 12:30 AM
bump!

joecar
October 8th, 2014, 11:01 AM
I'm still looking (I'm running behind on everything, I'll slowly catch up).

ddnspider
October 9th, 2014, 12:30 AM
Thanks Joe I appreciate it.

joecar
January 15th, 2015, 12:26 PM
I could not see what is pulling timing on throttle snap open.

ddnspider
January 16th, 2015, 01:50 AM
I could not see what is pulling timing on throttle snap open. I think part of the reason was I was in the low rpm, high g/cyl region of the spark table which has low timing, but still dont fully understand it either.

joecar
January 16th, 2015, 08:43 AM
I think part of the reason was I was in the low rpm, high g/cyl region of the spark table which has low timing, but still dont fully understand it either.That area has low timing, but not zero.

I'm still looking at the other tables (knock tables, traction control, torque reduction) to see if I can see it...