PDA

View Full Version : E38 ecu corruption issues

Hooter
October 8th, 2014, 04:30 PM
I have an issue with a WM Caprice (VZ Commodore) with 6L and 4L65e with E38 ecu
The engine has had large cam and mods made, and initially it tuned up well.
Within an hour after the tune and doing some serious skids, the owner blew the trans.
They decided to rebuild the trans with full manual kit.
Something happened in this transition, and the engine then ran real bad etc and needed the trans codes turned off.
Meanwhile I updated to the latest EFILive software and a newer laptop.
When I reconnected to retune the e38, I got insane scanner logging, with readings of -64 advance, stfts of -100, MAP 18 ( this seems approx reverse) etc etc.
I messed around and originally thought it to be a software issue, however i removed the e38 and put it on my bench flash adaptor.
It still read these crazy no.s, also I had better mention, the ecu seemed to work fine, and you could flash and suck out cals or full flash no problems, and make changes. The trouble is, you couldnt log to see where the changes needed to be made.
Anyway after a full reflash of a std factory tune, it still did the same thing and also only approx 167 pids (f8) available.
So i plugged in another same early model VZ e38 ecu, and it read what you would expect, sane data, with 337 pids available, that is, with the same LS2 pids and same LS2 dash page
So i plugged the bad one back in, and same insane results..... plug the new one in and sane results....
So it appeared the ecu was the problem. So I put the new/used manual ecu in the car and it wouldnt run, so then a tilt tray trip down the our local Holden dealer and they loaded the correct security stuff in, which i had already flashed a tune in so that it would run, and bingo, it all started and ran pretty good, so I drove home where i plugged in the laptop to start again......
Guess what??? same bad insane data..... getting pretty frustrated now......
So I plugged in my HP Tuners scanner, and it was perfect, plug in EFILive and bad.......
Ok put ecu back on bench with bench flasher, tried both the bad ecu's with EFILive, and insane..... plug in HP and good
Then tried another good e38 ecu and that works fine with both.
Unfortunately this is the only VZ / WM Holden i have had the opportunity to tune since I have updated the software, but i have tuned several VE Holden with e38 ecu with no problems........
Has anyone got any idea what is going on that could be of help.
I did think it could be a HP/EFILive conflict, so thats why i did full reflash of std factory tune, but it made no difference
More details
It has full manual box, so the round trans plugs is disconnected
The T42 TCM is plugged in
The e38 has a manual tune in it, but behaved the same with auto tune, in the 1st e38
At this stage it appears i may have to scan with HP and then tune with EFILive.......
Any ideas much appreciated.
Regards Hooter

joecar
October 8th, 2014, 08:14 PM
Hey Hooter,

Which V7 and V8 software build do you have installed on your PC...?

Blacky
October 8th, 2014, 08:19 PM
If you have any DMA PIDs selected, try removing them and retry logging.

If that does not fix the problem, send me the list of PIDs (the *.pid file) that you are using and a *.efi (log file) that shows the crazy numbers.
Send to paul@efilive.com

Regards
Paul

Hooter
October 14th, 2014, 02:33 AM
Thanks Paul, i will get back on to this tomorrow or next day
The version Im using is July 19th from memory.... so using V7

Hooter
December 18th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Thanks to Paul, we managed to fix this quite some time back now.
The main issue was being caused by incorrect VIN #, and it took a few goes to get this right