PDA

View Full Version : Tuning Assistance

WisconsinHick1
October 10th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Hey guys looking for a little direction for my truck. Built motor 100% injectors, dual CP3's, S475 single, 2500 stall converter. I am having a little difficulty spooling my turbo. This is the latest tune I have built and would like to know if there are areas that I could improve on to help spool the turbo.

Thanks in the advance guys!

THEFERMANATOR
October 11th, 2014, 02:24 AM
Me personally, I would start by correcting your pulse width tables in the idle areas to bring actual fueling inline with what it is fueling better(you have more pulsewidth in the idle areas than stock, I owuld imagine the ECM is only showing 3 or 4 MM3 of fuel at idle on this tune with that big of an injector). You don't have many changes to the pulsewidth in the lower RPM areas to correct for 100 over injectors. 2nd I would pull ALOT of timing out of your tune down low. Your running ALOT of timing for that big of an injector IMO. 4.2 degrees at idle, and rapidly ramping up to 8 isn't good for spooling a charger. Retarding the timing will send more of the heat out the exhaust to help spool the turbo(but it is a balancing act because retrding it to much will give you alot of black smoke). And what I found to help my stock charger was to ramp up the rail pressure quicker, shutting pilot off sooner, and reducing pilot timing up high. It will make the engine louder, but I can light off my stock LB7 charger almost as quick as a VVT does on a newer truck now.

WisconsinHick1
October 13th, 2014, 05:39 AM
Thank you for the feedback! I will make some adjustments and see what happens!

WisconsinHick1
October 19th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Ferm how do I adjust to kill pilot faster? What tables should I be looking at?

LB72004
October 20th, 2014, 04:54 AM
try B0748 Pilot Injection Quantity

in the lower RPM and high mm3 areas drop em to 0

for timing (stock charger) I have real low timing numbers in the same areas, and like Ferm mine spools just as fast as my LMM if not faster. obviously you will need to make your adjustments based on your larger turbo and how loose the converter is and dont forget the transmission shift speed, that can help too

WisconsinHick1
October 21st, 2014, 05:18 AM
Thanks for the help LB72004. I see what I come up with!

Scarface
November 20th, 2014, 06:55 AM
would this work good on a bone stock lb7 truck with stock and built trans in it.

LB72004
November 20th, 2014, 07:06 AM
"with stock and built trans in it"

not sure what you mean by this but in general, yes.

the biggest difference is you can't turn it up as much with a stock trans vs built. keep the HP less than around 50-60 above stock fueling with a stock transmission if you want it too live long. fueling plays a big part in how fast the turbo spools. less fuel typically means slower spooling turbo. but stock turbos spool pretty fast already but can be make faster following the above posts.

WisconsinHick1
November 20th, 2014, 07:07 AM
I wouldn't run it.

Scarface
November 20th, 2014, 07:34 AM
I have a customer with built trans in his dmax. but stock turbo and stock injectors but headstuds and screw in injector cups. just looking to get him off the line a tad bit quicker. he is wating for tax season again to upgrade the turbo and injectors.

WisconsinHick1
November 20th, 2014, 07:41 AM
This wouldn't help see all that Ferm suggested. That info would help you work off the tune you built for him to improve spool up.

Scarface
November 20th, 2014, 07:46 AM
ok will do buddy.

LB72004
November 20th, 2014, 07:53 AM
yah, for that just get him a nice tune and it should work well for his set up. just let the tuner know what has be done to the truck and what he intends on doing with it and any reputable tuner should be able to make something for it

Scarface
November 20th, 2014, 08:01 AM
lb72004 I tuned my buddys lb7 he had several other tunners tunes on his truck and made only 430 hp with built trans. I have gone to tuning classes on the efi and got several trucks running my tunning and holding up good. but no big horsepower trucks yet.

LB72004
November 20th, 2014, 08:11 AM
sounds like you got it covered :good:

Scarface
November 20th, 2014, 08:19 AM
yes sir. just trying to get more time on building tunes and making clean power.

Quinton
January 1st, 2015, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the help LB72004. I see what I come up with!

Have you gotten your truck dialed in yet? I've got the same set up on a 05 bitty no g 80 over injectors and its a smokey pig. Just cruising up a hill it smokes. I don't think the stock stall converter is making it smoke that much.

WisconsinHick1
January 2nd, 2015, 05:24 AM
By the time I was able to make tuning adjustments and get them flashed into my truck we had a foot of snow on the ground and my truck hasn't left the garage since. So I wont have any updates until spring time.