PDA

View Full Version : Reading PCM with Z06 Door Ajar :S Check Engine

dbaxter_ss
February 26th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Man did flashscan get cranky, not to mention the Z06

It was going along just fine, until it hit 204kb and the clock was counting down. Then the dash started like it was going through every single check, then threw a check engine light and sat at 204 Kb, and time shot to 11:20 minutes and never moved from there, just cycling over and over.

Just stopping the read, waiting the 15 seconds, starting the car with Scan open and clearing the codes, which were all, PCM could not communicate errors listing everything we saw on the dash.

Then we both opened and closed both driver and passenger door to make sure both were closed and started over.

Read was successfull this time :)

Also did some Scans, not sure if this is expected but while tune and scan were both open, SCAN stopped showing the gages, I checked the data and it was logging???

Shut off TUNE and restarted SCAN and all was happy.

So 2 weird anomolies with remedy :D

WOW is the Z06 VE table stock SMOOTH. NOT FAIR my GTO and SS looked like the rocky mountain.

mnotx
February 26th, 2005, 12:58 PM
I have done all of my scans and loads with the doors open. I have not had a problem as yet, but is this a potential problem?

dbaxter_ss
February 27th, 2005, 04:45 AM
I doubt its a problem. Pretty sure there is no way to kill your pcm anymore.

Just heads up since its was stopped.

Just posting more as a heads up in case someone else sees this happen.

bink
February 27th, 2005, 06:06 AM
I think it has something to do with the BCM comm. with the C5s. Mine said "Door is Ajar" along with MIL and Reduced Engine Power. I finally cleared all codes with V6.
FlashScan is awesome !! :D

jfpilla
February 28th, 2005, 03:04 PM
I think it has something to do with the BCM comm. with the C5s. Mine said "Door is Ajar" along with MIL and Reduced Engine Power. I finally cleared all codes with V6.

Joel, Why did you clear them with V6?

bink
February 28th, 2005, 03:31 PM

Joel, Why did you clear them with V6?

Joe,
I tried everything.
Pulled fuses in multiple combinations. I disconnected the battery - ran it down also :oops: . Tried overwriting with FlashScan. All of this I tried numerous times. Nothing worked...and the TPS 120 and 121 codes had me in "Reduced Engine Power" mode.
The damn codes (comm codes) wouldn't clear.

I had read (Curt Briggs?) that someone used V6 to clear some codes and I guess that was running around in my brain someplace?? :lol:

All the codes used to clear with V6 on my car - so I used my old cable with V6 and it worked. :D

Cheers,
joel

jfpilla
February 28th, 2005, 06:05 PM
What I should have asked is why you did not clear them with V7?

Blacky
February 28th, 2005, 07:44 PM

Hmm, I am wondering that myself - I checked V6 v's V7 and they both appear to perform exactly the same operation for clearing codes.
If you find that clearing codes works in V6 but not in V7, check the following (between V6 and V7):

1. The list of modules included in the <vin>.vml files.
2. The setting in Properties->Advanced->Check/Clear DTc's for all modules.

Note: in V6 the <vin>.vml files are stored in:
Program Files\EFILive\ScanToolV6\PIDs
In V7 the <vin>.vml files are stored in:
My Documents\EFILive\V7\PIDs

Info:
The ETC DTC's should be cleared as part of the PCM clear (Module $10).
Module $40 is the BCM, so if that module is in the *.vml file then it should be included in the DTC clearing process.

Regards
Paul

bink
February 28th, 2005, 10:38 PM

V7 wouldn't clear them.
It would not clear all H/C codes. Some of the BCM codes remained.
Cheers,
joel

Steve Bryant
March 1st, 2005, 12:16 AM
Joel and Paul,
Patient, persistent people like you get problems resolved and it helps everyone in the end. My thoughts are with you both! A revelation will occur and it will all be history soon enough.

All my best,

Steve

johnsZ06
March 1st, 2005, 01:46 AM
I know that with my Predator hand held tuner, one of the things they mention is to have all the doors closed and not to have any accessories on in the car while writing to the PCM. It can cause problems like you've stated.

Bruce Melton
March 5th, 2005, 05:45 AM
After flashing in V1.8 I get "reduced engine power" which I can not clear. I find that if you disconnect pos battery terminal and short it to the neg terminal>> hook it back up and all is good again.
Is this the same problem?

jfpilla
March 5th, 2005, 06:26 AM
After flashing in V1.8 I get "reduced engine power" which I can not clear. I find that if you disconnect pos battery terminal and short it to the neg terminal>> hook it back up and all is good again.

Before you start the tuner, after turning on the key, count to 15. After it completes the flash count to 15 before turning off the key. Works for me.

Bruce Melton
March 5th, 2005, 07:13 AM

Before you start the tuner, after turning on the key, count to 15. After it completes the flash count to 15 before turning off the key. Works for me.

I know I am good on the after part will try the before part.
Thanks,
Bruce
Update> it works much better but not entirely consistantly. Seems to like key off before closing Flashscan.

Nick 02 Z06
March 5th, 2005, 03:44 PM
I had similar problems after reading the stock tune last night.

Door closed when reading the PCM, completes the reading the stock tune, message says remove key from ignition for 15 seconds on my laptop. I do so. The car then starts to say Reduced power, Low voltage in my DIC. When I check for codes on my DIC there are a bunch. I tried clearing the codes on the DIC, with V5, V6 and V7 yet they all just pop back up as soon as I start the car. When I shut it back off take the key out, close the door and lock it the car continues to flash, "Reduced power, Low voltage". Very strange. I adjust my stock program save it, license the pcm and flash with the new program and the problem goes away.............

Strange that all these problems would occure just from reading the PCM.

dbaxter_ss
March 5th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Glad to see I wasn't the only one now.

Didn't think we had the doors open, but we just opened and closed them since after the read, the door ajar light was on.

Anyway, I was able to use v7 to clear all codes. Worked just fine for me.

Thank god, or my boss would have killed me. Wounding his baby would not have been good :D

jfpilla
March 6th, 2005, 07:57 AM
[quote="Nick 02 Z06"]I had similar problems after reading the stock tune last night.

Door closed when reading the PCM, completes the reading the stock tune, message says remove key from ignition for 15 seconds on my laptop. quote]

Try not turning of the key for 15 seconds after you get this message. I don't think the PCM is finished yet. With C5's you get 6 chimes after the message pops up and turning off the key before the chimes are done causes problems.

Nick 02 Z06
March 6th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Try not turning of the key for 15 seconds after you get this message. I don't think the PCM is finished yet. With C5's you get 6 chimes after the message pops up and turning off the key before the chimes are done causes problems.

Thanks, I'll try it!

dbaxter_ss
March 24th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Ok, second time this has happened on the same car.

All doors closed ( learned from first time ), nothing running at all in the car.
Turned it on for 15 seconds and even confirmed with a watch ( owner was a bit worried after last time )

Pulled the PCM, and all appeared to be just fine.
Made the few changes with cags, a/f, rev limiter and spark.
Uploaded the new tune

ALL GAGES ON THE Z06 WERE DEAD
Everything.
The car started just fine, but nothing on the HUD or instrument panel worked. EFI was showing them all working, even weirder.

Fix:
1. put the original stock tune back on
still dead gages
2. receded all cables, opened and closed all doors, cleared all DTCs.
3. pulled the PCM again
4. uploaded the stock tune again
5. started the car, all was fine.

6. uploaded the original changed tune from above and everything was fine????

Whats with Z06s? Bad enough the owners are snobby, the pcms are too? ;) jk

Seriously, this blew more then half the time we paid for at the dyno just trying to get this working again.

Good side was I got the z06 up to 425fwhp :D up from the 410 stock just with the 3 quick pulls we were able to do.