PDA

View Full Version : 2011+ TCM Full flashing

rcr1978
December 29th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Has anyone tried to full flash a 2011 up TCM (T14) with EFILive yet? The TCM in my truck is intermittently taking a vacation verified with a replacement from a identical truck thought it was wiring at first then traded TCM's with another truck and the problems followed the TCM. I'm not wanting to go through the dealer for the flash of the new TCM and wanting to use my EFILive software and I have a stock TCM read from the truck before the problems started so the proper vin# will actually get flashed back in for the TCM. Also can A50, A51, & A52 TCM's be used in place of the T14 with the proper flash?

Thanks
Robert

rcr1978
December 30th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Just in case anyone want's to know I put the A50 out of my 2010 and Full flashed it for the 2011 so a A50 will work in place of the T14 TCM. Only thing is the vin# did not change from the 2010 truck I took the TCM out of so hopefully this can be fixed when we get A50 tuning support. I wonder why they call the new TCM a T14 when it's just a A50 or at least that's what EFILive's software sais?

GMPX
December 30th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Also can A50, A51, & A52 TCM's be used in place of the T14 with the proper flash?
Robert, the TCM models A51, A52 and T14 are all news to me :lookaround:

rcr1978
December 30th, 2014, 04:55 PM
The external appearance is the same on all of them I just didn't know if there was any hardware differences or not.

GMPX
December 30th, 2014, 05:08 PM
That makes two of us :redface:
If they are standard replacement TCM's via GM spares for the same model year truck then they are probably 100% compatible.

rcr1978
January 4th, 2015, 04:54 AM
Another update found that I could program the vin through the old V7.5 scan tool software.

killerbee
January 5th, 2015, 07:51 AM
The T14 has been around for a while now, I believe it replaced the A50. 2010 I think but not 100%.

rfinn04
January 11th, 2015, 05:54 AM
So has anyone tried to full flash a 2011+ tcm with the early lmm programming?

Dmaxink
January 11th, 2015, 12:12 PM
So has anyone tried to full flash a 2011+ tcm with the early lmm programming?

Will not work

rfinn04
January 11th, 2015, 04:51 PM
Has there been updates on lml tcm programming? I thought I read about it being in beta testing. Any idea on possible release dates if that is accurate?

cindy@efilive
January 11th, 2015, 06:45 PM
A50 TCM support covers 2009-2014. 2015 the TCM switched to a new controller which is also used on GM's new 8 speed gas vehicles.

Our next release will add mapping support for 2009-2010 TCMs.
2011+ has reading and flashing support, but no parameter mapping at this point.

Cheers
Cindy

THEFERMANATOR
January 12th, 2015, 02:38 AM
A50 TCM support covers 2009-2014. 2015 the TCM switched to a new controller which is also used on GM's new 8 speed gas vehicles.

Cheers
Cindy

What about the ability for full reads instead of cal reads?

cindy@efilive
January 12th, 2015, 09:32 AM
What about the ability for full reads instead of cal reads?

For the amount of work involved, which has the ability to significantly impact on existing functions, this is a low development priority.

When you measure that volume of work against the number of requests for this feature, it becomes unlikely support will be developed. I think the feature really is only suitable for 3 or 4 customers.

Cheers
Cindy

THEFERMANATOR
January 13th, 2015, 03:09 AM
For the amount of work involved, which has the ability to significantly impact on existing functions, this is a low development priority.

When you measure that volume of work against the number of requests for this feature, it becomes unlikely support will be developed. I think the feature really is only suitable for 3 or 4 customers.

Cheers
Cindy

I've had to send more than 3or 4 to the dealership for full flashes already, and I only do this as a hobby for fun. I'm not saying it should be raised to high priority, but I do think your underestimating how many people have needed this feature. At least we do have teh dealership option though to use when needed(just a pain to have to sit and tell them how to do it to get the flash you need).

GMPX
January 13th, 2015, 10:26 AM
Ok what about this for a solution.
The problem we have is the front end of the software is not configured for two read options, that was going to be the time consuming task. What about we just include two different scripts? The default is the cal only read that 99% of people will use, then we have another that you would need to manually rename each time the software gets installed that has the full read option?
Eg, it might be called A40_R_FULL.obj, you need to delete the normal cal read script and rename that one to A40_R.obj.

GMC-2002-Dmax
January 13th, 2015, 10:32 AM
That works, I can I test it, I got TIS and a A50 Bench harness.

That extra step is not an issue.

Thank You

GMPX
January 13th, 2015, 10:33 AM
I can test it here no problem, I'll do it when I can tie up my bench programming set up for hour :mrgreen:

GMC-2002-Dmax
January 13th, 2015, 10:38 AM
I can test it here no problem, I'll do it when I can tie up my bench programming set up for hour :mrgreen:

You must have a big stove there at EFI LIve, always got a pot on there cooking up something

Trans Tuner
January 26th, 2015, 05:33 PM
The problem we have is the front end of the software is not configured for two read options, that was going to be the time consuming task. What about we just include two different scripts? The default is the cal only read that 99% of people will use, then we have another that you would need to manually rename each time the software gets installed that has the full read option?
Eg, it might be called A40_R_FULL.obj, you need to delete the normal cal read script and rename that one to A40_R.obj.

Yes please, I am sure there are lots of us tuners out there that could make good use the full read feature and we'll be very happy with any "back door" method you guys can offer.

GMPX
January 26th, 2015, 07:05 PM
It will only be done once the next public release is out, please bump this thread if I forget to post the files in here within a few weeks.

Chavez91
February 19th, 2015, 11:16 AM
Bump

GMPX
February 19th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Yep, still haven't had time to even think about looking at it, sorry.

Chavez91
February 19th, 2015, 11:29 AM
No problem!

Biodiesel66
March 3rd, 2015, 06:10 AM

Any update?

cindy@efilive
March 3rd, 2015, 08:10 AM
When updates are available they will be posted here.

Cheers
Cindy

rcr1978
March 7th, 2015, 11:46 AM
I've had to send more than 3or 4 to the dealership for full flashes already, and I only do this as a hobby for fun. I'm not saying it should be raised to high priority, but I do think your underestimating how many people have needed this feature. At least we do have teh dealership option though to use when needed(just a pain to have to sit and tell them how to do it to get the flash you need).

Just curious what would we gain from the full read and why did you have to send them to the dealer what problems did you have. I thought we had a full read since we are able to change the OS on these or am I missing something?

GMPX
March 7th, 2015, 08:36 PM
Just curious what would we gain from the full read
That I don't know, but a small group of people are asking for A40/A41 full read ability (and yes, it takes over one hour to read them). I assume so they can change OS"s, but then you could do that with TIS as well.

I thought we had a full read since we are able to change the OS on these or am I missing something?
On the A50 yes because we can execute our own boot-loaders in these, meaning full reads are a matter of minutes and cal / full flash is also no problem. The A40 unfortunately is a different story and we are constrained by Allisons built in read/write routines.

Biodiesel66
March 8th, 2015, 01:40 AM
I'm looking for a copy of an A50 TCM .ctz tune that has this OS. 24259875 for a 2011?

I'll PM my email if you can help me out.
Thanks.

rcr1978
March 8th, 2015, 03:36 AM
Thanks for the explanation on the reads, also Biodiesel here is a trans tune hope it will work for you.

Biodiesel66
March 8th, 2015, 04:05 AM
Thanks for the explanation on the reads, also Biodiesel here is a trans tune hope it will work for you.

Thanks!! This will work.

durahax
March 8th, 2015, 09:34 AM
I personally had 2 A50 TCMs brick because it's not doing a true full flash apparently. Now I see Biodiesel trying to do almost exactly what I did and no one is telling him that's a bad idea. I had bought 2 TCMs one with A50-OS-24257093-TRANS-24258956.ctz on it and tried to flash A50-OS-24259875-TRANS-24259876.ctz and the TCMs are dead now! One died in truck and was on another OS, the other one was on the bench. I wouldn't recommend full flashing the TCM until true full flash is supported? I used tool only flashing and it's no way apparent that it's not a full flash. Since no one is telling you NOT to do this even after they were made fully aware of this is beyond me. Can you chime in Ross and let me know if you think it's safe to change OS's via a full flash on A50 in EFILive's current state?

GMPX
March 8th, 2015, 09:48 AM
I have not been made aware of any flashing issues with the A50, so what you wrote above is all news to me, I'm not sure what to suggest given nobody else has said there is an issue yet you are saying you've bricked two A50's. I'd like to hear from others who are full flashing A50's.

durahax
March 8th, 2015, 10:00 AM
I have not been made aware of any flashing issues with the A50, so what you wrote above is all news to me, I'm not sure what to suggest given nobody else has said there is an issue yet you are saying you've bricked two A50's. I'd like to hear from others who are full flashing A50's.

I opened a thread in the help desk, I even asked Andrew if I should pm you. I was assured you were fully aware. Anyway that makes two of us that are curious. I'm out 2 tcms, have one more on hand and was waiting for the update to allow full flashing. I have more info on the help desk, I'm really confused now. Has anyone changed the OS on a A50 that you know of? Each time at the end of flashing it said Error $06FF - Checksum Error.

Biodiesel66
March 8th, 2015, 10:09 AM

Cheers
Cindy

I'm planning on doing a Full flash as soon as I have the TCM. This week.

Did you use pass through or just the V2 when you had the issue?

durahax
March 8th, 2015, 10:18 AM
Just the V2. The second time on the bench I got the checksum error $06FF. So I figured leave it booted/ignition on and try flashing original controller OS. It won't communicate after that, Error: $0281 - No data received.

In earlier posts people mention going to the dealer because it won't full flash. So if it's suppose to handle changing the OS, what is the point of the full flash support?

GMPX
March 8th, 2015, 10:30 AM
I opened a thread in the help desk, I even asked Andrew if I should pm you. I was assured you were fully aware.
Well I don't remember, he may have sent something, how long ago was this?

Each time at the end of flashing it said Error $06FF - Checksum Error.
Ok, that shouldn't 'brick' the TCM, it just means the flash did not go in correctly and it failed the validation at the end of the process, the TCM should be recoverable.

It won't communicate after that, Error: $0281 - No data received.
Is that still the case?

So if it's suppose to handle changing the OS, what is the point of the full flash support?
Please stop being so negative in your posts, if you want us to help then please revise your attitude, it achieves nothing.

FWIW, the last revision to A50 Full Flashing was done on 17th Feb, 2014, it would be amazing to think that nobody else has full flashed an A50 in over a year, so I am going to assume for quite some time it has been working fine. Would you be willing to post here one of the tunes you've been trying to flash? I can test full flash it here on our A50.

Biodiesel66
March 8th, 2015, 10:44 AM
Just the V2. The second time on the bench I got the checksum error $06FF. So I figured leave it booted/ignition on and try flashing original controller OS. It won't communicate after that, Error: $0281 - No data received.

In earlier posts people mention going to the dealer because it won't full flash. So if it's suppose to handle changing the OS, what is the point of the full flash support?

It was my understanding that only Cali is supported for the A50 2009-2010. Not full Flashing.

durahax
March 8th, 2015, 10:54 AM
Well I don't remember, he may have sent something, how long ago was this?

Feb, 5th 2015

Ok, that shouldn't 'brick' the TCM, it just means the flash did not go in correctly and it failed the validation at the end of the process, the TCM should be recoverable.

I'll try again, but I've tried several times. It's like the TCM is unplugged, nothing at all. I'm just telling you what happened.

Is that still the case?

Yes

Please stop being so negative in your posts, if you want us to help then please revise your attitude, it achieves nothing.

Not sure how that question is negative, sorry if you feel that way. I'm being completely serious, what will full flashing do compared what it currently does now?

PS: I've been trying to be nothing but helpful. I even posted this on the help desk to try to fix it without posting on this thread. If you read the post you'll see what I mean. I also asked in the help desk if the files we already read out will be compatible with the full flash when available. Maybe you can clear this up for me. Whatever you need from me let me know.

durahax
March 8th, 2015, 11:01 AM
It was my understanding that only Cali is supported for the A50 2009-2010. Not full Flashing.

It was my understanding that the editor supported only 09-10 A50 OS so far. I thought we could still full read/write, I don't want to edit anything. I just had to flash the correct calibration that was on TIS.

Biodiesel66
March 8th, 2015, 11:08 AM
Any chance you can Post the TCM Tune. A50-OS-24259875- Calibration TRANS-24259876 as?

The earlier tune posted has Trans: Calibration Part # 24259877. I can't use that one.

durahax
March 8th, 2015, 11:11 AM
Any chance you can Post the TCM Tune. A50-OS-24259875- Calibration TRANS-24259876 as?

The earlier tune posted has Trans: Calibration Part # 24259877. I can't use that one.

Here you go, I have a bunch of them. Read them out whenever I get a A50 in the shop.

Biodiesel66
March 8th, 2015, 11:31 AM
Here you go, I have a bunch of them. Read them out whenever I get a A50 in the shop.

Thanks.

GMPX
March 8th, 2015, 02:43 PM
Not sure how that question is negative, sorry if you feel that way. I'm being completely serious, what will full flashing do compared what it currently does now?
Sorry, I think I misinterpreted your message, the wonders of the written word vs spoken word.
I'll try Full Flashing your tune tomorrow (it is a holiday here today).

rcr1978
March 8th, 2015, 04:06 PM
I swapped OS's twice on a 2010 A50, took it out of my 2010 full flashed it with a 2011 OS stuck it in the 2011 with no issue's pulled it back out and flashed it back to the 2010 OS and put it back into that truck with no issue's, when the new TCM showed up for the 2011 I full flashed the correct OS for it with no issue's either. All trans flashing was done in the V8 software though.

GMPX
March 8th, 2015, 06:05 PM
when the new TCM showed up for the 2011 I full flashed the correct OS for it with no issue's either. All trans flashing was done in the V8 software though.
Thanks for the feedback.
I am pretty sure V7.5 never had the option to read or flash the A50, so it would have been V8.

durahax
March 8th, 2015, 08:07 PM
Thanks for confirming this. If you say V8 works fine I'll attempt it tomorrow, I'll do it on the bench too. At least I'll have trace files this time. When I had them issues I used no computer, just the Flashscan V2. Maybe the problem lies in the scripting/configs for tool only flashing. I was confused after finding this thread because others mentioned needing to go to a dealer to full flash. I went through again and didn't notice the A40 got thrown in the mix. I skimmed really quick first time and the thread is titled "2011+ TCM Full flashing".

Trans Tuner
March 9th, 2015, 02:06 AM
Sorry for the confusion- we should have started a new thread I guess. Some of us want the ability to do a full read on TCMs with EFILive so that we will have those specific full files to full flash into NOS TCMs (new blanks) or used TCMs that need a full reprogram. This will allow us to do what we currently have to get a GM dealer to do, or at least someone with the dealer level programming stuff (TIS). As of right now full file reading cannot be done on any TCM with EFILive because there is no "full read" button to click on in V8. Once that ability is given us a full read can be done on any TCM that has a full read script written for it.

GMPX
March 9th, 2015, 08:40 AM
As of right now full file reading cannot be done on any TCM with EFILive because there is no "full read" button to click on in V8.
That is not quite right.
A40 = Only the calibrations area is read due to Allison speed restrictions.
A50 = Entire Flash memory is read as EFILive can use its own read and flash bootloaders.

Trans Tuner
March 9th, 2015, 08:52 AM
I guess I was the one confused the most- glad you set me straight.

Biodiesel66
March 16th, 2015, 11:38 AM
I just flashed the new A50 controller and everything went fine.

Using March 3,2015 release.

My only issue is. I can't for the life of me add the new Vin #. I see you can change it for the Tune file, but that doesn't load to the TCM. V2 pass through using the EFILive Tune/ PCM Security doesn't work and change Vin # in EFIlive Scan and Tune doesn't work either to update the TCM.

Any suggestions??

Biodiesel66
March 16th, 2015, 01:19 PM
Figured it out.

All done!!

thunder550
June 12th, 2015, 02:08 PM
Subscribing for updates. I just read out my 2011 A50 24259875/24259876 file successfully and emailed it to support@efilive.com. Is there mapping/editing functionality in the works?

vectorbundle
June 15th, 2015, 02:43 PM
is it known that a 09/10 k2500 calibration (say [24256581, 20759776]) works in 11+ LML k2500, or it definitely does not? since there is no 11+ edit support available yet...

THEFERMANATOR
June 16th, 2015, 01:27 PM
is it known that a 09/10 k2500 calibration (say [24256581, 20759776]) works in 11+ LML k2500, or it definitely does not? since there is no 11+ edit support available yet...

Pretty sure that is a no go. The ALLISOn changed in 2011 and added in a pressure control solenoid to control line pressure. By running an LMM tune, it will run max line pressure all the time. Somebody posted about this awhile back when they had to go back into a built LML and replace fried C5's and some other broken pieces because they put an LMM tune into an LML.

vectorbundle
June 17th, 2015, 01:01 AM
thank you for the info.

vectorbundle
June 23rd, 2015, 05:12 PM
how does EFIlive handle A50 hardware differences for full reflash? it does not seem to reflect any distinction between A50 and T14. the thing is that in some cases a VIN will use distinct operating systems (for A50 and T14) but the same trans calibration segment. so say i were to full flash into a T14 #24256861 a *ctz file read out of an A50 #25978353, will it work, or brick the T14, or...?

EDIT: never mind, i understand.

vectorbundle
September 30th, 2015, 05:44 AM
has anyone tried using a T14 with 09 LMM 2500 pickup code in an 06-08 2500 pickup? i know the reverse works (A40 in an 09). tia.

EDIT: tested 09 LMM 2500 calibrated TCM in 08 LMM 2500, doesn't work.

vectorbundle
November 7th, 2015, 07:00 PM
another question. has anyone used an A40 or A46/T14A calibrated with a 2500 pickup cal in a C4500/C5500 MD truck? i know values would need to be copied over to replicate the shift feel, etc. i just want to know if it works in general without intrinsic issues. iirc someone on diesel forum posted *something* about that but i wasn't paying attention to this subject at the time. thanks in advance.