PDA

View Full Version : '98 to '02 RR with COS5

RBbugBITme
January 5th, 2015, 02:02 PM
I have a 98 Corvette with almost no mods and I want to make sure I fully understand all the steps and parts involved in getting from where I am now to a speed density Roadrunner setup.
-
Buy a Flashscan V2 for $900 to start learning the software, install a WBO2, datalog, and tune till my heart’s content

At some point down the road I’ll need to buy an ECM from an ’02 Corvette
I can buy a lot of other 0411 ECM’s but buying from an ’02 Corvette will let me skip updating the OS and go straight to loading COS5 for SD, launch control, and valet mode
I guess another option would be to buy the Moates ECM for $599 and then download the '02 OS from tunefiledepot.com

- Rewire my harness based on pinouts from this website. http://corvetteforum.shelor.net/Corvette_PCM_Pinouts/Default.asp

I don’t really know what is involved in properly removing and reinstalling the wires. I think I’m going to have to practice soldering before I dig into this though. If anyone has a link with good instructions let me know. I read some wires that switch between connectors may need to be extended.
Take the time now to wire in a switch for valet mode.

- Install the modified ‘02 or direct-from-Moates ECM and download the OS and tune
- Copy over Express Van fuel segment info
- Copy over the tune I last had in the ’98 ECM and check for out of range cells?
- Upload the new ’02 OS with my tune from the ’98 and I should have an identically running car at this point?
- Once the car is running well again, I want to do a full flash of COS5 (02020005).
- Then flash my calibration file to the ECM
- Read the ECM back to save the file.
- Check again for out of range cells and save. This is the new master file.
- Flash only the calibration file again
- Start playing with real-time tuning and converting to speed density...

Thanks and anything you guys can clarify I'll update this post to reflect that.

joecar
January 6th, 2015, 03:01 AM
1.a,b. If you want to run COS5/02020005 you have to start with OS 12212156 which can be full flashed into a 0411 PCM.
1.c. Roadrunner comes with nothing on it.
2.a. You need to re-pin the PCM connector (i.e. move the pins around), soldering not required.
2.b. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. No... copy Fuel segment from an Express Van file.
5. No... 98 tune file will not copy... start with a 12212156 Corvette file (with same transmission as your car), and manually copy the critical tables, see if it runs.
6. see 5.
7. Yes
8. Yes (cal only flash).
9. Yes.
10. Yes.
11. Yes.
12. Yes; if you really need SD.

RBbugBITme
January 10th, 2015, 12:47 AM
Thanks joecar. Just to clarify #1, I can buy a V2 and start logging and tuning the 98 PCM right away. No rewiring necessary. When I'm ready to go to COS5 I can then find an 0411 PCM or buy Moates and download the 12212156 OS from Tunefiledepot.com and manually copy the tune I already have onto it.

As for #2 and soldering, I read a few places that some wires that switch between the red and blue connector may need to be extended.

joecar
January 10th, 2015, 03:57 PM
Sorry, the forum software had somehow marked your other posts as "moderated" (maybe due to the url to corvetteforum...).

Thanks joecar. Just to clarify #1, I can buy a V2 and start logging and tuning the 98 PCM right away. No rewiring necessary. When I'm ready to go to COS5 I can then find an 0411 PCM or buy Moates and download the 12212156 OS from Tunefiledepot.com and manually copy the tune I already have onto it.
Yes (logging/tuning 1998).

Yes (copy tune from 1998 to 0411/RR) but you would have to copy the tune manually table-by-table (since the 1998 OS does not align with the 2002 OS (which is what COS5 is based on)... if you copy all the tables, it would take about 2 hours or so.

As for #2 and soldering, I read a few places that some wires that switch between the red and blue connector may need to be extended.Ah, I see.

RBbugBITme
January 14th, 2015, 05:43 PM
This website will not let me edit my first post.

1/15/15 Updated first post

I have a 98 Corvette with almost no mods and I want to make sure I fully understand all the steps and parts involved in getting from where I am now to a speed density Roadrunner setup.
-
Buy a Flashscan V2 for $900 to start learning the software, install a WBO2, datalog, and tune till my heart’s content

At some point down the road I’ll need to buy an ECM from an ’02 Corvette
I can buy a lot of other 0411 ECM’s but buying from an ’02 Corvette will let me skip updating the OS and go straight to loading COS5 for SD, launch control, and valet mode
I guess another option would be to buy the Moates ECM for $599 and then download the '02 OS from tunefiledepot.com

- Rewire my harness based on pinouts from this website. http://corvetteforum.shelor.net/Corvette_PCM_Pinouts/Default.asp

I don’t really know what is involved in properly removing and reinstalling the wires. I think I’m going to have to practice soldering before I dig into this though. If anyone has a link with good instructions let me know. I read some wires that switch between connectors may need to be extended.
Take the time now to wire in a switch for valet mode.

Install the modified ‘02 or direct-from-Moates ECM and read the OS and tune
Manually copy over Express Van fuel segment info
Manually copy over the tune I last had in the ’98 ECM and check for out of range cells?
Upload the new ’02 OS with my tune from the ’98 and I should have an identically running car at this point?
Once the car is running well again, I want to do a full flash of COS5 (02020005).
Then flash my calibration file to the ECM
Read the ECM back to save the file.
Check again for out of range cells and save. This is the new master file.
Flash only the calibration file again
Start playing with real-time tuning and converting to speed density...