PDA

View Full Version : First Flash - Save in V7.5, Flash in V8???

CR500
January 19th, 2015, 01:45 PM
My tuner sent me a file thats a .ctz. I opened it in V8.2.2.258 (Yup, I see there's an update), go to flash and see a warning that says something like tunes should be opened / saved in V7.5 before flashing otherwise you may brick the computer.

Really? Is there a way to tell if my tuner sent me the file already opened / saved in V7.5? I did that, changed the name, and the extension is still ctz with the same file size.

Should I just flash w/V7.5? As a newbie having to go back / forth for various aspects of using the V2 just makes it more confusing!

Thanks

Rob

Blacky
January 19th, 2015, 07:54 PM
I presume it was an LS1B tune. There are two types of LS1B controllers, those that control the throttle via a physical cable and ones that control the throttle electronically by wire. If you are flashing into a vehicle that uses a cable throttle (i.e. F-body, camaro, trans-am) then you don't need to concern yourself with any of those warnings. If you are flashing into a vehicle that uses an electronic throttle (i.e. Y-Body, corvette) then you really should open the file in V7, and re-save it using the V7 software (or ensure that whomever supplied you with the file has already done so).

Doing so will ensure that all the electronic throttle control (ETC) tables are consistent. If the ETC tables are inconsistent then a vehicle that is using the ETC table may end up locking up the controller and going into permanent limp mode. There is no way to recover from that permanent limp mode other than removing the controller's flash chip and reprogramming it using an external flash programmer.

Based on your comment, it appears you have opened and re-saved the file using the V7 software. You can flash that saved file into your vehicle.

If your tuner edited and saved the file using the EFILive V7 software then it shoudl be fine. The problem usually occurs when someone reads a tune file from a non-ETC vehicle and flashes it (unmodified) into an ETC vehicle.

Eventually, when the V8 tune file editor is released, it will performa the same ETC checks and corrections as the V7 software. Until then it is best to make sure the file has been opened and saved using the V7 software.

Regards
Paul

CR500
January 20th, 2015, 04:45 AM
Ah, I forgot to mention it was for an LS1B! You are correct - Corvette w/electronic throttle. Definitely sounds like the prudent thing to do is to always open/save in V7 first. I don't want to lose control of my throttle! Guess I'll stay with V8 for the actual flash.

Now I just need to find out if the new tune needs a calibration or full flash.

Thanks!
Rob