PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake?

Trippin
May 3rd, 2006, 05:10 AM
Paul,

I saw on the news a Tsunami waring after a 7.8 Earthquake in NZ.

Is eveyrone ok?

Tordne
May 3rd, 2006, 07:41 AM
This is the first I had heard about it... Anyway, looks like the warning was cancelled and all is well :)

ringram
May 3rd, 2006, 08:18 AM
NZ gets earthquakes daily. Its right on the fault line. Most of the time it only makes regional news. A decent one will get a mention on the news. Ive been in 2 or 3 sizeable ones myself in Napier, a city which was wiped off the map in the 30's.

Tordne
May 3rd, 2006, 08:25 AM
Wellington gets them a lot (home of all our politicians) ;). That is the only place I have been in New Zealand where you can regularly feel them.

emarkay
May 3rd, 2006, 09:44 AM
This one was underwater, near Tonga.
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=1919864
http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411366/710128

Could have been a problem for the Kiwis, but this time all is well.

GMPX
May 3rd, 2006, 11:15 AM
And when they happen they will blame Australia for it :muahaha:

Cheers,
Ross

Tordne
May 3rd, 2006, 11:21 AM

Cheers,
Ross

If it became popular (not the earthquake) Australia would claim it as it's own :muahaha:

carneb
May 3rd, 2006, 11:58 AM
If we sent all the Kiwi's home that live in Oz then the extra weight would make the place more stable and there would be less earthquakes. ;) :lol:

Tordne
May 3rd, 2006, 12:18 PM
That seems like a good excuse to send all the Asians home as well then. There have been some big earthquakes in Japan :notacrook:

joecar
May 3rd, 2006, 12:49 PM
LoL... reminds me about Bondi and Kiwi jokes...

oops... I better watch myself, mind my manners...:bash: :D

TAQuickness
May 3rd, 2006, 08:51 PM

Cheers,
Ross

Are you sure W's global warming policies had nothing to do with it?

GMPX
May 4th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Last time 'W' was asked about global warming he's response was 'what warning'.

Cheers,
Ross

GMPX
May 4th, 2006, 12:35 AM
If it became popular (not the earthquake) Australia would claim it as it's own :muahaha:

:funnypost:

Blacky
May 4th, 2006, 08:26 AM
The Tsunami was headline news on the 6 o'clocknews. Well the "news" was just fact that the rest of the world reported that NZ was about to go under. No-one bothered to report it in NZ because there was nothing to report.

However, people in "the rest of the world*" rang their friends/relatives in NZ and warned them. While people were evacuating (at 6 am), the civil defense (who knew there was no Tsunami) did not bother to tell anyone that there was no Tsunami coming.

Like now anyone will believe them next time...

* The rest of the world is defined as anywhere that has a broadband internet that actually work as advertised. Sorry couldn't resist, what a shambles our broadband** internet is over here.

** In NZ broadband is the term loosley applied to any internet connection faster than 9600 baud :bash: (circa 1985).

Paul

Tordne
May 4th, 2006, 01:10 PM
The Tsunami was headline news on the 6 o'clocknews. Well the "news" was just fact that the rest of the world reported that NZ was about to go under. No-one bothered to report it in NZ because there was nothing to report.

However, people in "the rest of the world*" rang their friends/relatives in NZ and warned them. While people were evacuating (at 6 am), the civil defense (who knew there was no Tsunami) did not bother to tell anyone that there was no Tsunami coming.

Like now anyone will believe them next time...

I also really liked how all the coordinates for various New Zealand cites (provided in the alert) were complete wrong :)

* The rest of the world is defined as anywhere that has a broadband internet that actually work as advertised. Sorry couldn't resist, what a shambles our broadband** internet is over here.

** In NZ broadband is the term loosley applied to any internet connection faster than 9600 baud :bash: (circa 1985).

That was the second piece of big new in New Zealand yesterday. That finally there is going to be competition encouraged (possible) in the telecommunications industry, and therefore better internet/broadband plans. Allegedly all coming our way by the end of the year. YAYAYAYAY!!!

ringram
May 4th, 2006, 06:21 PM
NZ has a shocking broadband rank in the world. And not surprising, when I was there a couple of months ago, speeds were crap, like 256kb and there was a 1gb limit per month on downloads. You had to pay extra to go over that. I think other option were available for millionaires, but that was about it.

We have maybe 100 providers here, some just bulk buy and resell others stuff but you can get 8mb uncapped broadband for £15 a month. Or like $40 a month.

Blacky
May 4th, 2006, 07:47 PM
you can get 8mb uncapped broadband for £15 a month. Or like $40 a month.

:bawl::bawl::bawl::bawl:

caver
May 4th, 2006, 08:46 PM
NZ has a shocking broadband rank in the world. And not surprising, when I was there a couple of months ago, speeds were crap, like 256kb and there was a 1gb limit per month on downloads. You had to pay extra to go over that. I think other option were available for millionaires, but that was about it.

South Africa is little better.
I am on Iburst a wireless network which costs me R699 a month for a 3gb limit I can go over but then I get capped to 64k.
The fastest download I have seen is 89kb/s normal is around 15kb/s

GMPX
May 4th, 2006, 09:01 PM
I'm on 1.5Mb/512K for 10Gb limit for $50 per month, but ADSL2+ is coming very soon, 24Mb claimed!! for not much more per month.
Telco competition sorted our Government owned Telco years ago.

Cheers,
Ross

Tordne
May 4th, 2006, 10:11 PM
This has somewhat gone off topic :)

You are lucky to have a decent upload speed Ross. That is the most annoying thing for us here is that our upload speed is a crappy 128kb, unless you want to be paying close to $100 per month for the pleasure of 512kb.

The funny thing is that I was one of the first customers to have the DSL service when Telecom released it in Auckland (some years ago now) and at that time I had 8mb download and 800kb upload. Those are basically the upper limits for what ADSL 1.0 is capable of. So several years down the track I in fact have decidedly less bandwidth tan I did say 6 years ago :mad:.

Hopefully this deregulation will help. And if we can get ADLS 2+ at 24Mb then that would just total rocks. And hopefully like a 2 to 4Mb upload ;)

TAQuickness
May 4th, 2006, 11:04 PM
I heard on the radio (free FM) this morning that the tsunami was a 2 foot wave.

GMPX
May 4th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Hopefully this deregulation will help. And if we can get ADLS 2+ at 24Mb then that would just total rocks. And hopefully like a 2 to 4Mb upload ;)

I'm looking forward to it, the pricing from my provider looks pretty good too, but 1Mb upload speeds -
http://www.tpg.com.au/products_services/adsl2plus_pricing.php
I just need to wait for the local exchange to update.

Before I moved house just over a year ago I had cable internet, that was nice.

Cheers,
Ross

Tordne
May 5th, 2006, 06:40 AM
I heard on the radio (free FM) this morning that the tsunami was a 2 foot wave.

Yeah.. That wouldn't even get the surfer dudes out of bed let alone out to the coast :muahaha:

Tordne
May 5th, 2006, 06:48 AM
I'm looking forward to it, the pricing from my provider looks pretty good too, but 1Mb upload speeds -
http://www.tpg.com.au/products_services/adsl2plus_pricing.php
I just need to wait for the local exchange to update.

Before I moved house just over a year ago I had cable internet, that was nice.

Cheers,
Ross

Pricing etc. looks pretty good. The "Shaping" is nuts!!! They give you 24Mbit/1Mbit as plan, but once over data cap that knock you to 128Kb. That is one hell of a Shape!!! You would think with the base bandwidth that shaping should be something like 4Mbit/256Kbit or something.

ringram
May 5th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Gee thats a heavy BKR :)