PDA

View Full Version : E38 4000 PPM VSS Output

Lextech
February 10th, 2015, 08:26 AM
I am thinking of an E38 cruise control setup in a retrofit with No BCM. Table H0162 (2009 Vette cal) is configurable for 4K Vehicle Output Signal 1. Does anyone know which pin on the E38 this table corresponds to? Here is what I am thinking---Modify the top (Above the pivot centerline) of the DBW gas pedal with an extension arm. The cruise control cable would attach to this and work the gas pedal instead of the DBW throttle body. This if for a future project that I am thinking of. If there is a 4K VSS output then I don't see why this wouldn't work.

Jeff

Taz
February 11th, 2015, 03:10 AM
Hello Jeff,

It is always an awesome feeling starting a new project !!

To answer your question ... the description in H0159 is actually applicable to H0162 ... the 4K PPM output on your 2009 Corvette E38 OS is J1 (C1) pin 57.

Gen IV Corvette OS always feature a useable 4K VSS output ... this is sometimes disabled in Truck OS (but can be activated if needed).

If I may make a suggestion ... using a TBSS tune allows for direct ECM controlled Cruise Control, without any additional "add on" components. You pioneered the "Vortec to 0411" wiring harness repin - changing an existing E38 wiring harness to E67 connectors is a similar task.

Using a TBSS tune means using a TBSS gas pedal (APP) and a compatible Truck throttle body.

Cheers,
Taz

Lextech
February 11th, 2015, 04:48 AM
Thank You Taz.
I was thinking E38 C1-57 was for VSS output 2 and output 1 must be on another pin. Not so. I know next to nothing about the E38/E67.
You had recommended the E67 to me before and I have no disagreement about that. Here is why I would really like to use the E38:
1. I want to utilize the bigger IFR capability the was implemented in the E38 starting in 2009 (As far as I know).
2. I really enjoy (To a point) helping people with hotrod projects, and there are a LOT of E38 swaps out there with no cruise control.
3. If this could work it would make a lot of retrofit guys happy.

As always, I appreciate the help you provide me and the community.

Jeff

Taz
February 11th, 2015, 04:59 AM
...I want to utilize the bigger IFR capability the was implemented in the E38 starting in 2009 (As far as I know) ...

You are correct, the IFR tables changed in 2009 ... for both E38 and E67 ECMs

... there are a LOT of E38 swaps out there with no cruise control ...

Once again, you are very correct ... I have always used an E67 for any Gen IV project where Cruise Control was required.

I have wanted to set aside some time, to see if the E38 has the input / output capability for Cruise Control ... the parameters are within the code (as are Supercharger parameters), but there may not be a physical input / output for these "software" options.

sjfiore
March 31st, 2015, 09:26 AM
hello , new this forum and also planning on doing a retro fit into a 1952 chevy fleetline
using an 2009 Pontiac g8 gt with the L76 / 6L80E drivetrain
want to have cruise control and need some questions answered
is the VSS signal output a 4000 pulse /min signal?
Will be using a PSI Conversion engine harness which will have a vehicle speed output
from the ECM (E38) that I want to use as an input signal for a cruise control module
the cruise control module requires an 4000 ppm signal
also seen here that ecm/pcm can perform cruise control function
how do I accomplish that?

Taz
March 31st, 2015, 11:32 AM
... ecm/pcm can perform cruise control function how do I accomplish that? ...

Your 2009 G8 uses an E38 ECM, but Cruise Control activation / driver input is via the BCM.

With a lot of R&D perhaps you will be the first person to figure this out ...

sjfiore
March 31st, 2015, 11:41 AM
Several companies ( spanky's rod shop, M&R electronics ) have found a solution
Seems a company by the name of Rostra has a cruise control module that
plugs in between the DBW pedal and engine harness and feeds the throttle control module
It needs an 4000 pulse/ min. speed signal.from the ECM to work
Check out Rostra web site for a one line diagram they have posted
Steve

DURAtotheMAX
April 1st, 2015, 04:58 AM
The Colorado/Canyon used the E67 up until 2012, and they were Class 2/discrete input cruise control signals...<br><br>So maybe use a 2009-2012 Colorado E67 OS, to get the newer IFR tables?

Taz
April 1st, 2015, 05:45 AM
Several companies ( spanky's rod shop, M&R electronics ) have found a solution
Seems a company by the name of Rostra has a cruise control module that
plugs in between the DBW pedal and engine harness and feeds the throttle control module
It needs an 4000 pulse/ min. speed signal.from the ECM to work
Check out Rostra web site for a one line diagram they have posted
Steve

Neither of those options is a direct E38 ECM Cruise Control solution. Spanky's uses another in-line module to mimic the BCM.

The Rostra option ties into the APP (gas pedal) connector and attempts to control vehicle speed by voltage input to the ECM - these have been known to trigger Low Power Mode (Rostra has a warning about this included) - I wouldn't use one of these systems on a customer's vehicle for liability reasons.

PSS
May 29th, 2015, 01:21 PM
I am thinking of an E38 cruise control setup in a retrofit with No BCM. Table H0162 (2009 Vette cal) is configurable for 4K Vehicle Output Signal 1. Does anyone know which pin on the E38 this table corresponds to? Here is what I am thinking---Modify the top (Above the pivot centerline) of the DBW gas pedal with an extension arm. The cruise control cable would attach to this and work the gas pedal instead of the DBW throttle body. This if for a future project that I am thinking of. If there is a 4K VSS output then I don't see why this wouldn't work.

Jeff

Here are the pin locations for the VSS out for many of the OEM GM and other applications. This comes from the Lingenfelter STOV-003 mph switch instructions. The chart doesn't indicate the ECM type but I am sure you can figure that out.

Keep in mind that in addition to enabling the signal output in the ECM if it isn't already enabled in your software set, most devices will need a pull-up resistor to be able to read the VSS signal. In some applications this can be enabled in the software but the VSS and tachometer output pull-up enable isn't identified in most calibrations (not a lot of demand for that I assume). Otherwise you can just wire one in.

PSS
May 29th, 2015, 01:29 PM
What outputs do you need to make cruise control work?