PDA

View Full Version : 2012 cummins tables

LMMPerrona
February 11th, 2015, 06:43 PM
EFILive and cummins is way more confusing to me than the Duramax tables. I was trying to change my vgt position at idle. I looked throughout the tune and did not see anything saying vgt position. I saw 4 for minimum position and 4 for maximum position. 1 minimum and 1 maximum for engine brake on. I logged my position at idle and its at 87%. there is no table that says 87% at idle. What really throws me off is that all the "Turbo maximum position altitude range 1-4" maps show maximum of 54% now why am i getting 87% when logging it. Anyone know whats going on? Am I looking at the wrong place?

LMMPerrona
February 11th, 2015, 06:57 PM
by the way its a 2012 6.7 im working with. 12350331AN

GMPX
February 11th, 2015, 10:02 PM
VGT control on the Cummins is very complex, the tuners have found that just manipulating the min / max tables 'does the job'.
The Cummins seems to calculate the final position based on desired flow rather than a raw position. In the 2008-2009 ECM's we did add in a number of those flow tables but ultimately people seemed happy with just the min/max tables.
I do plan on adding in those airflow tables for another update but there is so many to add we decided not to do it for the initial release.

The 'factory' logging capabilities are not great on the 2010+, we are working on EDA for these which will give you better logging than what you are used to on your Duramax.

LMMPerrona
February 12th, 2015, 04:18 AM
I see. Well its just something different for me. I give u props cause for the end user seems confusing, I can only imagine when you're reversing these PCM's the headache it can be.

Thanks for the clarification I will mess with those tables.

SASDakota
February 12th, 2015, 05:23 AM
I am of the opposite, I feel more comfortable with the 4th gen ram than a LMM at this point.. :laugh:

GMPX
February 12th, 2015, 09:05 AM
I must confess I prefer to work with the Cummins ECM than Bosch.

SASDakota
February 12th, 2015, 09:17 AM
I must confess I prefer to work with the Cummins ECM than Bosch.

I really apreciate the fact that you guys went ahead on 2010-15 cummins ECMs. I know there is more in there than what we've been given access to (other tune devices).

LMMPerrona
February 12th, 2015, 09:17 AM
I've been moving some things around and it's just not responding too well. I'm thinking that since I have a CEL the truck is currently running on tables that I can't manipulate, that are not yet accessible in this release I'm using.

SASDakota
February 12th, 2015, 09:19 AM
I've been moving some things around and it's just not responding too well. I'm thinking that since I have a CEL the truck is currently running on tables that I can't manipulate, that are not yet accessible in this release I'm using.

The 2012's hated EGR unplug. Are those the codes you are referring to?

LMMPerrona
February 12th, 2015, 09:19 AM
Yes sir. I have mine blocked.

LMMPerrona
February 12th, 2015, 09:20 AM
Been running it blocked with CEL on but now want to make adjustments and it just doesn't respond

SASDakota
February 12th, 2015, 09:28 AM
Might I suggest plugging EGR back in, zero the tables, and remove the gear in throttle valve? Assuming those parts are available...

I went the freeze plug in crossover tube method.

LMMPerrona
February 17th, 2015, 05:31 AM
Might I suggest plugging EGR back in, zero the tables, and remove the gear in throttle valve? Assuming those parts are available...

I went the freeze plug in crossover tube method.
OK I gave that a shot. Truck is now code free. With 100 ohm resistors in egt sensor 3 and egt sensor 4. Egr plugged and throttle valve always open. I went ahead and also zeroed out post injection see how that will work.

Tomeygun
February 18th, 2015, 04:16 PM
I am of the opposite, I feel more comfortable with the 4th gen ram than a LMM at this point.. :laugh:

Amen to that. I'm holding back until EDA and hopefully.... the CSP. Until then I'm just kicking around playing with base files

SASDakota
February 18th, 2015, 05:25 PM
Amen to that. I'm holding back until EDA and hopefully.... the CSP. Until then I'm just kicking around playing with base files

Fortunately EDA will be a function of CSP and sounds like it may be in a partial testing phase WOOHOO!!!

I think its funny reading how a couple guys who still think they're going to be able to log their MCC tunes... DURRRR it don't work that way when you have to flash the CSP5 OS for EDA to work.

An interesting piece though, my auto enginuity software can read quite a few PIDs... makes me wonder why EFI can't/won't?

cindy@efilive
February 19th, 2015, 11:56 AM
Fortunately EDA will be a function of CSP and sounds like it may be in a partial testing phase WOOHOO!!!

I think its funny reading how a couple guys who still think they're going to be able to log their MCC tunes... DURRRR it don't work that way when you have to flash the CSP5 OS for EDA to work.

An interesting piece though, my auto enginuity software can read quite a few PIDs... makes me wonder why EFI can't/won't?

Nice design feature - you know any improvement those guy make means that at some point of time they had to flash their truck with EFILive. Does make you wonder why they'd bother given each time they want to make an enhancement to that single tune they need to reinstall an EFILive based tune to generate the log to determine what to change.

Our first release is not our last. The first release was designed to deliver measurable improvements for customers off a standard baseline. The actual results were better than that - with our beta testers delivering 40HP gains on trucks they had previously tuned with MCC. Over the coming 12 months we fully expect our offerings in terms of parameters/PID's to double.

From here on the sky is the limit.

Cheers
Cindy

GMPX
February 19th, 2015, 12:28 PM
Yes but are any of them actually useful for tuning? Sensor voltages etc, great for dealer techs but not tuning.

SASDakota
February 20th, 2015, 04:16 AM
Yes but are any of them actually useful for tuning? Sensor voltages etc, great for dealer techs but not tuning.

Ross, I know this is an EFI forum so I don't want to sit here and talk up other data acquisition software. But I do want to answer your question directly.

Some are, some are for transmission stuff that isn't mapped yet though. These are off the top of my head that I used recently.

Rail desired vs actual
Vein position desired vs actual
Turbine shaft speed (turbo not trans)
EGT temp sensors
EGR flow
EGR valve commanded vs actual
Transmission CVIs
Line pressure
Trans turbine speed
Output speed
Present gear
TCC state

So is there helpful info? yes. Is it anywhere near the level of EDA? IE: pilot us, *, main, etc... NOPE!!!!

I guess I am just reaching for info that I can get to while waiting for EDA, must be my impatience showing... :doh2:

SASDakota
February 20th, 2015, 04:19 AM
Nice design feature - you know any improvement those guy make means that at some point of time they had to flash their truck with EFILive. Does make you wonder why they'd bother given each time they want to make an enhancement to that single tune they need to reinstall an EFILive based tune to generate the log to determine what to change.

Our first release is not our last. The first release was designed to deliver measurable improvements for customers off a standard baseline. The actual results were better than that - with our beta testers delivering 40HP gains on trucks they had previously tuned with MCC. Over the coming 12 months we fully expect our offerings in terms of parameters/PID's to double.

From here on the sky is the limit.

Cheers
Cindy

I like the sound of that, and the ability to .CAX other items is very appealing when I make it to that level one day.

The only thing holding me back from just flat making the switch is lack of trans tuning. I have the ability to run 200+ psi line pressure but without commanding it I only get about ~160psi.

GMPX
February 22nd, 2015, 10:27 AM
Ross, I know this is an EFI forum so I don't want to sit here and talk up other data acquisition software. But I do want to answer your question directly.

Some are, some are for transmission stuff that isn't mapped yet though. These are off the top of my head that I used recently.

Rail desired vs actual
Vein position desired vs actual
Turbine shaft speed (turbo not trans)
EGT temp sensors
EGR flow
EGR valve commanded vs actual
Transmission CVIs
Line pressure
Trans turbine speed
Output speed
Present gear
TCC state

So is there helpful info? yes. Is it anywhere near the level of EDA? IE: pilot us, *, main, etc... NOPE!!!!

I guess I am just reaching for info that I can get to while waiting for EDA, must be my impatience showing... :doh2:
No that is fine, we know what the factory put in there for scantools, in fact with the SAE expanding the standard PID's for Diesels a while back there is certainly more useful data to be found. The 2013+ is a bit of a mess though as they have a mix of the old way to log and the new (almost GM way) to log. We just decided to not work with that and do EDA, no good to anyone just yet but that was our plan.

SASDakota
February 23rd, 2015, 09:16 AM
You guys need a thanks button.... ;)

I was pretty sure thats the case. How is EDA coming along?

GMPX
February 23rd, 2015, 09:45 AM
It is getting there, so many things to test and configure and unfortunately with no direct access to a truck it makes progress slow.

Mitco39
February 23rd, 2015, 10:08 AM
Ross,

What you need is direct access to a computer hooked up to a truck that can be remotely started, keyed off, and keyed on. Then you just can log into the computer start the truck from NZ and play all day from your desk.

SASDakota
February 23rd, 2015, 10:10 AM
^^^^ This might even be possible with tip start found in 4th gen rams.

GMPX
February 23rd, 2015, 11:11 AM
ahh, no :Eyecrazy:

SASDakota
February 23rd, 2015, 12:00 PM
Rotfl

b.scheid94
March 20th, 2015, 04:16 AM
when will the update be released opening more of the tables for the 2009 6.7?

mpdtune
March 20th, 2015, 06:42 AM
'09 6.7 should have everything that the '08s have.

b.scheid94
March 20th, 2015, 07:07 AM
so you wont be able to have more control on the vgt like you do with the duramaxes? my tuner was showing me and telling me how you just cant mess with the turbo like you can on a duramax

comnrailpwr
March 20th, 2015, 07:12 AM
The vgt on the Cummins is a lot more complex than the duramaxes. During beta the testers found that they could get the chargers to do what they wanted to with the tables we have currently.

SASDakota
April 14th, 2015, 09:20 AM

I want to clarify my dum dum moment....

I was trying to look at logs with v7 scan, v8 scan offered all the parameters I was used to seeing. Big whoops on my part!!

Cwalt50
December 10th, 2015, 07:01 AM
OK I gave that a shot. Truck is now code free. With 100 ohm resistors in egt sensor 3 and egt sensor 4. Egr plugged and throttle valve always open. I went ahead and also zeroed out post injection see how that will work.
Did that work good for you? And no cel?