PDA

View Full Version : reduced engine power p1514 KOER set at idle but P1518 set KOEO

megadeus
February 26th, 2015, 04:24 PM
The truck is a 2006 gen 3 4.8 1500 silverado.
It is converted to speed density and running on 80 lb/hr injectors.
Yes it has been tuned. By who, I have no fuggin' clue. - I'm thinking about reflashing the pcm to efilive eventually.
The engine will start and idle normally for 20 seconds. Everytime at 20 seconds, P1514 sets and the engine stalls. REP illuminates.

Most of the searches I've found around here have P1514 occuring way up in the RPM range, not at idle like im experiencing. :ermm:

I can't seem to lock down what changes at 20 seconds to set the REP/P1514.

If I apply throttle at any time before 20 seconds, P1514 sets with a subsequent stall. REP Illuminates.
If i clear codesand turn the key on with the engine off and manually apply throttle, P1518 with REP illuminates.(battery fully charged)

Throttle body harness inspection yielded no broken wires or burnt terminals. I replaced G103 and G104 grounds on the back of the heads.
I did a sweep test of the TPS #1and #2 on a bench with a scope and didnt find any glitches.

I inspected the connections at the TAC module and found no evidence of damage or tampering.

I don't know if this fact is important.. but right now it has a turbo kit on it but the intercooler system is not installed. So when I'm starting it, it's just an open throttle body.

I hate playing parts darts with cars and just posted this info in hope that these kinds of symptoms have been experienced before.

Thanks!

joecar
February 26th, 2015, 10:14 PM
P1514: look at tables C6101 and C6102.

Taz
February 27th, 2015, 02:43 AM
Post your tune ... could be many things ... wondering if it was flashed with a 2005 OS to support boost ... this would be incompatible with your 2006 TAC and APP.

Doc
March 30th, 2015, 07:16 AM
Post your tune ... could be many things ... wondering if it was flashed with a 2005 OS to support boost ... this would be incompatible with your 2006 TAC and APP.

In this boat right now. No 2006 COS? Tried using 05 got 95% to work. Goes WOT on dyno in 3rd. Goes WOT from a stand still off the dyno. Goes WOT from a 30+mph roll. Anything below 30mph slight blast and REP. Tried all of the usual stuff, C6101+C6102; Proportionally reduced Boost, Main, Injector. Have P068 set to one trip just to verify it is not the bad actor at this point. B6612 massaging has gotten me this far and completely maxing it out or leaving it stock don't work either. Any hints from the peanut gallery?

RADustin
March 30th, 2015, 07:50 AM
I had P1514 yesterday giving me issue with procharged ls1 running cos5.

I maxed c6101 for now before I can log and redo it correct. Didn't work. I then maxed c6102 and it worked, even though I am S/D confirm with P0102 code.

megadeus
March 31st, 2015, 03:49 AM
Ok guys, I'm back after a hiatus of acquiring an V2 and getting the PCM unlocked. I'm going to attach my current tune but I know I have something going on with my ETC hardware. If you look at the 'startup' log, you can see my ETC value going to >100% even when desired is nominal.

When I attempt to start the truck, the engine just coughs to life for a split second and that's where you see ETC going to the moon.

In my research I've noticed a lot of ETC issues specially with MY2003 GM truck platforms in relation to P1518. Could this program be suspect for 2003?

Am I limited to the 2003 original operating system as I have the 4L80E or can I ignore that fact and utilize an OS supporting the 4L60E automatic?

Build month/year = 08/2005
My current operating system is 3190003 (C0S3 assuming)
Injectors are Deka 109991 - 80 lb/hr
Transmission - 4L80E Auto
2 bar Map installed - (tutorial for EFIlive SD adjustments has been followed to the best of my limited knowledge)
TAC module Part # 407-000036 , stamped with a K and it has the full plastic APP pedal.

The P1518 still sets when the engine is KOEO only when i touch the gas pedal.

The log that reads 'handmove', i physically moved the throttle blade to record TPS feedback.

I appreciate any and all feedback and am willing to compensate someone willing to contribute their expert experience to help me.
Thanks,
Jason

megadeus
April 1st, 2015, 03:27 AM
After some fresh gas and spark plugs.....

I got it to fire but it's pig rich.

Whats my best avenue of attack to whittle the idle map down?

RADustin
April 1st, 2015, 03:31 AM
need to post the tune. Your IFR map can be off and the whole tune would be off if so.

megadeus
April 1st, 2015, 04:16 AM
need to post the tune. Your IFR map can be off and the whole tune would be off if so.

Is this the tune your asking for? Or is there a different format file? I included the data sheet I found on my currently installed injectors.
I've read that the 80lb/hr injectors are a tricky bugger to get lean enough for a lambda idle.

RADustin
April 1st, 2015, 04:20 AM
doesn't open for me??

ctz format is what we are looking for though.

megadeus
April 1st, 2015, 04:27 AM
ok. let me see if i have a permission not turned on with my efilive. brb.

megadeus
April 1st, 2015, 05:20 AM
ok. let me see if i have a permission not turned on with my efilive. brb.

I dont know if I have a box checked or not to share this calibration correctly. Maybe the previous file name was too long.

Please try this one:

megadeus
April 1st, 2015, 11:36 AM
I've been playing with B3701 and B4001. So far i've noticed that I can't get my IPW below 3.5ms at idle which is leaving me stupid rich. I'm right now trying to get my head around what it would take to get a good control of the injector pulse width to a minimum.
I attached my tune alterations with some new logs.

megadeus
April 1st, 2015, 03:27 PM
doesn't open for me??

ctz format is what we are looking for though.

RAD,
You have to update your EFILive software to view the file. I just tried to edit for a bit at home with my not so up to date PC's EFILive and it gave me the incompatible glitch.
Jason

joecar
April 2nd, 2015, 05:39 AM
Install newest software from here: March-2015-EFILive-Release-Candidate-1 (https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?25314-March-2015-EFILive-Release-Candidate-1)

RADustin
April 2nd, 2015, 06:31 AM
is the new release not backwards compatible?

RADustin
April 2nd, 2015, 08:27 AM
is your fuel pressure regulator manifold referenced? If it was it would help out a little.

it looks like your injectors are set in at ~97 lbs/hour. so I guess your injectors are 80lbs at 40 psi. That's pretty damn huge.

Your VE for idle looks high.

your logs are too short. But it looks like your map sensor is way off. 90kPa at 700 rpm. no way that is correct.

spark looks low at idle.

I think you have some mechanical issues to short. Then you can work on the tune.

megadeus
April 2nd, 2015, 04:10 PM
is your fuel pressure regulator manifold referenced? If it was it would help out a little.

it looks like your injectors are set in at ~97 lbs/hour. so I guess your injectors are 80lbs at 40 psi. That's pretty damn huge.

--- yes, your right the injectors are 80 lb

Your VE for idle looks high.

--- I copied the VE from the stock 2006 4.8 VE table verbatim. Did I miss a setting or scaling?

your logs are too short.

--- I only let the engine run long enough to see which direction the IPW was heading on the PID, ie too high.

But it looks like your map sensor is way off. 90kPa at 700 rpm. no way that is correct.

-- I'll work on the Map sensor setting ( I understand how bad the MAP can muck things up if wrong)

spark looks low at idle.

I think you have some mechanical issues to short. Then you can work on the tune.

I do have a new question and I might just pose it in a new thread for better exposure.
Since I have a 2003 COS3 tune installed, Do I need the older APP sensor (metal gas pedal sensor) installed?
I have the newer 2006 style APP (all plastic)

megadeus
April 7th, 2015, 11:57 AM
Hi guys, the insanity continues but this one really makes me go hmm....

I have what appears to be the OEM 4.8 throttle body; part # 1257080 currently installed. I watched my data while I manipulated the throttle by hand with the KOEO previously and saw a full sweep of the TPS 1 and 2 pids. I thought, cool, I have good info being fed to the TAC module. I've persistently gotten the P1518 code set when I touch the throttle with the KOEO.

The only time is doesn't set is when I go WOT quickly. The throttle blade is held WOT as well. No REP is set as long as WOT throttle is maintained, but as I cascade back to the idle position, boom, CEL sets P1518. Vat da' Furk!

I've overlaid circuit 581 and 582 pin to pin to eliminated any voltage drops. I saw 0.3 volt drop on cir 583 and said, f'it lets overlay. Now I have 0.0 volt drop from pin to pin on 581/582. Yes, I have those super f'in sharp syringe needle probes to backprobe the connectors.

Now, I'm staring at this throttle body and figured, 'hey lets see if I can get a voltage sweep across the potentiometers in that ETC module.' I took off the black plastic end cap of the ETC and made female probes to contact pins H&G with a ohm meter. My bench test revealed 400~600 ohms for about 15 degrees of sweep then it went open circuit for the remaining sweep area. I also put my probes on pins E&F and got almost the same results.

Is there a mistake I'm performing on this component when performing a sweep test? I'm using a fluke 88 meter.

FYI. this truck did have methanol injection on it before the throttle body. Have there been instances of throttle bodies being poisoned from methanol usage?

joecar
April 7th, 2015, 02:21 PM
is the new release not backwards compatible?You have to update your V2's firmware (from the V8 newly installed software).

It will open/read .tun and .ctz files.

If saves as .ctz only (i.e. .tun has been replaced by .ctz).

megadeus
April 9th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Update: I just had that aha moment along with my tps glitch.
simply put... the tac module/app sensor has to match my PCM+operating system. A 2003 pcm/operating system is currently uploaded. The tac module/app sensor is the 2006 oem installed parts.... so I'm going to install 2003 hardware to match my 2003 PCM and kick this P1518 code in the jimmy.
All grounds have been voltage dropped pin to pin. All circuits have been volt dropped from the TAC, APP, and PCM. I voltage dropped every damn ground on the truck and the worst reading I have is 0.02 volts.

megadeus
April 11th, 2015, 08:58 AM
Success! Installing the matching 2003 gas ped and TAC module results in no REP mode and I now have smooth throttle operation.