PDA

View Full Version : A40 Full Read option

GMPX
March 9th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Hi All,

A number of people have been asking for this, so here is the first test for you to see if this is going to work out for those that are interested.
This is a manual process to make this work, but if feedback is good we will include the modified script in each EFILive update (but you will still need to manually rename the files as majority of users do not want this option).

All you need to do is download attached zip and extract the script 'A40_R_Full.obj' in to the folder -
:\Program Files (x86)\EFILive\V8\Config (Win7, 64 bit assumed)

You should create a back up of the 'cal only' read script first should you need to revert back to it.
In the folder listed above will already be a file called - 'A40_R.obj'
Rename this something like A40_R_Cal.obj, then you know it is the original calibration only read script.

Now change the name of the attached .obj file you just saved from A40_R_Full.obj to A40_R.obj
I've also added the same script that will work with V8 build 277, same process as above to enable it.

When you next attempt to read an A40 you should see that it is going to do a full read. V8 will only look for the script A40_R.obj,so whatever one you have named as that is the one that will be used to read the TCM.
Be warned, probably don't try this on a truck as it takes about one hour to do a full read of the A40 (thanks for that Allison).

Cheers,
Ross

Chuck CoW
March 9th, 2015, 06:18 PM
Hi All,

A number of people have been asking for this, so here is the first test for you to see if this is going to work out for those that are interested.
This is a manual process to make this work, but if feedback is good we will include the modified script in each EFILive update (but you will still need to manually rename the files as majority of users do not want this option).

All you need to do is download attached zip and extract the script 'A40_R_Full.obj' in to the folder -
:\Program Files (x86)\EFILive\V8\Config (Win7, 64 bit assumed)

You should create a back up of the 'cal only' read script first should you need to revert back to it.
In the folder listed above will already be a file called - 'A40_R.obj'
Rename this something like A40_R_Cal.obj, then you know it is the original calibration only read script.

Now change the name of the attached .obj file you just saved from A40_R_Full.obj to A40_R.obj

When you next attempt to read an A40 you should see that it is going to do a full read. V8 will only look for the script A40_R.obj,so whatever one you have named as that is the one that will be used to read the TCM.
Be warned, probably don't try this on a truck as it takes about one hour to do a full read of the A40 (thanks for that Allison).

Cheers,
Ross

Interesting. When you say "don't try this on a truck" do you mean only on the bench?

Were there many OS updates for the A40 trans controllers?

Thanks
Chuck

GMPX
March 9th, 2015, 06:24 PM
Well you can do it on a truck as long as you have a spare battery to start it when the read is done :hihi:

DURAtotheMAX
March 10th, 2015, 04:01 AM
Awesome!!!! Thanks Ross, this is a huge help.

"go get a coffee, one hour to go" hahahaha :rotflmao:

Ben

GMC-2002-Dmax
March 10th, 2015, 04:29 AM
Bench Harness powered up and A40 on it,

Thanks a Bunch Ross !!!!!!!!!!

DURAtotheMAX
March 10th, 2015, 04:41 AM
Bench Harness powered up and A40 on it,

Thanks a Bunch Ross !!!!!!!!!!

Im at 41 minutes down, 14 minutes to go...am I going to beat you Tony? :mrgreen:

DURAtotheMAX
March 10th, 2015, 05:04 AM
Ross, I tried opening the full-read file in V7, and it comes up with an error message saying unsupported calibration?

GMPX
March 10th, 2015, 07:43 AM
And if you just read the cals only on that one does V7 open the file?

DURAtotheMAX
March 10th, 2015, 08:16 AM
Yes, I just did a full read and cal read on the same TCM....cal read opens normally in V7, full read gives unrecognized PCM error.

With the full read, the OS also reports weird, shows OS as 00074624. The actual OS of the TCM is 15827766.

Want me to email both cal and full reads to you Ross?

GMPX
March 10th, 2015, 10:32 AM
Yes please.

Chavez91
March 10th, 2015, 01:12 PM
Thanks a ton!

DURAtotheMAX
March 10th, 2015, 11:38 PM
What email should I send it to? support "at" efilive.com?

Ben

rcr1978
March 11th, 2015, 02:11 AM
Just curious guys what's to be gained by changing the OS on the A40's other than a TCM swap I thought all 3 years pretty much shifted similar? Sure would be nice to be to flash one of these OS'sin the old TCM's (01-05) but wishful thinking LOL.

GMC-2002-Dmax
March 11th, 2015, 04:21 AM
Just curious guys what's to be gained by changing the OS on the A40's other than a TCM swap I thought all 3 years pretty much shifted similar? Sure would be nice to be to flash one of these OS'sin the old TCM's (01-05) but wishful thinking LOL.

I have a "Magic TCM" file, A40 like the early 2001 OS was.

DURAtotheMAX
March 11th, 2015, 04:43 AM
I have a "Magic TCM" file, A40 like the early 2001 OS was.

You mean one that has dumber learning and shifts a lot better? I think I might know which one you're referring to. :)

rcr1978
March 11th, 2015, 04:54 AM
It's not nice to make fun of us special kids LOL 18108

GMPX
March 11th, 2015, 09:30 AM
That'll Email address will be fine Ben.

DURAtotheMAX
March 11th, 2015, 09:40 AM
Email sent!

GMPX
March 11th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Welcome to the misery of being at the mercy of the OEM, Ben it looks like the TCM sent back a couple of bad bytes which threw everything out of whack. The read routine in the A40 is really quite appalling.
Sorry to say but you'll just have to try it again.

DURAtotheMAX
March 12th, 2015, 12:15 AM
Ah ok, no big deal. Ill try reading it again and report back.

Chavez91
March 12th, 2015, 01:17 AM
Soooooo....... does this mean Tony won? [emoji23]

killerbee
March 16th, 2015, 07:00 AM

Restoring electrically corrupted TCM's.

Fixing a corrupted TCM is not possible without full overwrite capability. I have about 50 A40 TCM's that are probably fine, but because of the corruption, cannot be used, as TIS does not allow the overwrite in these cases.

killerbee
March 16th, 2015, 07:55 AM
For anyone who knows, with this change, does the full flash icon appear clickable in V7?

GMPX
March 16th, 2015, 10:34 AM
Restoring electrically corrupted TCM's.
Not sure what you mean by that.

For anyone who knows, with this change, does the full flash icon appear clickable in V7?
V8 only.

killerbee
March 16th, 2015, 01:36 PM
In many TCM's I have noticed that a software corruption that leaves the file damaged in some way, TIS will not recognize the TCM as viable. I think I have had this happen with some ECM's also. Once full flashed with EFIlive, it can then be written to with TIS subscription. I believe most of these corruptions are electrically induced by battery chargers, or jumper cables.

GMPX
March 17th, 2015, 10:10 AM
TIS is just very fussy, they try to protect the end user from dumping in what GM consider incompatible programs, if all the reported numbers don't line up it usually shuts you out. I'm not sure how that works at dealer level, I know there is some controllers that TIS will not flash unless it has a full program in it, which would make a failed flash recovery an interesting situation.

killerbee
March 17th, 2015, 12:37 PM
TIS is just very fussy, they try to protect the end user from dumping in what GM consider incompatible programs, if all the reported numbers don't line up it usually shuts you out. I'm not sure how that works at dealer level, I know there is some controllers that TIS will not flash unless it has a full program in it, which would make a failed flash recovery an interesting situation.

I think this describes the problem I have seen

killerbee
May 15th, 2015, 04:47 AM
Ross, is the A50 full read option available? If so, can you provide that replacement file?

killerbee
May 15th, 2015, 06:15 AM
I tried the new A40 file swap in this thread. V7 still reads as cal read (5 minutes). V8 does not read at all. I just get the message, "script file not supported by current software version". 8.2.2 build 269 is what I have.

GMPX
May 18th, 2015, 08:55 AM
I've updated my original post with a full read script that will work with V8 Build 277 (which at this present time is the most current release).
V7 read will not change with these files, that is fixed in the software.

killerbee
May 18th, 2015, 11:55 AM
I've updated my original post with a full read script that will work with V8 Build 277 (which at this present time is the most current release).
V7 read will not change with these files, that is fixed in the software.

Thank you. Nothing for the A50 then ?

GMPX
May 18th, 2015, 12:15 PM
In what way?

killerbee
May 18th, 2015, 12:16 PM
In what way?

Full read capability

GMPX
May 18th, 2015, 01:21 PM
Full read for the A50 has been in V8 since 2009, we have total control over the A50 for reading/flashing (unlike the A40) so a full 3Mb read takes about 2 minutes :good:

killerbee
May 18th, 2015, 01:35 PM
Full read for the A50 has been in V8 since 2009, we have total control over the A50 for reading/flashing (unlike the A40) so a full 3Mb read takes about 2 minutes :good:

Understood, thank you.

killerbee
May 19th, 2015, 08:23 AM
I got the same result as above at the end of an hour. OS Checksum error

OS is...103

GMPX
May 19th, 2015, 10:51 AM
And I can only respond with what I told Ben.....

The read routine in the A40 is really quite appalling. Sorry to say but you'll just have to try it again.

There is nothing we can do to speed it up or improve the stability of it, we are 100% at the mercy of Allison with this. I did have it read my A40 TCM here yesterday before posting it and it did work without error on mine.

killerbee
May 19th, 2015, 11:17 AM
And I can only respond with what I told Ben.....

The read routine in the A40 is really quite appalling. Sorry to say but you'll just have to try it again.

There is nothing we can do to speed it up or improve the stability of it, we are 100% at the mercy of Allison with this. I did have it read my A40 TCM here yesterday before posting it and it did work without error on mine.

I have tried on several now, including a brand new one, with checksum error result.

GMPX
May 19th, 2015, 01:34 PM
Can you please Email the files to support and we will try to see where it is failing (if it is always the same place), though there is probably not much we can do to resolve it if the TCM is no behaving.

GMC-2002-Dmax
May 19th, 2015, 04:24 PM
I'll give it a go tomorrow, I have a brand new A40 and I can tie the PC up for an hour if I need to.

I will email any failed files or successful ones

GMPX
May 19th, 2015, 04:31 PM
I will email any failed files or successful ones
Please don't, they will either work or not, just let us know in here thanks.

Actually, what you could both try if this isn't your set up, have no other modules on your bench set up, the Allison is using 29bit CAN where the ECM's are 'normal' , it might be that with two modules on the bus talking different CAN protocols over that hour something gets messed up. You need to put a CAN load on the TCM if it is the only thing connected (120 Ohm resistor over CAN H and CAN L).

GMPX
May 19th, 2015, 07:17 PM
I think there might be more to it than read errors, the files from TIS also fail checksums for some OS's, back to the drawing board on this painful one :bawl:

GMC-2002-Dmax
May 19th, 2015, 11:19 PM
Please don't, they will either work or not, just let us know in here thanks.

Actually, what you could both try if this isn't your set up, have no other modules on your bench set up, the Allison is using 29bit CAN where the ECM's are 'normal' , it might be that with two modules on the bus talking different CAN protocols over that hour something gets messed up. You need to put a CAN load on the TCM if it is the only thing connected (120 Ohm resistor over CAN H and CAN L).

My harness mimics the CAN load from EFI Connections

killerbee
May 27th, 2015, 11:40 AM
Tried 2 others today, resulted in the same checksum errors. I have not yet had a successful read.

GMPX
May 27th, 2015, 11:45 AM
We think the issue is with some OS's not enabling all the checksums we validate. Off the top of my head there is six, on the files that are failing it would appear that some are not actually used (therefore they have a zero value), currently V8 doesn't realise this and simply assumes the checksum is not correct. We are going to have to put in place some system to check what checksums are active and what ones are not (assuming this is the problem).
Hopefully the three people that want this appreciate the amount of hours we have to put in to this A40 'full read' option once it is done :music_whistling_1:

Chavez91
May 27th, 2015, 12:23 PM
There's more, we just keep our heads low, read, and wait :angel_innocent:

Chuck CoW
May 27th, 2015, 12:32 PM
Ross.... We have to you thank for everything we have.

You are very much appreciated.

If I had your job I'd be cross eyed. :Throwup:

Thank you.
Chuck CoW

GMPX
May 27th, 2015, 12:51 PM
Hey Chuck, I was just about to sit down and add in 1,000 T43 tables, but I think I'll keep working on this A40 issue instead.

Chuck CoW
May 27th, 2015, 01:45 PM
Ok fine.... Then I don't send your birthday present....

But tonight I'll be sending you some T87 cals tonight...... GET TO WORK MY BOY!

Chuck CoW

GMPX
May 27th, 2015, 02:02 PM
GET TO WORK MY BOY!
Chuck I can say with 110% certainty that no matter what you say it will not change what I am currently working on or what I plan on working on next, but thanks for your requests :tongue:
Around here when anyone mentions a controller that begins with 'T' we all run and hide.

Chuck CoW
May 27th, 2015, 02:31 PM
Chuck I can say with 110% certainty that no matter what you say it will not change what I am currently working on or what I plan on working on next, but thanks for your requests :tongue:
Around here when anyone mentions a controller that begins with 'T' we all run and hide.

Looks like some new T-shirts are in order.... and a big "T" on the front and back!

Chuck CoW

GMPX
May 27th, 2015, 03:14 PM
It's ok, we get all our oil rags from a place down the road so no need for those special shirts you want to get printed.

THEFERMANATOR
May 31st, 2015, 04:24 AM
There's more, we just keep our heads low, read, and wait :angel_innocent:

What he said.

GMC-2002-Dmax
May 31st, 2015, 04:56 AM
We think the issue is with some OS's not enabling all the checksums we validate. Off the top of my head there is six, on the files that are failing it would appear that some are not actually used (therefore they have a zero value), currently V8 doesn't realise this and simply assumes the checksum is not correct. We are going to have to put in place some system to check what checksums are active and what ones are not (assuming this is the problem).
Hopefully the three people that want this appreciate the amount of hours we have to put in to this A40 'full read' option once it is done :music_whistling_1:

We really do appreciate your efforts, especially if those "T" controllers get shelved for the A40..........LOL

GMC-2002-Dmax
June 1st, 2015, 05:36 AM
I got a FULL READ, the OS has invalid checksum but I can open it with the V7.5 tune tool.

Ross ????

It opened in V7.5.

Thanks

GMPX
June 1st, 2015, 10:44 AM
It opened, but did the checksums show ok in V7?

GMC-2002-Dmax
June 1st, 2015, 02:17 PM
One part did and one part did not ??

GMPX
June 1st, 2015, 02:44 PM
Ah of course, V7 doesn't even look at the OS checksums (when that was put in there was no intention of every offering full reads), move on, nothing new to see here :doh:

GMC-2002-Dmax
June 2nd, 2015, 01:30 AM
So since V8 has a failed check sum then there is still a failure on the full read..........:(

GMPX
June 2nd, 2015, 10:39 AM
I give up, please re-read my posts Tony.

GMC-2002-Dmax
June 2nd, 2015, 01:08 PM
On to those pesky "T" controllers, thanks for the efforts

vectorbundle
August 7th, 2018, 07:46 AM
Hi Ross,

Updated to today's current version [EFILiveV8.2.16_Setup.exe], which apparently clashes with your A40_R_Full.obj script. Get Error $0503: Script file not valid. Do you think you could post R_Full script that works with current V8 version?

Thanks,
Alex

GMPX
August 7th, 2018, 09:08 AM
I'll have to dig through some back ups at some stage, certainly on my current PC I don't have the script that allows a full read.

vectorbundle
August 7th, 2018, 10:34 AM
I'll have to dig through some back ups at some stage, certainly on my current PC I don't have the script that allows a full read.

OK, thanks. Attached is your old script if that may help.

-A

GMPX
August 7th, 2018, 10:55 AM
The old script doesn't help, I just need to find it on a backup somewhere......don't expect it ASAP :)

vectorbundle
August 7th, 2018, 11:28 AM
of course. thanks for looking into it at all. please take your time, it's not urgent for me.

thanks,
A

GMPX
August 7th, 2018, 01:37 PM
The one hour plus read time will still apply though :doh2:, nice one Allison!

GMC-2002-Dmax
August 9th, 2018, 02:40 AM
IIRC the checksums never calculated correctly, it was a real big mess with the amount of hardware versions and the older A40 and the Newer T series controller made a mess of it.

I know Kennedy and myself tried numerous times to get the full read and it would not save to a checksum that was correct.

It would be awesome if if could be something we can get to read/save stable.

Thanks

GMC-2002-Dmax
August 9th, 2018, 02:40 AM
IIRC the checksums never calculated correctly, it was a real big mess with the amount of hardware versions and the older A40 and the Newer T series controller made a mess of it.

I know Kennedy and myself tried numerous times to get the full read and it would not save to a checksum that was correct.

Thanks

GMPX
August 9th, 2018, 10:08 AM
I know, the checksum situation was odd in that some OS's would read perfectly every time, others were never correct. Like the miserable read processing in the TCM got it wrong or the OS's didn't actually have the checksums active and therefore the value was not correct.
My findings were:

15827766 = Passes
10377105 = Always Fail
25941751 = Always Fail
25941752 = Always Fail

Probably not possible, I'm told not even the factory Allison tool does full reads on the A40, it is the cal area only, I think that says it all.

Chavez91
August 9th, 2018, 10:35 AM
If it matters at all or helps, Here is an A40 Full read that works..... =]

GMPX
August 9th, 2018, 12:54 PM
Yeah that seems to be the only one that reads out ok and it reads ok every time. Nothing more frustrating than waiting an hour only to see the red 'x' on the OS segment checksum :crash:

Chavez91
August 10th, 2018, 02:16 AM
Ill see if I can hunt down one of those other O.S's and give'er a try.

Rthms20
December 17th, 2019, 03:04 PM
If it matters at all or helps, Here is an A40 Full read that works..... =]

Have you successfully flashed this file into a blank A40 ?