PDA

View Full Version : 2012 cummins ecm flash $0549a, key not in ignition

jkholder09
March 12th, 2015, 02:27 AM
I flashed the ecm and it did not accept the download. I think the truck is not seeing the key. I have no access to dtc tables to turn off security here so I was hoping someone may have a suggestion. I saw another thread where a fellow disconnected the batteries and got it going but it still had some issues.

My download wenbt all the way to the end and erased like 5 segments so I am pretty sure it wiped out whatever was in the ecm.
I am looking to start fresh with a new rsa file but that is where I am getting the error code.

jkholder09
March 12th, 2015, 04:58 AM
update for anyone with this issue. batteries off and factory dodge reflash bring the ecm back but it has a serial number of all 0's.
I am currently exploring how this may fix it.
Does anyone know how to change the ecm serial number in this ecm?

Mitco39
March 12th, 2015, 05:44 AM
You cant change the serial number. You tried full flashing in a perfectly clean tune? I know EFILive would reset it on the older ECMs but this is the first I heard about a dodge controller doing this.

2007 5.9
March 12th, 2015, 06:34 AM
Did you flash in the RSA boot block first?

GMPX
March 12th, 2015, 10:17 AM
I flashed the ecm and it did not accept the download.
Sounds like you initially got error $0340, download not accepted? If so then you do need to patch the ECM first, see here:
http://download.efilive.com/Tutorials/PDF/Cummins%20BootRSA%20Patch%20User%20Guide.pdf

update for anyone with this issue. batteries off and factory dodge reflash bring the ecm back but it has a serial number of all 0's.
Until the ECM is patched then it will only accept stock tunes (which is why you were able to reflash the factory file ok). The serial number is not lost, recovering the ECM's requires a different strategy so we don't report back to the PC screen the ECM serial or VIN etc.

Does anyone know how to change the ecm serial number in this ecm?
Not possible, you will find that now the ECM has a completed flash in it the serial number will report as normal.

jkholder09
March 15th, 2015, 02:01 PM
I think the first patch flash did not go. I just assumed it did because I walked away. I think my laptop may have went to screen saver while I was with a customer. That was most likely my mistake.
I did get it back using a FILE titled unlock.ctz that was provided to me by another tuner.
As of the time I released the vehicle the serial number checked on obd was all 0's.
I experience no driivability or communication problems and the customer has had the vehicle for 4 days with no reported problems.

I will be very sure to verify the patch in the future this could have very well cost the ecm.

GMPX
March 15th, 2015, 02:43 PM
I will be very sure to verify the patch in the future this could have very well cost the ecm.
No you'll be right, it is VERY hard to kill these ECM's beyond recovery.

Mitco39
March 15th, 2015, 03:04 PM
I have had my V2 become unplugged RIGHT at the start of the erasing at the very start of the flash. Still recovered it via EFI Live with no issues. If it can survive that I have no doubts that anything you might have done would brick the ECM.