PDA

View Full Version : New to Tuning, Struggling with VE adjustments

rbp4u
March 15th, 2015, 07:50 AM
Ok, So I have searched and read tons of VE tuning tutorials and such but am having a very hard time wrapping my head around the tuning for this truck. I have made simple changes with positive results but I cant figure out how to relate others VE stuff to my particular application. Does anyone have any suggestions or maybe a thread that I have missed? Getting more confused and frustrated as time goes on, I'm very near the "let someone else do it" stage. lol

Thanks for any help.

- Mario

swingtan
March 15th, 2015, 10:53 PM
Have you read this one?

https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?8961-E38-VVE-Setup-Guide

rbp4u
March 16th, 2015, 02:13 AM
That is the main how to that I have been using, but I am struggling getting the BEN factor table to produce numbers. (I always end up with a table of 0.0's)

I also am afraid I am trying to combine too many different tutorials. I guess my question should be, once I get through the set-up process of your tutorial, what do I do when I get to the logging portion? I'm struggling knowing what to do with the data I have at hand.

BTW, this is on the 08 Chevy that is in my sig, Im also using a AEM Wideband, if that makes any difference.

swingtan
March 16th, 2015, 09:22 AM
Post a log and I'll check to see if you have right PID's. It sounds like you may be missing something.

joecar
March 16th, 2015, 09:50 AM
What pid are you using as the BEN pid...?

joecar
March 16th, 2015, 09:51 AM
If your AEM wideband has serial comms ability, are you using it (to read Lambda)...?

joecar
March 16th, 2015, 09:53 AM
For example, the BEN pid can be defined as {EXT.WO2LAM1}/{SAE.LAMBDA}

but it depends your wideband connection and whether SAE.LAMBDA works on your ECM.

rbp4u
March 16th, 2015, 10:39 AM
I have been using the serial comm, but not lambda. I have been using it to read in AFR. I will try and get a log this evening or in the morning to post.

rbp4u
March 17th, 2015, 02:30 AM
Here is the log file I have, Let me know if this looks at all correct or not.

Thanks again

P.S. pay no attention to the name, I used this to just remember what it is.

swingtan
March 17th, 2015, 09:50 AM
You are logging External WB AFR, but it looks like the V2 is not configured for your WB. I say this as there is no WB data in the log. This will be the reason you don;t get any data in the BEN MAP. ensure the V2 is set up correctly for both Serial WB logging and that your correct WB serial device is selected. you can do this by plugging the V2 into the PC and opening "Scan & tune", then going into "F6: Devices" and finally "F8: Serial I/O". The "Comm Port" should be set to Wideband and Wideband type needs to be what ever you have.

Don't log "SAE TP%" on an Electronic throttle Control ECU. As you can see you get compressed data as it only logs the sensor voltage, not the actual opening. Use "GM.ETCTP" instead.

Fix those up and see how you go.

rbp4u
March 17th, 2015, 10:35 AM
When I was logging/viewing the data on my laptop it was reading WB, but I noticed today that when I played it back it wasnt showing that it had logged it. I will change those couple things though and check out my WB settings, log it again and then post it up again.

Thanks!

rbp4u
March 17th, 2015, 04:41 PM
Okay, re-logged the truck, and I believe I have everything set up right. Take a look at this log and see what you think. It appears to "correct" to me.

Thanks again.

joecar
March 17th, 2015, 08:20 PM
V8 S&T -> F6:Devices -> F8:Serial I/O

post a screenshot of ^ this.

swingtan
March 17th, 2015, 09:29 PM
WB data is fine, GM.APCYL_DMA is missing though..... You need this for the VVE MAP. Other than that, I think it's all there.

rbp4u
March 18th, 2015, 02:08 AM
Here is that screenshot.

rbp4u
April 15th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Okay, I think I have got it figured out and have been making some VE changes to the map. Im curious how many logs its going to take before I it right? Im on my 5th VE map adjustment right now.

rbp4u
April 16th, 2015, 01:01 AM
I have also noticed that my ethanol content is always 23.5%. This seems pretty high, upon further research I see that it is a calculated value. Is there any way to keep it calculating even with the fuel trims turned off? Its affecting my commanded afr by keeping it at 13.2

joecar
April 16th, 2015, 03:17 AM
If you don't have the alcohol content sensor, then the trims are used to calculate it...

With a alcohol kit ($10) you can determine the actual alcohol % content in a sample from your fuel tank...

the difference between this measured % and 23.5% is the difference in your VE that needs to be corrected (you're MAF-less, right...?).

How are you using LTFT with wideband...?

rbp4u
April 16th, 2015, 06:03 AM
I am tuning in the VE mafless yes. I am not using LTFT with wideband, I am running in open loop all the time right now.

rbp4u
April 17th, 2015, 05:25 AM
What can I post that will let you guys know if im on the right track? First tune, and current tune? Log files?

rbp4u
April 17th, 2015, 05:29 AM
Tune ending in _0002 was my base file.

Tune begging with 5 is my current file.

rbp4u
April 27th, 2015, 10:09 AM
Still struggling with this thing and could really use some direction if someone could chime in. I can post up logs too if needed. I need to also figure out the E85 % too, I'm afraid that it is scewing my results for the VE map. The truck seems to run ok, and follow the commanded AFR pretty close but it seems doggy until it gets wound up. Could be the cam but I think it shouldn't be this bad.

I can offer up any data needed or descriptions if someone needs more info to help me out.

Thanks,

joecar
April 28th, 2015, 05:10 PM
You're on my queue (I'm somwhat bogged down at the moment, hopefully I'll clear up my backlog over the next couple of days).

rbp4u
June 3rd, 2015, 02:27 PM
Hey guys, Still struggling with this damn thing. I am willing to pay someone to either tune the thing for me, or to walk me though what I need to do to tune it myself. I don't have the free time to just spin circles on the tuning. I need to use the truck as a truck and cant give up any more time with it running mediocre. If you guys are, or know of someone who would be willing to help me on this that would be great.

Thanks

joecar
June 4th, 2015, 02:37 AM
I'm still backlogged...

where are you located...?

rbp4u
June 4th, 2015, 12:51 PM
Central Illinois