PDA

View Full Version : Used Vehicle with DSP5 switch

onegigabite
March 27th, 2015, 09:33 AM
Hello everyone,

I purchased a used 01 Duramax 3500 DRW. It has a DSP5 switch. There is a tune on it because the difference from position 1 to position 5 is night and day. I had the switch what I think is position 5, it's not marked, but the truck is an animal in that position. Well, I limped my trans on the interstate going up a hill when i hit WOT. I have no idea what tunes are on this, or for that matter what program it was tuned with. I was wondering since the tune is definitely programmed can I buy the OBD2 to RJ45 cable and use the EFI live scan and tune program? I appreciate any information you can provide. Thank you in advance.

KhakiCummins
March 27th, 2015, 11:37 AM
In order to be able to tune it, you would need to buy a V2 with the GM Tuning option.

http://www.efilive.com/flashscan

onegigabite
March 28th, 2015, 01:14 AM
Do you know if I can view what tunes are already installed? I was hoping that since someone already paid for the license that's tied to the VIN, that I wouldn't have to purchase an additional license or hardware

KhakiCummins
March 28th, 2015, 01:36 AM
DSP5 tunes cannot be read out of the ECM. The only way to get around paying for a new VIN license and hardware is to find who originally tuned it. They are going to charge you for any changes to the tunes though.

onegigabite
March 28th, 2015, 03:49 AM
I kind of figured that. My issue is I don't know what tunes are on it and my guess is on 2 of the positions I'm pushing too much power. I will be towing a 15000 lb RV and it would be nice to know if there are lower HP tow tunes programmed. I'm not going to use the higher power selections as I don't want to do expensive trans repairs. At this point I may just go to the dealer and have them reflash the stock tune. I was hoping efi live would have a read only mode for the different tunes so you know what's been done. I'm disappointed to say the least.

joecar
March 28th, 2015, 01:35 PM
Moving thread to Diesel (General) (https://forum.efilive.com/forumdisplay.php?31-General-%28Diesel%29)...

ScarabEpic22
March 30th, 2015, 04:52 AM
IIRC you can read out LB7/LLY DSPx tunes...know for a fact you cant on LBZ+ DSPx ones though.

Also you need an EFILive FlashScan V2 or an AutoCal from a tuner to read them, no generic cable is able to be used with EFILive's platform.