PDA

View Full Version : LQ4 swap lost communication, spark, and fuel.

C450
March 30th, 2015, 03:22 AM
Hey guys, I don't post much but I am on here quite a bit. I have done a LQ4 swap into a 74 GMC. Tuned with EFI Live. I was trying to read the gauges with my laptop but was not able to connect. I tried my scan tool with the same issue. No communication. I started it 6 more times since then and now I have also lost spark. Now my fuel pump only comes on for a split second when I turn on the key. I've bypassed my pump wiring to make sure the pump still works. The pump turned out fine. I have checked my grounds and added extra ground wires just to be extra sure it is not a ground problem. Double checked my battery positive terminals to the data link connector and PCM. Everything checks out fine. But still no communication to a scan tool and no spark. Could I have a bad PCM? If so, what would have caused it? If I am to switch PCM's, is there a PCM with an operating system I should be looking for? Anyone else have any ideas? I appreciate any help.

joecar
March 31st, 2015, 03:59 AM
How is your ALDC/OBD2 port wired...?

When you key on, does fuel pump relay activate for 2 seconds...?

C450
March 31st, 2015, 04:56 AM
Positive and ground are currently wired to junction blocks wired directly to the battery. I may have fixed the current issue. I replaced the PCM with one from a S-10. Fuel pump was coming on for only half a second but as soon as I hooked up the new pcm, the pump comes on for a couple of second like it should. It also fixed the no spark issue. I'm doing a full flash right now to get back to my silverado operating system. Truck was also running rough before. Would fall on its face off of idle. I'm hoping this also takes care of that issue.

C450
March 31st, 2015, 05:09 AM
I had this problem with the last pcm as well. I tried doing a full flash and when it was almost done this popped up. Anybody know what causes this?
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p793/C-450/20150331_115943_zpsxuxf1gfs.jpg (http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/C-450/media/20150331_115943_zpsxuxf1gfs.jpg.html)

C450
March 31st, 2015, 05:17 AM
I'm just trying to change operating systems. From a 12212156 to a 12205612. Am I not doing this correctly? I tried a full flash. Should I be trying this a different way?

C450
March 31st, 2015, 06:56 AM
I didn't try this earlier but after work I will try flashing a totally stock tune to see if this failure happens again. What happens if I keep having this problem during a full flash? Will it screw up this pcm?

C450
April 1st, 2015, 02:53 AM
Well I answered my last question. I bought a used PCM from a S-10 yesterday. Tried a full flash and came up with the checksum error. Now this PCM is having the same problem as the first one. No communication with a scan tool, no spark, and the fuel pump only kicks on for a split second. So are these PCM's junk or can I save them? I obviously can't keep buying computers just to license and screw them up with EFI Live. What am I doing wrong?

C450
April 1st, 2015, 03:02 AM
Joecar, my connector is wired like so.

Serial Data Pin 2 to Blue Connector Pin 58.
Pin 4 and 5 are wired to a junction block wired to battery ground.
Pin 16 is wired to a junction block wired to the positive battery terminal.

joecar
April 2nd, 2015, 05:21 AM
Can you bench program any PCM...?

C450
April 2nd, 2015, 05:31 AM
I'm not currently set up for bench programming. I'm trying to flash them while in the truck. Should I build a separate bench harness?

Blacky
April 2nd, 2015, 09:39 AM
The $06FF error occurs when the data that is sent from the PC does not match the data that was programmed into the PCM. What that really means is something outside of the control of EFILive has modified or corrupted the data after it left the PC and before (or while) it was programmed into the ECM's flash memory. That error usually occurs because:

The PCM flash memory is faulty and it is not accepting or retaining the data that was programmed into it - in that case its time for a new PCM.
There are one or more modules on the VPW bus that are interfering/corrupting the data on the VPW bus during the re-flash process - using a bench harness will solve that. Or if you know which modules are misbehaving, then pull their fuses prior to reading or flashing so they can't cause any trouble.

You can tell if the PCM is recoverable or not. If you connect FlashScan and the rightmost orange LED on FlashScan flashes consistently at 4 times per second then the PCM should be recoverable.

If you do end up with an unrecoverable PCM that you have licensed with EFILive, then we will provide you with a replacement license when you obtain replacement PCM. To claim your replacement EFILive license, send a scanned copy of the replacement PCM's invoice to support@efilive.com with a brief explanation of the fault and you FlashScan serial number and auth code.

Regards
Paul

C450
April 7th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Paul, I appreciate your help. I bought a bench harness from Speartech. I've been playing with it for a while now and still have not been able to fix the two pcm's that I have. The orange LED is flashing on the V2 I'm convinced that I can fix them but not sure how. When I try to read the calibration, I get this message:
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p793/C-450/20150407_194133_zpsqi0xi6qk.jpg (http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/C-450/media/20150407_194133_zpsqi0xi6qk.jpg.html)

Blacky
April 7th, 2015, 12:31 PM
That is normal for a controller that failed partway through a reflash. You could continue and read out the calibration but the calibration won't be any good and should never be used.

If you reflash the controller with a known good tune then it should come good.

If it failed during a full-flash then you'll need to full-flash it to recover.
If it failed during a cal-flash then you'll only need to cal-flash it to recover.

Regards
Paul

joecar
April 7th, 2015, 02:30 PM
I'm not currently set up for bench programming. I'm trying to flash them while in the truck. Should I build a separate bench harness?Yes, it's simple and parts are cheap... and it will save you much grief

( about the only vehicle that does not need a bench harness is the 1999-2002 F-car, it has almost no other modules on the serial bus )

C450
April 7th, 2015, 02:40 PM
Paul I have good news. I was finally able to get the computer to take a full flash with a known good tune and now the truck runs. Joecar, I ended up buying a bench harness to flash it with. Well worth the money. I've never been able to work on a car from inside the house before. Thank you guys for your help. I really appreciate it.