PDA

View Full Version : AFM/DoD controls?

06black
April 18th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Im messing around with my new 14 silverado and i wanted to start playing around with the AFM controls just to see what i could make it do.

I see no reason that with some cam angle work that the truck couldn't maintain 70 down the highway over all but the steepest hills.

however, i need to learn how to crawl before i walk here so i started changing things like max TPS, TPS Hyst(both +/- changes) and things were OK. then i wanted to see if i could get the truck to idle in V4...

MIN RPM per gear set to 0
AFM Enable TPS P/N set to 0
AFM Min VSS set to 0
AFM Min VSS Hyst set to 0

and nothing....

am i missing something? or are the needed tables just yet to "discovered"?

any one ever tried this with any luck?

06black
April 19th, 2015, 02:07 PM
I cant be the only one who wants to do this :)

joecar
April 19th, 2015, 02:21 PM
Everyone I know usually disables AFM/DoD... but that's just who I know... :)

06black
April 22nd, 2015, 06:23 AM
I just see no reason to kill it. its a useful function to have, and with the truck going SC here soon id love to play around with boosted V4 mode :)

joecar
April 26th, 2015, 10:41 AM
It's not very useful... you have a SC, surely you're objective is to make HP/TQ, not to save gas (which is cheaper than Arrowhead water)... :)

Also, I'm not fully sure, but when cylinders deactivate, they would run cooler which causes ring wear to accelerate altho it is only for short periods of time).

GM introduced AFM/DoD to more easily meet CAFE fuel economy requirements.

It may be just me, but AFM/DoD is a bad idea (aftermarket sells AFM/DoD disable valley cover plates for cheap).

I am a firm believer in using all of your cylinders all of the time. :)

TurboCamaro
March 21st, 2016, 04:18 PM
Is it necessary to mechanically eliminate the DOD or can it be done with the calibration? At least until a lifter fails.

joecar
March 22nd, 2016, 02:21 PM
Can be done either way, I'm not sure which is best.