PDA

View Full Version : Calculated pids

x MadMAX DIESEL
April 22nd, 2015, 02:36 AM
I've made a few CALCULATED pids I want to start logging. I have everything being logged the algorithm needs. They dont show up in my BBL, which reading in that seems normal. But they dont appear in v7 when Im actually trying to view the log. What do I need to do? Create a text file somehow?? This is what Im trying to log. Everything works fine but the 3 calc pids.

I followed the directions in this link
http://www.efilive.com/latest/creating-calculated-pids/

joecar
April 22nd, 2015, 02:43 AM
Calc pids do not show up on V2 during the BBL logging session...

you are saying they do or do not show up where...?

They do show up in V8 scantool and in V7 scantool...

in the V7 scantool, if you do not see them you will have to edit the file My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration\calc_pids.txt and add those calc pids, and then restart the scantool (viewing the log file) and add those calc pids after the fact (and save the log file to now include them).

Post your log file.

x MadMAX DIESEL
April 22nd, 2015, 05:06 AM
I don't see them while bbl, which I know is normal. But when I try to load the log into v7 for scanning display they are not shown. I will try to add those into the config file like you said. Hopefully that will work.

x MadMAX DIESEL
April 22nd, 2015, 07:24 AM
My cal file hasnt been updated since 12/16/2006. I dont know what or where to type in to add it on that text document?18287

joecar
April 22nd, 2015, 08:21 PM
Post a screenshot of the calc pids you defined in V8;

also post your BBL log file.

x MadMAX DIESEL
April 24th, 2015, 08:49 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/24/a29b6dc1d15676da19a006fa8568c9a3.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/24/9f9742d8d71c0404608390885cd4f26b.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/24/f13fea41e8288dc4b8ba8f89fe71b32f.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/24/19422bf8a0b5786bbb89d24c4f4c0c3b.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/24/fd06b1fb0609bb9aedad354adb59017d.jpg

And here you can see nothing showing up. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/24/488c1434558cbff7c7693e6a7bdd30ea.jpg

x MadMAX DIESEL
April 24th, 2015, 08:51 AM

joecar
April 26th, 2015, 10:31 AM
I added your 2 calc pids to the V7 calc_pids.txt file (see attached)...

joecar
April 26th, 2015, 10:33 AM
BTW: for posting screenshots, take a look at (for example) http://getgreenshot.org/

x MadMAX DIESEL
April 26th, 2015, 01:07 PM
I added your 2 calc pids to the V7 calc_pids.txt file (see attached)...

Thanks so I just need to save that to overwrite my current one? There was one more cal pid (the most important one) that I didn't screen shot the algorithm. When I get access to my computer I will try and figure how to add that one, going off what I saw you did to those other 2. If I can't figure that out would you mind to do it to one more please? And yeah sorry about the camera phone pics lol

joecar
April 26th, 2015, 01:39 PM
Yes, save it to replace/overwrite your current file.

The calc pid CALC.CADEG is already pre-defined in the V7 scantool... on the PIDs tab click on the column heading "Parameter" (the last column on the right) to sort on that column, then scroll down until you see CALC.CADEG, on this pid do rightclick->More Info, look at the defined expression, does it match your V8 calc pid for CADEGLBZ...?

If it is different then post a screenshot of how you have it defined in V8, and I'll add it to your V7 calc_pid.txt file.

x MadMAX DIESEL
April 26th, 2015, 02:31 PM
Yes, save it to replace/overwrite your current file.

The calc pid CALC.CADEG is already pre-defined in the V7 scantool... on the PIDs tab click on the column heading "Parameter" (the last column on the right) to sort on that column, then scroll down until you see CALC.CADEG, on this pid do rightclick->More Info, look at the defined expression, does it match your V8 calc pid for CADEGLBZ...?

If it is different then post a screenshot of how you have it defined in V8, and I'll add it to your V7 calc_pid.txt file.

Thanks! Yes it is different. It uses a different pid to calculate from than the other one. I will get you that pic tomorrow at some point. Appreciate you taking your time to help me

x MadMAX DIESEL
April 27th, 2015, 07:27 AM
Well those 2 work. The other one I am uploading a pic of the code. I tried and failed to write the code where I thought it would work. I wouldn't recognize °, or degrees, degree as a Unit of measure.

x MadMAX DIESEL
April 27th, 2015, 07:30 AM
Also, just curious. What happens if the logged data goes over the "high" in the pid txt. file? I just put a 30 in there for a safeish number

Blacky
April 27th, 2015, 02:32 PM
Also, just curious. What happens if the logged data goes over the "high" in the pid txt. file? I just put a 30 in there for a safeish number

Nothing, those min/max values are only used when you add a PID to a gauge or a chart so the gauge/chart know what default min/max values to put on the scale.

Regards
Paul

x MadMAX DIESEL
April 28th, 2015, 02:18 AM
Nothing, those min/max values are only used when you add a PID to a gauge or a chart so the gauge/chart know what default min/max values to put on the scale.

Regards
Paul

Okay just as long as nothing will stop reading past the high or lower. Awesome

joecar
April 28th, 2015, 04:38 PM
Well those 2 work. The other one I am uploading a pic of the code. I tried and failed to write the code where I thought it would work. I wouldn't recognize °, or degrees, degree as a Unit of measure.

18308In V7 scantool, the units you want are "deg" or "CAdeg".

Regarding min and max in the calc_pids.txt: like Paul said, the Chart/Guage uses those as the min/max tick marks... adjust them to get the waveform/needle close to the middle of the chart/gauge.

joecar
April 28th, 2015, 04:48 PM
Try the attached calc_pids.txt.

( I did not check, but is GM.MAIN1T_DMA with units us (microseconds) valid in V7 scantool...? Probably is. )

x MadMAX DIESEL
April 30th, 2015, 02:40 PM
Try the attached calc_pids.txt.

( I did not check, but is GM.MAIN1T_DMA with units us (microseconds) valid in V7 scantool...? Probably is. )

Yes, it is. I dont seem to be able to view it still though. (no error messages atleast. I guess maybe I need to log a new one and check again after that cal text doc has been saved?

x MadMAX DIESEL
April 30th, 2015, 02:49 PM
Nevermind. Got it working thanks !!

joecar
April 30th, 2015, 08:56 PM
Nevermind. Got it working thanks !!Good job :cheers:

What did you have to do (did you select all of its dependent pids...?)...?

Blacky
May 1st, 2015, 02:47 AM
I've made a few CALCULATED pids I want to start logging. I have everything being logged the algorithm needs. They dont show up in my BBL, which reading in that seems normal. But they dont appear in v7 when Im actually trying to view the log. What do I need to do? Create a text file somehow?? This is what Im trying to log. Everything works fine but the 3 calc pids.

I followed the directions in this link
http://www.efilive.com/latest/creating-calculated-pids/

One useful thing you can do when BBL logging is to pre-define which calculated PIDs you want to be automatically selected in the log file when you do eventually display the logged data in the V7 scan tool. To do that, click the [V7] button in the [F5: BBL] tab page and you can enter up to 8 V7 calculated PID names.

Note: The calc PID names that you may enter in that window are V7 calc PID names minus their "CALC." prefix, not V8 calc PID names. V8 calc PID names can be selected directly in the PID selection list in the main [F5: BBX] tab page.

Regards
Paul

x MadMAX DIESEL
May 1st, 2015, 01:46 PM
I'll have to look at it tomorrow. Your text file fixed it. At first I didn't get the old ones deleted so it defaulted to the non working ones. Saved to desk top, deleted all in the config files and dragged it over. Thank you it was all you that helped me I really appreciate it

jrh
January 14th, 2017, 05:43 AM
Are we able to create calculated PIDs for V8 ourselves that show up directly in the calculated available PIDS in the BBX window of V8?

joecar
January 15th, 2017, 03:51 AM
Yes, we can do calc pids in V8, and they show up as available pids in BBX.

jrh
January 15th, 2017, 04:31 AM
Could you clarify "we". I know EFILive can since they already exist. But can the end users do so? And can they show up in the area of BBX where they are visible on the V2 scan tool display while logging.

I have created calculated variables in V7 from time to time and know how to do that (and tutorials/instructions exist in the EFILive documentation on how to do that). I can't find anything to do the same in V8 BBX. And the calculated variables we have generated in V7 don't appear as options in the V8 scan and tune data graphing (at least not that I can find) so we don't seem to be able to view these calculations after the fact (at least not using existing calculated variables).

Yes, we can do calc pids in V8, and they show up as available pids in BBX.

cindy@efilive
January 15th, 2017, 12:07 PM
Could you clarify "we". I know EFILive can since they already exist. But can the end users do so? And can they show up in the area of BBX where they are visible on the V2 scan tool display while logging.

I have created calculated variables in V7 from time to time and know how to do that (and tutorials/instructions exist in the EFILive documentation on how to do that). I can't find anything to do the same in V8 BBX. And the calculated variables we have generated in V7 don't appear as options in the V8 scan and tune data graphing (at least not that I can find) so we don't seem to be able to view these calculations after the fact (at least not using existing calculated variables).

Hi Jason,

I haven't yet written the calculated PIDs documentation for V8, but here is a quick run through.

Open V8 Scan and Tune and navigate to [F2: Scan] -> [F2: PIDs]
Use the drop down on the [Config] button or select [Ctrl+K] to open the Calculated PIDs window.
Use the +in the top window to create a USER PID Group.
Use the + in the bottom window to create your PID. Enter your PID heading details.
Select Edit or just double click on the PID to add the expression.

Once added and function tested and the window closed, you'll find the PID listed in both the scan tool Available PID list and the BBX Available PID list under Calculated PIDs.

Cheers
Cindy

aaronc7
January 15th, 2017, 02:33 PM
I did mine 'old school'/manual way similar to V7.5. It's similar but a little different-- actual much more simple. Go to the EFILive directory that lives on your documents/my documents -> V8 -> Config -> UserCalculatedPids.ini

From what I can tell, these calc PIDs do not show up on the handheld device while recording/displaying data, but is calculated and displayed after the fact when viewing the log in the V8 software.

I have only created 2 calc PIDs in V8, here is my .ini file:

[Groups]
MYCP=My Calc PIDs

[MYCP]
AFRLC2="LC2 AFR",AFR,1
OILPRESSURE="Corvette Oil Pressure",psi,1

[MYCP.AFRLC2]
0=|-- MYDC.AFRLC2
1=|return pid("EGRS")*2.8812+7.351;

[MYCP.OILPRESSURE]
0=|-- MYDC.OILPRESSURE
1=|return pid("EOPS")*32-16;

joecar
January 16th, 2017, 02:32 PM
Hi Jason,

"We" as in the user.

As Cindy said, you create/edit a calc in V8S&T->Scan, and then you can use it in V8S&T->BBX.

See sequence of pics below:

The calc pids are not viewable on the FSV2 LCD during logging, but they show up when viewing the log file in the scantool.

joecar
January 16th, 2017, 02:40 PM
The beauty of V8 calc pids is that the pid() function can take any number of same-type pids, and it will select the one you logged...

e.g. pid("MAFFREQ", "MAFFREQ2").

rich24v
June 19th, 2018, 09:01 AM
Is it possible to log for CALC.CADEG in E38 ? (crank angle degrees injector open)
I added the pid but it's looking for GM MAINBPW which reports invalid ??

Blacky
June 19th, 2018, 09:40 AM
For E38, try using INJPWB1 and INJPWB2 instead.
You could also re-validate PIDs while connected to the E38 to make sure those two PIDs are supported.

Reagrds
Paul

joecar
June 20th, 2018, 04:43 AM
CALC.CADEG and GM.MAINBPW are for the GM diesel controllers, not for the GM gasoline controllers.

joecar
June 20th, 2018, 04:47 AM
BTW:

Paul mentioned GM.INJPWB1/2, these are the injector pulsewidth pids for E38 (and every non-LS1A non-LS1B gasoline controller)..
in the attached calc pids file, you will find injector duty cycle pids for based on GM.INJPWB1/2.

rich24v
June 20th, 2018, 07:18 AM
Thanks Paul and Joe,
I created a calcpid by copying the function from CADEG to RABCADEG and replaced GM.MAINBPW with GM.INJPWB1.
Seemed to validate ok and appears in the list of pids when monitoring live data with the V8.
However no actual data shows up. Admittedly I fumbled this far, thought I'd loaded the pid list to the v2 for bbx logging,
but it does not show up......so quite lost now.
I just want to datalog injector timing, is this possible with E38 ?

joecar
June 20th, 2018, 11:29 AM
That calculation is not correct (it produces a very small number).

rich24v
June 21st, 2018, 05:23 PM
Ok can see some numbers now if I reduce the large divider number, but don't understand how that relates to injector timing ...
so back to my question, is it possible to datalog injector timing for a E38 os1264402 ?

joecar
June 22nd, 2018, 08:26 AM
That calculation is not correct (it produces a very small number).
That calculation is not for gasoline ECM's.

See this post above:

BTW:

Paul mentioned GM.INJPWB1/2, these are the injector pulsewidth pids for E38 (and every non-LS1A non-LS1B gasoline controller)..
in the attached calc pids file, you will find injector duty cycle pids based on GM.INJPWB1/2.

calc_pids.txt (https://forum.efilive.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22175&d=1529516767)

Gasoline ECM's provide pids for injector pulsewidth (from which the duty cycle can be calculated);

there is no pid (that I can figure out) for crank angle position related to injector timing for gasoline ECM's.