PDA

View Full Version : 07.5 6.7 vgt turbo?

Scarface
May 7th, 2015, 05:19 AM
when adjusting the vanes on a 6.7 dodge will I need to only adjust the min or the max table? the truck I am working with is all stock except the normal deletes on it. I have adjusted the fueling and timing. I just need sum advice...

SASDakota
May 7th, 2015, 09:25 AM
It will be very difficult to "tune" the turbo without drive pressure gauges. However, you may be able to make educated guesses/adjustments.

What are you trying to achieve?

Scarface
May 7th, 2015, 09:35 AM
just a more boost for the csp5 tunes on a deleted bone stock truck.. but keep from overspeeding it or killing it

SASDakota
May 7th, 2015, 09:58 AM
Since it is a CSP5 OS capable PCM you should already be loging with EDA. So watch boost vs vane %.

There are two ways to tune the turbos. Manipulate the flow maps (the hard way) or manipulate the min/max position to achieve desired boost. I don't like doing this as it is essentially riding on "limiters" (min/max). But I guess thats how folks like to do it on the 3rd gen 6.7

SO, Link scantool with tunetool and determine with logging what area in the minimum map boost falls off.

After looking at the minimum maps, take note of {C4507} Turbo Position Conversion. Now take the values from minimum maps {C4516-C4519} converted by {C4507}, use a little logic and common sense. Decide how much more vane closure you think it needs to raise boost desired amount. Input new minimum values and log it.

Depending on where in the map and how little you raise minimum it may not change because the ECM isn't riding on the minimums at that point. Try to look at the min/max maps as a whole, a driver would help so you can log and view the link on the fly. OR do it on a dyno.

SASDakota
May 7th, 2015, 10:00 AM
FYI, timing and qty have the potential to drastically change spool for a given vane position.

2007 5.9
May 7th, 2015, 01:15 PM
It will be very difficult to "tune" the turbo without drive pressure gauges. However, you may be able to make educated guesses/adjustments.

What are you trying to achieve?

Exhaust Back pressure is a valid pid...so no need for external gauge.

SASDakota
May 8th, 2015, 12:54 AM
Exhaust Back pressure is a valid pid...so no need for external gauge.

Ah even better. One day my 10' will have EDA and useful PIDs. :doh2:

Scarface
May 8th, 2015, 01:22 AM
thanks for the advice and help guys. I road tested the truck last night ran great. had zero smoke output on it. but set the damn intake heater code after I flashed it. :yucky: I am looking over the data logs for each tune level. so far stock trans is alive still lol

comnrailpwr
May 8th, 2015, 03:14 AM
I had a weird one the other day. I raised the entire map max position 15% in a csp5 tune. When I would stand on it it would accelerate then boost would drop to 0 while commanded vane would stay at max setpoint. the thing would sputter and blow white smoke during this, completely falls on its face like when you blow a boot.. Get back into the pedal all is good as long as its not WOT. Put vane back to stock and problem goes away. I chalked it up to turbo issue or vane actuator weak. I can post logs later. I haven't really had to do any turbo tuning on 6.7 as all the ones I have done were not stock. Anyone else had this issue?

SASDakota
May 8th, 2015, 03:19 AM
Assuming you were logging EDA. Did vane actual meet vane desired? Which PID were you looking at for boost? Better yet, lets just see the logs. lol

comnrailpwr
May 8th, 2015, 03:20 AM
Lol, I'll get them posted when I get home, yes I was logging Eda.