PDA

View Full Version : Truck bogs, Injector duty cycle up tp 1000%?

EfficientFastInjection
May 12th, 2015, 06:26 AM
hello, i am new to this wonderful tuning program, but am stuck on trying to fix my 2006 lbz duramax. It hasnt been running right, it accelerates fine up to half throttle then starts to mis and bog down. the speedometer drops down and the engine coughs. its not smoking black and doesnt have a problem idling. I don't know anyone else with a duramax to compare the datalog to but ive noticed a few things that seem out of the ordinary.
1. injector duty cycle is very high 400-1000%
2. the air fuel ratio is also maxed out passed 32:1
3. injector balance rates only read under 900rpm then they go to 0
ive replaced a couple injectors and have cylinder 4 reading +3 the rest of them are closer to 0
4. always has the code cyl1 misfire
5. occasionally egr codes
6. occasionally lost communication with ecm

any help would be greatly appreciated

THEFERMANATOR
May 12th, 2015, 10:54 AM
First off, injector duty cycle is pretty much irrelevant on a diesel. You need to watch MM3 of fuel. Air fuel ratio is also worthless. A diesel can run upwards of 100:1 at low throttle input, plus there is no sensor for O2 in a diesel unless you add one(some gas tuning guys add one thinking it is a must have). Balance rates only work at idle or very low throttle input, they are not meant to keep going once your off idle as it is there to keep the idle smooth. You need to focus on cylinder misfire codes. EGR codees will happen if the exhaust has been changed. And loss of communciations issues is always a problem.

SASDakota
May 12th, 2015, 12:17 PM
First off, injector duty cycle is pretty much irrelevant on a diesel. You need to watch MM3 of fuel. Air fuel ratio is also worthless. A diesel can run upwards of 100:1 at low throttle input, plus there is no sensor for O2 in a diesel unless you add one(some gas tuning guys add one thinking it is a must have). Balance rates only work at idle or very low throttle input, they are not meant to keep going once your off idle as it is there to keep the idle smooth. You need to focus on cylinder misfire codes. EGR codees will happen if the exhaust has been changed. And loss of communciations issues is always a problem.

^^^Solid advice

However, I do believe the newer diesels have a form of o2 sensor. Example, my 2010 RAM.

THEFERMANATOR
May 12th, 2015, 02:16 PM
^^^Solid advice

However, I do believe the newer diesels have a form of o2 sensor. Example, my 2010 RAM.

The newer trucks have EGT and NOX sensors to monitor the effiency of the DPF, and how hot the exhaust is during regen.

EfficientFastInjection
May 13th, 2015, 10:50 AM
so mm3 of fuel seems to operate smooth. the truck was bucking pretty good today but i also didnt warm it up. also the afr was not maxxed out bit checking the balance rated cyl 7 did get upto +7.8 and another cylinder up to +4. so i guess i should probably replace the injectors to hopefully solve this

SASDakota
May 13th, 2015, 11:15 AM
The newer trucks have EGT and NOX sensors to monitor the effiency of the DPF, and how hot the exhaust is during regen.

Look up P2196 on a 6.7 Cummins. O2 sensor code no?

Edit: Maybe you meant the GM trucks, I was just giving an example of my RAM truck.

SASDakota
May 13th, 2015, 11:18 AM
so mm3 of fuel seems to operate smooth. the truck was bucking pretty good today but i also didnt warm it up. also the afr was not maxxed out bit checking the balance rated cyl 7 did get upto +7.8 and another cylinder up to +4. so i guess i should probably replace the injectors to hopefully solve this

At the very least if you believe your injectors are truly suspect. Take them out and have them tested on a bosch stand. Best way to know for sure they are OK mechanically/electrically. I would rather pay a little to KNOW it was the cause before paying even more to replace it.