PDA

View Full Version : What Background Programs affect EFILive?

Chalky
May 12th, 2006, 06:11 AM
I am of the impression that any virus scanning programs has a negative affect on EFI. Any other programs that I need to be aware of?

Bruce Melton
May 12th, 2006, 08:34 AM
I am of the impression that any virus scanning programs has a negative affect on EFI. Any other programs that I need to be aware of?

I run AVG, Win FW and a host of other stuff with NP except-
Once in a while I have to pull and reconnect the USB plug to get a connection, but only after several logs.

Dlong
May 12th, 2006, 02:00 PM
The only problem I have had is the same as Bruce. When I updated the usb driver with the latest version of efilive the problem went away. I also changed the usb port I was using. So far this is the only problem I have encountered.

Chalky
May 12th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I haven't experienced a problem but thought I would ask just to be informed!!

wait4me
May 13th, 2006, 02:45 AM
It is the other companies software that the virus scanners dont like.
But if you run a spyware program on it while it is running to see why the virus scanners dont like it, you will be supprised to see it accesses alot of stuff that it shouldnt be. That is why Norton and the other Antivirus software dont like it.

The Antivirus company told me to run a program called Filemon.exe on the program and it would show me why there software dont like peoples tuning software.

Hmm, On running it, It accesed, my quickbooks folder, my Efilive folder, and a ton more files on my pc both on startup, or any time i made a selection...

They said it is borderline on being bad.

Why would a tuning software need to access a banking program?

I have the file they gave me if you want to check it out..

I also ran the same program on Efilive just to check it out, and EFIlive was not like The other guys software at all, it didnt check or mess with any files in any other folders or registry entrys. So, something was definatly weird with the other software.

Its just a good thing for me that i dont use it at all.

Pretty funny stuff.

ringram
May 13th, 2006, 03:34 AM
filemon is cool and geeky.
I use it for troubleshooting stuff, you can dl it from www.sysinternals.com
Go to the "Processes and Threads" link, there are loads of other cool utils here as well as stuff to change your Security ID for cloning etc.
They have a rootkit discovery tool as well for ultra stealth spyware discovery.