PDA

View Full Version : lmm playing with turbo vane positions but cannot get it to hiss even slightly?

Octane
May 28th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Hi guys, so basically I'm tinkering around and trying to play with the vanes, I had them at 97% trying to get some real hiss out of the truck just to try for the hell of it but I could not get it to do it at all, I cannot seem to get even a slight hiss out of it. the truck sounds mellow with no real motor sound and maybe a lil turbo sound so it's what I'd call mellow. not low and drony like it would be with the vanes opened. for the life of me I cannot get it to move off the mellow point or sound. It'll go down but wont go up past it. It does say it's sitting at 97% but yet you'd think like some other trucks or even video's it'd sound like a jet engine at idle but it does not. what am I missing? do you need to increase idle fueling to move more air for the sound or?? It literally seems like something in the back end of it all is preventing it but I don't know what.

My goal for what I'm trying to do is not to make my truck sound like a jet. I'd like add just a ever so slight hiss sound to it. so when I drive down the neighborhood it's not so low sounding and keeps the neighbors happy.

I've tried googling all over and could not find the answer. the lmm has the elevation based maps and coolant temp and all sorts of ones with so many variables. I've changed them all and cannot get it to do it. It acknowledges its at 97% but doesn't sound like it.

truck is a Crew cab long box with a 4" magnaflow exhaust. thanks!

LB72004
May 29th, 2015, 03:11 AM
i haven't done this myself but have you checked the max vane table?

Octane
May 29th, 2015, 03:46 AM
i haven't done this myself but have you checked the max vane table?

Yep we have changed all the vane tables. It says the vanes are sitting at 97 to 98%. But It sure don't sound like it at all. I'm wondering if it's not moving enough air to create the sound? Or if they on the lmm literally need to be near shut? I'm just thinking that but I'd think there has to be more than enough air moving through? But maybe not?. I could deffinetely see that being an issue? But I have no experience tuning the lmm.

SASDakota
May 29th, 2015, 03:52 AM
Can you post logs and a video of the exhaust/truck?

Octane
May 29th, 2015, 04:13 AM
Can you post logs and a video of the exhaust/truck?

I'll get a video. I can't get any logs right now. I personally don't have access to the stuff, I got a guy that has the efi hardware. so we've been trying to do it together. I drove to work today and it had some slight hiss and my edge cts showed 97% vane but then after driving it, it went back to my previous setting of 85% vane. Odd. It's also doing lots of vane sweeps as I call it when it'll remove all vane then go way up and back to set position. Would increasing idle do it? What do people set their idles to generally? Mines at 800 rpm

LB72004
May 29th, 2015, 05:53 AM
I just tried out the DVT controls and raised the vanes to 97 and 100%. Wasn't much different. Raising the idle with 100% had more effect. What is your idle rpm?

Octane
May 29th, 2015, 07:15 AM
I just tried out the DVT controls and raised the vanes to 97 and 100%. Wasn't much different. Raising the idle with 100% had more effect. What is your idle rpm?

Interesting so maybe there isn't enough exhaust flow happening for the sound to occur through the vanes. Thus raising idle moves more air and does it then?

I'm at 800 rpm for a idle

LB72004
May 29th, 2015, 07:42 AM
I tried it at 600 and 720 rpm. 800 should be better.

Octane
May 29th, 2015, 12:40 PM
how did it sound at 720 rpm? mine has a very slight and light hiss but not much. I'd like a bit more than what I have.

LB72004
May 30th, 2015, 12:27 PM
made a video for you. not sure how well the sound is but it was hard to tell the difference anyways. the camera didn't seem to pick up much of the engine noise, mostly just the hissing.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/0VfiRljuXrfuGn5rIbxyn9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=d irectlink

Octane
May 30th, 2015, 04:42 PM
made a video for you. not sure how well the sound is but it was hard to tell the difference anyways. the camera didn't seem to pick up much of the engine noise, mostly just the hissing.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/0VfiRljuXrfuGn5rIbxyn9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=d irectlink
Thanks for the video. I can't distinguish any sounds on my end it just sounds like a static hiss. I'll try again when I'm at home tomorrow with my desktop, maybe the laptop has terrible speakers? But it can't distinguish anything. I'll get a clip of my truck tomorrow there.
Thanks for taking the time to make a clip

Octane
May 31st, 2015, 04:32 PM
I got home tonight and made a quick video of how it currently sounds. It was a cold start at about 18c outside. There's some hiss just not much. How ever it is close to what I'm wanting anyways I'd say.

I think the cell picked up the sound ok but not as good as I'd of hoped.

https://youtu.be/IR4cfrmDC6w