PDA

View Full Version : Warren P59 style PCM with CAN (aka GMLAN)

PSS
May 29th, 2015, 01:43 PM
Anyone know the part number or the make/model/year vehicles that got the 1 MB Warren PCM (sometimes called P59) that had CAN (aka GMLAN)? This is the PCM with the green mating connector on one side (but I don't think all of them had CAN).

Thanks,

PSS

GMPX
May 30th, 2015, 10:10 AM
No but I think you'll find any CAN in the PCM software will be very, very limited. It was probably only designed to send messages out for other CAN modules (like the Hybrid version).

PSS
May 30th, 2015, 11:57 AM
No but I think you'll find any CAN in the PCM software will be very, very limited. It was probably only designed to send messages out for other CAN modules (like the Hybrid version).

Not to be a smart ass but isn't that the point of the CAN communication - to communicate with other modules that also have CAN? What else would it communicate with?

But you bring up an interesting idea - the hybrid version might have been the one with the CAN hardware in the PCM. I'll have to check that.

Thanks.

GMPX
May 30th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Not to be a smart ass but isn't that the point of the CAN communication - to communicate with other modules that also have CAN? What else would it communicate with?
I meant the communications core (eg, scanning, flashing, diagnostics) will still be VPW based, CAN will be very much dumbed down and have none of those abilities compared to say an E40 of the same era.

PSS
May 30th, 2015, 01:06 PM
Understood. Until you get to the latest vehicles (2014+ trucks, 2014+ Corvette with the E92 ECM etc.) that seem to transmit everything all the time on the CAN bus, what data is being transmitted is always a gamble. Even the early E67 applications that were also CAN (and come after the E40) don't transmit anything from the ECM (other modules may send data and tools/modules might request it). Found that out the hard ware on a customer custom build that used a 2006 CTS-V E67 ECM and OS. Connected to the CAN wires and no messages at all.

Scan tools, programming etc is all different - that is requesting data or sending commands to the controller.

If the PCM has CAN I hope to be able to enable the CAN messages I want within the PCM. That can be done on the E38 and E67 so I am hoping the same is true for the Warren P59 style controller.

Thanks.

GMPX
May 31st, 2015, 11:15 AM
If the PCM has CAN I hope to be able to enable the CAN messages I want within the PCM. That can be done on the E38 and E67 so I am hoping the same is true for the Warren P59 style controller.
If it is in there I doubt it'll be anything like on the Global A platforms (or whatever GM called it), you might get lucky though.