PDA

View Full Version : June 02, 2015: EFILive Public Pre-Release

Blacky
June 3rd, 2015, 04:06 PM
Please download and install both the V7.5 and V8 software packages.

Both the V7.5 and V8 software were updated in this release, you must update both software packages.
Download V7.5 Software (http://download.efilive.com/Software/V7.5/EFILiveV7.5.7.285_Setup_Update1.exe) (101 MB) (Updated June 16, 2015)
Download V8 Software (http://download.efilive.com/Software/V8/EFILiveV8.2.2.278_Setup_Update1.exe) (64 MB) (updated June 8, 2015)

Release Notes:
Whats New (http://download.efilive.com/Software/whatsnew_278.htm)

Known Issues:
Please post new issues, questions or clarifications (large or small) in this thread.

As new issues are verified they will be posted in the Known Issues thread (https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?25627-Known-issues-with-June-02-2015-Public-Release).

Version Numbers:

After installing the latest release you should have the following software, boot block, firmware versions installed:

EFILive V7 software: V7.5.7 Build 285
To view the installed version, select Help->About (in the V7 Scan or Tune software).

EFILive V8 software: V8.2.2 Build 278
To view the installed version, select Help->About (in the V8 Scan and Tune software).

Boot Block: V2.07.07 (Feb 07, 2014)
To view/update the Boot Block, click the [Check Firmware] button in the V8 Scan and Tune software.

Firmware: V2.07.84 (Jun 03, 2015)
To view/update the Firmware, click the [Check Firmware] button in the V8 Scan and Tune software.

Regards
The EFILive Development Team

Chuck CoW
June 9th, 2015, 06:49 AM
Hey Paul... When updating to this software, I assume I have to re-install the BETA .calz ?

Chuck CoW

GMPX
June 9th, 2015, 07:44 AM
Yes, they will be overwritten.

im_compensating
June 22nd, 2015, 02:52 PM
When trying to open the BBX window I get an integer overflow error with the latest pre release:
EFILiveV8.2.2.278_Setup_Update1

but it works fine with the previous:
EFILiveV8.2.2.277_Setup

jrh
June 23rd, 2015, 03:46 AM
I am getting an "Error: $0101: No data received." message when I try to connect to the FlashScan cable with EFILive Explorer and then I can't view the anything from the FlashScan with Explorer.

I am able to connect to it with Scan & Tune to update firmware, configure BBX etc.

Version V8.2.2.278 of the Scan and Tune.

Firmware 2.07.84

jrh
June 23rd, 2015, 04:18 AM
Just tried another V2 cable and get similar (but different) results. Won't see the files/folders in Explorer (no Error $0101 though). Remove the SD card and try again and it works (able to see the folders on the V2 cable itself). Tried taking the SD card out of the other cable and Explorer sees the folders in that one too.

It seems to be related to using SD cards. It formats a card and creates the directories (if you put the card in an SD card reader on a PC or look at them from the V2 cable on-screen menus) but Explorer won't see them in the SD card.

Take an SD card from another V2 cable that was working in that cable and EFI Explorer still doesn't see the sub directories.

I am getting an "Error: $0101: No data received." message when I try to connect to the FlashScan cable with EFILive Explorer and then I can't view the anything from the FlashScan with Explorer.

I am able to connect to it with Scan & Tune to update firmware, configure BBX etc.

Version V8.2.2.278 of the Scan and Tune.

Firmware 2.07.84

jrh
June 23rd, 2015, 07:00 AM
Seems to work fine on an older version of the software (274). Tried a different USB cable. Same thing. Tried another USB port. Same thing. Thought I had it fixed when I removed another USB device (SD card reader) but worked and then didn't.

Did a full un-install of V7 and V8 and re-installed from the downloads. Same thing.

joecar
June 23rd, 2015, 07:11 AM
Which SD cards do you guys have...? I pm'd Paul to get his attention on this.

jrh
June 23rd, 2015, 07:53 AM
Using 2GB SD cards (not SDHC). I thought the new software/hardware recognized the bigger cards but I have never tried and just to be sure we still use the smaller SD cards (getting harder to find).

I have tested more and can make it work on another PC with the same release software but it is very slow. Wonder if it is some timeout related thing or something like that.

Thanks BTW.

Blacky
June 23rd, 2015, 02:03 PM
Using 2GB SD cards (not SDHC). I thought the new software/hardware recognized the bigger cards but I have never tried and just to be sure we still use the smaller SD cards (getting harder to find).

I have tested more and can make it work on another PC with the same release software but it is very slow. Wonder if it is some timeout related thing or something like that.

Thanks BTW.

After powering up FlashScan with the SD Card inserted, check the start-up counters for the SD Card here:
F4 Options -> F2 File System -> F4 File Sys Info -> F3 SD Card Info
Then scroll down until you see the Start-up statistics. What values do you see for Start-up, Waited and Total?

P.S. SDHC cards work with FlashScan. The firmware was updated a few years back to support SDHC cards.

Regards
Paul

konahoss
June 24th, 2015, 07:42 AM
After powering up FlashScan with the SD Card inserted, check the start-up counters for the SD Card here:
F4 Options -> F2 File System -> F4 File Sys Info -> F3 SD Card Info
Then scroll down until you see the Start-up statistics. What values do you see for Start-up, Waited and Total?

P.S. SDHC cards work with FlashScan. The firmware was updated a few years back to support SDHC cards.

Regards
Paul

Paul

I am having the same issues. Here is the info from my V2.

Start-Up: 1
Waited: 2
Total: 2

Blacky
June 24th, 2015, 08:42 AM
Paul

Try opening the EFILive Control Panel and make sure your FlashScan device is being correctly recognized as FlashScan and not AutoCal. If it is incorrectly identified as AutoCal then any SD Card duties may not work correctly/reliably since AutoCal does not support an SD Card. I have seen some trace files that show a FlashScan device being incorrectly identified as an AutoCal because it appears that the FlashScan USB identification EEPROM has been corrupted/erased.

Regards
Paul

jrh
June 24th, 2015, 09:27 AM
All three of the cables I am having the problem with have the same start-up statistics as well:

Paul

konahoss
June 24th, 2015, 09:40 AM
Try opening the EFILive Control Panel and make sure your FlashScan device is being correctly recognized as FlashScan and not AutoCal. If it is incorrectly identified as AutoCal then any SD Card duties may not work correctly/reliably since AutoCal does not support an SD Card. I have seen some trace files that show a FlashScan device being incorrectly identified as an AutoCal because it appears that the FlashScan USB identification EEPROM has been corrupted/erased.

Regards
Paul

I will check that out. Thank you Sir.

Erick

im_compensating
June 29th, 2015, 02:05 AM
on the integer overflow error I've already done the firmware update for the V2 running version: 2.07.84 if that makes any difference

Blacky
June 29th, 2015, 08:20 AM
When trying to open the BBX window I get an integer overflow error with the latest pre release:
EFILiveV8.2.2.278_Setup_Update1

but it works fine with the previous:
EFILiveV8.2.2.277_Setup

Unfortunately I can't see your attachments so I'm just guessing here...
It may be something to do with the Options.txt file that is automatically being loaded when the BBX window is opened. Try forcing EFILive to not load that file automatically by deleting the ini file entry that tells EFILive which file to load. That ini file entry is in the file: \My Documents\EFILive\V8\Config\EFILiveScanAndTune.ini in the section [MRU Files] with the key Name "Options=".
Make sure EFILive is not running when you edit the ini file. Try deleting that line from the in ifile using Notepad and then try starting EFILive and opening the BBX page.

Regards
Paul

im_compensating
June 30th, 2015, 05:52 AM
I went in and deleted the file name in the Documents\EFILive\V8\Config\EFILiveScanAndTune.ini file under 'mru files' and 'options'. The bbx window opened when I went back to v8. I read my settings from the v2 and saved them again under the same name and overwrote the file. When I tried to reopen it I got an integer overflow again. I then deleted it from the 'EFILiveScanAndTune.ini' file again and this time deleted the actual txt file in the bbx folder. Went back and read and saved my settings, now it opens every time. I assume that the file previously saved from the v8.2.2.277 build must have been incompatible with the 278 build somehow and when I was overwriting it, it must have kept something that was not letting the newer build open it?

Blacky
June 30th, 2015, 07:39 AM
I went in and deleted the file name in the Documents\EFILive\V8\Config\EFILiveScanAndTune.ini file under 'mru files' and 'options'. The bbx window opened when I went back to v8. I read my settings from the v2 and saved them again under the same name and overwrote the file. When I tried to reopen it I got an integer overflow again. I then deleted it from the 'EFILiveScanAndTune.ini' file again and this time deleted the actual txt file in the bbx folder. Went back and read and saved my settings, now it opens every time. I assume that the file previously saved from the v8.2.2.277 build must have been incompatible with the 278 build somehow and when I was overwriting it, it must have kept something that was not letting the newer build open it?

Do you happen to still have a copy of the file that was causing the issue? If so can you pleasesend it to me at paul@efilive.com so I can try and figure out what it was in that file that was causing the problem.

Regards
Paul

im_compensating
July 2nd, 2015, 08:11 AM
Don't know if anyone else had the integer overflow issue, but deleting the file and removing it's name from the ini file solved it. Thanks Paul.

joecar
July 4th, 2015, 08:44 PM
Don't know if anyone else had the integer overflow issue, but deleting the file and removing it's name from the ini file solved it. Thanks Paul.
You realize that this does not help Paul to find andfix the bug,,,

im_compensating
July 5th, 2015, 03:33 AM
Hi Cody,

Thanks for the file. The BBX window was trying to open the file as if it really was a BBX quick setup file. That caused the software to misinterpret the data in the file which caused the interger overflow.
I've changed the *.bbx file loading routines so that they now check for that situation. In future it will display the message "Invalid *.bbx quick setup file" or something similar to that, instead of "integer overflow" which is not a very helpful error message.

Regards
Paul
▼ Hide quoted text

On 1/07/2015 5:04 p.m., Cody Roberts wrote:
Paul,

this is the file, I still had it in the recycle bin.
I also included the new one that is working for comparison.

looking through them I didn't notice any difference. When attaching them however I did notice the new one is *.txt and the old one was *.bbx hope this helps.

(the bad file is 'CMD_EDA_basic.bbx)
(working file is 'CMD_EDA_basic1.txt')

cheers,

Cody Jack Roberts

Blacky
July 5th, 2015, 11:15 AM
You realize that this does not help Paul to find andfix the bug,,,

Its ok Joe, im_compensating sent me the affected files via email last week and I did find and fix the bug. I should have posted the results...

The problem was the Options.txt file had been changed to Options.bbx and so when opening the file the EFILive software attempted to interpret the file as *.bbx info from what was really a *.ini options file. The code for reading a *.bbx file expects a 4 byte integer in the first four bytes of the *.bbx file (the number of sub-files contained in the bbx file). That value was obviously huge "1595940923" and caused an integer overflow.
The software now takes extra precautions when loading *.bbx files to validate the values being loaded more carefully.

Regards
Paul

joecar
July 5th, 2015, 01:46 PM
Its ok Joe, im_compensating sent me the affected files via email last week and I did find and fix the bug. I should have posted the results...
Ah, ok, I see :thumb_yello: ... this sort of thing has me going in circles in my day job )

The problem was the Options.txt file had been changed to Options.bbx and so when opening the file the EFILive software attempted to interpret the file as *.bbx info from what was really a *.ini options file. The code for reading a *.bbx file expects a 4 byte integer in the first four bytes of the *.bbx file (the number of sub-files contained in the bbx file). That value was obviously huge "1595940923" and caused an integer overflow.
The software now takes extra precautions when loading *.bbx files to validate the values being loaded more carefully.

Regards
PaulInteresting permutation (1595940923 = 0x5F20203B in little endian, I see the ascii chars)

johhnyfoxtrot
July 7th, 2015, 12:50 PM
For some reason I am not able to download any EFI software. It has been like this for a week for me. Any Idea what the problem for me is?

johhnyfoxtrot
July 7th, 2015, 01:25 PM
Whatever it was after waiting a half hour of it trying to open it did and appears to be working.

Blacky
July 8th, 2015, 04:07 PM
New update is available here:
https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?25758-July-08-2015-EFILive-Public-Pre-Release