PDA

View Full Version : New to EFI

ManVan
June 12th, 2015, 01:03 AM
So I've made the leap to EFI from a Banks 6gun...I know, I know. I picked up a used V2 with a single license remaining.

I'll be keeping the Banks on the truck just for gauges.

I've done some reading in the forum, and will be doing more. I want to tune my truck for best daily driving mileage and performance, so I'm expecting to need to log my daily commute for a few days and see what I'm working with.

One of the main things I'd like to do is to turn off the 3rd injection event and also tune down the Exergy 30% injectors I installed in January. I've seen roughly a 2-3 mpg decrease with them. I have a flow sheet for them. Should I tune them off the flow sheet or can I just carve 30% out of the duration and then fine tune it from there?

Also, I've read the Cummins tutorials that are on CF and here, is there any other source of reading or education on the basics of tuning?

Thanks in advance for the help.

tylerltr450
June 12th, 2015, 05:52 AM
get the starlight diesel book. Gonna cost you a good couple bucks but its well worth the money.

SASDakota
June 12th, 2015, 09:44 AM
Are your exergy injectors factory spray angle or 143* pattern?

ManVan
June 12th, 2015, 10:52 AM
Are your exergy injectors factory spray angle or 143* pattern?

They're the correct angle for the pistons, 128* I believe it is. I'm really not that impressed with them. They haze at idle.

Is the Starlite book useful as a standalone volume? I got the feeling that without attending their class, it wouldn't be much help.

SASDakota
June 12th, 2015, 10:57 AM
Post your stock file you read out.

KhakiCummins
June 12th, 2015, 05:04 PM
They're the correct angle for the pistons, 128* I believe it is. I'm really not that impressed with them. They haze at idle.

Is the Starlite book useful as a standalone volume? I got the feeling that without attending their class, it wouldn't be much help.

I doubt the 6 Gun is tuned for larger injectors so the hazing at idle is most likely a result of your tuning, not the injectors. That is the benefit of EFILive, you can adjust your tune as your add hard parts.

2007 5.9
June 13th, 2015, 03:28 AM
So I've made the leap to EFI from a Banks 6gun...I know, I know. I picked up a used V2 with a single license remaining.

I'll be keeping the Banks on the truck just for gauges.

I've done some reading in the forum, and will be doing more. I want to tune my truck for best daily driving mileage and performance, so I'm expecting to need to log my daily commute for a few days and see what I'm working with.

One of the main things I'd like to do is to turn off the 3rd injection event and also tune down the Exergy 30% injectors I installed in January. I've seen roughly a 2-3 mpg decrease with them. I have a flow sheet for them. Should I tune them off the flow sheet or can I just carve 30% out of the duration and then fine tune it from there?

Also, I've read the Cummins tutorials that are on CF and here, is there any other source of reading or education on the basics of tuning?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Put a stock pulse table back in...and adjust the main timning to bring the smoke down. For idle haze, you may bump the rail up to 7000 and drop idle timing.

2007 5.9
June 13th, 2015, 03:30 AM
And keep in mind that SAC nozzles are dirtier by nature....so there will be some amount of haze you'll never get rid of because of the nozzle design.

ManVan
June 14th, 2015, 05:24 AM
And keep in mind that SAC nozzles are dirtier by nature....so there will be some amount of haze you'll never get rid of because of the nozzle design.

Les, they're stock injectors honed 30% over...Not BMS injectors...so they shouldn't have a SAC nozzle, right?

Thanks for a point in the right direction on the tuning...

and yes, I'm sure the 6gun isn't anywhere near right for them.

Is there value to having the flow sheet? Will it allow me to tune the injectors more quickly?

2007 5.9
June 14th, 2015, 05:36 AM
So Exergy took your stock nozzles and honed them 30% over?

ManVan
June 14th, 2015, 03:18 PM
So I called Exergy when I was looking do to all this because I wanted to hear from the horse's mouth exactly what the difference was between the 50HP SAC BMS injectors for ~2400 and the 30% over stock injectors.

They told me that the 50 HP BMS injectors were untouched, new manufactured Bosch Marine injectors. Not flowed, or honed. Said I could get them honed for additional, and they would cost roughly the same as the 30% over stock injectors(~3100), but they would be more like 45% over since some material would have to be removed to hone them.

Since I just wanted perfect spray patterns, I went with new Bosch stock 325HP injectors, and they honed the tips 30% over and balanced them. I was in a time crunch, so they shipped a set they had completed on the shelf. If there had been more time, I would have ordered 15% over injectors to keep the size small and just have perfect spray patterns, which he also said they could do. I just couldn't afford the downtime on the truck while I waited.

ManVan
July 14th, 2015, 09:14 AM
18623 Here's the file I read out.

So I have the flow test for the injectors. How do I use this to properly tune the truck if I want to pull fuel out to improve mileage? Turn down the duration, right?