PDA

View Full Version : Long Term Spark Trims? What Happens When Timing is Pulled Due to Knock?

Supercharged111
June 18th, 2015, 02:53 AM
I know the 411 will interpolate between the 2 maps, does it have long term trims? Reason I ask is I pulled to a lower elevation, then fired up the scan tool to get some data. I only logged KR, didn't log any of the other parameters where it'll pull timing. I opened the throttle to atmospheric locked in 4th and it began to pull around 5 degrees of timing. It did this for a while, then slowly dropped to 4, then 3, then 2, 1, and then none and stayed at 0 KR after that. Was the PCM trimming timing back to a happier spot? The truck never accelerated much during that ordeal as it had 8500# behind it so the load and RPM were kept constant. Once it read 0 KR after that, I figured I was good to go but now I'm wondering if it saved itself from me. I want the timing on the upper end, but I don't want any KR and I'd never hit these load cells with the current tune either.

joecar
June 18th, 2015, 03:45 AM
Was it running from the LO spark table, and then slowly sliding back up to the HO spark table...?

Supercharged111
June 18th, 2015, 03:52 AM
I'm not sure, nor do I know how to check for that. I have the logs at home. My guess was that it was running the HO spark table then dropped somewhere in between. Will it permanently stay in between? Is there a foolproof way to check for that? I always figured if there was no KR, then I was good to go. I always see a couple isolated incidents of KR in my logs, but since they're not persistent I've written them off. Now I'm thinking the reason they're not persistent may be because the PCM is interpolating between the 2 maps.

joecar
June 18th, 2015, 01:14 PM
It should slowly slide back to the HO table (unless knock persists).

Yes, sliding between HO/LO maps = interpolating between HO/LO maps.

To check this, you could use the scantool->tunetool link pid highlighting...

post log and tune files.

Supercharged111
August 3rd, 2015, 09:57 AM
Sorry for the delayed response, I've been out of town a while. Below is the tune and a log from that tune when I was pulling my trailer in the middle of KS. This one had the most knock activity, but I think one of the longer ones captured the KR when it was locked in 4th. This one appears to have captured knock from 3rd gear. The fact that it's there and then gone is what really throws me.