PDA

View Full Version : Allison tcm j1939 modification.

gon2sea
June 19th, 2015, 06:39 AM
Can a 2003 5 speed allison tcm with j1939 protocol be modified / reprogrammed to accept a stand alone analog tps input..
Im a complete nubie at this so my terminology might be a bit off...!
Basically i am hoping to run a allison 2400 behind a mechanical cummins in my small motorhome. I have access to several 2000 /2400 tcm's already flashed for the 2000 series wide ratio automatics.

THEFERMANATOR
June 20th, 2015, 01:30 PM
A few have tried it, and found the ALLISON TCM will default back to an analog TPS when there is no J1939 present. These were 6 speed TCM's, so not sure what it would do with a 5 speed. Is the 2400 your considering running geared the same as the 1000 series, or is it the wide ratio version? Or you can run the PCS XFC box as it can send out J1939 signals from analog inputs.

gon2sea
June 22nd, 2015, 02:54 AM
A few have tried it, and found the ALLISON TCM will default back to an analog TPS when there is no J1939 present. These were 6 speed TCM's, so not sure what it would do with a 5 speed. Is the 2400 your considering running geared the same as the 1000 series, or is it the wide ratio version? Or you can run the PCS XFC box as it can send out J1939 signals from analog inputs.

its a wide ratio, but from the research i have done i believe all 2000 and 2400 series are wide ratio's as they are considered MD transmissions, but then again i might be wrong...lol..! ill try and see if the tcm will accept tps input, according to the allison manual, a new tcm will only look for inputs on the first 20 starts and after that it wont recognize different types of signals unless it is reset, if it doesnt work ill try and see if my local allison dealer is willing to tell the tcm to search for a tps input... i have found someone who will reflash / reprogram the tm but he is asking $400 which seems a bit steep...!
picking up the harness this morning so it will take me a few days to tear it down and wire it back up as a stand alone unit.

turbo_bu
June 22nd, 2015, 03:04 AM
Not sure if you have already seen this or not, but there was some good information about using the TCM for standalone swaps over on the 4BT forums.

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?15428-The-complete-Allison-1000-2000-2400-info-and-swap-guide-thread

gon2sea
June 22nd, 2015, 08:54 AM
the 4BT thread ( the complete guide to allison 1000 swap ) has been going on for 4 years... anyone can wire up an allison for stand alone usage, all the info is in the 445 page factory allison service manual, thats the simple part, the more technical aspect is whats not visible... inside the tcm.. and how it is programmed and that part is a bit more vague. as of yet, no one has done a step by step guide on the complete conversion. the vagueness seems to come from the fact that allison has used so many different tcm's and so many different programs and it seems that some tcm's are programable with EFI live, some are not..
Allison does not like to share or help in most cases.... the few people who have access to allison software will not program your TCM, they will only sell you a complete kit.. Destroked, presently does not have any as they are changing their OS... most people hate to deal with them, terrible costumer support AND overpriced, their old stand alone kit was $1800... cummins allison conversions, price wise is about $2000, very knowledgeable and good product, but its a kit or nothing...! i know from my end, i am not an electronic guru, so it would be nice to fins someone who had the knowledge and who understood that alot of people need help and could use a cheap source for an ALLISON TCM programmed for stand alone use...used tcm can be found for $100... it would be great to find someone who sold them already programmed for $300...
thats my opinion...!