PDA

View Full Version : HP tuner inhanced SD vs efi live.

tuff
May 14th, 2006, 05:56 AM
I had my car tuned yesterday and the tuner used the inhanced SD verson of hp tuners to tune my car.He knows i have efi but what he was conserned with is if i read the file that is in my pcm i will not get the inhanced part of the file?Is this true because this car has a hell of a time iding as it is.And if i copy and edit the file i might lose the inhanced part of the tune.This motor is 408 high compression with a large solid roller and a gm single plain intake with a accel 1550 throttle body.There are no o2s as we run c16 fuel in it all the time for nitrous.Any input would be appreated.

Thanks,Mike

Black02SS
May 14th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Hey Mike, I do not know the answer to this to be honest. What I would do is read the tune with HPT v 1.7 to get it in a *.bin format and maybe compare it like that in EFIlive. It will depend on if the cal file is the same I think....

GMPX
May 14th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Mike, we have some safe guards in place for HPT's custom O.S's to stop people copying them with EFILive, anyway, even if you can read it out if the O.S number they used clashes with one of ours (eg 01250001) EFILive will not allow you to do anything with it.

Cheers,
Ross

tuff
May 14th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Mike, we have some safe guards in place for HPT's custom O.S's to stop people copying them with EFILive, anyway, even if you can read it out if the O.S number they used clashes with one of ours (eg 01250001) EFILive will not allow you to do anything with it.

Cheers,
Ross

So if i copy it how much info will not be right?

GMPX
May 14th, 2006, 10:54 AM
You need to get the O.S number first and let us know, it may be one that EFILive does not even know. Not that we have cal files for all the HPT custom O.S's, but like my example above, we used 01250001 as a number for a custom O.S, so did they, problem is, they are for different years!.

Cheers,
Ross

tuff
May 14th, 2006, 12:27 PM
You need to get the O.S number first and let us know, it may be one that EFILive does not even know. Not that we have cal files for all the HPT custom O.S's, but like my example above, we used 01250001 as a number for a custom O.S, so did they, problem is, they are for different years!.

Cheers,
Ross
So can i just read to get the OS file number.If so ill do that and let ya know.i just don't wanna mess anything up if i read the pcm.

GMPX
May 14th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Chances are the PCM might be locked anyway, so just use the PCM Info button in the Tune tool.

Cheers,
Ross

MN C5
May 14th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Thats screwed up... Uses a HPT version you can't tweak and leaves you with a tune that doesn't idle.:nixweiss:

tuff
May 14th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Chances are the PCM might be locked anyway, so just use the PCM Info button in the Tune tool.

Cheers,
Ross

Well the os number is 01270005 and yea your right its locked.So am i screwed?

GMPX
May 14th, 2006, 02:01 PM
You are screwed only if the tuner won't unlock the PCM for you, even then, we can put you in contact with some people that could unlock it.

Cheers,
Ross

tuff
May 15th, 2006, 04:27 AM
You are screwed only if the tuner won't unlock the PCM for you, even then, we can put you in contact with some people that could unlock it.

Cheers,
Ross
Well mike the tuner i don't think will have a problem unlocking the pcm for me.I don't think he knows it was locked.Is it locked becauce its hp inhanced SD software or is it just as simple as him just unlocking the pcm.Im just hoping the time on the dyno was not a waste when we go to copy the file on efi.

ringram
May 15th, 2006, 04:50 AM
Better to get the tune done on a stock os, most/all will handle basic SD mode which you can then read, change and convert to a custom efi one.

tuff
May 15th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Better to get the tune done on a stock os, most/all will handle basic SD mode which you can then read, change and convert to a custom efi one.
Will i still be able to convert once its unlocked?

Darkness
May 15th, 2006, 07:11 AM

Cheers,
Ross
Thats the only reason that is keeping me from buying EFILive right now, my tune is locked with LS1edit and the tuner is 1100 miles away so him unlocking it is not an option :frown:

I have a 408 stocker with a huge cam and a Fast 90/90 and wouldnt want to start from scratch on a tune that just needs some part throtle and idle tweaks.

Help? :help2:

ringram
May 15th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Im pretty sure efi wont read a custom hpt tune as the dont have the calibrations to match. You need to get it returned to stock without dual spark maps, but with the fueling and spark timing used in the custom. Then its an easy change.

Some guys like waitforme will sell you a pcm with tune for a good price which you can then tune with efilive, that will leave you with your original pcm to go back to whenever you want. (Which wont happen once you get the hang of it)

kbracing96
May 15th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Thats the only reason that is keeping me from buying EFILive right now, my tune is locked with LS1edit and the tuner is 1100 miles away so him unlocking it is not an option :frown:

I have a 408 stocker with a huge cam and a Fast 90/90 and wouldnt want to start from scratch on a tune that just needs some part throtle and idle tweaks.

Help? :help2:

You should talk to Jesse, Wait4me on here. He can sell ya efilive and a unlocked PCM with a tune aready on it that will get you realy close for your 408, for a nice price.:cheers:

tuff
May 15th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Im pretty sure efi wont read a custom hpt tune as the dont have the calibrations to match. You need to get it returned to stock without dual spark maps, but with the fueling and spark timing used in the custom. Then its an easy change.

Some guys like waitforme will sell you a pcm with tune for a good price which you can then tune with efilive, that will leave you with your original pcm to go back to whenever you want. (Which wont happen once you get the hang of it)

I have another pcm that has a h/c tune in it from last year so im good on pcms.If i could get a copy of the hp tuners file and copy would that work or is there values in there that efi won't have that will make a problem.As long as my wot and part throttle stays the same and if all i had to do was retune idle i would be fine with that.

GMPX
May 15th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Thats the only reason that is keeping me from buying EFILive right now, my tune is locked with LS1edit

EFIlive will have no problem reading/programming a PCM locked with LS1Edit, LS1Edit only locks other LS1Edits!

Cheers,
Ross

wait4me
May 15th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Here is the deal of the century.. For 2 days only.... Buy Efilive from me and ill give, YES, Give you a free pcm for your vehicle... lol Just cause your a 408 stroker guy like me. Now, there are no excuses why not to buy it... :)

Darkness
May 15th, 2006, 11:36 AM
EFIlive will have no problem reading/programming a PCM locked with LS1Edit, LS1Edit only locks other LS1Edits!

Cheers,
Ross
Really well then I'm pulling the trigger on it :) Nice.

skippy
June 12th, 2006, 05:32 AM
just some FYI.....
have a buddy that went through a similar thing..

had his vehicle tuned with HP Tuners 1 bar SD Enhancement...
cant read it or write over it with EFI...
its a custom OS..and its an os locked by the OS..not by a tuner lock...
the message he got was OS locked...or something like that...
he was just needing some minor minor tweaks to the spark tables to do some nitrous,...had another buddy with EFI commercial full tunershop liscense..couldnt do anything...
had to get ahold of the original tuner and have him put back on the stock OS...the original tuner was off with the military for 2 months and had to wait till he got back to get it flashed back cause we couldnt find anybody else around here with HPT and the liscense for his car

If you guys have some trick to writing over a HPT SD OS..I'd like to know as I'm sure others would like to know as well

ringram
June 12th, 2006, 07:16 AM
I think a steady hand and some solder action on the flash chip is required...

BowlingSS
June 14th, 2006, 03:24 AM
I think a steady hand and some solder action on the flash chip is required...

My wife is real good with the solder. I let her do all my soldering. She is an electronic technician.:notacrook:

Bill
:beer: