PDA

View Full Version : Knock sensor de-sensitizing

turbo_bu
July 23rd, 2015, 04:07 AM
Has anyone played with de-sensitizing your knock sensors? I am working on an early LS (1998, LS1A) and I have turned off things like burst knock, but am still getting some very intermittant (not consistent) knock retard. Some internet reading (I know, dangerous) suggests others have "de-sensitized" their knock sensors to reduce / eliminate this. Looking at the software, there are several tables where one could play.

Any insight??? Which table is better to "play" with???

Spark \ Knock Hardware?

Spark \ Knock Software?

I was leaning toward starting with the Knock hardware simply because it has an RPM vs. MAP type table. In theory, I could just adjust the cells where I am seeing the KR. The KR is mainly only on tip in (acts like burst knock, but I have already zeroed out that table).

Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

turbo_bu
July 24th, 2015, 12:19 PM
I did a little more reading, and it sounds like B6244 Knock Sensor Multiplier A (Cylinder Mode) is as good a place to start as any. I am going to bump up the values to like 8 for all cylinders above ~2800 RPM and see what happens. I realize that I need to make sure it's false knock by throwing in some 100 octane. One guy mentioned that the early LS1's were "noisy", so maybe this is common???

joecar
July 24th, 2015, 08:38 PM
The early LS1 KS and subharnesses have a problem, and should be replaced.