PDA

View Full Version : OS Fault Aborted FULL PROGRAMMING Failure.

TBMSport
July 26th, 2015, 01:46 PM
I loaded my AutoCal saved ctz file into my autocal, unplugged it, and then attempted to do a full program directly from the AutoCal, I got that message "OS FAULT ABORTED". What am I doing wrong? plus "ERROR $0540"

Firmware and all are all up to date.

When I attempt to use Scan & Tune to go directly through the AutoCal for a FULL SCAN, I get "Incompatible Operating System"

Please advise.:Eyecrazy::wavetowel2:

cindy@efilive
July 26th, 2015, 02:14 PM
What controller(s) was the AutoCal setup for Scan, and Read/Flash?
What controller are you attempting to flash and scan?

It sounds like the controller setup on AutoCal is different to the controller in the vehicle you are connecting to.
Alternatively, perhaps only a tune file was moved to the AutoCal and that BBX controller configurations for Scan, and Read/Flash were never copied over.

Cheers
Cindy

TBMSport
July 26th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Controller was/is setup for E67. I'm attempting to full program the same type of E67 ECM. The ECM has an 2007 tune in it I'm trying to overwrite it with a 2008. I did only copy over the file into the TUNE folder. Do I need to copy the CTZ to the Read/Scan folders too? I see a COZ file in there too.

GMPX
July 26th, 2015, 05:03 PM
The ECM has an 2007 tune in it I'm trying to overwrite it with a 2008.
The software is stopping the ECM from getting corrupted, many 2007 OS's are not compatible with 2008 OS's.

TBMSport
July 27th, 2015, 02:05 AM
The software is stopping the ECM from getting corrupted, many 2007 OS's are not compatible with 2008 OS's.

I understand that, but I have overwritten this OS' s before. Is this due to the fact that it's not a .tun file?

GMPX
July 27th, 2015, 09:12 AM
With EFILive? .tun or .ctz won't make a difference, the same checks are done in V7.5 and V8.

TBMSport
July 27th, 2015, 09:52 AM
With EFILive? .tun or .ctz won't make a difference, the same checks are done in V7.5 and V8.

Yes, sir, with EFILive. It's been a while since I last had to do it and it was before I recently upgraded the firmware and boot, but yes I've done it multiple times including my personal trucks. So obviously, I just need to find a work-around solutions. Thanks for timely replies, guys!

GMPX
July 27th, 2015, 05:48 PM
Can you please list what OS you are trying to flash and what is in the ECM. We haven't changed the lists from when they were first introduced.

TBMSport
September 5th, 2015, 04:52 PM
Sorry, real life got in the way.

The OS's are:

TBMSport
November 12th, 2015, 01:27 PM
Bump for an answer. Thanks.

TBMSport
November 12th, 2015, 01:36 PM
Additionally, I now am unable to Full Flash a T43. I wish to put the original 24239353 that was previously changed by a shop to 24249179, however I can no longer do it since everything has gone to the .CTZ only format. Please advise.

GMPX
November 12th, 2015, 04:11 PM
V7.5 has never been able to Full Flash a T43 (cal only from day one), only V8 can full flash T43's.

TBMSport
November 13th, 2015, 10:21 AM
V7.5 has never been able to Full Flash a T43 (cal only from day one), only V8 can full flash T43's.

Ok.either way, I still cannot full flash the T43 even with V8 as it tells me the OS is incompatible.

Taz
November 13th, 2015, 02:32 PM
Additionally, I now am unable to Full Flash a T43. I wish to put the original 24239353 that was previously changed by a shop to 24249179, however I can no longer do it since everything has gone to the .CTZ only format. Please advise.

Hello Jesse,

I did quite a lot of R&D with the T43 a couple of years ago. There are more than a few different GM part numbers / service numbers for the T43 TCM over the years.

If the original OS was 24239353, then the T43 was from a 2007 or 2008 model vehicle. T43 OS 24249179 was used in some 2009 model vehicles.

If memory serves, I was able to use EFILive to flash 2006 to 2008 model year OS into a T43 similar to yours. If I recall correctly, EFILive would not allow a 2009 model year OS to be flashed into this T43.

The concern is the corruption (i.e. bricking) of the T43 TCM. If I need to change the OS in a T43, I tend to work in two distinct camps – 2006 to 2008 OS, and 2012+ OS. If the T43 is a 2010, I won’t change the OS at all (out of caution).

So, if the T43 originally had OS 24239353 and now has OS 24249179, then there is a very good chance this was done with a Tech 2 or MDI – which is what you will need to use to change it back.

A word of caution – using TIS2WEB and a Tech 2 or MDI is no guarantee that you won’t destroy the T43 (or any controller). I have destroyed more LS1-B PCMs using GM’s software than I have using tuning software.

Best regards,
Taz

TBMSport
November 14th, 2015, 05:10 AM
Hello Jesse,

I did quite a lot of R&D with the T43 a couple of years ago. There are more than a few different GM part numbers / service numbers for the T43 TCM over the years.

If the original OS was 24239353, then the T43 was from a 2007 or 2008 model vehicle. T43 OS 24249179 was used in some 2009 model vehicles.

If memory serves, I was able to use EFILive to flash 2006 to 2008 model year OS into a T43 similar to yours. If I recall correctly, EFILive would not allow a 2009 model year OS to be flashed into this T43.

The concern is the corruption (i.e. bricking) of the T43 TCM. If I need to change the OS in a T43, I tend to work in two distinct camps – 2006 to 2008 OS, and 2012+ OS. If the T43 is a 2010, I won’t change the OS at all (out of caution).

So, if the T43 originally had OS 24239353 and now has OS 24249179, then there is a very good chance this was done with a Tech 2 or MDI – which is what you will need to use to change it back.

A word of caution – using TIS2WEB and a Tech 2 or MDI is no guarantee that you won’t destroy the T43 (or any controller). I have destroyed more LS1-B PCMs using GM’s software than I have using tuning software.

Best regards,
Taz

:rockon::rockon::rockon::cheers::cheers::cheers:
THANK YOU! You have confirmed something that I have suspected over the past few years. I personally have specifically focused on 07-08's T43's (exclusively using EFILive) and always cautioned customers who used any other model year base T43 OS's. It just so happened that customers have been using 07,08, and 2012+, which is why I never encountered this problem. I must assume the other shop used a GM controller OR simply switched the TCM bc it originally came out of an 08 Escalade and now it has this Vette tune (just so that he could use his TUTD). But now it has caused a bunch of other problems.

Now if I can only figure out why I can't reprogram my E67's.:sly:

Taz
November 14th, 2015, 06:54 AM
... Now if I can only figure out why I can't reprogram my E67's ...

Hello Jesse,

Tuning software (any and all) can only read and flash 6 out of the 8 segments of a Gen 4 ECM calibration (i.e. E38 / E67).

The Engine Operation segment (throttle control) and the Slave segment do NOT get read or flashed.

In some very specific circumstances you can flash a new (and different) ECM OS over another ECM OS, and not create significant issues in the process - but this is the exception, not the rule.

The best / safest / most professional way to reprogram the OS in a Gen 4 ECM (your E67 example) is by using a Tech 2, MDI, or any other compatible J2534 device in conjunction with GM software, and the appropriate calibration purchased from GM (or often via ACDelco).

It is simply the cost of doing business correctly.

Best regards,
Taz

TBMSport
November 14th, 2015, 08:43 AM
Hello Jesse,

Tuning software (any and all) can only read and flash 6 out of the 8 segments of a Gen 4 ECM calibration (i.e. E38 / E67).

The Engine Operation segment (throttle control) and the Slave segment do NOT get read or flashed.

In some very specific circumstances you can flash a new (and different) ECM OS over another ECM OS, and not create significant issues in the process - but this is the exception, not the rule.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, it's conceivable that, in strictly using EFILIVE, I could have programmed one OS over another without a problem, but can't necessarily put it back due to the 6 of 8 segmenting and perhaps even how the new OS took to the remaining 2 segments?

Taz
November 14th, 2015, 09:26 AM
So if I'm understanding this correctly, it's conceivable that, in strictly using EFILIVE, I could have programmed one OS over another without a problem, but can't necessarily put it back due to the 6 of 8 segmenting and perhaps even how the new OS took to the remaining 2 segments?

Not necessarily ... I don't know what checks and balances the EFILive software uses to prevent potential damage to an E67 ECM.

What I am saying, is that using any tuning software to change the OS in an E67 ECM is not the best course of action (especially for a commercial business).

When I put together a wiring harness and ECM package, an appropriate ECM core is selected from inventory, initially programmed using the TIS2WEB service (the correct base program for the intended application installed), then tuning software is used to disable VATS, enable or disable other options, configure inputs and outputs (e.g. ECM Starter control, Cruise Control, Speedometer, Tach, and Gage outputs), Idle and Airflow parameters are adjusted as necessary, and DTCs are configured.

I would not use tuning software to change the OS in a Gen 4 ECM.

Best regards,
Taz

minytrker
November 15th, 2015, 06:15 AM
Not necessarily ... I don't know what checks and balances the EFILive software uses to prevent potential damage to an E67 ECM.

What I am saying, is that using any tuning software to change the OS in an E67 ECM is not the best course of action (especially for a commercial business).

When I put together a wiring harness and ECM package, an appropriate ECM core is selected from inventory, initially programmed using the TIS2WEB service (the correct base program for the intended application installed), then tuning software is used to disable VATS, enable or disable other options, configure inputs and outputs (e.g. ECM Starter control, Cruise Control, Speedometer, Tach, and Gage outputs), Idle and Airflow parameters are adjusted as necessary, and DTCs are configured.

I would not use tuning software to change the OS in a Gen 4 ECM.

Best regards,
Taz

Man I wish everyone had that same thought process, sure would make tuning swaps so much easier. Im not sure a week goes by where I dont get a call about someone having mismatched components on a swap.

Taz
November 15th, 2015, 09:06 AM
Hello Lorenz,

Thank you for the kind words. The Devil is in the details with Gen 4 platforms.

Best regards,
Taz

GMPX
November 15th, 2015, 10:25 AM
As Taz hinted, GM's TIS2WEB does not have any sanity checks on what you are trying to do, if you manage to get it to flash say a 2007 E67 OS in to a 2010 E67 ECM then it will corrupt/brick it 100% guaranteed to happen, that is why we won't remove those restrictions and this applies to any controller (TCM's included). Mind you they are getting better with the late model stuff where they do check some part numbers before allowing the flash.
Taz is also correct in that if you have a 2006 E67 from a Pontiac G6 GTP 3.9L and you are using it on a 2006 Northstar V8 then yes you must use TIS2WEB so all 8 segments are flashed. The secondary CPU (the last two segments) are not readable therefore only TIS has the means to flash it because all the files are stored at the GM HQ servers. And to be honest the thought of flashing the very thing that oversees correct throttle operation is not something I'd be happy with.

TBMSport
November 16th, 2015, 05:30 AM
Got it. I recognize the technical aspects of "the process" are not generally shared due to it completely confusing the casual hot rodder -turned- tuner, but having done so many 6 speed swaps and hitting this bump, really threw me. Furthet cleared up some throttle issues I wad having in my own project trucks. Thanks for taking the time to explain and clarify; and advise how to program moving forward. Time for a Tech 2!!!

GMPX
November 16th, 2015, 07:10 AM
TechII not needed, there is much cheaper pass through options, just Google 'J2534 pass through device'.