PDA

View Full Version : FSV2 to LC-1 via serial port.

Hib Halverson
August 14th, 2015, 05:05 PM
EFILive FlashScan Serial Protocol .pdf reads:

Power up FlashScan, and select the following option:
1. F4 Options -> F1 Setup -> F1 Edit Settings.
then
2. Scroll down to the COM Port setting using the down arrow key.
3. Change the value to Dyno using the left or right arrow key.
4. Press Ok to save the changes.

When I select F4:F1 Setup:F1 Edit Settings, my choices are:
"Unknown"
"Wide-O2"
"External"

No setting called "Dyno" is available.

What should I do?

joecar
August 14th, 2015, 10:41 PM
EFILive FlashScan Serial Protocol .pdf reads:

Power up FlashScan, and select the following option:
1. F4 Options -> F1 Setup -> F1 Edit Settings.
then
2. Scroll down to the COM Port setting using the down arrow key.
3. Change the value to Dyno using the left or right arrow key.
4. Press Ok to save the changes.

When I select F4:F1 Setup:F1 Edit Settings, my choices are:
"Unknown"
"Wide-O2"
"External"

No setting called "Dyno" is available.

What should I do?
You're reading an old pdf.

you would select Wide-O2 (you obviously want to read from the wideband, right...?).

Also see here: https://support.efilive.com/kb_article.php?ref=5992-UOAZ-4147

Hib Halverson
August 15th, 2015, 02:10 AM
You're reading an old pdf.

I apologize for that but, it's the only .pdf on the EFI Live disc I have which I just received two weeks ago. That .pdf was revised 7 May 2014. Is there one newer that that available somewhere?

you would select Wide-O2 (you obviously want to read from the wideband, right...?).

Also see here: https://support.efilive.com/kb_article.php?ref=5992-UOAZ-4147

Thanks. I will go read that.

Hib Halverson
August 15th, 2015, 02:20 AM
Ok, I read that but now I'm even more confused. The above referenced seems to be for black box recording. That's not what I'm trying to do. I want to use my serial port to bring WB data into my laptop so I can display it with other parameters in the scanner v7.5.

Happy Jim
August 15th, 2015, 08:16 AM
Ok, I read that but now I'm even more confused. The above referenced seems to be for black box recording. That's not what I'm trying to do. I want to use my serial port to bring WB data into my laptop so I can display it with other parameters in the scanner v7.5.

That's not how it works. Connect the wide band into the Eli live device (aka the black box), the box then combines that data with the OBD2 data and passes it to the scanner 7.5 to display.

Jim

Hib Halverson
August 15th, 2015, 09:47 AM
That's not how it works. Connect the wide band into the Eli live device (aka the black box), the box then combines that data with the OBD2 data and passes it to the scanner 7.5 to display.

Jim

I get that part.

I tell ya, I'm just having a hell of a time with the Scanner. I've been able to select some PIDs, get it ready to do a chart, but half of the time, when I try and scan, the Flash Scan indicates it's not connected to an "OBDII controller" even thought the engine is running. All I can "see" is my WB though the serial connection.

I can disconnect the FlashScan from the DLC and connect a competitor's interface and, using their software, instantly begin to scan the PIDs I need. I can go back to EFI Live's interface and Scanner 7.5 and the engine controller is not recognized and my PIDs are "X'ed" out.

I love EFI Live's cal editing app compared to what I was using before, but the scanner has a very difficult learning curve. I'm already bald so there's no hair to pull out.

joecar
August 15th, 2015, 10:42 AM
I apologize for that but, it's the only .pdf on the EFI Live disc I have which I just received two weeks ago. That .pdf was revised 7 May 2014. Is there one newer that that available somewhere?

Thanks. I will go read that.The most current material is on the forum...

for this particular topic see the stickied threads here:FlashScan-V2 (https://forum.efilive.com/forumdisplay.php?42-FlashScan-V2)

Also see this: Setting-up-a-FSV2-from-scratch (https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?20699-Setting-up-a-FSV2-from-scratch)

Also see the knowledge base here: support.efilive.com/kb (https://support.efilive.com/kb.php?)

joecar
August 15th, 2015, 10:43 AM
The software/firmware tends to keep outpacing the documentation.

joecar
August 15th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Ok, I read that but now I'm even more confused. The above referenced seems to be for black box recording. That's not what I'm trying to do.

I want to use my serial port to bring WB data into my laptop so I can display it with other parameters in the scanner v7.5.It shows you the same settings that you need... whether you use passthru or BBL, you still need to configure your V2 (either from the keypad or from the software).

joecar
August 15th, 2015, 10:58 AM
I get that part.

I tell ya, I'm just having a hell of a time with the Scanner. I've been able to select some PIDs, get it ready to do a chart, but half of the time, when I try and scan, the Flash Scan indicates it's not connected to an "OBDII controller" even thought the engine is running. All I can "see" is my WB though the serial connection.

I can disconnect the FlashScan from the DLC and connect a competitor's interface and, using their software, instantly begin to scan the PIDs I need. I can go back to EFI Live's interface and Scanner 7.5 and the engine controller is not recognized and my PIDs are "X'ed" out.

I love EFI Live's cal editing app compared to what I was using before, but the scanner has a very difficult learning curve. I'm already bald so there's no hair to pull out.Hib,

Which V7 and V8 software build versions did you install...?
If they are from the CD then they are out of date.
Download/install from here: Aug-13-2015-EFILive-Public-Pre-Release (https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?25856-Aug-13-2015-EFILive-Public-Pre-Release)

Then you need to configure V2 for BBX (even if you're going to use passthru mode, there are PCM specific config's required)... see here:
kb_article.php?ref=6659-YAHB-3781 (https://support.efilive.com/kb_article.php?ref=6659-YAHB-3781)
Setting-up-a-FSV2-from-scratch (https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?20699-Setting-up-a-FSV2-from-scratch)

Post some screenshots showing connecting and showing the PIDs tab...

What year/model/vehicle do you have...?

Once you get the scantool going you will like it (it has some advanced features over othe scantools).

joecar
August 15th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Hib,

Did you click the green Connect button (upper left, on toolbar)...?

After it connects, do Info->Validate Pids, and let it finish... you should see your VIN at the bottom of the window...

Hib Halverson
August 16th, 2015, 12:56 PM
Hey Joe-

Hib,

Which V7 and V8 software build versions did you install...?

I'm at 7.5.7.291, 8.2.2.284, boot block 2.07.07 and firmware 2.07.89

If they are from the CD then they are out of date.I never used the DVD for installation of the programs. I just pulled all the tutorials and user documentation off them, then got the apps from the URL below

Download/install from here: Aug-13-2015-EFILive-Public-Pre-Release (https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?25856-Aug-13-2015-EFILive-Public-Pre-Release)

Then you need to configure V2 for BBX (even if you're going to use passthru mode, there are PCM specific config's required)... see here:
kb_article.php?ref=6659-YAHB-3781 (https://support.efilive.com/kb_article.php?ref=6659-YAHB-3781)
Setting-up-a-FSV2-from-scratch (https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?20699-Setting-up-a-FSV2-from-scratch)
Actually, I was able to get my WB (LC-1) into Scanner via the serial connection one time while displaying all my other PIDs. This was during a scan session last night to make sure everything worked before our test trip. After that, I spent a long time configuring the chart feature and then tried scanning again to test my charting set up. I couldn't make it work and repeated attempts to scan only resulted in the application consistently telling me it could not find an "OBD2 controller". This was inspire of the engine running and the app telling me it was "connecting." Actually, scanner would display only my WB data no matter what I did...restart the app, restart the engine, restart the computer, unplug replug connections, check FlashScan config...whatever I did didn't work.:frown:

By 9 PM, we were just about out of time and I had to get rolling on the test, so I used "brand H's" scan software, with the WB connected via analog, and it worked with no problems. We got our data and, from it, know we have a lot more cal work to do. Virtual VE here I come. Oh, for joy.

Post some screenshots showing connecting and showing the PIDs tab...I will do that the next time we need to log data. Early next week probably.

What year/model/vehicle do you have...?MY12 Corvette Z06 with an OS upgrade allowing fan PW% selections at lower ECTs than stock. A very handy feature of the cal editing program, I might add. Another welcome feature is the ability to access the "intake manifold volume" PID.

Once you get the scantool going you will like it (it has some advanced features over othe scan tools).
A calibrator I respect keeps telling me that but, last night, time constraints forced us to give-up trying to make it work.

Lastly, when you are in the editing program and you have an alternate tuning file open for comparison, how do you just close the alternative calibration but not close the main tuning file or exit the program?

Hib Halverson
August 16th, 2015, 01:01 PM
Hib,

Did you click the green Connect button (upper left, on toolbar)...?

After it connects, do Info->Validate Pids, and let it finish... you should see your VIN at the bottom of the window...

No. I was using the "connect" function under the file menu.

I "validated PIDs" until I was blue-in-the-face last night and still could not connect. All the PIDs coming out of the DLC were X'ed out.

Another question: when working with a virtual VE table with the FlashScan connected, I find that you cannot compare the open cal file and an alternative cal file. When I click show differences there's no data in the window other than the x- and y-axis labels inspite my knowing the VE table of the open cal file is different than the one to which I'm comparing.

Let me know what you think.

joecar
August 17th, 2015, 01:51 AM
No. I was using the "connect" function under the file menu.

I "validated PIDs" until I was blue-in-the-face last night and still could not connect. All the PIDs coming out of the DLC were X'ed out.

Another question: when working with a virtual VE table with the FlashScan connected, I find that you cannot compare the open cal file and an alternative cal file. When I click show differences there's no data in the window other than the x- and y-axis labels inspite my knowing the VE table of the open cal file is different than the one to which I'm comparing.

Let me know what you think.
Ok, File->Connect and green connect button are the same function.

Before validating pids, goto PIDs tab and uncheck Supported; then also try this: go File->Enter VIN (and enter it), File->Select Controller (and select it); then do validate pids.

I don't know why the differences are not showing up... can you send me some example files (check pm for email address... I can't pm you until you have 10 posts under your belt).

joecar
August 17th, 2015, 02:01 AM
Hey Joe-

I'm at 7.5.7.291, 8.2.2.284, boot block 2.07.07 and firmware 2.07.89

I never used the DVD for installation of the programs. I just pulled all the tutorials and user documentation off them, then got the apps from the URL below

Ok. The forum contains more updated tutorial material (depending on the tutorial).

Actually, I was able to get my WB (LC-1) into Scanner via the serial connection one time while displaying all my other PIDs. This was during a scan session last night to make sure everything worked before our test trip. After that, I spent a long time configuring the chart feature and then tried scanning again to test my charting set up. I couldn't make it work and repeated attempts to scan only resulted in the application consistently telling me it could not find an "OBD2 controller". This was inspire of the engine running and the app telling me it was "connecting." Actually, scanner would display only my WB data no matter what I did...restart the app, restart the engine, restart the computer, unplug replug connections, check FlashScan config...whatever I did didn't work.:frown:
When this happens, goto the Console tab in the scantool, do Ctrl-A Ctrl-C (to select all and copy to clipboard) and paste it into forum post/reply.

By 9 PM, we were just about out of time and I had to get rolling on the test, so I used "brand H's" scan software, with the WB connected via analog, and it worked with no problems. We got our data and, from it, know we have a lot more cal work to do. Virtual VE here I come. Oh, for joy.

I will do that the next time we need to log data. Early next week probably.
Let me know how VVE goes.

MY12 Corvette Z06 with an OS upgrade allowing fan PW% selections at lower ECTs than stock. A very handy feature of the cal editing program, I might add. Another welcome feature is the ability to access the "intake manifold volume" PID.Different tools cover different feature-sets.

A calibrator I respect keeps telling me that but, last night, time constraints forced us to give-up trying to make it work.
If you're coming in cold with a time deadline, then it would be a bad idea to try instantly learning the scantool. But otherwise it will be worth your while to learn it and use it, some features make tuning very easy (allows you to concentrate on tuning without being distracted by some manual action you have to do between the scantool/tunetool).

Lastly, when you are in the editing program and you have an alternate tuning file open for comparison, how do you just close the alternative calibration but not close the main tuning file or exit the program?I believe you can't close the alternate file... is there a reason for closing it...?

joecar
August 17th, 2015, 02:04 AM
Post two more posts (forum software anti-spam inhibits pm's until a user has 10+ posts), and then pm your phone number.

Hib Halverson
August 17th, 2015, 06:24 AM
Ok, here's one post.
When working with an engine which has no IMTV which table does the cal use "open" or "closed"?

Hib Halverson
August 17th, 2015, 06:31 AM
Here's #10.

The tutorial in virtual VE table tuning says that if the FlashScan is connected then the tuning app is started, all the icons will be displayed in red to indicated their protected status. All my VVE table icons are red on top, yellow on the front and green on the side. I know the machine can see my FlashScan because I can use 8.2.2 to read the boot block and firmware in the device.

So...why won't the icons turn red to indicate the tuning program knows I have a legit copy of the software?

Hib Halverson
August 17th, 2015, 06:36 AM
Also, I just found out I cannot cut/past data from the VVE table in one tuning file then paste it into another so the program must not be recognizing my FlashScan as being licensed even though I can get the boot block and firmware version info out of it.

joecar
August 17th, 2015, 06:55 AM
Here's #10.

The tutorial in virtual VE table tuning says that if the FlashScan is connected then the tuning app is started, all the icons will be displayed in red to indicated their protected status. All my VVE table icons are red on top, yellow on the front and green on the side. I know the machine can see my FlashScan because I can use 8.2.2 to read the boot block and firmware in the device.

So...why won't the icons turn red to indicate the tuning program knows I have a legit copy of the software?

My phone is 00-1-805-685-6864 but to call Goleta CA USA from NZ would cost a fortune. For your benefit, let's keep trying to do this on email.
In tunetool go Help->Register EFILive... did you enter the info from the blue card here...?

I think that in the newer software those tables are visible regardless of V2 plugged into PC.

I'm actually in So.Cal. (just inside the Orange Curtain).

joecar
August 17th, 2015, 07:00 AM
Ok, here's one post.
When working with an engine which has no IMTV which table does the cal use "open" or "closed"?When you view the description of table B8001 you will see this:

"VE Coefficient tables on engines without an IMTV (Intake Manifold Tuning Valve) or with the IMTV in the open position if fitted. . . ."

Also look at the description for B8051...

Your 2012 Y-car does not use AFM/DoD, correct...?

joecar
August 17th, 2015, 07:05 AM
( hmmm, my avatar does not show my location... it used to )

joecar
August 17th, 2015, 07:13 AM
( your forum settings block pm's so I couldn't pm you )

I can call you later today, I can't pin down a time yet, what is the latest I can call...?

( do you care if your phone # is in public as in post #18 above...? )

Hib Halverson
August 17th, 2015, 03:47 PM
When you view the description of table B8001 you will see this:

"VE Coefficient tables on engines without an IMTV (Intake Manifold Tuning Valve) or with the IMTV in the open position if fitted. . . ."Ok. I found that. I never saw that before. Silly me.

Also look at the description for B8051...
Found that too.

Your 2012 Y-car does not use AFM/DoD, correct...?
No cylinder deac. on any C6.

Must be the default setting as I don't think I've ever looked at those settings. Maybe I should.

( do you care if your phone # is in public as in post #18 above...? )
Now that I think about it, I guess it's not such a great idea. I'll edit that post.

I'm actually in So.Cal. (just inside the Orange Curtain).
Saw the NZ flag and figured you were one of the EFI Live folks from there

I can call you later today, I can't pin down a time yet, what is the latest I can call...?
Ah...I'm posting at almost 10 PM and you were talking about today. As for tomorrow, I come to work at 8 so any time after that. The number posted was my office/shop.

Hib Halverson
August 18th, 2015, 05:43 AM
I got Scanner running properly.

It was another dumb-assed mistake on my part. When you first connect there's that little box where you check from where the data comes. When I first started using the program, that always defaulted to an E38. During the process of setting up my WB for a serial connection, it changed to FlashScan only and I never noticed that. No wonder none of the PIDs coming over the DLC were showing up.

I should not quit my day job.

Hib Halverson
August 18th, 2015, 05:46 AM

I just checked the settings. They are unchanged and PM is turned on so I don't get why you can't PM me.

joecar
August 18th, 2015, 09:23 AM
Ok. I found that. I never saw that before. Silly me.When E38 came out, it took me a while to answer that same question for myself.

No cylinder deac. on any C6.Ah, I realized that after seeing you said it is a MY12 Z06.

Saw the NZ flag and figured you were one of the EFI Live folks from thereActually, it's the AUS flag (see the seven point star under the Union Jack)... but I've been in So.Cal. for about 25+ years now.

Ah...I'm posting at almost 10 PM and you were talking about today. As for tomorrow, I come to work at 8 so any time after that. The number posted was my office/shop.No worries... I'll see if I can call during work hours (depending on how busy my day job keeps me).

Hib Halverson
August 18th, 2015, 03:01 PM
(snip)
Actually, it's the AUS flag (see the seven point star under the Union Jack)... but I've been in So.Cal. for about 25+ years now.(snip)

Oops. Got my flags mixed up. My apologies to Australians and New Zealanders. Considering the two groups publish most of the useful tuning software around, I need to be careful about pissing all you guys off.

I get it now...
This is New Zealand...

...and this is Austraila