PDA

View Full Version : unable to open tunes after update

ViciousKnid
September 25th, 2015, 03:21 AM
I've been running v7.5 from several years ago and never used v8. I've never had any issues viewing tunes. Yesterday I updated everything. V8 and v7.5 are completely up to date. I checked them both again a minute ago. I also finally updated my V2 which has had the same firmware since 07.
All in an effort to learn to BB tune.

Today I have a tune file sent to me that a friend is having issues with and I can't open it in 7.5 nor 8. Both show "The version of the file being opened is not supported by this software version."

Can someone tell me how on earth to open this tune?

V8.2.2 build 276
v7.5.7 build 283

joecar
September 25th, 2015, 04:11 AM
Hi Joshua,

See post #1 here: Setting-up-a-FSV2-from-scratch (https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?20699-Setting-up-a-FSV2-from-scratch)

ViciousKnid
September 25th, 2015, 04:36 AM
Thanks Joe but I don't see anything there telling me how to open a .CTZ in 7.5 or 8 to mess with the tune or how to edit it to work. Everything there is referring loading it into my V2 which i haven't even made it to yet.
Perhaps i'm just not seeing it or not understanding how my v2 settings will address my issue with tuning.

Would be nice if everything was simply backwards compatible. I can load all my tunes that I previously used on v7.5 just fine that are .tun. Just not this .CTZ that I assume was saved using V8.

Since i'm here can you point me towards some other things I'm having a hell of a time finding using search? I've been tunning my personal stuff 99-07c Gen 3.
I can't find a tutorial on tuning Gen 4. I'm certain there is one but i've looked multiple times over the last year since I got an Gen4 and just can't find it. I know it uses Coefficience but no specific info on the tuning differences and how to do it.

ViciousKnid
September 25th, 2015, 04:57 AM
I went to the F8 Tools where it says to Convert the .tun file but it will still not recognize the .ctz file i'm trying to open.

Though I did find the other option there to convert everything within the folder. Just had to sift through all those other steps that didn't apply. Converted it successfully but still get the same error when i try to view the tune

ViciousKnid
September 25th, 2015, 05:18 AM
Well i Thought it had went. I didn't pay attention. Notice the Error at the bottom. I can't convert the file because it won't recognize it.

ViciousKnid
September 25th, 2015, 08:29 AM
Well now that everything's updated I can't even data log with scan tool.
Subfunction not supported.

Having problems with my laptop overheating so I'm getting a ride to okc for a new laptop and starting over fresh.
Just completely uninstalled and reinstalled and updated everything yesterday for no reason but to start BB logging and now nothing works without digging through the forum to fix problems created by the updates

Will reply when I get the new laptop and Start over. Seems way less of a headache though at that point to reinstall my old v7.5 and continue using it

Blacky
September 25th, 2015, 08:48 AM
I've been running v7.5 from several years ago and never used v8. I've never had any issues viewing tunes. Yesterday I updated everything. V8 and v7.5 are completely up to date. I checked them both again a minute ago. I also finally updated my V2 which has had the same firmware since 07.
All in an effort to learn to BB tune.

Today I have a tune file sent to me that a friend is having issues with and I can't open it in 7.5 nor 8. Both show "The version of the file being opened is not supported by this software version."

Can someone tell me how on earth to open this tune?

V8.2.2 build 276
v7.5.7 build 283

The error you are seeing is not because you updated. It is because the person who supplied the tune to you is using an even more recent version than you are.
Please update to the very latest pre-release version available here: https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?25922-Sep-2015-EFILive-Public-Pre-Release

The pre-release versions do not show up when you select the "Check For Updates" option. They must be manually downloaded and installed.
Once a pre-release version is considered stable enough to become a general public release, then it is added to the "Check For Updates" option.

Regards
Paul

ViciousKnid
September 25th, 2015, 08:54 AM
Thanks Paul.
I'll load the prerelease when I get the new laptop. Battery on the current one doesn't stay charged long and over heats when plugged in.

Once I get it all up again I'll report back on my data logging error I now have.
So frustrated at the moment.

Appreciate the info. I'm sure it's been answered before, just have a heck of a time finding the threads

ViciousKnid
September 26th, 2015, 04:39 AM
Loaded everything to the new laptop and installed the pre release. Working good so far. Able to log my truck again.
Not sure why i was unable to log after updating on the other laptop. It would connect and show all pids, just wouldn't record or monitor.

Now if I can just find the pages i need to start on my Gen Iv.

Thanks guys. Sorry to come across as bitchy. Was just very frustrating to go from a working setup to something that wouldn't work and have a laptop that wouldn't stay on long enough to figure it out.

joecar
September 26th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Well i Thought it had went. I didn't pay attention. Notice the Error at the bottom. I can't convert the file because it won't recognize it.

18865You don't have to convert files...

you simply open a .tun file using the tunetool and then save it (it will be saved as .ctz).

joecar
September 26th, 2015, 10:30 AM

Since i'm here can you point me towards some other things I'm having a hell of a time finding using search? I've been tunning my personal stuff 99-07c Gen 3.
I can't find a tutorial on tuning Gen 4. I'm certain there is one but i've looked multiple times over the last year since I got an Gen4 and just can't find it. I know it uses Coefficience but no specific info on the tuning differences and how to do it.

Now if I can just find the pages i need to start on my Gen Iv.

See post #83 here: E38-VVE-Setup-Guide (https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?8961-E38-VVE-Setup-Guide)

ViciousKnid
September 26th, 2015, 10:36 AM
You don't have to convert files...

you simply open a .tun file using the tunetool and then save it (it will be saved as .ctz).
That was the problem. I couldn't open the file what so ever. Couldn't open to save couldn't convert. Couldn't do anything with it. Paul figured it out though. I didn't have the pre-release and the person who saved it did. Once I got the pre-release i was able to view the file.

See post #83 here: E38-VVE-Setup-Guide (https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?8961-E38-VVE-Setup-Guide)

Thanks. I'm normally great at finding this stuff. I'll try to manage with my big boy pants from here on out. Thanks again to both of you.

joecar
September 26th, 2015, 01:36 PM
That was the problem. I couldn't open the file what so ever. Couldn't open to save couldn't convert. Couldn't do anything with it. Paul figured it out though. I didn't have the pre-release and the person who saved it did. Once I got the pre-release i was able to view the file.

...Ah, I see.

joecar
September 26th, 2015, 01:36 PM

Thanks. I'm normally great at finding this stuff. I'll try to manage with my big boy pants from here on out. Thanks again to both of you.lol, no worries :cheers: