PDA

View Full Version : How are some tuners/resellers deleting with EFI Live?

catman3126
September 28th, 2015, 05:16 AM
Title says it. how are they doing it without "pro tuning" or delete parameters provided to US based tuners or even out of the US based tuners. There's about half a dozen or so US based tuners providing this and the claim is that they are not using addition software or equipment to do so. So how's it being done and where can I get it? I get requests daily and am missing out on a lot of business due to not having it. I hear about .CAX but was also told that that has been disable or taken away from the EFI live update.

ScarabEpic22
September 28th, 2015, 06:11 AM
I would imagine they have built their own .cax files and are using those enhancements to provide deleted tunes. EFILive doesn't have support for deletes with the EFILive-provided .calz files, so they are either buying a deleted base file or have built .cax files for deletes.

catman3126
September 28th, 2015, 06:15 AM
Well that might be but it doesn't sound like someone is selling them unlocked deleted tunes.

DURAtotheMAX
September 28th, 2015, 07:52 AM
EFILive removed the .cax features????

GMC-2002-Dmax
September 28th, 2015, 08:15 AM
Anyone tuning the 2010-2015 Cummins and is removing anything is doing it 100% outside of EFI-Live for finding/mapping the required parameters.

Once the actual address is known for the required table a .CAX file is added to allow the tuner to see the actual table withing EFI-Live's software

CAX files are a file a tuner makes and the software will open it with the .calz files, it will take lots and lots of time and money spent if you want to be able to do it yourself.

:ermm:

catman3126
September 28th, 2015, 08:25 AM
OK so what are they buying and or using? I'm guess you won't say but thought I would ask. and I don't care about what it costs.

catman3126
September 28th, 2015, 08:30 AM
According to Socal they have but IDK that for sure. I have a screen shot of the email from them saying so last week. I won't post it but I can email it if you want to see.

GMC-2002-Dmax
September 28th, 2015, 08:31 AM
You need to be able to find the tables, to do that you need to know where they are located and then what the table is and how to make sense of it.

Getting the information as to "where" the tables are is the first step, then once you know where they are you have to either build deleted base files or build a .CAX to be able to edit them.

Not many people will help you out on that one, sucks but that is how business is today, if you can do something and another tuner cannot you get the business and they don't.

Its not personal, its just a business decision we all make.

catman3126
September 28th, 2015, 08:54 AM
Understandable. So on another note what or where is the best way to learn "chip tuning" I have equipment to do "other then Cummins and Duramax" and know how it works but need to learn more about it. I guess if all else fails a trip to Italy will be in order lol.

GMC-2002-Dmax
September 28th, 2015, 11:50 AM
Get the treasure map......either an engineers document, an authentic A2L file, without any references as to what things are and where things are, it its a huge waste of time, you will never figure it out without the map.

Reverse engineering requires the expertise of someone on Ross or Paul's level and its extremely hard to do.

You would be better off seeing if you work out an arrangement with someone who is currently offering them and become a re-seller of their tunes for the time being, as you can at least make some sales that way.

Up to you.

Good Luck

comnrailpwr
September 30th, 2015, 12:04 AM
I'm in the same boat you are catman. Until it happens I just got setup to sell another tuners tunes. Hate to do it but its better than turning people away. They say it's still on the table to be developed but being the bigger tuners don't need it, I say it is very very low priority. I just wish I knew for sure if mapping of the parameters and DTC is going to happen or not. If not I'll spend the money to get this done on my own now. I would like to not wait 3 years and still spend money to get the delete base file.

KDubya
September 30th, 2015, 01:56 AM
How is a .cax file created? Is it done within EFI Live or third party software?

DURAtotheMAX
September 30th, 2015, 02:48 AM
How is a .cax file created? Is it done within EFI Live or third party software?

third party software.... Microsoft Notepad. ;)

catman3126
September 30th, 2015, 04:26 AM
third party software.... Microsoft Notepad. ;)

And this Third party software would Be?? I have an idea and may already have it but idk.

2007 5.9
September 30th, 2015, 05:40 AM
I'm in the same boat you are catman. Until it happens I just got setup to sell another tuners tunes. Hate to do it but its better than turning people away. They say it's still on the table to be developed but being the bigger tuners don't need it, I say it is very very low priority. I just wish I knew for sure if mapping of the parameters and DTC is going to happen or not. If not I'll spend the money to get this done on my own now. I would like to not wait 3 years and still spend money to get the delete base file.

Unfortunately I think not only is it a low priority but I'll be willing to bet, it'll never happen.

The big names doing on their own now obsolves EFI from the EPA heat and places that squarely on the big boys heads...so what is the incentive to produce a file that in all likelihood would get into the public hands and redirect the EPA scrutiny back on EFI??

I've come to the realization that delete tuning 4th gens with EFI without spending a large amount of cash and time isint possible.

comnrailpwr
September 30th, 2015, 05:45 AM
Unfortunately I think not only is it a low priority but I'll be willing to bet, it'll never happen.

The big names doing on their own now obsolves EFI from the EPA heat and places that squarely on the big boys heads...so what is the incentive to produce a file that in all likelihood would get into the public hands and redirect the EPA scrutiny back on EFI??

I've come to the realization that delete tuning 4th gens with EFI without spending a large amount of cash and time isint possible.
Agree and it makes since. Coming into winter when I actually get some time I am going to dive back into this issue.

ScarabEpic22
September 30th, 2015, 06:12 AM
And this Third party software would Be?? I have an idea and may already have it but idk.

Literally that, Microsoft Notepad. A .cax file is simply a definition file that has to be populated with hex addresses, offsets, etc to expose a field within the EFILive Tune tool. It does NOT let you figure out WHERE those addresses, offsets, etc are within the code, that is what takes time, money, and knowledge.

There is a .cax file sub section in the forum on the root page.

C Murda
October 10th, 2015, 09:34 AM
is this still a "region based" problem? only US customers are unable to delete? if so has anyone found a way around that? or has EFI simply just not even added delete parameters at all for all new diesels world wide?

WyoFreeride
October 10th, 2015, 10:23 AM
Parameters are not available inside EFI for any region. Its not something you can get around, its just not there. If you want to do it yourself invest in some disassembling tools and start digging. If you get it, then you can edit externally or write a cax.

SASDakota
October 13th, 2015, 05:10 AM
A CAX file is just a definition (think translator/map). It tells EFI Live software where to look and how to handle the data you mapped based on user input.

A guy/shop would need to find this dataset and map it using external tools to EFI Live. Not an easy task.

kidturbo
October 14th, 2015, 06:46 AM
Interesting topic. Obviously greed is alive and well in the tuner community. While young computer hackers are schooling the OEM's on their own hardware systems. Suggest completely skip begging from tuners and software manufactures, and going straight to the Defcon hackers community who've recently found the auto market a new playground. The ones who handed Chrysler Fiat [along with Tesla] engineers their nuts in a bag last month. They eat this stuff up, and post how too's and source code for bragging rights.

Offer up a small bounty or prize in the car hacking forums, some 14yr old will get it done. Especially if you say someone else has it and won't share... lol

Cummins610
October 14th, 2015, 07:06 AM
Well there is a ton of incompetent/new tuners with CAX files a plenty for the 10+ trucks, something tells me no way that all these people are sourcing files alone, I can defiantly understand why this is not an issue from a business standpoint though, VIN licenses are still flying out the door..

catman3126
October 14th, 2015, 07:40 AM
If this business is going to continue to grow no one wants tunes without delete. I have to date been asked to tune "ONE" LML without deleting it. all he wanted was the throttle response and see if I could get him a little better mpg but mainly wanted better less sluggish throttle. Which I have done to mine and don't plan on deleting my 15 lml. and it makes it so much nicer to drive. I have actually bought into other tuning equipment and see a whole new market that is completely un tapped and will be putting my efforts into this and not continuing much in the Duramax and Cummins tuning. This company gives us what we need.....

GMPX
October 14th, 2015, 09:44 AM
You guys seem bitter towards us, but there is always more to the story than you might think and we still provide a product that is allow you to tune vehicles. Yes the market has changed somewhat and the way things get done but this was not driven by us or our customers, but it is definitely leaning towards the European way of doing things for a variety of reasons.

catman3126
October 14th, 2015, 10:11 AM
You guys seem bitter towards us, but there is always more to the story than you might think. Yes the market has changed somewhat and the way things get done but this was not driven by us or our customers.

We understand where you are coming from with the protecting your company, If it is so risky for EFI live to give us the parameters to delete any of the diesel's that EFI Live tune's why hasn't the EPA gone after the US based tuners building these delete tunes? and if they aren't cracking down on them what makes EFI Live think they would come after them in a foreign country? The videos being put out by users with certain US tuners may not be the dirty smoking videos that H@S and Smarty tuned vehicles were spawning but it's no secret that deleting is going on? I know for me I would be able to be a much better "reseller" if I could even keep in the competition with other reseller's Let alone keep up with them. As it stands right now tuning for me has dwindled due to not be able to offer what I used too. at some point if I don't keep up with the competition then I'll be out with the new reseller agreement where I need to sell 5 V2's per year to stay "bought in" As far As I know I have not had anyone goto another tuner after using my tunes and have well over a 150 vehicles tuned. (which I know is not a lot compared to others) but I get asked weekly when I will be offering what the other tuners are because word of mouth business has got me to the point where customers want to use my services. I'm not bitter it is your company to do with as you please. Also if this "Pro tuning" is going to be the answer to what I need I would like to know more about it but have not gotten much Info except for what I got from Guy explaining why Efi Live was going to it and also Cindy saying it is still in development.

GMPX
October 14th, 2015, 11:32 AM
We understand where you are coming from with the protecting your company, If it is so risky for EFI live to give us the parameters to delete any of the diesel's that EFI Live tune's
'Risky', more like commercial suicide. :shock:

why hasn't the EPA gone after the US based tuners building these delete tunes?
I don't know, maybe they will at some point, look back over the last 5 years and see what has gone down already.
We are under no illusions that EFILive not offering emission defeat parameters is going to stop people achieving what they want to do, they will just look elsewhere for a solution and that is a hard pill to swallow for us I can assure you.
What about GM, stopping the shipping of the new Diesel Colorado.....
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/09/chevy-colorado-diesel-under-the-epa-s-microscope.html

Also if this "Pro tuning" is going to be the answer to what I need I would like to know more about it but have not gotten much Info except for what I got from Guy explaining why Efi Live was going to it and also Cindy saying it is still in development.
No, 'Pro Tuning' isn't going to open up any emissions defeat options for US based tuners, that was never its intention. The 'Pro Tuning' was more about allowing people to bypass many of the safety and sanity checks in the software, in other words we will let you brick ECM's and it is not our fault :hihi:

catman3126
October 14th, 2015, 11:49 AM
I get it, you see a different side of the business then I do and I'm sure have plenty of legal advice to aid in your decisions as you should in your situation.

As for the Colorado, I have no doubt we are going to see some US motor vehicles that have done the same thing. I see a certain model of vehicle in my shop on occasion and these have never been deleted and yet the tailpipe or exhaust tip'(S) if you get my drift are as black as a deleted diesel or old non emissions diesel and yet have all their equipment intact. So I can just imagine that this could be the next one to get busted for these emissions defeat factory tuning in place. I'm willing to bet the EPA is going to be testing many more US diesels as new models come out or the ones that are already out. Glad I shouldn't need to buy pro tuning as I haven't found much that isn't in the tuning now that I can't achieve the desired results with. Do manufacturers do "On road" testing to ensure they are meeting epa levels? I hope so or at the least the Colorado doesn't have any defeat tuning in it. that would not be pretty. if the first two (VW and GM) tested are doing defeat tuning then I'd bet every diesel is going to get tested.

catman3126
October 14th, 2015, 11:50 AM
I bet the gm vehicle passes..... I have faith lol. plus I kinda want one.

GMPX
October 14th, 2015, 12:06 PM
I bet the gm vehicle passes..... I have faith lol. plus I kinda want one.
The engine is a pretty new design and meets Euro5 as it is, so with GM's emissions additions for the US market I think it'll be fine too. From GM's perspective I totally understand it is far better to delay the release and have all ducks in a row than have to do a recall and get fined by the EPA, or sued by customers claiming stress and pain from their truck not being what they thought it was :lookaround:

http://www.vmmotori.com/a-428-dohc/automotive-en/4-cilindri/a-428-dohcen.html

Cheers,
Ross

kidturbo
October 14th, 2015, 05:48 PM
Ross, EFIlive has been top shelf software since day one. It's standard options gives it that edge over competitors. But I have to agree that as of lately, this skittish approach to allowing user full access to it's programming potential is kinda lame. Truth be told, according US rules, "any" changes made to ECU calibrations in on road vehicles not certified by the EPA are a direct violation. Pretty simple language, been in there forever, just never enforced outside California. So ultimately everything falls back on the person making such changes. Unless your an easily scared off US corp that runs from an easy fight that is... Then your business ultimately moves to the guy who isn't. Correct?

That said, it's a big world out there where rules vary greatly from country to country. Even here in the states, the marine industry is running exact same engines above and not bound by those same on-road restrictions. I'm one of your customers in that side of this. Giving users the power to modify ECU parameters in no way promotes illegal activities. No more than TOR software promotes breaking into secure computer networks.. Especially when you have halve dozen warnings poppig up explaining the legalities. Gotta be able to read to use the software. The due diligence is well covered. So please keep up the good work in advancing ECU development, or someone else will just step up to take over the duties.

Cheers,

-K

catman3126
October 14th, 2015, 06:36 PM
See this is what I've been wondering all along just because you guys have given us the parameters to do what we want to keep your sales up and to keep the business going doesn't mean that you're the ones responsible for the people that are actually doing the deleting in the tuning I cannot honestly see how this is any different then a gun manufacturer giving us the tool to commit a crime or to commit a murder but they are never held responsible for the crime. It's not like EFI Love is holding a gun to our head or making US tuners sign a contract saying that we "will perform" deletes on US vehicles if we use your software and say "you will" perform deletes on US-based vehicles with emissions controls in tact,

So make us tuners and resellers sign a form saying you are not held responsible for how we use this tuning tool and give us the parameters that we want and that's it I just don't see how EFI Live can be held responsible.

If our legal system has not found out a way to sue a gun manufacturer for the school shootings that have happened I cannot possibly see how they could find a way to hold you responsible for how we use your tuning product with the parameters you've given us .

johnyb59
October 15th, 2015, 12:40 AM
Tell that to H&S

catman3126
October 15th, 2015, 01:10 AM
Tell that to H&S

Did H@S ever get fined? I see they are still in business and hmmm I wonder where these "New" mini maxx and XRT's keep coming from. They are in business still in texas but now selling their line of performance parts, but with them it was them selling and building the delete tuners. They were building the tuners and the tunes. Efi live is not building the tuners with tunes on them, V2's and Autocal's are blank when we get them. Yes I agree it would be the tune builder that is the one that is choosing to use the tool to perform the delete and that that could be held responsible and even at that they still aren't the ones physically tampering with or altering the actual emissions equipment on said vehicle and using it on a public road.

anarchydiesel
October 15th, 2015, 06:38 AM
H&S got fined $1,000,000 by CARB, they have yet to settle with the EPA. H&S motorsports is actually a different company than H&S performance even though they share the same building in Utah. These "new" minimaxx tuners are hacked bullydog GT units with old H&S firmware. H&S performance is truly out of the tuning game.

Road
October 15th, 2015, 07:38 AM
My understanding is H&S is being sued by General Motors also for using Tis for their base files.

anarchydiesel
October 15th, 2015, 09:39 AM
such things are better off not said on public forum. Anyone (yourself included) should understand those risks and consequences before proceeding to offer such a service. Not just on 4th gen 6.7, but on any platform. To say that one is not worried would be idiocy, having a good legal team is a must. If it makes you feel any better, no one has been given preferential treatment by EFILive. The tools that are used to add user defined data have been in place long before cummins tuning was around. Everyone is lucky that EFILive did not take the route of HP tuners in regards to what is allowed to be edited by the end users on platforms supported before the current legislation went into effect.

catman3126
October 15th, 2015, 10:30 AM
such things are better off not said on public forum. Anyone (yourself included) should understand those risks and consequences before proceeding to offer such a service. Not just on 4th gen 6.7, but on any platform. To say that one is not worried would be idiocy, having a good legal team is a must. If it makes you feel any better, no one has been given preferential treatment by EFILive. The tools that are used to add user defined data have been in place long before cummins tuning was around. Everyone is lucky that EFILive did not take the route of HP tuners in regards to what is allowed to be edited by the end users on platforms supported before the current legislation went into effect.

Edited that last one sorry about that.

GMPX
October 15th, 2015, 10:51 AM
See this is what I've been wondering all along just because you guys have given us the parameters to do what we want to keep your sales up and to keep the business going doesn't mean that you're the ones responsible for the people that are actually doing the deleting in the tuning I cannot honestly see how this is any different then a gun manufacturer giving us the tool to commit a crime or to commit a murder but they are never held responsible for the crime. It's not like EFI Love is holding a gun to our head or making US tuners sign a contract saying that we "will perform" deletes on US vehicles if we use your software and say "you will" perform deletes on US-based vehicles with emissions controls in tact
You live in a country where people sue for coffee being served too hot, Subway being sued because the foot long is only 11 inches, a customer suing a Bob Evan’s restaurant for compensatory and punitive damages for being called an idiot by a waitress (these are all true cases). Common sense and logic don't apply to any of what you said unfortunately.

H&S got fined $1,000,000 by CARB, they have yet to settle with the EPA. H&S motorsports is actually a different company than H&S performance even though they share the same building in Utah. These "new" minimaxx tuners are hacked bullydog GT units with old H&S firmware. H&S performance is truly out of the tuning game.
I feel a bit sorry for those guys, they were certainly on top of the game with hand held tuning product development at the time. But we all remember the YouTube LML video that caused a stir and probably led to their downfall :shock:

My understanding is H&S is being sued by General Motors also for using Tis for their base files.
I've not heard that but I can't see how that can be proven when Alientech KTAG is the device used to get the tunes out of the ECM's.

If it makes you feel any better, no one has been given preferential treatment by EFILive. The tools that are used to add user defined data have been in place long before cummins tuning was around. Everyone is lucky that EFILive did not take the route of HP tuners in regards to what is allowed to be edited by the end users on platforms supported before the current legislation went into effect.
That is right, we've given users the ability to build on the available maps pretty much after we moved on from just an LS1 tuner. Right now we choose not to include any obvious 'naughty' parameters for all late model Diesels. Blind Freddy can see that doing so would be commercial suicide in this day and age, it is not 2005 any more, we've had to accept the landscape of Diesel tuning has changed, many tuners have now done the same to protect themselves and won't do any emissions defeat tunes.

catman3126
October 18th, 2015, 01:39 PM
[QUOTE=GMPX;223463]You live in a country where people sue for coffee being served too hot, Subway being sued because the foot long is only 11 inches, a customer suing a Bob Evan’s restaurant for compensatory and punitive damages for being called an idiot by a waitress (these are all true cases). Common sense and logic don't apply to any of what you said unfortunately.

Oh I know how messed up our legal system can be. But did you see the burns on that lady. it was actually pretty severe and they coffee was almost 200deg. well there is always another way to make money. I have not had anyone come to me in a couple months now for tuning on anything older then 09' on the Cummins side. with emissions on it so since you have all the Cummins and Duramax and Colorado updates out what is the chance that you could look into the 03-05 cummins stuff. kinda surprising how much I get asked about those still. the thing with those years is that younger generations are able to afford them now and we all know what kids like to do to their diesels so there is still a market for them too.

kidturbo
October 19th, 2015, 09:57 AM
You live in a country where people sue for coffee being served too hot, Subway being sued because the foot long is only 11 inches, a customer suing a Bob Evan’s restaurant for compensatory and punitive damages for being called an idiot by a waitress (these are all true cases). Common sense and logic don't apply to any of what you said unfortunately.

Planning on moving to the states anytime soon? If so bring that Holden, those are outlawed over here too... lol

If not, proudly raise a flag and use location to your advantage. I had similar discussion about geographic law with Sean Parker over a decade back while living and working in India. Napster (remember them) was being sued out of existance. I said "Sean move those seed severs over here in Asia were a little USD out weights all US copyrights." But he had investors and a board to answer too. We all know how that one played out... Bit Torrent became popular within the year.

Always someone else willing and waiting. Today most of them live in Russia, India or China. And they just haven't stumbled into this niche market yet.

Just Saying :secret:

GMPX
October 19th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Planning on moving to the states anytime soon? If so bring that Holden, those are outlawed over here too... lol
'Real' Holden's will be dead after 2017 :bawl:

If not, proudly raise a flag and use location to your advantage.
Read up on kim dotcom , a great example.

catman3126
October 27th, 2015, 11:52 AM
Care to share which tuning equipment out there EFI live can import the tunes from? since we have that option import files. What files from what equipment will work?

Dmaxink
October 27th, 2015, 04:24 PM
Care to share which tuning equipment out there EFI live can import the tunes from? since we have that option import files. What files from what equipment will work?

Any hex editor. I prefer patching the files in hex workshop to prep the bin for import to efi.

catman3126
October 27th, 2015, 04:40 PM
Any hex editor. I prefer patching the files in hex workshop to prep the bin for import to efi.

So now what did you use to get all the LML and cummins tunes?

Dmaxink
October 27th, 2015, 04:52 PM
So now what did you use to get all the LML and cummins tunes?

The cummins tunes are posted on troll performance FB page somewhere... The duramax tunes- we sell those off our site... We now offer the cummins tunes as well, but they can be found free off the troll page.

catman3126
October 27th, 2015, 04:54 PM
I know this Kory lol.. I want to do this all myself. Not pay someone. I don't blame you for not posting it.

cindy@efilive
October 28th, 2015, 01:01 PM
Refer to this post. https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?22630-Fls-Mpc-Epr-files

Cheers
Cindy

evildiesel
November 22nd, 2015, 06:17 AM
Any further info on this?

cindy@efilive
November 23rd, 2015, 03:11 PM
Any further info on this?

Delete parameters will not be available for North American based customers unless there is legislative change.

The lack of requests from customers based in other locations places development for these parameters much further down the development line.

It's been stated in this thread that deletes are not being done with EFILive software.

Cheers
Cindy

WyoFreeride
November 23rd, 2015, 03:59 PM
My biggest holdup on making the switch on several trucks is lack of trans tuning for the 68rfe. I'm convinced they wont hold up to anything more than a mild tow tune without trans parameters to adjust. I think the other part could be handled with some external hardware possibly but havent tried because of the trans issue.

SASDakota
November 24th, 2015, 07:06 AM
I have a handful of guys who want to jump to EFI but I have convinced them to stay with the current custom tuning w/ trans parameters for the very same reason. Some of them are on built trans, would be pointless to return to the stock ~165psi.

2007 5.9
November 24th, 2015, 09:19 AM
You can run 3rd party trans tuning along with tuning efi for engine tuning...pretty easy and many do

SASDakota
November 24th, 2015, 09:41 AM
We are talking about 4th gen rams. That trick doesn't work.

Road
November 24th, 2015, 09:47 AM
Using a couple different 3rd party tuning software just to distribute EFI tunes doesn't seem profitable to me. And using a hacked software to do it? Seems like software theft to me.

SASDakota
November 24th, 2015, 10:15 AM
Road, Is that in regards to what Les and myself were just talking about?

Road
November 24th, 2015, 11:13 AM
I wasn't pointing no finger at anyone. Its obvious that there is autocal's being sold with 4th generation tuning that is not supported with Efi. And its obvious what software is offering trans tuning etc... Then again its obvious those files are being imported into efi and being distributed with efi. Tuners are asking how is this possible with efi when is clearly not supported. No It was not in regards to what you and Les was talking about but was in regards to the topic in general. Tuners are being asked by customers for a tuning service (trans tuning) that is not supported with Efi but it is being offered and distributed with Efi by other tuners and it like we offer the import function but its up to you to figure out all the 3rd party tools required to make it happens. It just appears to be some catering to a select few and top secret info as to how it works.

Respectfully
Mike

GMPX
November 24th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Mike that isn't quite the case, no files are being imported in to EFILive from other tuning packages (though we can import Alientech files for the LML). These Cummins tuners are creating their own .cax file (Calibration Extension file) from information they have gained elsewhere that is loaded on top of what EFILive offers. We have nothing to do with what they add and in fact this system was developed many years ago for GM gas vehicles, it is not Cummins specific.
Think of it like an app that you would install on your phone, the app (or .cax in this case) is written by a 3rd party company but still used on your phone. They could sell you the .cax and you too would have the trans info, but I don't think anyone would be willing to do that, nor tell you how they figured out the transmission functions.
I can assure you there is no secret behind the scenes special treatment going on from EFILive, if we knew how the transmission worked we would add in the parameters for everyone which of course means we have also been left in the dark.

Road
November 24th, 2015, 03:05 PM
So if nothing is being imported into efi how are the stock base Cummins tune file transposed into Efi live format? I thought it was ironic that another tuning software is offering pretty much the same 68RFE tuning but doesn't have the resources to distribute them. Thanks for the info I don't feel so left out now knowing I am not the only one left in the dark.

Mike

GMPX
November 24th, 2015, 04:37 PM
As for how tuners are obtaining open base files (eg, not .ctz files) I guess there is a secret underworld thriving and also information sharing on the trans as well.

Road
November 25th, 2015, 02:46 AM
As for how tuners are obtaining open base files (eg, not .ctz files) I guess there is a secret underworld thriving and also information sharing on the trans as well.
I respect the amount of hard work that everyone puts in for us to be able to offer the best for our customer's. Grateful for what we have!

Happy Holidays
Mike

minytrker
November 25th, 2015, 05:10 AM

There are a few very smart people out there doing some pretty impressive things in tuning (not normal tables in efi live) not only in ecm, but BCM's and other modules being done BUT unfortunately its very secretive and no one is willing to share any information. I luckly know a couple of the people doing it and can get things done but still dont have any idea how they do it.

2013_Cummins
February 12th, 2016, 05:41 AM
After the research I have done. I have figured out how these companies are doing deletes. I do not have the resources to do it myself and am limited in the knowledge but I do know how it is done. I will not disclose how it is done here on the forums. If you are curious about how it is done and would like to know we will need to discuss it off forum.

2007 5.9
February 12th, 2016, 05:49 AM
After the research I have done. I have figured out how these companies are doing deletes. I do not have the resources to do it myself and am limited in the knowledge but I do know how it is done. I will not disclose how it is done here on the forums. If you are curious about how it is done and would like to know we will need to discuss it off forum.

Its no secret how its being done...same way the gas guys import files to their calibrations to get what they need.

2013_Cummins
February 12th, 2016, 05:52 AM
Its no secret how its being done...same way the gas guys import files to their calibrations to get what they need.

Yes but if the person does not know how the Gas Guys do it. They are not going to understand how the Diesel Guys do it.

Road
February 12th, 2016, 07:10 AM
Yes but if the person does not know how the Gas Guys do it. They are not going to understand how the Diesel Guys do it.
The gas guys are importing their's differently.

2013_Cummins
February 12th, 2016, 07:13 AM
The gas guys are importing their's differently.

Thank You for that information. I am not up to date on efi live and the gas stuff.

2007 5.9
February 12th, 2016, 10:19 AM
Hex and cax

Dmaxink
February 15th, 2016, 03:22 AM

No huge secret, I actually stated it in a podcast...

1.) obtain binary

2.) size it to fit efi or use their import tools

3.) do some research and find locations of bits that needs to be manipulated

4.) import file to efi and use efi checksum corrections.

Now everyone can party!

anarchydiesel
February 15th, 2016, 04:28 AM
Kory you make it sound so simple, lol.....

Dmaxink
February 15th, 2016, 04:28 AM

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji85]

GMPX
February 15th, 2016, 11:12 AM

Yeah, pretty much like saying "going for a little climb to the top of Everest".

minytrker
February 15th, 2016, 01:35 PM

LMAO....thats was a good one...lol

joecar
February 15th, 2016, 02:43 PM
lol.

Dmaxink
February 15th, 2016, 03:47 PM

Hahahahahahahahaha

joecar
February 15th, 2016, 04:48 PM
lol, a stroll to the summit.

Snipesy
February 15th, 2016, 06:45 PM
3.) do some research and find locations of bits that needs to be manipulated

See now the issue is when there is no research to well... Research.

It's possible to find many things on precedence alone. Which is what I have done with the Cruze and is publicly available cause I am so nice. I have stuff for the Duramax as well, but you can't have those. :laugh:

https://github.com/Snipesy/Cruze/blob/master/12662377.cax

And that is the result of a lot of research, some testing, and lots of crossing with EFI Live to make sure things are sane. And I still have no idea how one might manage a delete. Through an act of god I managed to figure out how all the diagnostics work, and a few other things. I doubt it's enough to make a delete though.

Of course that is GM. Cummins does things a bit differently and isn't quite as nasty as Bosch is.