PDA

View Full Version : Custom OS#5

Pages : 1 [2]

joecar
November 16th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Just upgraded to COS#5 and used TPS VE Table,What a difference in throttle response:grin: Didn't go for a test ride yet...............PaulPaul, remind us what motor/mods you have...:rockon:

driver456
November 17th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Paul, remind us what motor/mods you have...:rockon:

97 C5 with a 427 n/a heads,cam,TSP giant cam,fast 90/90:grin:................Paul

Kurtomac
April 27th, 2009, 02:38 PM
so...goin to change to either cos3 or cos5...earlier in this thread sounded like Fbody cable driven tbody were the only cars that could accept cos5....now 1 of the 2 OS that accept it is the 12212156 OS....which came stock in a 02 vette manual and auto...i have a 02Z06 with the xxx588 OS....wont have any problems copying tables from my Z OS to this 2156OS then to a COS5 flash in my cars computer via OS flash then a cal flash only with my data in the 2156 OS?

joecar
April 27th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I believe the 2002 M6 Corvette 12212156 file is ETC, you should be ok.

joecar
April 27th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Be sure to read post #243 above: showpost.php?p=67875&postcount=243 (http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=67875&postcount=243)

GMPX
April 28th, 2009, 01:15 AM
One of the issues we are faced with is we had planned on rewriting (and maybe simplifying) the custom OS's for the GenIII PCM's from 98 - 08.
There is a number of technical issues with the later PCM's, the first and major problem is there is no room left in the calibrations area of the PCM, so we would need to move any additional tables we add out to another section of the PCM's flash memory, this unfortunately means a full reflash anytime you wanted to make a change.
That means a much higher risk of a doorstop PCM and a reflash time of about 3mins, not 30 seconds per change.
I think I have come up with a system that can work, but we don't want to try to implement it in the Version 7 software as it will require a lot of changes to the core of the program, something we don't want to do when it is going to be phased out this year.

Cheers,
Ross

BowlingSS
June 23rd, 2009, 08:39 AM
I think I have come up with a system that can work, but we don't want to try to implement it in the Version 7 software as it will require a lot of changes to the core of the program, something we don't want to do when it is going to be phased out this year.

Cheers,
Ross

I am still using V1 with 7.5.5 and COS5. Will I have to upgrade to V2 or can I still use 8.0 software with V1? I am going to be layed off in a week or two and need to save my money.
Thanks.
Bill
:cheers:

joecar
June 23rd, 2009, 09:04 AM
I am still using V1 with 7.5.5 and COS5. Will I have to upgrade to V2 or can I still use 8.0 software with V1? I am going to be layed off in a week or two and need to save my money.
Thanks.
Bill
:cheers:Bill,

The current V7.5.x software works with V1 (which already does BBL from the V7.5.x software);

The current V8.x software is for doing BBL with V2 (currently beta testing)...

In the future the V8.x software will eventually include everything (scantool, tunetool, BBL, BBF) and will replace V7.x software for V2.

V7.x software will continue to support V1.

i.e. you can run the latest V7.5 software on your V1... you don't really need V2 unless you're flashing an ECM that is not supported by V1...
when the eventual all-inclusive V8 software comes along, you will be able to run that on your V1.
Correction: see post #265 below (V7 will always be available).

Too bad about your job, hope you can find work somewhere.

Cheers
Joe
:^)

98 tigershark
August 25th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Does that mean the 98 OS 19980200 will work with that? Is that a miss print. I hope not. Anyway, is that the case that V8 will replace 7.XXX and work with the V1. I do not have the V2. I really like the computer and am looking at the newest small windows based PC's with 9 and 10 inch screens (they are down to around $300.00) to build into my dash were the stereo is and be able to use EFILive and the iPod setup too with a pad and keyboard were the compartment in between the seats are. With V1 this winter along with the 98 to 02 PCM conversion. Nothing fancy though as it seems really straight forward but very time consuming.
Please let me know as winter grows near as does the snow (a little over 2 1/2 months).
98 tigershark

ScarabEpic22
August 25th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Are you asking if the V8 software will work with a V1? It will completely replace the V7.5 Tuning and Scan programs. For your future carputer and iPod integration setup, honestly you will not need a V2 as your V1 can BBL a little and the rest can be done in passthru mode straight into the V8 scan program.

Ive heard the 98-02 PCM swap takes a weekend to do especially copying all the tables over in EFILive but is so worth it.

BowlingSS
August 26th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Bill,

The current V7.5.x software works with V1 (which already does BBL from the V7.5.x software);

The current V8.x software is for doing BBL with V2 (currently beta testing)...

In the future the V8.x software will eventually include everything (scantool, tunetool, BBL, BBF (V2 only)) and will replace V7.x software.

V7.x software will continue to support V1.

i.e. you can run the latest V7.5 software on your V1... you don't really need V2 unless you're flashing an ECM that is not supported by V1... when the eventual all-inclusive V8 software comes along, you will be able to run that on your V1.
Correction: see post #265 below (V7 will always be available).

Too bad about your job, hope you can find work somewhere.

Cheers
Joe
:^)

Thanks for the info. I am now out of work but I am talking to a headhunter about a job with YearOne. That would be a cool job.

Bill
:grin:

joecar
August 26th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Does that mean the 98 OS 19980200 will work with that? Is that a miss print. I hope not. Anyway, is that the case that V8 will replace 7.XXX and work with the V1. I do not have the V2.... TS,

Correction:
V1 will not be supported by software V8.
V1 will continue to be supported by V7 software (see post #265 below).

19980200 will continue to be supported by both V1 and V2.

You will still be able to use your V1 to flash your 1998, and to convert it to a 2002 or COS as you said...

V2 is required only if you have a vehicle with a newer PCM (e.g. E38, E40, E67).

FlashScan V1 will continue to be supported by software V7 (which will continue to be available indefinitely).

FlashScan V2 will in future be supported by software V8.

joecar
August 26th, 2009, 02:37 AM
Thanks for the info. I am now out of work but I am talking to a headhunter about a job with YearOne. That would be a cool job.

Bill
:grin:Cool...:cheers:...let us know how you go.

98 tigershark
August 26th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Thanks Guys,
That answered my question very well. I am looking into the small computer setup so that is great news and I hope that i will be able to do that money wise. I think that would be cool to have EFILive right there all the time in your dash board so thanks as we get allot of snow where I live and winters are long so I will soon have allot of time to plan it out. Did I ever tell you guys we used to walk 6 miles to school up hill both ways with only tennis shoes and no socks (we did have clothes of course) in 6 feet of snow? My youngest kids are all back in school now, today was the youngest ones first day as a senior in high school. I have been a member of this forum since 2006 and LS1 edit since 2004. Where does the time go?
98 tigershark

joecar
August 27th, 2009, 03:31 AM
V1 will not be supported in the V8 software.
Too much functionality has been offloaded from the PC into FlashScan V2 that V1 does not and cannot implement.

V1 will continued to be supported on V7 and V7 will be supported (i.e. bug fixes) for 12 months after V8 goes live. The V7 software will continue to be available indefinitely.
FlashScan V1 will continue to be supported by software V7 (which will continue to be available indefinitely).

FlashScan V2 will in future be supported by software V8.

So if you have FlashScan V1, you will still be able to do BBL and to flash in a different OS or COS.

:)

poolshark021
August 27th, 2009, 03:52 AM
So if you have FlashScan V1, you will still be able to do BBL and to flash in a different OS or COS.

Now your really getting confusing! V1 can not do BBL... it will always need a laptop hooked up to log.

joecar
August 27th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Now your really getting confusing! V1 can not do BBL... it will always need a laptop hooked up to log.V1 cartainly can do BBL (i.e. it can log without a laptop connected)... :)

Follow these steps:
- using PC/laptop program the pids you want to log,
- remove V1 from PC/laptop and take V1 to car,
- log from car (while PC/laptop stays home),
- remove V1 from car and take it to your PC/laptop,
- upload the saved log(s) and view in scantool.

From the V7 scantool see these menu commands:
FlashScan->Program Selected PIDs Into FlashScan
FlashScan->Read Logged Data From FlashScan

In those 2 commands, "FlashScan" refers to FlashScan V1.

poolshark021
August 27th, 2009, 04:08 AM
V1 cartainly can do BBL (i.e. it can log without a laptop connected)... :)

Follow these steps:
- using PC/laptop program the pids you want to log,
- remove V1 from PC/laptop and take V1 to car,
- log from car (while PC/laptop stays home),
- remove V1 from car and take it to your PC/laptop,
- upload the saved log(s) and view in scantool.

From the V7 scantool see these menu commands:
FlashScan->Program Selected PIDs Into FlashScan
FlashScan->Read Logged Data From FlashScan

In those 2 commands, "FlashScan" refers to FlashScan V1.

Well don't I feel like a fool! Sorry to spread incorect information. BBL is a big reason why I bought a V2, I didn't think the V1 could do it. Thanks for the correction!

joecar
August 27th, 2009, 04:13 AM
V1 BBL:
- single pid list (you program this in while connected to laptop).
- 23 minutes worth of log (in Fast 10 mode).

V2 BBL:
- multiple pid lists (you select which pid list you want to log).
- number/length of logs limited only by SD card size.
- able to read OBD-II diagnostics information (DTCs, modes 2,3,4,5,6,7,9).

JezzaB
August 31st, 2009, 10:56 PM
Still no NOS stuff for the 1mb PCM guys? eg 04140005

Jez

brokenfly
September 12th, 2009, 04:52 AM
page #28...

Still no NOS stuff for the 1mb PCM guys? eg 04140005

Jez

nope...a couple of us have been wishing for that some time now...

1mb gto pcm here...

:fluffy::fluffy::fluffy:

Frost
April 24th, 2010, 05:04 PM
page #28...

nope...a couple of us have been wishing for that some time now...

1mb gto pcm here...

:fluffy::fluffy::fluffy:

Old thread I know but...

You can build a small device with a relay that goes in line with your IAT sensor. It's NC contacts pass the normal IAT signal through to the PCM but when on, it replaces the IAT with a fixed value resistor (or resistors). You can use this to force the IAT sensor to some fixed value that is very low when nitrous is active. In turn, goto the IAT-VE spark modifier table and subtract timing in the corresponding temp and WOT area. There is an IAT PE modifier that works in that OS as well, so you have some rudimentary WOT fuel control with this as well. It's not as powerful or flexible, but it works. I have a few cars that spray between 250 and 325 (DP) that use these.

JezzaB
April 24th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Old thread I know but...

You can build a small device with a relay that goes in line with your IAT sensor. It's NC contacts pass the normal IAT signal through to the PCM but when on, it replaces the IAT with a fixed value resistor (or resistors). You can use this to force the IAT sensor to some fixed value that is very low when nitrous is active. In turn, goto the IAT-VE spark modifier table and subtract timing in the corresponding temp and WOT area. There is an IAT PE modifier that works in that OS as well, so you have some rudimentary WOT fuel control with this as well. It's not as powerful or flexible, but it works. I have a few cars that spray between 250 and 325 (DP) that use these.

Or just point the fogger at the IAT sensor. Works a treat.

Be nice to have the correct tables though

ScarabEpic22
April 24th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Or wire a simple relay/switch to the IAT sensor, leave it on when not using N2O and when you ground the relay have it ground the IAT sensor so the PCM/ECM sees the default value for the IAT tables. Pull spark based on the IAT table.

It would be nice to have the correct tables, but at least you dont have to buy an external box or anything to reduce timing!

Frost
April 25th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Or wire a simple relay/switch to the IAT sensor, leave it on when not using N2O and when you ground the relay have it ground the IAT sensor so the PCM/ECM sees the default value for the IAT tables. Pull spark based on the IAT table.

It would be nice to have the correct tables, but at least you dont have to buy an external box or anything to reduce timing!

In that case you don't even need to ground the input, just use the NC contacts to open the IAT circuit when active and it will default to min value. The reason I use a resistor rather than this method is that the car goes into OL if the value falls that far and some folks want it active with the system just armed. If the car been sitting in the lanes and the IAT is heatsoaked, your part throttle could be lean without closed loop for the duration of burnout and just after.

Just some thoughts...

ScarabEpic22
April 25th, 2010, 08:29 AM
In that case you don't even need to ground the input, just use the NC contacts to open the IAT circuit when active and it will default to min value. The reason I use a resistor rather than this method is that the car goes into OL if the value falls that far and some folks want it active with the system just armed. If the car been sitting in the lanes and the IAT is heatsoaked, your part throttle could be lean without closed loop for the duration of burnout and just after.

Just some thoughts...

Very good point, Ive never actually done it before just relaying information others have posted up online saying it works.

Interesting, it could drop into OL? In theory that makes sense, if IATs are that low it means ambient temps are really low and the PCM should dump fuel.

Ah, IAT heatsoak. Tell me about it, its bad on my 02 I6 but the SS is miserable. Watch IATs spike 20F+ sitting at a light, not good for launching.

Frost
April 26th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Off topic [heat soak] I know...

I have a supercharged car right now with his IAT after twin meth nozzles but it's right behind his second hi-speed fan. It's so ridiculous there that I logged 150deg IATs at restart after a 5 minute sit time and have seen IATs of 165 at restart on 90deg days. Slow traffic in 80 deg weather = 120 + degF in no time. It may not be the best approach, but the car now has 2 IATs... One in the nose seeing outside air and the second one is still after the meth nozzles near the throttle body. At 1psi his hobbs switch that turns on the second Walbro now also turns on a relay that switches the IAT in the nose over to the IAT in the intake tract after the methanol nozzles. Hot start and cruise fueling is very stable. In most all cases, some afterstart enrichment work with IAT/ECT adders can cover up the lean spot the false IAT creates until closed loop. I don't yet know what these tables are called in EFILive.

5.7ute
April 26th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Interesting method Frost.:cheers:
When logging, how long does it take for the logged IAT to change with this method? (It may give us an idea on the iat filtering)

Frost
April 26th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Interesting method Frost.:cheers:
When logging, how long does it take for the logged IAT to change with this method? (It may give us an idea on the iat filtering)

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. Are you asking about using two and the switching, or just how long a generally heat soaked IAT takes to straighten itself out?

5.7ute
April 26th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Using the two & switching while logging dynamic air temp. Since this is what the pcm uses for airmass estimation.

ScarabEpic22
April 26th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Thats an interesting way to do it, I like it though. You might get some false KR and spark being pulled when its using the outer IAT and the air is much hotter than the PCM is actually reporting.

I want to get a Maggie on my SS, hopefully I can afford it some day.

Frost
April 27th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Using the two & switching while logging dynamic air temp. Since this is what the pcm uses for airmass estimation.

I haven't looked at that on the car. I haven't had enough time with it yet, I actually have some more tests and data to collect. This customer is one of my few 'sponsored' customers. His cost is that I tinker with things on his setup :hihi:

Thats an interesting way to do it, I like it though. You might get some false KR and spark being pulled when its using the outer IAT and the air is much hotter than the PCM is actually reporting.

I want to get a Maggie on my SS, hopefully I can afford it some day.

Precursory logging showed that when the IAT was not heat soaked, (high way cruise, etc) that when compared with the unit in the nose, only showed about 3-4 deg F difference. By two psi the methanol is on and the heat soaked sensor is reading lower than ambient. With two meth nozzles pouring it in (and the IC working well) the IATs just get back to ambient after about 3-4 gears put together at WOT anyway. Because of this, the transition back to the sensor in the nose is smooth and uneventful.

brokenfly
May 12th, 2010, 08:36 PM
i use the iat on a relay method...it works okay...pulls timing only on spray,leaves my motor tune unaffected,and even allows me room to tweak afr by adding or subtracting fuel for those pesky in between jet sizes...

i use my 2 stage window's switch first stage to control the n2o solenoid,and the second stage to bring the fuel solenoid in 100 rpm's sooner to curb the dreaded lean spike a little...

the only bug in the drink is an occasional delay shown in the logging when the iat trips and when the actual rpms spike from the nitrous activating...

doesn't happen but maybe every 4-5 passes...
i think i need a relay that has a quicker coil for the low voltage or amps the iat sensor lives on...

BRD-PREY
June 1st, 2010, 06:24 AM
Id like to know if this is possible as well.

Can COS5 be used to add timing when PCM pin #56 is grounded instead of pulling timing for the Nitrous?

Id like to add timing when the pin is grounded for my methanol system and then go back to normal spark timing without the meth.

joecar
June 1st, 2010, 10:34 AM
Looks to me like it can't do that... the range of timing to pull is 0-20 degrees (i.e. not negative).

BRD-PREY
June 1st, 2010, 10:52 AM
If its a multiplier if the field was set to accept it wouldn't a .90 or .87 work?
Ed

L31Sleeper
June 29th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Where is the COS5 Tutorial ??

GAMEOVER
June 29th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Where is the COS5 Tutorial ??

There is none. Only a long, long, long thread...:shock:
Here:http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?2599-Custom-OS-5

L31Sleeper
June 29th, 2010, 04:10 PM
:cucumber:

joecar
June 29th, 2010, 08:17 PM
See posts 243, 244, 246 of this thread.

TFZ_Z06
August 23rd, 2010, 04:51 PM
Is there any easy way to move all my current tuning params from 12221588 to 12212156? I've have been away from the site for a while. Looking forward to tweaking a little on the car by playing with the TPS vs RPM VE function in COS5.

5.7ute
August 23rd, 2010, 05:06 PM
Unfortunately not.
You would need to start with a similar 12212156 file, as in a stock m6 or auto file depending on your trans. Then open both files seperately & copy/paste all the parameters over. Make sure it runs correctly then do the COS upgrade.
When V8 comes out this will be rectified, but until then you are stuck with this method.

joecar
August 23rd, 2010, 05:22 PM
What 5.7ute said...

use copy-with-labels and paste-with-labels as this helps the align the rows/cols for you.

GAMEOVER
August 24th, 2010, 04:07 AM
Unfortunately not.
You would need to start with a similar 12212156 file, as in a stock m6 or auto file depending on your trans. Then open both files seperately & copy/paste all the parameters over. Make sure it runs correctly then do the COS upgrade.
When V8 comes out this will be rectified, but until then you are stuck with this method.

Any idea when V8 is coming out?

L31Sleeper
August 24th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Can you AutoVE ThrottleVE ??

5.7ute
August 24th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Can you AutoVE ThrottleVE ??
Yes.

TFZ_Z06
August 24th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Does the software expect the same units in TPS VE A0007 as it does for the MAIN VE B0101? If I'm in g*K/kPa, the default units I would put in would be the same right?
If in %, then %, etc?

Thanks...I am testing this later this week or on the weekend, so I look forward to reporting back and discussing results.

Tordne
August 24th, 2010, 04:31 PM
I would definitely use the same units for your TPS and main VE tables.

5.7ute
August 24th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Use the VETABLE_dma pid to populate the TPS VE table initially.(without the TPS VE table enabled) Enable the TPS VE table, then use the autoVE process to fine tune it. Make sure you filter according to your TPS VE table enablers.

joecar
August 24th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Use only [g*K/kPa]... set the tunetool to this.

TFZ_Z06
August 26th, 2010, 06:13 PM
What I did all using ROADRUNNER:
Wrote 02020005 as cal and operating system. There are 3 choices, read, write cal, write cal and os.
Write CAL only of file from 12212156 that I converted from original tune file.
Read CAL and OS back and saved for tuning.
Made a few changes (disabled TPS VE so I could log first) and wrote it.
Turned key on, did not start engine. All seemed normal. Fuel pump came on, needles swing, looked like a normal startup.

Ok, time to set up scanner and log COL=TP, ROW=RPM and Data: g*K/kPa to create a starter TPS VE table.
SURPRISE, when I connect w/the scanner, it ask for a vin#. I input it and then it basically eliminates most of
my logging variables, including and especially VETABLE_DMA. So, I abort and keep trying to get it to recognize the logging
params.

Now the car is stuck in reduced power mode.

Ideas?

joecar
August 27th, 2010, 10:47 PM
TFZ_Z06,

Car will not crank: is this the Z06...? Did you use a 12212156 file containing ETC...?

TFZ_Z06
August 28th, 2010, 07:24 AM
I got the car running, but for others, here are the main problems I ran in to:

Problems on Install:
Problem 1: I initially had problems w/the logging because I didn't write the VIN# using the scan tool. The scanner kept seeing
zero's as the vin# and thus no PIDS were available.
Soln: Use Scan tools BiDirectional -> Change Vin#.

Problem 2: Oil Life = 0%.
Soln: Use Scan tools BiDirectional -> Change Oil Life. I changed mine to 100%.

Problem 3: The car wouldn't initially start becaause A0008 "Open Loop ECT Commanded Fuel Multiplier" was set to 2.0. This means the commanded fuel = 2 X MAIN VE or TPS VE whichever was active, in my case main ve. The adjustment range is 0.8 to 2.0. This is VERY effective for lean/rich cold starts.

Problem 4: P1336.
Soln: joecar instructions in next post. start engine, start scanner, select DVT tab, activate target controller, select Learning, then follow instructs in next post. In my case, as soon as the engine reached 4000rpm, the pcm cut engine power (as if one had instantaneously turned the key off), then I released the throttle to idle for a few seconds, deactivated DVT option, turned off engine and waited 15 seconds. P1336 solved.

First Test:
My setup is Open Loop, Speed Density (OLSD). I logged VETABLE_DMA w/engine running on the Main VE table first (A0003 Disabled), then I when I got comfortable w/the data, I transferred the Main VE table to the TPS VE with slight starting point adjustments. To tune the TPS VE table, I set the params in COS5 to use the TPS VE table until 90 KPA, 8000 RPM,90 TP%, then went out VE tuning using the RoadRunner.

Results:
Spectacular. I just got back after driving around about 45 minutes. My impressions of the difference between this and the Main VE table are the following:

1. Light throttle is much smoother and not nearly as jerky in areas that it was before. I can drive the car around in traffic and you would never know whats under the hood. The RoadRunner makes VE tuning so fast, by the time I was on the way home, I actually starting driving in 6th gear, at 800rpm standing on the brakes trying to tune it for high gear, low rpm! I'm going to visit FFP's dyno soon and finish off the TPS VE table.

2. The engine runs crisper at light throttle positions.

3. Not sure yet about the transition from part throttle to WOT. I'll report back after thats done. Can't really do it on the street without slicks on the car.

joecar
August 28th, 2010, 07:48 AM
P1336 means the crank relearn has not been done...

In scantool goto the DVT tab, enter your PCM type (Gen III LS1 99-08), goto the Learning tab...

conditions must match those shown there (ECT, TP, VSS)...

then (read thru this before doing, this all happens in about 3 seconds or less):
- click Activate,
- click the CASE button,
- smoothly push throttle down to raise RPM to above 4500 (you have a 10 second window in which to accomplish this),
- engine will stumble for a moment, immediately release throttle when you detect this stumble,
- let engine spin down by itself to idle,
- after engine is at idle, turn off ignition and wait 15 seconds,
- while you're waiting 15 seconds, you can click Deactivate.

If the engine did not stumble then the relearn was not initiated and you have to redo it (turn engine off, turn on, and start again).

When you next turn on ignition and read DTC's, P1336 should be gone.

TurboCamaro
August 31st, 2010, 08:21 AM
I have read this thread thoroughly a few times now.
It doesn't say definitively if you can utilize COS5 to control Nitrous Timing and Fuel on an '03 Corvette Z06 as this is a drive by wire car.

TFZ_Z06
August 31st, 2010, 03:51 PM
I have read this thread thoroughly a few times now.
It doesn't say definitively if you can utilize COS5 to control Nitrous Timing and Fuel on an '03 Corvette Z06 as this is a drive by wire car.

Your OS 12593358 would require the 02040005, but only 0001, 0002, and 0003 are avail. Since your OS is actually a 2002, just use the same one I did on my 2002
Z06. 12212156 and 02020005.

For more info, see Help->Tutorials->Custom Update OS tutorial. It list the OS and the proper COS to use.

BTW, make sure your file is the OS above. If not, post up, I'm interested which you have.

TurboCamaro
September 1st, 2010, 01:30 PM
You are correct my the cars operating system is 12593358 as you suggested.
Were you able to directly flash your original cal after the full flash of COS5.
This car is a Lingenfelter deal so I don't want to lose all of their work. I would like to go in and just confirm the VE, etc is good than add the Nitrous.

joecar
September 1st, 2010, 02:09 PM
With 02020005/COS5, you can cal flash only from a 12212156 file...

i.e. you would have to copy all your tables to a 12212156 file with the same trans and throttle...

then you would full flash the copied-to 12212156 file and make sure your car runs correctly on this...

then you full flash 02020005 and then cal flash from the copied-to 12212156 file.

joecar
September 1st, 2010, 02:13 PM
12212156 is the base OS for 02020005.

If it's just COS3 that you want, the look in the COS tutorial as TFZ said above.

TFZ_Z06
September 1st, 2010, 02:30 PM
You are correct my the cars operating system is 12593358 as you suggested.
Were you able to directly flash your original cal after the full flash of COS5.
This car is a Lingenfelter deal so I don't want to lose all of their work. I would like to go in and just confirm the VE, etc is good than add the Nitrous.

No, it was not possible to directly flash my original cal. The original OS/cal for my 02Z was based on 12221588, thus would only work with 020300XX, where XX= 01, 02, 03. Of course, COS5 has the nitrous controls that are not avail in 1, 2, or 3.
You are in a similar situation w/your OS as you can only directly cal flash 12593358 using OS 020400XX. According to EFI's help tutorial, your processor pcm code/cal is really a 2002.

HOW TO MAKE YOUR 03Z WORK WITH 02020005:

1. Read and save your original Lingenfelter file.

2. Flash 02020005 to your processor using "CAL and OPERATING SYSTEM"

3. Transfer via COPY and PASTE all of your data from 12593358 to 12212156. Recommend you open two copies of EFI Tune
and just transfer as you go, using copy with labels when possible for speed and accuracy.

4. Flash CAL ONLY the 12212156 file you created via copy and paste.

6. Read back the file and save it. This is your base tuning file that will contain COS5 and your base CAL. From this point forward, you won't need to flash the OS, just a CAL ONLY.

7. Write VIN# via SCAN TOOL; see my post above.

8. Write Oil Life; see post above

9. Crank engine, Activate and relearn Crank misfire strategy. See joecar's post and part of mine above.

I'm getting ready to hook up my nitrous system again. So I can't wait to see how well it works. I'm currently tuning the TPS VE table and have had some very good feedback. At this point, I would like to see more options in COS5, provide there is enough room for coding in there.

REQUEST FOR EFI STAFF:
You already have a MAP kPa to use the MAIN VE map. What about the reverse? If I go below x kPa, use the original MAIN VE. The issue at hand is that I like the resolution I get out of using the TPS VS RPM, but I would like to tune the decel stuff too or cruise when the MAP is actually less than idle vacuum. This would give me the most resolution. If I have missed something, let me know. I've only had the OS a few days, but having fun so far...

EDIT: joecar you beat me. I was typing. As joecar said, flash 12212156 and make sure it runs first!!!!!!

joecar
September 1st, 2010, 02:39 PM

EDIT: joecar you beat me. I was typing. As joecar said, flash 12212156 and make sure it runs first!!!!!!This can be used as a sanity check... with this the car has to run at least the same as it did previously.

:)

joecar
October 8th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Updated COS5.txt notes.

BLK02WS6
November 17th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I am going to use COS 5 pretty soon for a dry nitrous car - can anyone give me any help as far as fueling? Is there a way to calculate how much fuel to add in the VE multiplier for a given amount of nitrous? Seems to be a shot in the dark, but I'm not wanting to shoot in the dark LOL!

joecar
May 10th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Also note this extra bit of information:

There's a bit of a trick with the NOS timing retard, it will only function when table B5956 has a multiplier value of 1.00, typically at idle / part throttle this can be calibrated to 0.0 from factory. I had completely forgotten about that, it was 6 years ago we did that OS :shock:

from this thread: showthread.php?16310-question-on-custom-os-0202005 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?16310-question-on-custom-os-0202005)

joecar
May 17th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Updated notes.

whackem04
December 30th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Any new info its been a while

Tordne
December 30th, 2012, 09:17 AM
It's unlikely that there will be any updates/changes to the LS1 calibrations. They have been available for many, many years now and customers have created some pretty radical vehicles. We don't consider that anything needs to be changed for customers to achieve their tuning objective.

BowlingSS
December 30th, 2012, 09:23 AM
It's unlikely that there will be any updates/changes to the LS1 calibrations. They have been available for many, many years now and customers have created some pretty radical vehicles. We don't consider that anything needs to be changed for customers to achieve their tuning objective.

It worked on my LS1 for many years. Wished they had one for my L99.

Bill

ScarabEpic22
December 30th, 2012, 05:50 PM
It worked on my LS1 for many years. Wished they had one for my L99.

Bill

Why do you want one Bill? Valet mode? IMHO I dont really see the point of a COS for the newer ECMs with a VVE table. The only reason I can think of for a COS is the dual fuel/N2O COSs EFILive has for the E38/E67s OR to extend the spark table past the 1.2 g/cyl for LS1 or 1.36 g/cyl for E67/E38s to better control it while under boost. The newer OSs dont even need that, you can scale the spark axis to whatever you like.

whackem04
December 31st, 2012, 02:41 PM
Whats the best way to populate the TPS map at the hard to reach, low TP high RPM area?

joecar
December 31st, 2012, 07:38 PM
Whats the best way to populate the TPS map at the hard to reach, low TP high RPM area?Eyeball extrapolation.

Ellwein Engines
January 24th, 2016, 01:15 PM
I've read the tutorials and every thread related to OS5.
I cannot figure out how the table "Commanded Fuel vs RPM (Normal) should be set or it's function. {B3647}
I am setting up my PCM for simple nitrous spark retard. I think I have told the new OS to ignore TPS VE (Disable)
The tutorial talks about B3647 a bit and suggests initial settings. But I have not read on here that anyone has modified this table and or if it should just be set to 1.0
Any tips?
the B3647 has me stumped.
I don't have B3660
My original OS was 12212156
thanks,
Karl Ellwein

TFZ_Z06
January 24th, 2016, 01:53 PM
I've read the tutorials and every thread related to OS5.
I cannot figure out how the table "Commanded Fuel vs RPM (Normal) should be set or it's function. {B3647}
I am setting up my PCM for simple nitrous spark retard. I think I have told the new OS to ignore TPS VE (Disable)
The tutorial talks about B3647 a bit and suggests initial settings. But I have not read on here that anyone has modified this table and or if it should just be set to 1.0
Any tips?
the B3647 has me stumped.
I don't have B3660
My original OS was 12212156
thanks,
Karl Ellwein

send me your email addr, I'll send you a copy of my tune setup for nitrous, OL, No Trims, No MAF. It will give you an idea. BTW, I would leave 3647 alone unless you are VE tuning.

Ellwein Engines
January 24th, 2016, 02:29 PM
send me your email addr, I'll send you a copy of my tune setup for nitrous, OL, No Trims, No MAF. It will give you an idea. BTW, I would leave 3647 alone unless you are VE tuning.

Thanks, the comparison will help a lot.

karl@ellweinengines.com

joecar
January 25th, 2016, 12:14 AM
B3647 is the OL fueling table, it is used only in OL. If PE enables during OL then the richest of the two is selected (at the current operating cell).

B3647 is not used when you go from CL to WOT as in this case the residual LTFT is applied to WOT (i.e. in this case WOT is a reduced CL mode where even tho trims are not updated and applied, the last residual trim is applied).

You could do any of these:

a. set B3647 to EQR 1.0 everywhere (and make sure PE enables and is suitably rich at EQR 1.175 for NA).

b. set B3647 to EQR 1.0 below 75 kPa, and then ramp it up to EQR 1.175 (regardless of whether PE has enabled yet).

For NA you could have either PE and/or the high MAP columns of B3647 provide high load fueling.

For boost, you would enable PE at 105 kPa and set PE fuel suitably rich for boost.

Using B3647 means you will have to play with the OL ECT correction table A0008 (introduced by the COS in the A segment).

Ellwein Engines
January 25th, 2016, 05:00 AM
thanks a lot. That helps. Thanks Joecar and thanks TFZ_ZO6 for the file to let me compare.

Ellwein Engines
January 25th, 2016, 05:32 AM
One more question:
If you had an OK tune for B3647 for the car prior to installing the custom OS5 then would you paste that old table into new OS5 B3647 table as a starting point?

joecar
January 25th, 2016, 02:21 PM
One more question:
If you had an OK tune for B3647 for the car prior to installing the custom OS5 then would you paste that old table into new OS5 B3647 table as a starting point?The GM OS does not have table B3647...

When you install the COS, it replaces B3605 (which is ECT x MAP) with B3647 (which is RPM x MAP), and it retains the old data that B3605 contained...

so your new B3647 looks like the old B3605, but because the vertical axis now RPM (instead of ECT), the data in this table is not completely sensible, you have to edit it (see my suggestions above).

i.e. B3647 occupies the same space as B3605, but it changes the vertical axis from ECT to RPM, so the ECT x MAP data is not valid, you have to edit it into sensible RPM x MAP data.

Ellwein Engines
January 26th, 2016, 04:14 AM
The GM OS does not have table B3647...

When you install the COS, it replaces B3605 (which is ECT x MAP) with B3647 (which is RPM x MAP), and it retains the old data that B3605 contained...

so your new B3647 looks like the old B3605, but because the vertical axis now RPM (instead of ECT), the data in this table is not completely sensible, you have to edit it (see my suggestions above).

i.e. B3647 occupies the same space as B3605, but it changes the vertical axis from ECT to RPM, so the ECT x MAP data is not valid, you have to edit it into sensible RPM x MAP data.

AhHa! that makes it even more clear. Thank you so much joecar.

joecar
January 26th, 2016, 06:57 AM
No worries :cheers: let me know how it goes.

Tre-Cool
April 28th, 2016, 10:52 PM
whats the chances of being able to edit or allow support for up to 25 degrees of timing to be removed in the A0010 table? with the use of ethanol now, my normal timing map is is above 20 degrees under boost and i want to allow for a whole lot of timing removal if it looses a boost reference to the wastegates etc.

is it just an efilive limit for the table or ecu/tune limit?

joecar
October 10th, 2016, 04:16 PM
Updated COS5.txt notes.Bump to the end of the thread, and minor edit.

Highlander
April 26th, 2020, 09:50 AM
Anyone know about Black02ss? 10 years since his last post.

GMPX
April 26th, 2020, 11:53 AM
Pretty sure he left the whole scene a long time ago, I think he sold his car and moved on.

BowlingSS
April 27th, 2020, 10:01 AM
Pretty sure he left the whole scene a long time ago, I think he sold his car and moved on.

That is too bad he left. I am not on very often either but I am still here.

Bill

joecar
April 27th, 2020, 07:43 PM
Yeah, too bad.

Aint Skeered
October 14th, 2020, 04:36 PM
Yeah, too bad.

I have recently started looking back into the tps ve table. when I open the map for it in scan tool, it is missing a pid. what all pids are needed to log tps ve?

joecar
October 21st, 2020, 09:45 PM
Which pid are you missing...?

Aint Skeered
October 22nd, 2020, 04:15 AM
Which pid are you missing...?

Honestly not sure. I have Volumetric Efficiency selected , what else is needed for that and how do I tell what is missing for each map?

5.7ute
October 22nd, 2020, 03:48 PM
Honestly not sure. I have Volumetric Efficiency selected , what else is needed for that and how do I tell what is missing for each map?

T.P.S VE requires the Throttle Position and RPM pids to be selected as these are what is referenced on the Axis of the table. Also the VE table look up value pid is required to initially populate the table.
From there you can start using BEN values to dial the table in once activated.

Aint Skeered
October 22nd, 2020, 11:15 PM
I have all those and also selected Volumetric Efficiency for v8 just in case.
My biggest problem with this system is figuring out what pids are needed for each map . Is there some way to find that ? A tutorial on that?

ne0c0de
November 24th, 2020, 12:17 PM
For COS5 it tells you to ground PIN 56 on the RED Connector of the RED/BLUE ECU. What is the PIN on the GREEN/BLUE ECU ? Is it the same ? PIN 56 ?

ScarabEpic22
November 24th, 2020, 01:12 PM
For COS5 it tells you to ground PIN 56 on the RED Connector of the RED/BLUE ECU. What is the PIN on the GREEN/BLUE ECU ? Is it the same ? PIN 56 ?

COS5 is not available on 1MB PCMs that use green/blue connectors, only 512kb ones that use red/blue.

ne0c0de
November 25th, 2020, 10:37 AM
COS5 is not available on 1MB PCMs that use green/blue connectors, only 512kb ones that use red/blue.

Thanks Erik

joecar
November 25th, 2020, 05:52 PM
COS5 is only available for OS 12212156 which runs on 0411 PCM.

Yortt
June 27th, 2021, 01:42 PM
V4 was going to be the N20 options only, but in the end it was possible to squeeze everything in to one O.S, though, on the later 2004+ O.S's this might not be possible. There is a few cars in Aus running O.S #4, it's been out for a long time, but these were only used by workshops for N2O cars only.
I had to a custom O.S #3 for a 2006 Hummer and that was pretty much full up so I am not sure how far we can go!.
Besides, nearly all 2003+ O.S' are used on ETC applications, I am not sure the TPS VE table would work too well on them.

Cheers,
Ross

I am looking at using N20 on a VZ is there anywhere I can access the custom operating system 04 so I can control the Nos?
Thanks

Highlander
December 24th, 2021, 05:00 PM
COS5 is only available for OS 12212156 which runs on 0411 PCM.

hmmmm

joecar
December 24th, 2021, 11:42 PM
hmmmm
It is also available for Holden OS 12225074.

And it runs on various PCM's that are compatible with either of those OS's (12225074, 12212156).

BowlingSS
December 25th, 2021, 04:11 AM
I used Cos5 on my 2001 Camaro.

joecar
December 25th, 2021, 08:57 PM
I used Cos5 on my 2001 Camaro.
I did same on my 2001 TA...

I changed OS from 12202088 (2001 F-car) to 12212156 (2002 F-car), and then upgraded to COS5.

Highlander
April 8th, 2022, 02:16 PM
12587603 cos5

Yortt
April 8th, 2022, 07:16 PM
12587603 cos5

This is only available with Tunerpro ?

Highlander
April 14th, 2022, 01:01 PM
what do you mean? Tunerpro has nothing to do with EFILive.
COS5 was an OS modification developped by EFIlive.

Yortt
April 14th, 2022, 05:41 PM
what do you mean? Tunerpro has nothing to do with EFILive.
COS5 was an OS modification developped by EFIlive.

That is correct, however this COS5 operating system can be tuned with other software such as HP tuners and LS1 Flash cable for example. The COS5 is only available for 512kb PO1 PCM (as far as I know) not the 1024kb P59 pcm which the 12587603 is what this operating system runs on. The 12587603 operating system has been modified to duplicate COS5 functions (PCM Hacking) using Tunerpro to change the modified parameters in 12587603 for tuning.

Highlander
April 15th, 2022, 11:08 AM
hp tuners supporting an os developped by efilive was a dick move. I made the COS5 for 7603 with a plethora of enhancements and never released it for this very same reason. As far as I know no one has duplicated the nitrous portion of COS5.