PDA

View Full Version : Custom OS#5

Pages : [1] 2

Black02SS
May 17th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Hey guys. I thought I would take a few mins to let you guys know that I will be testing out this new OS a little bit for Ross in the upcoming week(s). There are some really cool features that are included with the ability to adjust fueling on N20 and some TPS vs VE settings. I'll keep you all informed of the progress and how it turns out.

Thanks!

Delco
May 17th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Hey guys. I thought I would take a few mins to let you guys know that I will be testing out this new OS a little bit for Ross in the upcoming week(s). There are some really cool features that are included with the ability to adjust fueling on N20 and some TPS vs VE settings. I'll keep you all informed of the progress and how it turns out.

Thanks!

Os5 is good , the TPS stuff I have been using for about a year now with good results , havent used the N20 part yet but I have a few test cars to do soon , interested in your results :)

caver
May 17th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Os5 is good , the TPS stuff I have been using for about a year now with good results

Bastard :)

jsttry
May 17th, 2006, 11:33 PM
what benefits does it have for FI applications? Any other little cool things?

ringram
May 19th, 2006, 01:49 AM
Would this be what you need to tune with the harrop 8tb manifold?
I guess MAP and MAF on that is out of the question.

Delco
May 19th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Would this be what you need to tune with the harrop 8tb manifold?
I guess MAP and MAF on that is out of the question.

Tps is great for this application , I have been using it for sub 3000 rpm and before I transition into boost.

Black02SS
May 19th, 2006, 02:03 PM
I was able to do some quick testing tonight and man ,the car does feel a lot more "crisp". I didn't notice so much it being anymore quicker so to speak, but the drivability on it is a lot better. More smooth off idle and through the shifts. It seems to have eliminated all the minor bucking that I experienced prior to using it. I have a nice long drive ahead of me in about 8hrs and will test it out more then. I'll keep everyone posted.

Tordne
May 19th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Really.. It made that much difference on your car without running N20. Very interesting!

Doc
May 20th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Go Chad, Go!

jsttry
May 22nd, 2006, 02:09 AM
How do we get on the list to test this out?

Highlander
May 22nd, 2006, 10:15 AM
yeah.. how do we get our hands on it?

GMPX
May 22nd, 2006, 01:24 PM
Because setting up TPS mapping isn't exactly simple, Chad being our tutorial guru is getting he's hands dirty with it first, that way when they come out it won't be too much of a nightmare for everyone as there will be a guide to getting it done.
2001 & 2002 O.S's will be first.

Cheers,
Ross

minytrker
May 22nd, 2006, 01:45 PM
Great! I have my 02 Z06 and a customers 02 Z28 waiting on the release. Cant wait.

Delco
May 22nd, 2006, 07:00 PM
Because setting up TPS mapping isn't exactly simple, Chad being our tutorial guru is getting he's hands dirty with it first, that way when they come out it won't be too much of a nightmare for everyone as there will be a guide to getting it done.
2001 & 2002 O.S's will be first.

Cheers,
Ross

Ross dont forget to tell chad about the ve pid , it saved a lot of heartache getting a good base tps ve table setup :)

Black02SS
May 22nd, 2006, 07:12 PM
Thanks, that PID has actually been in the scanner for awhile now. ;) We found it about a month ago. It did help a lot but I noticed it is a little difficult filling in the table. It was a must to use the copy and fill function.

Delco
May 22nd, 2006, 07:16 PM
Thanks, that PID has actually been in the scanner for awhile now. ;) We found it about a month ago. It did help a lot but I noticed it is a little difficult filling in the table. It was a must to use the copy and fill function.

Very easy to completely populate the table when tuning on the dyno , with the dyno we can hold constant rpm and slowly go to each tps point :)

Black02SS
May 22nd, 2006, 07:42 PM
Some of us poor folk don't have easy access to one but I can see how it would be a lot easier. I have had the oppportunity to use a dyno for dialing in the ve table and it is MUCH easier. :)

BowlingSS
May 23rd, 2006, 08:55 AM
It seems to have eliminated all the minor bucking that I experienced prior to using it.

I currently have a little bucking. Can not wait to see if this OS cures my problem.

Bill
:cheers:

ringram
May 31st, 2006, 12:10 AM
How is this going? Any closer for beta testing?, hint.
Some of us need something to mess with to keep us off hard drugs.

BowlingSS
May 31st, 2006, 02:38 AM
Some of us need something to mess with to keep us off hard drugs.

Ditto.......

:notacrook:

ringram
June 6th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Hey Chad how is the OS performing? Any comments for us minions?
How about a review.

Also mighty efilive men, any idea on release date for this os?

BowlingSS
June 7th, 2006, 10:36 AM
How about a review.

Ditto......

Bill

Black02SS
June 7th, 2006, 10:41 AM
I am working on a tutorial now for this guys. Bear with me as I get it all together and ready. I have been so busy with my "real" job that it is taken time away from my hobby. :lol:

Tordne
June 7th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Never let work get in the way of a hobbie I say :notacrook:

Doc
June 11th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Chad, I know what you mean brother.

Black02SS
June 11th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Nice to see you around Doc. How are things on your end?

I'm still working on this tutorial guys. PLEASE be patient as it is kind of involved as I don't want to miss any important steps.

turboberserker
June 13th, 2006, 09:13 AM
All you guys needing something to mess with to say off drugs are welcome to come on down and help me convert from leaf/torsion bar susp, and AWD to hardcore 2wd, 4link and bags ;)

Tordne
June 13th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Sound good. Sadly I'm in the wrong country. Damn :)

Black02SS
June 13th, 2006, 02:06 PM
How about a review.

I just re-read this thread and it appears I haven't answered one of your questions. :frown: Sorry for that. I am still testing out the OS everyday. I have it on my personal daily driver (H/C M6). I do like the way the car reacts now with the new OS. Still seems to be smoother on transitions from shifting as well as just the normal drivability of it. I still need to work on a few things as it is a lot more tempermental then with the stock OS if the car isn't 100% warmed up. There is a little more involved on getting this OS setup correctly then just a normal one doing the AutoVE. I am still working on the tutorial as again, it is more involved then the others I have done. Sorry for the delay as I didn't anticipate for it to take this long guys.

GMPX
June 14th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Now you know why I kept saying no to you Chad :D

minytrker
June 20th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Any new info when the OS will be released? I have several customers waiting on this. Im also waiting but Im about to just order the nitrous and give on this along with V2.

GMPX
June 20th, 2006, 05:56 PM
I can post it up I guess but you will be on your own without a tutorial!.
Though, the N20 stuff is pretty simple, it's the TPS VE that might cause some grief, but if you don't use that then there is no issue.

Cheers,
Ross

ringram
June 20th, 2006, 06:23 PM
ooo yes please, post please

TAQuickness
June 20th, 2006, 07:52 PM
ooo yes please, post please
:iamwithstupid:

Black02SS
June 20th, 2006, 07:56 PM
I'll try and get the tutorial done in the next week or so for you guys. :Eyecrazy:

ringram
June 20th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Hey we dont need tutorials man. Half the fun is in figuring it out yourself.

Black02SS
June 20th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Hey we dont need tutorials man. Half the fun is in figuring it out yourself. :muahaha:On this one you will be like :bash: for the first few mins without any direction. At least I was. Its not difficult by ANY meands, just a few steps to go through before you can actually start using the tables.

minytrker
June 20th, 2006, 09:59 PM
I can post it up I guess but you will be on your own without a tutorial!.
Though, the N20 stuff is pretty simple, it's the TPS VE that might cause some grief, but if you don't use that then there is no issue.

Cheers,
Ross

That's fair enough. Atleast then I can look through the OS and see what all nitrous parts I still may want or need to buy.

Thanks

kbracing96
June 21st, 2006, 01:39 AM
I thought directions where like the answers in the back of the book, they are for checking your work after your done.:nixweiss:

Tordne
June 21st, 2006, 11:42 AM
Hey Ross,

In the V5 Custom OS does the TPS VE Table get multiplied by the VE Multiplier table (B0014) as well as the standard VE Table?

Cheers,

Black02SS
June 21st, 2006, 11:57 AM
Hey Ross,

In the V5 Custom OS does the TPS VE Table get multiplied by the VE Multiplier table (B0014) as well as the standard VE Table?

Cheers,

I'll assume A0014 and I do believe it does. As far as I know, it basically takes place of the VE table when you are in the window you have setup.

Tordne
June 21st, 2006, 11:59 AM
Yeah I did mean A0014 :bash:.

Cheers mate! Will be interesting to see how hard it will be to actually populate a map of TPS vs. RPM etc.

minytrker
June 21st, 2006, 07:46 PM
how does the pcm know if you are spraying nitrous or just wot without nitrous?

Delco
June 21st, 2006, 07:49 PM
how does the pcm know if you are spraying nitrous or just wot without nitrous?

By the nitrous input switch earthing the PCM input

minytrker
June 21st, 2006, 08:20 PM
so basically like the same switching between two tunes with the duramax. just tie it into your arm switch and be set

Delco
June 21st, 2006, 10:30 PM
so basically like the same switching between two tunes with the duramax. just tie it into your arm switch and be set

A bit like that except it is the same tune just accessing a few extra offset tables to account for the spray. more akin to power/economy switch on the trans

ringram
June 22nd, 2006, 04:47 AM
Ok so where is this elusive beast? I'd like to tickle its bottom.

GMPX
June 22nd, 2006, 03:35 PM
Just two to start with.
One for the Aussies to replace 12225074.
One for the 2002 F&Y bodies to replace 12212156
If you are already running a custom O.S based on one of those O.S's then all existing tunes are compatible.

Same process as the others, Full flash the O.S #5 tune in, then flash the cals only from the existing tune you are running, then read it out and save as your new O.S #5 file and adjust the new tables / parameters.

Setup suggestions.
A0003 - Set to disable for now until the tutorial is done (or you are feeling brave).
N20 monitor is done via the same input as the Valet mode, once it is grounded then the two compensation tables become active, although, there is two parameters to stop those two tables even if the N20 is on.

Good luck, let us all know how you go.

Download here -
http://efidownload.iqd.co.nz/software/GMPX/V5_OS_Final.zip

Cheers,
Ross

Tordne
June 22nd, 2006, 04:03 PM
Ooooh a new challenge. Just when I was satisfied (finally) with my tune.

Let the games begin :rockon:

ringram
June 22nd, 2006, 07:18 PM
Cool, so what was it.. set A0003 to enable.. hehe..

Tordne
June 22nd, 2006, 07:36 PM
So, ringram... You installed it yet LOL

ringram
June 22nd, 2006, 08:37 PM
Will have within the next hour.. maybe not initially with A0003

ringram
June 22nd, 2006, 10:01 PM
http://www.efilive.co.uk/images/tps-ve.PNG

Well Ive started playing :D

Just a few thoughts and comments. The bottom half is rough, Im sure due to stuff I need to turn off like DFCO etc.

But I was thinking that cracker and follower are going to mess with this new TPS/VE table as its based on TPS and RPM. Cracker adds airflow separately from TPS so will affect VE, as will follower. I know Tordne zero'd out his cracker and follower at one point for testing, so my guess is to dial this in nice we will have to do that as well as the usual dfco, lean cruise etc.

Id say you would also want to fix PE to throttle trigger only and stop MAP triggers, again for consistency.

So yeah lots of different stuff to mess with, will take a while to figure it all out.

Anyway on the upgrade process, straight forward custom OS install, with the nice point that OS3 cals drop straight in. You can just leave the tps/ve stuff out until you want the challenge. Looking forward to everyone else's comments.

GMPX
June 23rd, 2006, 12:31 AM
My thoughts are unless you are running a REALLY big cam with no vac there is probably no point running the TPS VE unless it's just for the fun of learning.

Cheers,
Ross

minytrker
June 23rd, 2006, 01:59 AM
I wish my cable didnt go out yesterdayI wanted to play with this os. So with this OS I wont need a nitrous controller at all? If I understand this right, I can flip a switch and that will change some settings allowing me to use nitrous better. Im guessing it will allow me to pull timing and richen the car up.

GMPX
June 23rd, 2006, 02:30 AM
You still need a controller for the N20 solenoid(s), however, this allows you to alter spark and fuel without needing additional injectors when the N20 is on. It is by no means to replace some of the very sophisticated N20 control boxes out there. But for the guy with a small system who just needs to add a bit more fuel and pull a bit of timing it is ideal.
The other part of this O.S is the TPS mapped VE for big cam engines or trumpet style manifolds.

Cheers.
Ross

ringram
June 23rd, 2006, 02:38 AM
Agreed, its really for hardcore race cams. Just playing for something to do :)

Tordne
June 23rd, 2006, 07:09 AM
I don't think the VE Lookup Table PID will be affected by Follower, Cracker etc. As I understand it it looks up the value from the standard VE table at the RPM vs. MAP point. Then because you are creating a MAP of RPM vs. TPS then that VE Lookup Table value will basically be placed in the appropriate cell. Therefore building your TPS VE table.

I started playing yesterday. It is quite evident that it will be pretty damn hard to populate that table on the road ;)

ringram
June 23rd, 2006, 08:42 AM
Ok, but say Im doing 100mph, cracker will be at a higher value than just on idle. Therefore at the same RPM and TPS Ill have more air going in with cracker so less vacuum, so the ve reading at that TPS and RPM point will be different for the 100mph condition as opposed to me just reving at idle for example. 2 different ve/map readings same tps and rpm.

Maybe its not going to make much difference a few extra grams wont do too much when you are near the top of the table. But at low points it could get a little messy Id have thought.

I know what you mean about populating the table though, especially all the throttle points over 5000rpm. I guess you can see the pattern and then fill it in by hand. Should be interesting to see what happens with AFR's running of the table.

GMPX
June 23rd, 2006, 11:13 AM
I know where you are coming from Richard and I agree, but, for the engines that TPS VE will benefit the effect will be negligible.
However, as you guys are having so much fun, let us know what you find ?

Cheers,
Ross

joecar
June 23rd, 2006, 11:39 AM
Hmmm... sounds like too much fun, I'll have to give it a whirl... :)

SSbaby
June 23rd, 2006, 12:12 PM
I don't know if you need a big cam to take advantage of TPS vs VE Mult feature but I believe my baby cammed LS1 needs this table:

Case in point
My car bucks badly at around 1600rpm in 5th at cruise when constantly on and off the throttle at light inputs. I reduce the VE table b/w 1600-2000rpm by 2%. Bucking stops. But engine pings at moderate %TPS. I have to take a serious chunk of timing out (6*) between 1600-2000rpm to stop the pinging. No more bucking and no more pinging. However, the problem is that I've lost that effortless overtaking capability because I've lost timing. The only way I can restore the timing is to richen the mixture but then I'll re-introduce the dreaded bucking... which is why I badly need the TPS vs VE Mult table.

Can't wait to try it!

GMPX
June 23rd, 2006, 01:08 PM
The one problem this does have is in an A4 transitioning in and out of Drive, there is no detected load change for the VE, however that also has an advantage too because the fueling remains constant and the spark / IAC handles the RPM drop.
I ran this in my car for about a month a while back, and given plenty of logging time for BEN factors you can get the AFR's so spot on you'd think the WBO2 was stuck!

Cheers,
Ross

ringram
June 23rd, 2006, 06:46 PM
SSB, check your base spark and high octane spark. If they are way different at the points you mention try closing the gap, seemed to help for me with a similar problem when hardly using throttle at low speed.

Tordne
June 24th, 2006, 06:48 PM
I'm now running on OS5 as well. Just cause I can really, more than really needing it :)

But I have a question.. Where is, or what is/was OS4? How did we arrive at 5?

And now onto mapping the TPS VE Table :)

Is there any guidance on what settings should be used for the RPM, MAP and TP exit points?

Cheers,

GMPX
June 24th, 2006, 10:04 PM
I'm now running on OS5 as well. Just cause I can really, more than really needing it :)

But I have a question.. Where is, or what is/was OS4? How did we arrive at 5?

And now onto mapping the TPS VE Table :)

Is there any guidance on what settings should be used for the RPM, MAP and TP exit points?

Cheers,

V4 was going to be the N20 options only, but in the end it was possible to squeeze everything in to one O.S, though, on the later 2004+ O.S's this might not be possible. There is a few cars in Aus running O.S #4, it's been out for a long time, but these were only used by workshops for N2O cars only.
I had to a custom O.S #3 for a 2006 Hummer and that was pretty much full up so I am not sure how far we can go!.
Besides, nearly all 2003+ O.S' are used on ETC applications, I am not sure the TPS VE table would work too well on them.

Cheers,
Ross

ringram
June 25th, 2006, 05:42 AM
Never mind, lets us old skool pcm and tb guys have one up on the jones's.

joecar
June 25th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Bragging rights. :cheers:

Tordne
June 25th, 2006, 11:22 AM
So I have managed to map a reasonable portion of what will be the TPS VE Table. I have filled in the blanks and have basically got what I think is a reasonable first cut at this table.

So, the next test is to go and drive it. I have set all TPS VE Table disablers high, so that it will run exclusively from the TPS VE Table.

I have also made a MAP that will represent the BEN factor for the table to allow for correction (or at least that is the plan).

I'll probably give this a go in the next little while (gently :)) and then if all is looking OK might even drive it home like that :)

This is all very exciting :cheers:

Black02SS
June 25th, 2006, 12:50 PM
So I have managed to map a reasonable portion of what will be the TPS VE Table. I have filled in the blanks and have basically got what I think is a reasonable first cut at this table.

So, the next test is to go and drive it. I have set all TPS VE Table disablers high, so that it will run exclusively from the TPS VE Table.

I have also made a MAP that will represent the BEN factor for the table to allow for correction (or at least that is the plan).

I'll probably give this a go in the next little while (gently :)) and then if all is looking OK might even drive it home like that :)

This is all very exciting :cheers:
I'll be online here in a bit to help you out on it. I would add a little to your TPS table that you have plotted to ensure it isn't lean. ;)

Tordne
June 25th, 2006, 12:55 PM
I did add a bit :) First drive was pretty successful. My guess at the table wasn't too far out (surprisingly). So I'll definitely be driving it home :rockon:

Ross, can you confirm/deny that the values in the TPS VE Table are multiplied by A0014 multiplier? I am finding that the values in the TPS table are higher than my regular VE :eek:

Cheers,

GMPX
June 25th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Yes that table is still used. i don't imagine the TPS VE table is going to look to similar to a MAP based one.
I guess everyone figured out you need to log the VE Table value PID to initially populate the TPS VE table.

Cheers,
Ross

Tordne
June 25th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Thanks mate :beer:

I just wanted to confirm cause the values are different than the MAP VE. I was expecting the shape etc. to be very different, but I figured that max value (Grams*Kelvin/kPa) would be the same in the MAP and TPS VE?

Yeah I logged the VE Lookup PID some time ago testing another theory. so this time I just made a MAP that looked like the TPS VE Table and the went for a drive (using the regular VE) to build the base table. Then I shaped it, filling in the messed areas, and the increased by a couple of % for error. Turned out to be pretty damn close in my case :)

Cheers,

Black02SS
June 25th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Yes that table is still used. i don't imagine the TPS VE table is going to look to similar to a MAP based one.
I guess everyone figured out you need to log the VE Table value PID to initially populate the TPS VE table.

Cheers,
Ross

I almost forgot, the VE look up PID only works when using it in K*, if you do it in a % it reports a 0. At least for me it does. I have been known to not know what to do sometimes.

Black02SS
June 25th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Also, Tordne is the only guy that has tested out all 5 OS's I think on a SI car. :lol: What are you up to now, 1000 flases?

Tordne
June 25th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Also, Tordne is the only guy that has tested out all 5 OS's I think on a SI car. :lol: What are you up to now, 1000 flases?

HAHA, yeah must be getting close to 1000 flashes. I'll check on the drive home for ya so you can have a chuckle :)

You know I'm a computer guy. This is Service Pack 5 isn't it ;)

ZL1Killa
June 25th, 2006, 03:52 PM
haha, I was told tordne was the person to go to when flashin COS to your car.... LOL

Tordne
June 25th, 2006, 07:42 PM
High praise indeed :) I guess I must have too much time on my hands :muahaha:

joecar
June 26th, 2006, 04:09 AM
High praise indeed I guess I must have too much time on my hands Andrew, you got it down to a science :rockon:, when I get ready to do COS's I'll be asking you questions... hmmm... why don't I just come visit you... :D I should be about due for a long trip down under sometime in the mid future. :cheers:

And you have definitely gotten your money's worth out the FlashScan box... :cheers:

Tordne
June 26th, 2006, 06:41 AM
Joe, if you ever find yourself in Auckland, New Zealand definitely come say hello. I'd love t meet another crazy EFILiver :)

Flash count is sitting on 892 right now. So each flash has cost me under US$1 now, just need to work on getting it down to NZ$1. So, another couple of hundred flashes required.

I've seen a couple of peoples FlashScan boxes go out. That would be my greatest nightmare LOL. Then I'd have to the to the wife j/k

At least living in the same city as Paul I could probably swing by and get another one :)

You should definitely give the COS a go, at least V3 with the RPM/MAP fuel table and dual spark maps.

minytrker
June 26th, 2006, 07:54 AM
I can't wait to start playing with this OS. I have many customers that are very intrested in this along with myself. It will be another week or two before I can try it out on my car though.

http://ls1powertuning.com/cars/Resize%20of%20clutch%20001.jpg

joecar
June 26th, 2006, 11:43 AM
That's what I like, a car in various stages of disassembly and tools/parts strewn all over the place... :cheers:

joecar
June 26th, 2006, 11:46 AM
And a beer or two close by just in case... :cheers:

GMPX
June 26th, 2006, 05:31 PM
That's what I like, a car in various stages of disassembly and tools/parts strewn all over the place... :cheers:

Yeah, but a true car guy would have those heads in the TV room, or a spare bedroom :D

Cheers,
Ross

minytrker
June 27th, 2006, 01:44 AM
They are just 241 ls1 heads. I can't hardly give them away. So I am going to cut them up and make a flycutting jig out of them.

joecar
June 27th, 2006, 04:17 AM
Yeah, but a true car guy would have those heads in the TV room, or a spare bedroom :D

Cheers,
Ross...:D

ringram
June 28th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Slow me, tested the TPS table out yesterday. I triggered off at 3200rpm, on under 3200. Seemed to work well, nice throttle response, though as Tordne commented to me, it doesnt track commanded as well as SD based VE.

I think Ill work some more with it as I like the response.

CRU SS N
June 28th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Hi I've been playing with the COS #5 on my 402 and it seems very promissing so far. I'm not sure if you have tried this, but in order to dial-in the values in the tps based ve table I set it up to auto tune that and it actually seemed to work well. I can't get rid of a little flat spot at about 8-10 percent tps and about 1700 rpm, but I haven't had time to play with it much yet. I have a big cam(248-250 and 613 lift), but I don't think it's even big enough to need this table.

I already have the map based VE dialed in perfect, but I can't seem to get the car to want to do anything except for die until it reaches 180 degrees F. It wants to run very lean. It doesn't even stay close to the commanded AFR. I've been fighting this the past week. That's the reason I tried the TPS based VE table in the first place. Any suggestions on what could cause this would be great.

Tordne
June 28th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Is the ET or IAT getting to 180*F the problem? If it is the IAT temp you could use the A0014 VE multiplier table. I found that to work wonders.

CRU SS N
June 28th, 2006, 03:56 PM
The coolant temperature has to get up to about 180F before it seems to richen up to the commanded AFR. I was reading up on this issue and it appears to be somewhat common with SD tunes. I'll play with it some more and hopefully figure it out. I think I may need to tweek the B3632 table a little.

In order to use the input for the nitrous actiavtion do you simply ground the lead? Thanks again, Brian

Tordne
June 28th, 2006, 04:58 PM
The B3632 table decays pretty quick, unless you completly change the decay rates etc. this will not help you much. How about the A0008 ECT Commanded Fuel multiplier?

ringram
June 28th, 2006, 08:16 PM
yeah just ground the pin, its the same one used for valet mode, selectable in the tune.
I use the valet now and again.
Your ect spark tables might be pulling timing till warm too. Some of us have zero'd out most colder temps due to lack of power at colder ect's. Just remember to not use all the power till warm.

Kris
July 1st, 2006, 05:51 AM
I just upgraded to OS #5, but i'm having issues with the Commanded Air Fuel Ratios. Upon startup the Commanded AFR is about 12.08, works its way up over the next few seconds, and then gets stuck at 12.53 and never goes any higher. The commanded Air Fuel table is set to 14.63 at the proper cells that are being referenced.

Any ideas?

ringram
July 1st, 2006, 07:20 AM
Have you read the auto tuning tutorial? Have you tuned your ve 100% with a wideband? Its only accurate AFTER you have tuned it in with the auto ve tutorial.

Give us the background and details.

Kris
July 1st, 2006, 08:33 AM
Car has been tuned with the AutoVE for 2 months now. Everything pretty much dead on with the wideband. The problems isn't with my reported AF readings, it is with the Commanded AFR.

Been using the BEN Factor map to tune with, Commanded Air Fuel Ratio under idle and cruising conditions has been showing as 14.63 in the scanner while logging, and 12.95 is where i've been at WOT. (It is setup just as the Auto tutorial docs show)

Now i'm ready to do just a little more tweaking to the VE table and turn the LTrims back on for daily driving, but I'm also a nitrous junky, so I decided to throw in OS v5 for the N2O activated timing table.

I've been running a 2001 12202088 operating system and calibrations, this morning I did a full flash with OS v5 02020005 calibration and used a 2002 12212156 tune file to update the calibrations with. Then I hand updated all the tables to reflect my previous tune settings.

The car appears to be running fine, it is just that while logging the car, it is reporting the Commanded Air Fuel ratio as 12.53 ALL the time, idle, cruising, WOT (all the time except for the initial couple of seconds after startup) So my BEN factors are way out of wack... and i'm sure that if I turned the Strims or Ltrims on at this time, it would try to richen it up all the way down to 12.5

Tordne
July 1st, 2006, 08:37 AM
You can send the file to me if you want and I'll take a look. Email andrew at holdencray dot com

Kris
July 1st, 2006, 09:34 AM
emailed it to you.

For anyone else that might want to take a gander and offer a new perspective.

http://www.cepheid.org/~kris/EFILive/OSV5_0001.tun

Tordne
July 1st, 2006, 09:41 AM
Looking at your tune I would expect your Commanded AFR to be around 12.5 until your ECT reaches 40*C (104*F). Then it will command 14.63:1 from there up, till you hit 85kPa and above, where it enriches to 12.95:1.

You should look at your PE thought, cause it is still enabled and you are commanding 14.63:1 in PE mode :eek:

Tordne
July 1st, 2006, 09:43 AM
Your desired airflow table also looks way too high...

Kris
July 1st, 2006, 10:12 AM
Desired Airflow needs to be that high to keep this motor idling properly.

Car's setup is a 408, AFR 225s, 248/254 .622/.612 114+2, 11.3:1 compression, FAST 90/Nick Williams 90mm, SVO 30lb injectors, MAFless.

Setting the PE vs RPM table to 14.63 is what the AutoVE tuning tutorial says to set it to.

Here is a tune from some tuning last night when the car was still runing the stock operating system:

http://www.cepheid.org/~kris/EFILive/Log_0029.efi

And here is one from just now from a cold startup (at frame 3700 or so I turned the A/C on to raise the operating temp up some more)

http://www.cepheid.org/~kris/EFILive/Log_0030.efi

Black02SS
July 1st, 2006, 02:30 PM
You have something funky going on with your tune. In the last log it shows you at 180* with a commanded AFR of 12.53, but the tune shows you should be at 14.62. Duh. I have enclosed a new tune for you. I have adjusted the commanded AFR and hopefully this will help. Let me know what you come up with.

http://black02ss.dyndns.org/KrisOSV5_0002.tun

Kris
July 2nd, 2006, 02:29 AM
That fixed it Chad!

It is VERY funky... but it appears that changing over the whole commanded AFR table to 14.63 and moving the PEvsRPM table to 12.x has fixed the issue.

I'll get out here in a bit and do some driving on it to make sure it is working 100% proper, but so far it does appear to be fine.

Thanks guys!

Kris
July 2nd, 2006, 01:16 PM
Well I got bored today and decided to start playing with the TP-VE table as well. I started plotting out the data a little bit. It sure is a PITA to get all those areas plotted. I turned off all the throttle cracker/follower, dfco, trims, etc and got a fairly smooth graphing for the main areas of the table.

http://www.cepheid.org/~kris/EFILive/kris-TPVEplot.jpg

I guess i'm gonna try and get a bit more of it plotted before I decide to enable any of it... and then I guess i'll just have to actually figure out what to do with it all from there :nixweiss:

ringram
July 2nd, 2006, 05:46 PM
Looks like mine does, except nicer at the bottom, probably due to you turning dfco off. What you can do to if you are itching to test it is to tidy up the points you are missing and enable the table, but disable on say 3600rpm or where-ever your table runs out. Basically that will run it up to 3600rpm. Thats what I did. Worked well for a quick test. (maybe put some high values outside of this point as a failsafe)

GMPX
July 2nd, 2006, 06:44 PM
What are your impressions Richard, can you notice any difference in driving?

Cheers,
Ross

ringram
July 2nd, 2006, 08:09 PM
Performance seems to be more directly related to throttle action. (surprise surprise) With MAP B3647 table it was good, but seemed to follow behind throttle a little. All in all makes things nicely responsive. Ive not done enough extended testing to see what happens to fuel economy. From my wider reading it appears it may suffer a little. But I think for circuit racing situations, drifting etc, it would be excellent.

Kris
July 3rd, 2006, 06:35 AM
well i've gotten my TPS VE table dialed in to within +/-2% between 0-3000rpm & 0-20% TPS.

My setup is in my sig, and with the largeish cam I've always had some driveability issues, and most of them appear to have already been addressed by enabling the new table.

My cam has low vacuum at idle, at idle i've always jumped around between 4 cells 70-75kpa/800-1200rpm tables. With the A/C on, the idle has been fairly rough, even with different timing settings at idle. Now it only has to jump between 2 cells and made the idle MUCH smoother.

I've also always had some issues under some cruising conditions. Lots of studdering around 1700-1800 rpm, and again up at around 2000-2100 rpm. Once again, the new table has seemed to taken care of most of those problems.

Taking off from an idle, and transitioning between the shifts has also smoothed out. Throttle response is also slightly better.

Just from my impressions with it, I don't know how well the table would work being fully populated and enabled throughout the entire range (not to mention it would be a MAJOR job to populate and fine tune, especially without the aide of a mustang dyno), but it seems to work excellently for the lower regions.

GMPX
July 4th, 2006, 01:14 AM
Good news Kris, I think you have pretty much highlighted exactly what this O.S is good for and a great combo to prove it on.
Your comment "but it seems to work excellently for the lower regions.", I would also suggest that everyone just use the TPS VE in the area's you cannot get consistent MAP values in then switch back to the MAP VE once things become steady as you have done, good stuff.

Ringram......Drifting:bash: !

Cheers,
Ross

Highlander
July 12th, 2006, 11:17 AM
why is b3647 disabled in this os?

Kris
July 12th, 2006, 11:28 AM
I was wondering the same thing... but when looking a little more into it, I found that 3647 is in the Holden OSv5, but not in the F-Body OSv5... even though it was in OSv3 :nixweiss:

Highlander
July 12th, 2006, 11:29 AM
arg... so i have to change this ALL OVER AGAIN!! NO!!!!!

I HATE CHANGING OS'S! there should be a way to simply import from one cal to another.....

Tordne
July 12th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Weird that you would have lost the B3647 table. Just double checked myself and you're right :eek:

Highlander
July 12th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Im not doing it again...

GMPX
July 12th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Sorry guys, my bad, I just forgot to enable those tables in the cal file.
Save the one in the link below into -

\Program Files\EFILive\V7\Calibrations

and the tables will magically appear. They are in the PCM code and fully functional, there is no need to do any tun file mods.

Cheers,
Ross

http://efidownload.iqd.co.nz/software/GMPX/02020005.zip

Tordne
July 12th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Interesting... So does that mean that the B3605 table still actually exists in the Custom OS then? I thought you just stole the space it took up and change its purpose, and issued a new cal number B3647.

Kris
July 13th, 2006, 12:26 AM
I can't get the calibration file to download... anyone else able to get it?

btw... you rock Ross!

BowlingSS
July 13th, 2006, 07:24 AM
I can't get the calibration file to download... anyone else able to get it?

btw... you rock Ross!

Not me...

Bill
:bash:

Highlander
July 13th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Me neither

Camaro SS
July 13th, 2006, 08:57 PM
I can't get the calibration file to download. me too.

Highlander
July 14th, 2006, 06:45 AM
I think the cal is not needed anyways... All you have to do is copy your table and that is it... It uses the same table location and once you have that table setup... you don't change it.. So we are good to go anyways.

Update..I tested it.. and its working like its supposed to B3647. afr vs map...

Playing around for just 10 mins... it has made my tuning a lot simpler... a LOT less variation... NICE! I LIKE IT!

Perfect way to separate idle and low throttle conditions to other condition on the VE Table. I guess that is why GM uses a MAF, for those conditions.

GMPX
July 16th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Interesting... So does that mean that the B3605 table still actually exists in the Custom OS then? I thought you just stole the space it took up and change its purpose, and issued a new cal number B3647.

B3605 is gone, but, the 02020005.cal file still has it listed. I've updated the link in the previous page, I don't know why the link went dead!, I never changed anything.

Cheers,
Ross

Highlander
July 18th, 2006, 02:26 AM
THIS OS WORKS LIKE A CHARM! now it feels stock!

TAQuickness
July 18th, 2006, 09:00 AM
THIS OS WORKS LIKE A CHARM! now it feels stock!

This is killing me. I'm on the edge of my pants waiting to get my laptop back so I tinker with this OS...

BowlingSS
July 23rd, 2006, 07:16 AM
I am still on COS 3 but I am thinking about trying OS 5. Is there anything special I should be aware of when going to this OS?

Bill

Tordne
July 23rd, 2006, 08:11 AM
Nothing really "special" to be aware of. You will want to create a MAP which represents the TPS VE Table and just drive around and log a bit. Basically this is what you will need to do to try and build the initial table, as it is a different matrix compared to MAP vs. RPM standard table.

Camaro SS
July 23rd, 2006, 08:56 AM
I had problems with Custom OS3 and went back to the regular OS and things seemed good. So I had been reluctant to try Custom OS5, but with all the good reviews I thought what the heck I will try it. So far I am very glad that I decided to give Custom OS5 a try. The TPS VE table makes low rpm, light throttle with a large cam very nice. The IAT VE multipler actually seems to work with this OS where it didn't seem to work for me in Custom OS3.

BowlingSS
July 23rd, 2006, 10:52 AM
I had problems with Custom OS3 and went back to the regular OS and things seemed good. So I had been reluctant to try Custom OS5, but with all the good reviews I thought what the heck I will try it. So far I am very glad that I decided to give Custom OS5 a try. The TPS VE table makes low rpm, light throttle with a large cam very nice. The IAT VE multipler actually seems to work with this OS where it didn't seem to work for me in Custom OS3.

You convinced me that I need to go to this OS as soon as I can. Light throttle is the only place I have a little problem with now. It would be great to get rid of this headache.:beer:

Thanks.

Bill

SSbaby
July 23rd, 2006, 11:57 PM
I think I'm convinced that I should also make the upgrade to OS5 as I've had a few driveability problems that have crept into my tune ever since I've moved to OS3... and I continue to struggle to resolve. I hope OS5 is the answer I need or else I'm going back to OS1.

BowlingSS
July 25th, 2006, 02:47 AM
I am working on a tutorial now for this guys. Bear with me as I get it all together and ready. I have been so busy with my "real" job that it is taken time away from my hobby. :lol:

How is the tutorial doing? I am getting ready to go to OS5 and was just wondering.:cheers:

Bill

Tordne
July 25th, 2006, 08:12 AM
I've had a play with the TPS VE and can give you a quick howto (as I see it) for using OS5 and the TPS VE. I have stock cam so I really only did it for a challenge and to work out how to :)

1) You need to have a good VE table - with BENS on or very close to 1.00.
2) You need to change your preferences to view VE Table in "Grams*Kelvin/kPa" units.
3) You will need to log a new PID called GM.VETABLE_DMA under the Tune section. Basically you will need to log this PID to build your initial TPS VE table.
4) Create a MAP that has the same dimensions as the TPS VE Table and use the PID above as the Data.
5) Go for a drive and log. You will need to try and hit as many as possible points in the TPS VE Table MAP.
6) Now copy/paste the values in the TPS VE Table MAP to the TPS VE Table in your OS5 Tune file. You can try and experiment with the copy and fill function. You can probably also use the Linear Fill functions as well.

That my friends is how I did it. After the initial build of the TPS VE Table then I changed the TPS VE Table MAP created above so that the Data was now using the BEN factor. This allows you to fine tune that table going forward :)

I didn't play with cut in/out points for switching between TPS and standard VE Tables. And for initial tuning purposes my suggestion would be to run exclusively off the TPS VE Table as this will allow you to fine tune/correct it. I imagine to use the OS5 ongoing you will need to apply VE correction to both tables at the points where they are active.
Hope that helps some?

Cheers,

Kris
July 25th, 2006, 08:47 AM
What tordne said is pretty much exactly what I did. Except I did limit mine down to under 3000rpm and below 25% throttle. It's pretty difficult to really get good values outside of that area. (Difficult enough to fill up the lower section of the table as it is)

You will want to make sure DFCO is off, it really throws alot of cells out of wack with values wanting TONS more fuel. (I saw lots of 1.3+ BEN factor values in mine)

I found the TPSvsVE table most helpful in my idle region since I have a cam with 24-degrees of overlap (hence very low vacuum and quite erratic)

Highlander
July 25th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Anyone run cats with this OS? is it hurtfull for the cat to run at 15.5:1 cruising? will it heat them up too much???? Does COT work with this OS?

ringram
July 25th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Nope Holden stock OS runs up to 17:1 on lean cruise for hours so their cats survive tens of thousands of warranty miles ok. I think its too much fuel that really hurts them.

Kris
July 26th, 2006, 03:31 AM
I think its too much fuel that really hurts them.

Correct. Which is why cams with lots of overlap kill catalytics. The cats really like to stay at or above (within reason) stoich.

oztracktuning
July 30th, 2006, 08:01 PM
OK i am not certain of the best way to set up the Throttle % Data table.

I have logged some driving and used the VE table lookup pid.

I have also setup 2 tables - with Throttle % vs RPM (same as the table) another MAP vs RPM same as VE table. Do i get the values by looking at the peak VE numbers and getting a spreadsheet to calculate the % for me to put into A0007 ??

I am trialing it on my car and will aim to see if i can further improve the control of AFRs at low rpm and low throttle under 2000rpm.

Tordne
July 30th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Read my post above - it is precisely how I did it when I wanted to test/play with it. Once you get the base numbers I changed the MAP data to be BENS, basically to fine tune the table. Worked very well!

Camaro SS
July 30th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Ross, this TPS VE Table is great. Really helps out low rpm driveability with a large cam. Is there any chance you could make the rpm jump every 200 rpms instead of the normal GM jump of every 400 rpms? I have seen my AFR be off alittle say at around 1800 or 2200 rpms. I know I am being picky, but a higher resolution on the rpm scale would be awesome. :cheers:

GMPX
August 5th, 2006, 01:46 AM
John, the issue is GM have some specific routines for RPM lookups that were done in a way to minimise CPU overheads, changing the breakpoints is not a simple task. However, keep in mind with table interpolation it is not jumping from one cell to the next, having said that, there is nothing you can do to the values in between.
Anyway, glad it has helped out somewhat.

Cheers,
Ross

BowlingSS
August 6th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Just two to start with.
One for the Aussies to replace 12225074.
One for the 2002 F&Y bodies to replace 12212156
If you are already running a custom O.S based on one of those O.S's then all existing tunes are compatible.

Setup suggestions.
A0003 - Set to disable for now until the tutorial is done (or you are feeling brave).
Download here -

Cheers,
Ross

So does this mean I can not use COS5 if I have a 2001 using COS3?? Is this true?????

Bill

oztracktuning
August 7th, 2006, 03:54 PM
I have just settled with my car using 129005 with the tps enabled under 1200rpm. This is helping it idle better and transition better. Its worth doing with a car with a modded cam and is pretty easy.

I will be using this operating system with 'cammed' cars from now on.:)

BowlingSS
August 7th, 2006, 10:17 PM
I have just settled with my car using 129005 with the tps enabled under 1200rpm. This is helping it idle better and transition better. Its worth doing with a car with a modded cam and is pretty easy.

I will be using this operating system with 'cammed' cars from now on.:)

I am currently using COS 01250003. Can I use the 1290005 OS? My GM Stock OS was 12202088 (2001).
I sure would like to try this OS.
Thanks.
Bill
:master: :beer: :notacrook:

Tordne
August 7th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Don't think so. The 2002 Camaro was 12212156 from memory. The Custom Os stream 0129000x matches stock OS 12225074, which I believe was only used in Holden Commodores.

BowlingSS
August 7th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Don't think so. The 2002 Camaro was 12212156 from memory. The Custom Os stream 0129000x matches stock OS 12225074, which I believe was only used in Holden Commodores.

That is what I was afraid of. Any idea when/if they will support the 12202088 OS?

Bill

Tordne
August 8th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Check if you can update to the Camaro 02 OS 12212156, I think that is the other OS that Custom OS V5 is done for ;)

TAQuickness
August 22nd, 2006, 03:57 AM
Sorry guys, my bad, I just forgot to enable those tables in the cal file.
Save the one in the link below into -

\Program Files\EFILive\V7\Calibrations

and the tables will magically appear. They are in the PCM code and fully functional, there is no need to do any tun file mods.

Cheers,
Ross

http://efidownload.iqd.co.nz/software/GMPX/02020005.zip

Behold the power of search. Too bad I messed my skivies before I found this post.

Highlander
August 22nd, 2006, 10:28 AM
That is what I was afraid of. Any idea when/if they will support the 12202088 OS?

Bill
Why do you need OS5 support for that OS?

Tordne
August 22nd, 2006, 10:30 AM
Bill, you can probably upgrade to 12212156 and then go to the 02020005 V5 OS.

Highlander
August 22nd, 2006, 10:30 AM
So does this mean I can not use COS5 if I have a 2001 using COS3?? Is this true?????

Bill
YOU CAN USE COS5... you JUST have to manually copy and paste all your calibration data INTO that OS.. that is all! :)

BTW.. copy entire segment doesn't work.... is this still supposed to work? its greyed out.

Tordne
August 22nd, 2006, 10:41 AM
Copy entire segment does work, did it the other day :) Not between different OS's though obviously.

open a tune and an alternate like you are doing a comparison. Then it is available.

Highlander
August 22nd, 2006, 12:28 PM
Ah.... actually
with all the table numbering being exactly hte same for all OS, it should be available... That is all left as an editor.

BowlingSS
August 25th, 2006, 02:37 AM
Bill, you can probably upgrade to 12212156 and then go to the 02020005 V5 OS.

That is what I did. That works fine. You just have to copy/paste all your cals.:beer:

Bill

nitrorocket
August 25th, 2006, 03:27 AM
As it stands.... What features will this give over 7.3??

joecar
August 25th, 2006, 04:27 AM
That is what I did. That works fine. You just have to copy/paste all your cals.:beer:

Bill
:cheers:Bill,

That's what I did, handraulically copied each table from 12202088 to 12212156.

It seemed a little tedious :bash:, but it wasn't so bad :cheers:.

For anyone listening in wondering the purpose of doing this:
doing this this makes it easy to copy the old calibrations to COS5 (as said by the COS tutorial):
write the entire flash with 02020005,
write calibration only from 12212156
(and then read the entire flash and save to file, don't forget this step).

joecar
August 25th, 2006, 04:33 AM
As it stands.... What features will this give over 7.3??nitro,

COS3/COS5 allow you to run SD with the use of both hi and lo octane spark maps;

is that what you're asking...?

joe

TAQuickness
August 25th, 2006, 06:09 AM
nitro,

COS3/COS5 allow you to run SD with the use of both hi and lo octane spark maps;

is that what you're asking...?

joe

In addition, OS5 offers a TPS VE that tames a wild cam (on the low end) fast.

oztracktuning
August 26th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Can this OS5 custom operating system work with the VZ LS1 PCM operating system. So far ive been just leaving these all with modded maf calibrations rather than changing anything drastically.

ringram
August 27th, 2006, 11:42 PM
I think the VZ has a 1024Kb PCM with Ethanol stuff in it. Id say you were out of luck at the moment.

Haans249
August 28th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Hey everyone,
I just upgraded to the COS5 from a stock 2001 OS. I was able to upgrade with no problems on the PCM side of htings, checked all parameters and made sure everything was on target with my original tune and all. Well, went to start it up, and bam...idles like death and doesn't hold the idle at all, jumps all around. My AFR is also way jacked up as well and the commanded AFR is not where it needs to be like it was before the change. i looked over all of the parameters and I can't find the target of the problem. So, I figured maybe the CASE parameters didn't actually make it through, so did a CASE relearn and that also didn't help either. I really don't know what to make of this, its very strange to me and I just don't understand what is going on. When I first made the change over, the AFR was SUPER lean, like in the 20's so I had to shut it down and adjust the VE table...which in the original tune was perfect in the idle areas...about 15% to get it close. I just am clueless whats causing the problem.

Here is my tune and a log of the madness, please take a look!!!

Thanks,
Adrian

Haans249
August 28th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Another thing I can't wrap my head around is why all of my units changed from Standard to Metric without messing with the config files...wtf is going on!?

Haans249
August 28th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Alright turned out it was the missing table and I had to update the .cal file. Thanks Andy!! But the random changing of the units is still a little confusing to me....not forgetting to mention that the "Electronic Throttle Control" folder popped up randomly under engine calibrations in my 2001 file and it and its 3 tables were all red and then it disappeared...weird.

Adrian

RetroAus
September 12th, 2006, 02:43 PM
ETC parameters ony appear when you have your FS Tool plugged in to your computer(not PCM)....

joecar
September 13th, 2006, 04:01 AM
ETC parameters ony appear when you have your FS Tool plugged in to your computer (not PCM)....RetroAus,

That's correct, and their icons appear in red, and it has to be a Commercial Licence FS.

And welcome to the forum. :cheers:

Joe

bink
September 21st, 2006, 12:13 PM
RetroAus,

And welcome to the forum. :cheers:

Joe
Ditto and a bump^^^. :mrgreen:

joel

joecar
September 21st, 2006, 01:39 PM

jamesbond2509
October 1st, 2006, 03:58 PM
Sorry for the dumb question. Where can I download COS 05.

:master:

bK
October 1st, 2006, 04:11 PM
Sorry for the dumb question. Where can I download COS 05.

:master:

Off the efilive website in the downloads section or just click here > http://www.efilive.com/download.aspx#downloads3

Tordne
October 1st, 2006, 05:05 PM
Link is actually on page 2 of this post only (from what I've seen). I've linked you here for convenience http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=25985&postcount=48

joecar
October 24th, 2006, 06:58 AM
There's an update in post #114: showpost.php?p=26981&postcount=114 (http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=26981&postcount=114)

jsttry
January 26th, 2007, 03:53 AM
I plugged OS5 in today to tidy up some idle surging I was having. Worked like a charm after following the details in this thread (after I waded through all the pages). No more idle issues :)

TAQuickness
January 26th, 2007, 05:18 AM
COS5 is cool

joecar
January 26th, 2007, 06:17 AM

Jason S.
March 9th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Not sure if I overlooked it, but it was initially said that the OS5 might not work with ETC. What's the verdict there? I have a 2000 corvette with ETC, OS #09381344 Can I upgrade to a 2002 OS then run OS5? Sorry, but this gets incredibly confusing.

Thanks for any help.

Jason.

Beer99C5
March 9th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Not sure if I overlooked it, but it was initially said that the OS5 might not work with ETC. What's the verdict there? I have a 2000 corvette with ETC, OS #09381344 Can I upgrade to a 2002 OS then run OS5? Sorry, but this gets incredibly confusing.

Thanks for any help.

Jason.

I hope not! I should be testing it in a couple weeks w/ the 2002 Vette A-4 OS.

BowlingSS
March 10th, 2007, 02:37 PM

joecar
March 10th, 2007, 03:03 PM
I flashed COS5 in late last night before going to bed... :)

I followed the COS3 tutorial and I disabled TPS VE, motor started right up the first time; idle/warmup AFR looks better than 12212156; I haven't driven it yet... but now I'm in a position to play with it... learning purposes, I don't have a cam or shot... yet... ;)

TAQuickness
March 11th, 2007, 12:36 AM
COS5 is a lot of fun Joe - Especially with the TPSVE bit.

Jason S.
March 11th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Can anyone say for sure this will or will not work with ETC?

TAQuickness
March 11th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Should work just fine. I believe Beer99C5 is using COS5 with good results.

Beer99C5
March 11th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Should work just fine. I believe Beer99C5 is using COS5 with good results.

Not yet, just finished going table for table on the 99 to 2002 transfer (you did a great job, just double checking the differences w/ the OS's).

Hope to load it up for the first time Saturday and get some logs weather permitting. Scheduled for dyno testing 24 March.

Beer

Jason S.
March 12th, 2007, 03:35 AM
When I am trying to open the new OS5 file, I am getting an unrecognised PCM warning. Any ideas? I'm anxious to run this on my C5 as well. I think it will be pretty incredible for throttle response!

Thanks
Jason.

Doc
March 12th, 2007, 03:39 AM
Sounds normal, I do believe the warning sez something to the effect of "unrecognizalbe pcm or COS?"

Jason S.
March 12th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Sounds normal, I do believe the warning sez something to the effect of "unrecognizalbe pcm or COS?"

The other custom OS's don't give me that warning. Is this a normal warning for OS5? It seems like it isn't allowing the file to open though??

Jason.

joecar
March 12th, 2007, 04:47 AM
What was your stock OS id...?

Jason S.
March 12th, 2007, 12:16 PM
My stock OS I.D. is 09381344. I was preparing to update to an 02 of 12212156. Then run the OS5 of 02020005. Just opening the 02020005 gives me the error. Am I missing something?

Jason.

Beer99C5
March 12th, 2007, 12:47 PM
The cal file.

I will send ya something to try.

joecar
March 12th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Beer's right, there was an updated 02020005 cal file... see post #114 of this thread...

http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=26981&postcount=114

Beer99C5
March 12th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Tried to send it Jason but got the memebr does not want email when clicking on your Profile.

Shoot me a PM w/ addy and I can send it.

Jason S.
March 12th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Tried to send it Jason but got the memebr does not want email when clicking on your Profile.

Shoot me a PM w/ addy and I can send it.

Sorry, try it again... I didn't have the receive e-mail from others checked...

THanks

Jason.

Jason S.
March 12th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Beer's right, there was an updated 02020005 cal file... see post #114 of this thread...

http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=26981&postcount=114

O.K. I think I see what is going on. Do the .cal files need to go in a specific directory?

Thanks
Jason.

Jason S.
March 12th, 2007, 02:49 PM
O.K.... this is starting to make more sense now. I didn't realize that the .cal was the basis for the .tun file, and they went together... THat is where I was blowing it. I had all the files, just not in the right place.

Thanks for all the help. Now that I am this far, I just need to triple check the steps to convert a 2000 OS to a 2002 OS, so I can then make the jump to OS5!:)

Doc
March 12th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Kool beans man!

Jason S.
March 12th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, I am running on OS5....now on to tuning!

Jason.

joecar
March 12th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Jason, make sure you have the updated 02020005.cal file.

So you see which two folders they belong in (along with all the other .tun and .cal files)... :cheers:

Jason S.
March 13th, 2007, 03:49 AM
Jason, make sure you have the updated 02020005.cal file.

So you see which two folders they belong in (along with all the other .tun and .cal files)... :cheers:
I'm pretty sure I have the updated one...is there an easy way to tell?

Jason.

joecar
March 13th, 2007, 06:27 AM
The file's timestamp says 7/13/2006 6:48pm.

joecar
March 15th, 2007, 01:25 PM
The tune tool is telling me that some of the Axxxx parameters are out of range...

see composite pic:

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/8224/overrange0qo2.png

But when I eyeball each one, it's value is equal to the maxium value, so how can it be "out of range"...?

Doc
March 15th, 2007, 01:37 PM
What software rev are you running?

joecar
March 15th, 2007, 02:00 PM
I'm running this one (Feb 24, 2007): showthread.php?t=4585 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=4585)

Doc
March 16th, 2007, 12:38 AM
The reason why I asked is I am running the same rev with COS #5 and an underlying 12212156 base and donot have this problem. I have a buddy that has an 03 Silverado RCSB w/ the 1MB pcm running COS#3 with the same problem.

Black02SS
March 16th, 2007, 03:27 AM
Set all the values joe to somewhere in the middle and save the tune. Re-open it and then change them back to the max value and see what happens.

joecar
March 16th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Chad, thanks, that was it. :cheers:

Thinking about it, it must be how a new install of a COS forces you to set values in the new tables.

Edit: or it could be what was in the flash from previous non-COS (12212156).

Black02SS
March 17th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Glad you got it figured out. :)

diynoob
May 6th, 2007, 10:35 AM
My PCM is currently running 12593358 -- I am trying to find COS5 for this setup. From the old COS3 tutorial it looks like I need 02040005 but I couldn't find that OS anywhere.

Am I correct in assuming that I should just flash over to 02020005 (hoping I got that number right) and then copy/paste my tables from the old 12593358 tune into it? If so, are there any particular tables I need to pay attention to (obviously timing tables, VE, etc.) or is it best to just copy/paste everything?

Also, is the official download link the one buried in the middle of this thread?

Thanks in advance.

joecar
May 6th, 2007, 10:48 AM
If you want 02020005, then that zip is only one part of it (that zip file corresponds to step 0 below).

Follow these links in the sequence shown:
0. showpost.php?p=32588&postcount=167 (http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=32588&postcount=167)
1. showpost.php?p=34134&postcount=168 (http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=34134&postcount=168)
2. showpost.php?p=45981&postcount=4 (http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=45981&postcount=4)

diynoob
May 6th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Thanks,

I am not sure what the difference is between 02020005 and the other 0005 OS file. Any advice on which to use is appreciated. This is going on a 2003 Z06.

joecar
May 6th, 2007, 10:56 AM
There is no 02040005...

You have to copy your old tables to 12212156 and full flash that to make sure it works.
If it does, then full-flash 02020005, and then cal-only-flash from 12212156.

The other 0005 OS is for Australian PCM's.

diynoob
May 6th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Thank you joecar! I was thinking along those lines but didn't know the specifics of the upgrade path. Got all my tables copied over tonight (I think...) which was not difficult but sure was tedious. Going to reflash tomorrow and see how the car drives.

Is there anything I should be looking for in particular or is this just a pass/fail on whether or not the car drives at all with 12212156?

joecar
May 6th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Car should drive the same with 12212156 as it did with your old OS.

Beer99C5
May 6th, 2007, 09:35 PM
I just did the conversion from the 99 Vette to 2002 Vette OS, that was the easy part. When I flashed to the 12212156 I had to resest the oil life and do a Crank relearn, once that was done, seems to work good, put about 50 miles on it so far no codes.

I am have a bit of trouble getting the COS5 to work NA (not using the FI stuff, just N2O monitoring).

diynoob
May 7th, 2007, 06:06 AM
Just down-converted from my 2003 OS to the 2002 OS 12212156. The car drives just fine. It's also one of the most beautiful days we've had here in Southwest Florida for a LONG time (cool and breezy 75 degrees outside, compared to the 90+ degree weather we've had lately) so it was nice to get the Z06 out and drive a bit. :rockon:

I did have to reset oil life but did not have to do a CKP relearn. During flash EFILive told me all CASE data would be retained and that was correct.

Now once the car cools down the 2bar sensor is going in and I am flashing to COS5 tonight! :D

diynoob
May 7th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Anyone have the P/N for the little gasket that goes on the MAP sensor and keeps it firmly in place on the back of the intake? I noticed the gasket on my old MAP sensor was torn in a couple of places while removing it.

ScarabEpic22
May 7th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Why did you have to downconvert from an 03 OS to an 02 OS? Is there not a COS for your 03 OS?

diynoob
May 7th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Why did you have to downconvert from an 03 OS to an 02 OS? Is there not a COS for your 03 OS?

From what I've gathered, there are only two different versions of COS5 -- one for US spec cars and one for AUS spec cars (did I get that right?) The one for US spec cars is a direct upgrade for a specific 2002 OS, so converting to that OS first and copying the tables over makes the actual COS flash pretty straightforward.

I doubt there are any real functional differences between the OEM OS in my 2003 and the 2002 OS I had to downgrade (sidegrade?) to first.

joecar
May 7th, 2007, 06:41 PM
That's correct: 12212156 -> 02020005

ScarabEpic22
May 8th, 2007, 10:19 AM
OK, I guess that makes a lot more sense than having about 205484 versions for each and every OS from 02-07+.:bash:

BowlingSS
May 9th, 2007, 10:12 AM

I first had to go to 12212156 on my 2001 Camaro. Then a hour or less of copy-paste and then to 005. It was not too bad.

Bill

Brains
June 26th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Am I missing something? I don't have 02020005 in my Custom OS folder -- clean install off the downloads page.

joecar
June 26th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Brains, see attachments (...zip file failed to upload...)...

These were gotten by following post #204: showpost.php?p=46950&postcount=204 (http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=46950&postcount=204)

Edit: These files are already included in the later builds of EFILive software.

Brains
June 27th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Ahh, thank you very much !! I skimmed this thread, and went right over it. :cheers:

wadesns
July 12th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Was the tutorial ever completed for this or am i over looking it? I am having a bit of trouble following the info in this thread :)

..RJ..

joecar
July 13th, 2007, 03:18 AM
Was the tutorial ever completed for this or am i over looking it? I am having a bit of trouble following the info in this thread :)

..RJ..This thread contains the info required if you want to run the TPS vs RPM VE table (if you have a cam with much duration/overlap giving you poor vacuum, or just for kicks :D )... a.k.a. alpha-N.

I'm sure we'll eventually add this info to the COS tutorial.

Doc
July 15th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Please somebody correct me if I am wrong but, does COS OS#5 exist for 2003 or +up? Any plans? I've got a truck that needs support for the juice.

2002_z28_six_speed
July 19th, 2007, 07:24 AM
So, basically in COS5 there is no way to run the car a little richer during warm ups? Because {B3605} has been altered.

SSpdDmon
July 19th, 2007, 07:46 AM
So, basically in COS5 there is no way to run the car a little richer during warm ups? Because {B3605} has been altered.
I was wondering why our cars do this from the factory??

Thinking about it....carb'd motors don't have fueling change from cold start to warm up. I think that the OL table has richer values because that's when the O2's are still warming up. So, it's more of a safety feature. If you're going to be dialing in the tune and monitoring it every now and then, I don't know if you really need the factory safety feature of richer AFR's post startup.

Doc
July 19th, 2007, 08:10 AM

That's what {A0008} is for.

2002_z28_six_speed
July 19th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Doh! There is it. Must have been the Camo hat which threw me off! Thanks Doc. :)

2002_z28_six_speed
July 19th, 2007, 08:54 AM
I was wondering why our cars do this from the factory??

Thinking about it....carb'd motors don't have fueling change from cold start to warm up. I think that the OL table has richer values because that's when the O2's are still warming up. So, it's more of a safety feature. If you're going to be dialing in the tune and monitoring it every now and then, I don't know if you really need the factory safety feature of richer AFR's post startup.

Right. Well this depends from motor to motor. Some carbed cars had chokes and some didn't. I don't even think race carbs have them at all. Forgive me I haven't touched a carb since about 1998. Good ridance really.

I drove a car without a choke for awhile. Pumping the gas helped it start right up just like a choked carb.

Anywho, the theory that you are talking about hmmm I guess it is kinda of illusive. I was always told that it takes more fuel to start the engine + the heat of the engine helps to evaporate the gas. Pour more fuel in seems like it would just saturate the situation even more because the cold air can't hold as much vapour anyways. :nixweiss: However, I think my AFRs are leaner until the car warms up.

The problem I am having right now is that I have ran and ran the AUTOVE and each time I start the car it runs very lean but eventually goes to acceptable levels.

joecar
August 13th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Attached is my note taking while reading thru this [long] thread.

For COS5 cal/tun files, see here: showpost.php?p=50208&postcount=218 (http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=50208&postcount=218)

Edit: the files are already included in the later builds of EFILive software, do not copy them from that link.

vetteboy2k
November 14th, 2007, 05:50 AM
Can COS5 be used to add timing when PCM pin #56 is grounded instead of pulling timing for the Nitrous?

Id like to add timing when the pin is grounded for my methanol system and then go back to normal spark timing without the meth.

vetteboy2k
November 14th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Looks as though minimum advance is 0 and upper limit is 20. Description say the value is subtracted from the final spark value.

Would it be possible to get a COS6 and just modify the timing to allow positive timing instead of subtracted timing?

vxchev8
November 15th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Attached is my note taking while reading thru this [long] thread.

For COS5 cal/tun files, see here: showpost.php?p=50208&postcount=218 (http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=50208&postcount=218)

Thanks Joe very handy...... :cheers:

Chuck CoW
December 1st, 2007, 01:09 PM
Hey Guys...I read through this whole thing and I can't seem to fins the answers I need.....

I've got an 03 ZO6 with the o/s # 12593358.

I want to use the cos#5, but I can't seem to find the calibration it works with.

By the #'s I thought I was looking for 02040005 but it seems that someone else had the same problem as me...IT DOSEN'T EXIST.

Now, my pal Howard e-mailed me a COS 5 but it appears to be an automatic calibration....I need a stick.

Now, I'm a bit confused....I've gone though a vast library of "original GM bins" and tried everything from 02-03 ZO6's and even a bunch of other LS1 standard shift bins and LIVE tells me none of them are compatible with COS5.

Are there rules somewhere I neglected to read???:bash: I'm sorta following the COS upgrade chart (os5 is not on it yet) and not getting this.

Does anyone have an stick shift ETC that works in custom os5..????Preferably an 02-03 ZO6 bone stock calibration....I'd rather not have to un-do someone elses tune.....

Thanks
Chuck CoW

Tordne
December 1st, 2007, 02:43 PM
COS5 is only available presently for two operating systems:
- 12212156 (2002 F/Body) = COS5 02020005
- 12225074 (Holden) = COS5 01290005

Chuck CoW
December 30th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Hey guys.....

In COS5....I've had success improving the VERY cold start up by trimming the fuel in A0008 (open loop ect commanded fuel multiplier)

I was able to EXACTLY command the startup AFR and the thing starts AMAZING even when it's cold as hell....

But, In driving it today, I think I noticed my fueling was off and it ran bad.

QUESTION: is A0008 used for warm-up AND WOT conditions??

Do I need to bring PE in sooner to fix it? I seem to remember something about the pcm using "whichever is richer" PE or open loop commanded....

How does it work in COS5?

Chuck CoW

Chuck CoW
January 14th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Hey guys.....

In COS5....I've had success improving the VERY cold start up by trimming the fuel in A0008 (open loop ect commanded fuel multiplier)

I was able to EXACTLY command the startup AFR and the thing starts AMAZING even when it's cold as hell....

But, In driving it today, I think I noticed my fueling was off and it ran bad.

QUESTION: is A0008 used for warm-up AND WOT conditions??

Do I need to bring PE in sooner to fix it? I seem to remember something about the pcm using "whichever is richer" PE or open loop commanded....

How does it work in COS5?

Chuck CoW

BUMP:bash:

Doc
January 14th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Chuck,
It's just a multiplier/modifier table. You should only have to modify the sub normal fully warmed up cells in A0008. The rest (60 deg C and up) should be set to "1" which will not afffect your final commanded fueling.

Is your problem final commanded fueling or final actual?

Highlander
January 20th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I would like to know if any of this OS's have the ability to change injector balance, to add 1% to cylinders 7 and 8 as we have the ability on LT1 engines.

BowlingSS
January 25th, 2008, 04:39 AM
I would like to know if any of this OS's have the ability to change injector balance, to add 1% to cylinders 7 and 8 as we have the ability on LT1 engines.

I do not think so. At least I have not seen anything on this.

Bill

ntae
March 21st, 2008, 11:42 AM
Ross /Paul

can we have OS 5 in the downloaded install OS folder to make it easer ,save having to place os5 in there after an install . i would say most people in OZ would use os5 as the base ls1 os

Geoff

Highlander
March 22nd, 2008, 10:21 AM
I have been using for a LOONNG time COS5 with ETC, although this is a 512kb pcm...

joecar
March 30th, 2008, 07:07 AM
More info, see TAQ's posts: showthread.php?t=7653 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7653)

joecar
April 7th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Related material: showthread.php?t=2270 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=2270)

joecar
April 14th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Check to see if you have these files:

02020005:
C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Calibrations\LS1B\Custom\020200 05.cal
My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Bins\Custom OS\02020005.tun

01290005:
C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Calibrations\LS1B\Custom\012900 05.cal
My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Bins\Custom OS\01290005.tun

If you have a later build of EFILive software, you should already have those files;
If you don't have them, then get them from here: showpost.php?p=50208&postcount=218 (http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=50208&postcount=218)

Note that the two .tun files above are "empty" (they contain no calibration data);
you have to full flash the COS5 .tun file, and then cal only flash from your running
12212156 (for 02020005) or 12225074 (for 01290005) file;

then read back the tune, fix the out-of-range cells, and save as a new file...
this is now your first working file (i.e. from now on, edit and flash from this or its children).

If you're starting from OS's other than 12212156 or 12225074, then follow these steps first:

If your 1999 F-body .tun file is stock, www.holdencrazy.com (http://www.holdencrazy.com) has a 1999 F-body->12212156 migration tune file;

If your 2001 F-body .tun file is stock, then no need to copy tables, just go straight to 12212156 (see full flash below);

Otherwise, you must copy each table from old file to new file (use copy-with-labels and paste-with-labels);

Then full flash in the new 12212156/12225074 file, make sure the vehicle runs correctly before flashing in COS5.

COS5 summary notes are attached.

You will have to read the rather long COS5 thread if you want to get the full benefits of COS5.

Thanks.

joecar
July 12th, 2008, 04:23 AM
The latest July 11 download www.efilive.com/downloads (http://www.efilive.com/downloads) includes the COS5 files.

The necessary files are already included in the later builds of the software...

There is no need to copy them from any links in this thread.

Mike@Vengeance
September 8th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Hey guys I have a car with a 12593358. Can I use the OS5 with this or am I screwed.

I want to mainly use it for the Nitrous Part.

Thanks for all help.

joecar
September 9th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Evil, welcome...:cheers:

You will have to copy all your tables from 12593358 to 12212156:
- read post #243 above...
- open 2 instances of tunetool: one on 12593358, other on 12212156;
- for each table do copy-with-labels from 12593358 and paste-with-labels to 12212156;
- do full-flash of this copied 12212156;
- make sure your Z28 runs at least as good as it did before;
- do full-flash of 02020005 (COS5);
- do cal-only-flash of your copied/running 12212156;
- read the flash and save to new tune file;
- in the new tune file, fix all out-of-range cells;
- do cal-only-flash of the the edited new tune file;
- read and apply the attached doc in post #243.

Mike@Vengeance
September 9th, 2008, 05:02 AM
Thanks a ton man

It is a Z06 will it matter at all if I do this with the Drive By Wire ect..

Evil, welcome...:cheers:

You will have to copy all your tables from 12593358 to 12212156:
- read posts #243 and #244 above;
- open 2 instances of tunetool: one on 12593358, other on 12212156;
- for each table do copy-with-labels from 12593358 and paste-with-labels to 12212156;
- do full-flash of this copied 12212156;
- make sure your Z28 runs at least as good as it did before;
- do full-flash of 02020005 (COS5);
- do cal-only-flash of your copied/running 12212156;
- read the flash and save to new tune file;
- in the new tune file, fix all out-of-range cells (see );
- do cal-only-flash of the the edited new tune file;
- read and apply attachment.php?attachmentid=1978&d=1187049515 (http://forum.efilive.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1978&d=1187049515)

joecar
September 9th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Evil,

Oh... from your sig I assumed you had a Z28 (cable linkage throttle)...

I don't know how drive by wire works with COS5...

We need someone else's input on this...

Sorry...:)

joecar
November 11th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I have been using for a LOONNG time COS5 with ETC, although this is a 512kb pcm...Hi Highlander,

On which PCM are you running COS5 and ETC...?

driver456
November 16th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Just upgraded to COS#5 and used TPS VE Table,What a difference in throttle response:grin: Didn't go for a test ride yet...............Paul