PDA

View Full Version : ECU swap?

C Murda
September 30th, 2015, 05:57 AM
is it possible to run an ecu from a different truck if its the same year? if so what would i have to do to get it to work properly? for example say my ECU shit the bed can i get a used working one and just change the vin and get it to work?

Black LS1 T/A
October 25th, 2015, 09:02 PM
Do you mean same model and year truck? That would be the same computer, right? So, of course. But, from my understanding you would need to license that PCM since licenses, I am told, tag to the serial number of the PCM. Hopefully an EFILive person can give you the real skinny on that.

joecar
October 26th, 2015, 03:13 AM
ECM licenses bind to the ECM serial number.

NCRay
January 10th, 2016, 02:24 PM
So Joecar, This thread is along the same line of the question you replied too for me a couple of days ago. It sounds as though I did not get all the info I need. You stated I could change the VIN in a second PCM to match mine via the read and bi-directional update without a VIN license.
But it sound like I will be forced to use a VIN License to then flash the 2nd PCM with a tune?
Am I understanding this correctly?

GMPX
January 10th, 2016, 04:30 PM
But it sound like I will be forced to use a VIN License to then flash the 2nd PCM with a tune?
Yes that is correct, licenses are linked to individual PCM's, not vehicles.
EFILive does have a policy if the PCM might fail for some reason and need replacing we will offer a free license for the new PCM once proof of PCM purchase is shown (eg, dealer invoice etc).

NCRay
January 10th, 2016, 04:49 PM
Yes that is correct, licenses are linked to individual PCM's, not vehicles.
EFILive does have a policy if the PCM might fail for some reason and need replacing we will offer a free license for the new PCM once proof of PCM purchase is shown (eg, dealer invoice etc).

Thanks for the info.