PDA

View Full Version : Starting problem commodore vu ute

v8manic
October 14th, 2015, 03:17 AM
ok Hopefully this is easy answer, I haven't been able to start my car since battery went flat during a re flash, then found out since my computer was using usb3.0 was a major problem have stolen my sons computer and also updated my v1 to a v2.
I got the car to start once and it run rough but that was because it has a new cam in it as well.
I finally bit the bullet again today after walking away from it all for over a month or so. Pulled the tune and the vin was showing all 00000000's
The car is a 2002 holden vu2 commodore ss ute ls1 m6, Would having the vin at all zeros stop it starting, its winding over but not firing, can hear fuel pump kicking in with key on, put a spare plug in spark plug lead and have spark, Even tried "start u bastard" sprayed directly in throttle body and it wouldn't start....

Help any ideas????

Cheers Wade

5.7ute
October 14th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Turn off the VATS in the tune, reflash and try again.

v8manic
October 15th, 2015, 11:58 PM
Still having issues with this. Now I'm getting a lot of flash failures. Even on read to confirm the last flash that succeeded.
I'm wondering if anybody in the wollongong area might have a bench harness i could borrow for a day. That way i can at least elimate a bad pcm.
I'm starting to wonder if my battery in the car isn't as charged as i think it is. Still accepting charge nearly a full day later. I am unsure of the size of charger i borrowed off dad as my big one decided it wanted to smoke and have a bad smell after just getting back from sailing club after 4 years of use.

joecar
October 16th, 2015, 10:11 AM
I would check to see if the battery voltage is at 12.4V or higher.

v8manic
October 16th, 2015, 06:04 PM
Had another go this afternoon voltage on multimeter was showing 13.7v.
First attempt got a $06ff checksum error, all subsequent attempts have worked.
Still can't get the car to fire.

Car is a 2002 commodore vu ss ute running m6 gearbox
engine has standard manifold and tb, running 1 5/8" 4into1 extractors with 3" collector, 3" 100cpi cats and then running twin 2 1/2" split system
only thing I have done since last tune is install new cam that has specs of 234 243 110 and put bigger valve springs in.
I did initially get it to run on the stock tweaked tune, just to test cam install was fine.

I have attached the tune that is presently in pcm and a log of trying to start it from today.
If anybody has any ideas please help, I need to get this started otherwise it'll need a blueslip in 2 weeks time

Cheers Wade

joecar
October 17th, 2015, 11:39 AM
If it's not VATS then check to see if injectors and plugs are firing, check if scantool reads RPM while starting.

v8manic
October 18th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Ok been out again this morning. Noid light firing on each injector plug. Got 58psi of fuel pressure.
Still got me stumped. Waiting on a bench harness to arrive to eliminate pcm problem.
Only other thing i can think of is maybe pushrod length is 2 long with bigger cam holding valves slighty open after lifters pump up oil pressure.

v8manic
October 18th, 2015, 08:42 PM
Ok its alive again...... new set of spark plugs and she fired straight up

joecar
October 19th, 2015, 04:25 AM
Ok its alive again...... new set of spark plugs and she fired straight upDo any of the old plugs show any signs of damage...?

v8manic
October 19th, 2015, 01:06 PM
No spoke to the bloke I brought the cam from just to check on base circle of cam, and he said to try a new set as he's had it before where pulling them out of head you can have them firing but not igniting the mixture if they are fouled, He said don't even try and clean just replace, Did that and she fired straight up and idled reasonable.
Now I have to try and work out how to do autove with the serial wb02 using the v2 as I was used to the v1 and analog settings.

Cheers Wade

joecar
October 19th, 2015, 02:44 PM
Hey Wade,

Serial wideband: do you have this connected to V2 (using null modem adapter or wiring modified to do so)...?

Is your V2 able to read the AFR, Lambda and EQR from the wideband...?

Log these pids (in addition to the other AutoVE pids):
- GM.EQIVRATIO
- EXT.WO2LAM1

could also log these:
- EXT.WO2EQR1
- EXT.WO2AFR1 (depends on stoich AFR assumed by wideband)
- EXT.WO2ST1

make sure the pid channel count (shown at bottom of PIDs tab and Data tab) is 24 or less...

( EXT.xxx pids occupy zero pid channels )

if you have pid channels left (before hitting 24), you may want to log GM.AFR, but I think it's better to avoid it and use GM.EQIVRATIO instead;

if you don't already have one, you will need a BEN pid defined as "{GM.EQIVRATIO}*{EXT.WO2LAM1}"... this is already defined in the calc_pids.txt file of the Calc.VET thread (see post #1).

joecar
October 19th, 2015, 02:46 PM
So was he saying that the plugs foul easily...?

v8manic
October 20th, 2015, 12:51 AM
No more that since they had about 80000kms on them and looked like a lot of carbon on them to give that a try.

v8manic
October 20th, 2015, 12:54 AM
I'm using the innovate lc-1 hooked up using a null modem adapter.
I can read the afr on the v2 but couldn't get it to map correctly. Looks like i had the wrong pids selected compared to the old v1 logging in analog.

joecar
October 20th, 2015, 04:59 AM
You need these pids:
- EXT.WO2LAM1
- EXT.WO2EQR1
- EXT.WO2AFR1 (depends on stoich AFR assumed by wideband)
- EXT.WO2ST1
- GM.EQIVRATIO

Greg Warren
October 27th, 2015, 11:37 AM
what is vats? mean

joecar
October 27th, 2015, 01:30 PM
vehicle anti theft system

Greg Warren
October 27th, 2015, 02:24 PM
vehicle anti theft system

Joe
I installed roadrunner with my tune and 1250003 operating system and am using V2 usb in 2001 vet with procharger

RR programed just fine but car won't start, do i use 7.5 or 8 to tune car and shut off vats? don't see on tune where to remove vats
could you help me? i am not real savi with computers but i have laptop dedicated to EFI Live for my car
Thanks Greg

joecar
October 28th, 2015, 09:00 AM
Greg,

Use V7.5 tunetool for reading, editing, flashing (V8 tunetool is not ready yet).

In the V7.5 tunetool (note: V7.5 is aka V7 for ease of typing):
- G1204 if you want to disable VATS (goto System Segment, open folder VATS);
- do Flash->PCM Security->VAT Relink if you want to relink between BCM and PCM (you would have to set the VIN first);

To set the VIN in the PCM, you can so it either of 2 ways:
- tunetool: do Flash->PCM Security->VINN/BCC;
- scantool: do Bidirectional->Change VIN.

joecar
October 28th, 2015, 09:01 AM
Joe
I installed roadrunner with my tune and 1250003 operating system and am using V2 usb in 2001 vet with procharger

RR programed just fine but car won't start, do i use 7.5 or 8 to tune car and shut off vats? don't see on tune where to remove vats
could you help me? i am not real savi with computers but i have laptop dedicated to EFI Live for my car
Thanks GregGreg,

If you flashed your ECM using V8 (should have gotten a warning regarding ETC), then you should have first saved the tune file using V7 tunetool.

Use V7 (i.e. V7.5) tunetool to do any PCM related flash stuff (reading, saving to file, editing, flashing)

(of course with RR you don't flash, you send it to the RR user the USB connection)

It seems to me you are using V7 tunetool for all this (since only it has the RR interface).

limited cv8r
October 28th, 2015, 02:32 PM
I have only ever been able to change vin on RR using this method - scantool: do Bidirectional->Change VIN, as described by joecar.
Just remember to have the emulation button activated when making changes to tune, there are also a few things where you need to key off for changes to be recognised. But most are real time.