PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Air Intake Tune

Level2
November 10th, 2015, 10:33 AM
Can anyone point me to a tune I should use with a cold air intake installed? I understand there are some temp corrections?

2001 Suburban 6.0L

Thanks

Jetmech442
November 12th, 2015, 11:57 AM
Let me try this one...
I just finished tuning my 1969 442 with LQ9 and T56. (Street Cred :mrgreen:)

I don't know of any tunes kicking around for just a cold air intake, but here is what may be affected(assuming you are using LS1b ecm):

1) The CAI tubing may (probly) is different than what your MAF sensor was calibrated to. so your MAF should be retuned(Calc.Vet or Calc.MAFT are the procedures for this), otherwise it will always read "off". Fuel trims will make up for the error eventually.

2) The VE table will be incorrect. More in some places than others I would think. Your MAF cross checks with your VE table below 4000 rpm, so there will always be a discrepancy there. C2911 has the limits(I doubt you would ever reach these with just CAI, but just sayin). Again, Calc.Vet or MAFT fix this also.

3) To get the most out of the CAI, I would suggest finding a buddy with a WB02, performing Calc.vet and then try some spark tuning to get everything crisp.

I'm not sure how much a CAI is going to affect a stock motor, so maybe none of this is necessary. But if it is I think these are the right steps to correcting it. Good luck. :cheers:

joecar
November 12th, 2015, 02:41 PM
+1 try Calc.VET (with wideband) and see how far off MAF is.

First do that, and then after that we can fix the rest of VE.

Level2
November 13th, 2015, 06:52 AM
Thanks Joe.. I have to look up these definitions and learn what all this is before I start changing settings in areas I know nothing about. Geez, I wish there was trust worthy video on this...

joecar
November 13th, 2015, 01:01 PM
Post #1 in this thread is the Calc.VET tutorial, and it also shows how to do various supporting things: Calc-VET-correcting-MAF-and-calculating-VE-(in-single-log) (https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?15236-Calc-VET-correcting-MAF-and-calculating-VE-(in-single-log))