PDA

View Full Version : Lost 2nd Fuel Tank during OS Upgrade

Level2
November 10th, 2015, 03:10 PM
Last week I update my OS so I could activate e-fans. This was a known issue with OS 12202088 and its posted everywhere I needed to update to 12212156.

I downloaded a 2002 6.0L Silverado 2500 file, since I have an '01 Suburban 2500 6.0L, and that was the closest choice. Carefully copied/pasted every number over for every setting and table. All works fine, except:

Today I filled up, 39 gallons between both tanks, but my fuel gauge won't go above 5/8 full. I never had this problem, senders and pumps are fairly new, and after 220 miles of driving, the gauge is starting to move down.

My fuel system tables match my old software file settings, but I see the Fuel System Segment ID is different between the two; 16264634 new vs. 16264541 old. Is there another setting that I missed or am I screwed??

Move'n Up
November 11th, 2015, 03:27 AM
Your probably on the right track but have you also considered that it could just be that your fuel level sensor has gone bad so it's just a coincidence on the timing? Check that the sending unit is operating in spec.

Level2
November 11th, 2015, 04:25 AM
Your probably on the right track but have you also considered that it could just be that your fuel level sensor has gone bad so it's just a coincidence on the timing? Check that the sending unit is operating in spec.

I did, thanks Move. Both pumps and senders were replaced last spring. I'm hitting a wall here.

Move'n Up
November 11th, 2015, 09:05 AM
Have you tried to just copy the fuel segment from one file to the other?

seems to have worked here
https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?25241-LMM-EFI-Live-help-Dual-tank-and-stabilitrak-2010-Yukon-XL&highlight=Fuel+System+Segment+ID

Level2
November 11th, 2015, 12:37 PM
Have you tried to just copy the fuel segment from one file to the other?

seems to have worked here
https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?25241-LMM-EFI-Live-help-Dual-tank-and-stabilitrak-2010-Yukon-XL&highlight=Fuel+System+Segment+ID

I did, but since I am a different OS now, the function is "greyed out" in the menu.

UGH!

Taz
November 11th, 2015, 12:41 PM
Last week I update my OS so I could activate e-fans. This was a known issue with OS 12202088 and its posted everywhere I needed to update to 12212156.

I downloaded a 2002 6.0L Silverado 2500 file, since I have an '01 Suburban 2500 6.0L, and that was the closest choice. Carefully copied/pasted every number over for every setting and table. All works fine, except:

Today I filled up, 39 gallons between both tanks, but my fuel gauge won't go above 5/8 full. I never had this problem, senders and pumps are fairly new, and after 220 miles of driving, the gauge is starting to move down.

My fuel system tables match my old software file settings, but I see the Fuel System Segment ID is different between the two; 16264634 new vs. 16264541 old. Is there another setting that I missed or am I screwed??

Guessing that your 2001 OS supported dual fuel tanks ... also guessing that the 2002 OS you flashed is a single fuel tank variant ... difficult to say for certain, as you have not posted either of these tunes.

Level2
November 11th, 2015, 04:16 PM
Guessing that your 2001 OS supported dual fuel tanks ... also guessing that the 2002 OS you flashed is a single fuel tank variant ... difficult to say for certain, as you have not posted either of these tunes.

Would you be able to help if I posted both?

Taz
November 12th, 2015, 06:19 AM
Would you be able to help if I posted both?

Hello Level2,

The following is intended as some food for thought for you, and also to the Forum membership as a whole.

If you look back 5 years or so, this Forum was an enjoyable and lively place for EFILive users. Members were polite, respectful of others, and appreciative of any support received. Professional tuners would often collaborate on problem solving, and often shared highly specialized knowledge (perhaps a little too often - which caused some negative ripples of its own behind the scenes).

Enter the Keyboard Commando generation of arrogant narcissists, and rather than posting to help others, they only post to attack suggestions (while offering none of their own). This phenomena is increasingly common in various forms of Social Media - to the point where a backlash movement by members or site administrators sometimes occurs.

Some of the former "pillars" of this Forum will no longer participate - I believe due to the change in the "tone" of this Forum, and the antisocial attitude of some members. I used to thoroughly enjoy helping out on this Forum, but now I rarely do so.

Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) on this Forum (and other Forums) used to be: post your tune(s), post any log(s) of the phenomena in question, post all modifications to the vehicle, and detail what steps you have already taken or tried. These actions served to better delineate the issue(s), and to minimize the time investment of anyone choosing to help.

If you read your quote at the top of this Post (Would you be able to help if I posted both?), you are essentially dictating the terms by which you are willing to receive "free" help, when your original request for help should have included these tunes by default.

Do you see how this type of needless back and forth wastes the time of those who may have been initially motivated to help ?

To answer your question ... I would be happy to ship you a PCM that would work perfectly, but you wouldn't be so happy to have to pay for it.

So ... post your tunes if you want to ... I will try to check back when I have a moment.

Best regards,
Taz

Level2
November 12th, 2015, 09:00 AM
Hello Level2,

The following is intended as some food for thought for you, and also to the Forum membership as a whole.

If you look back 5 years or so, this Forum was an enjoyable and lively place for EFILive users. Members were polite, respectful of others, and appreciative of any support received. Professional tuners would often collaborate on problem solving, and often shared highly specialized knowledge (perhaps a little too often - which caused some negative ripples of its own behind the scenes).

Enter the Keyboard Commando generation of arrogant narcissists, and rather than posting to help others, they only post to attack suggestions (while offering none of their own). This phenomena is increasingly common in various forms of Social Media - to the point where a backlash movement by members or site administrators sometimes occurs.

Some of the former "pillars" of this Forum will no longer participate - I believe due to the change in the "tone" of this Forum, and the antisocial attitude of some members. I used to thoroughly enjoy helping out on this Forum, but now I rarely do so.

Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) on this Forum (and other Forums) used to be: post your tune(s), post any log(s) of the phenomena in question, post all modifications to the vehicle, and detail what steps you have already taken or tried. These actions served to better delineate the issue(s), and to minimize the time investment of anyone choosing to help.

If you read your quote at the top of this Post (Would you be able to help if I posted both?), you are essentially dictating the terms by which you are willing to receive "free" help, when your original request for help should have included these tunes by default.

Do you see how this type of needless back and forth wastes the time of those who may have been initially motivated to help ?

To answer your question ... I would be happy to ship you a PCM that would work perfectly, but you wouldn't be so happy to have to pay for it.

So ... post your tunes if you want to ... I will try to check back when I have a moment.

Best regards,
Taz
Taz,

Thank you for the reply. I meant no disrespect or assuming anything entitled.

I too, share your frustration of how the world has become "less personable" with all this confounded digital communication. In my day, a person carried their motor into Pop's shop, I'd show them how the clutch goes back together and he went home to fix the washer and make his wife happy. 35 years later, everyone is a YouTube expert and wants to sue if the video doesn't show you every repair step (even though they think Ohm's Law is a form of Yoga).

That being said, I paid $900 for EFI live, and if I was in a jam, I'd pay you for a new PCM too. But what fun would that be? I bought it to learn, grow, help others (if I ever get all this straight), get as close to the 360HP some claim to see from a 6.0 and enjoy it. And, maybe even see close to 20 mpg and share my experiences with others. That's how I live.

So, again, I didn't know you were an experienced tuner, and apologize for leaving a post open to negative suggestion. I assumed the OS and segment numbers would explain enough.

I will post both tunes shortly, as I am out. Thanks in advance for taking the time to look them over.

Richard J Sedlack

Level2
November 12th, 2015, 10:04 AM
Attached are the Old OS with fan mods that would not work, and the new OS with fans working, but fuel gauge (2 tank Suburban) only reading 5/8 when full. Thanks in advance.

Taz
November 13th, 2015, 05:20 AM
Hello Richard,

I can be a grumpy old man sometimes … it seems there are never enough hours in the day … and steadfastly not enough years left on the planet … to get everything done.

There are two tunes attached below. The one labeled “trial” is your original tune – which I attempted to patch. The Fans still may not work correctly, or the Fans may work correctly but other issues may present themselves making the tune unusable – give it a try if you wish.

The second tune is a 100% stock 2002 Suburban tune – which should work correctly (once you modify it). I bench flashed it using SPS / TIS.

Best regards,
Taz

Level2
November 13th, 2015, 06:25 AM
Ah yes, I get grumpy old man syndrome frequently, exasperated by being out of coffee and/or my appliance techs who can't read schematics or use a meter. And we can't buy time, but we can waste time, have a good/bad time and father time is not looking good these day either...

So, these acronyms are making me feel like I am trying to learn another language. I need a cheat sheet of all of them. What is SPS/TIS? And thanks for finding a dual tank 156 tune!!

Level2
November 19th, 2015, 06:44 AM
Hello Richard,

I can be a grumpy old man sometimes … it seems there are never enough hours in the day … and steadfastly not enough years left on the planet … to get everything done.

There are two tunes attached below. The one labeled “trial” is your original tune – which I attempted to patch. The Fans still may not work correctly, or the Fans may work correctly but other issues may present themselves making the tune unusable – give it a try if you wish.

The second tune is a 100% stock 2002 Suburban tune – which should work correctly (once you modify it). I bench flashed it using SPS / TIS.

Best regards,
Taz

Taz, I have FINALLY had time to burn and test the tune, Fuel Gauge working perfectly along with fans. Thank you very much!!! I have not had it on the highway yet, but I assume all will be well. The nearest Interstate (65 mph) is 25 miles away.

Is there a tutorial I can read on on TCC applied vs. actual lock up? I am looking to get my lockup at 45 mph, since most of my driving around home is 50 mph roads at 0 - 25% Actual TPS.

Have an awesome day.