PDA

View Full Version : Known issues with the November 2015 Public Stable-Release

Blacky
November 26th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Currently known issues and possible workarounds for the November 2015 Public Stable-Release of the EFILive Software and Firmware

Download the public stable-release EFILive software here: http://www.efilive.com/latest/cat/download-efilive

Public pre-release software versions:

Software: V7.5.7.298
Software: V8.2.2.289
FlashScan/AutoCal firmware: V2.07.94

Issue 1:
If you are Black Box Logging PIDs from an ECM and TCM simultaneously and you have selected a PID from the transmission controller (TCM) that has an identically named PID in the engine controller (ECM), then when the log file is loaded back into the V8 software for viewing, that TCM PID will be displayed as if it originated from the ECM. The PID's data will have correctly been logged from the TCM, only its name will appear to indicate that it was logged from the ECM.
Workaround:
None.
It is a restriction of the *.efi (V7.5 log file format). That restriction will be removed and the TCM PIDs will display their true origin once the V8 scan tool software is available.
Issue 2:
The V7 Scan Tool menu option "Edit->Copy for export to V8" copies the currently selected PID list to the clipboard in the wrong format for V8. That means it cannot be pasted directly into either the V8 Scan Tool PID selection or the V8 BBX PID selection.
Workaround:
Paste the copied/exported PID list into Notepad (or any similar text editor), then remove the leading dot from each PID entry. Copy the updated PID list back to the clipboard, then paste into V8.
Issue 3:
Sometimes, after updating the AutoCal/FlashScan firmware, the "Rebooting" message and green progress bar remain visible on the screen even after FlashScan/AutoCal has finished rebooting.
Workaround:
Close down and restart any running EFILive V8 software.

IdahoRob
November 30th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Issue 3:
Sometimes, after updating the AutoCal/FlashScan firmware, the "Rebooting" message and green progress bar remain visible on the screen even after FlashScan/AutoCal has finished rebooting.
Workaround:

With doing autocal firmware updating and explorer tune loading this is happening about 75-80% of the time in a production setting.

Blacky
November 30th, 2015, 12:21 PM
Issue 3:
Workaround:

With doing autocal firmware updating and explorer tune loading this is happening about 75-80% of the time in a production setting.

Thanks for the info Rob, I have now found the cause of the issue. It's a race condition between two threads. Both of them open the progress meter, but only one of them is closing it. I've applied a fix to the EFILive_Hapi.exe and will be posting a patch in the next few days that should resolve the issue.

Regards
Paul

Tre-Cool
December 8th, 2015, 10:07 PM
ok, this one is annoying the shit out of me.

i've updated to the latest release and i'm still getting a efilive_hapi error when trying to run efilive explorer.

it's giving me a $0030 error saying the versions are not compatible. but i can run the application and talk to the v2 fine.

Tre-Cool
December 8th, 2015, 10:12 PM
problem solved. deleted the files and ran the install again.

HOWQUICK
December 9th, 2015, 02:43 PM
problem solved. deleted the files and ran the install again.

so it never installed correctly?

Tre-Cool
December 9th, 2015, 03:00 PM

I suspect the installer does not overwrite existing files and since I installed over a previous version the first time it must have just skipped over them.

Once I deleted the files manually from the v8 folder and ran the install it, the problem went away.

EFILive guys: Is it possible for the setup package to do a date/creation check for overwriting files? if I recall correctly doing software packaging myself there are a few options available do to checks like that. Though it probably depends on your installer package.

Blacky
December 9th, 2015, 03:01 PM

If the installation is unable to overwrite one or more of the *.exe or *.dll files during the installation then the files wont get updated until the next reboot. That's why sometimes after installing software you will see a message stating "Please reboot your PC".
Deleting the files and reinstalling will "fix" the problem, I would expect rebooting would have "fixed" it as well.

The reason that some *.exe or *.dll files do not get updated during the installation is that they are still being used (i.e are still running). Sometimes the EFILive_Hapi.exe file (which runs in the background with a small system tray icon) can remain executing even after all EFILive software is closed. In that case the EFILive_Hapi.exe can't be updated during the install and the PC requires a reboot to complete the installation.

Regards
Paul

Tre-Cool
December 9th, 2015, 03:04 PM
If the installation is unable to overwrite one or more of the *.exe or *.dll files during the installation then the files wont get updated until the next reboot. That's why sometimes after installing software you will see a message stating "Please reboot your PC".
Deleting the files and reinstalling will "fix" the problem, I would expect rebooting would have "fixed" it as well.

The reason that some *.exe or *.dll files do not get updated during the installation is that they are still being used (i.e are still running). Sometimes the EFILive_Hapi.exe file (which runs in the background with a small system tray icon) can remain executing even after all EFILive software is closed. In that case the EFILive_Hapi.exe can't be updated during the install and the PC requires a reboot to complete the installation.

Regards
Paul

While what you have posted is correct. I always install efilive updates/new versions when I don't have the v2 plugged in or software running.

my problem was only an issue because I was trying to pull logs off the v2 and setup bbl pids.

thinking about this issue for others, it may also come down to running the setup programs without the "run as administrator" option. windows 7/8/10 does stupid things without that. which is why I edit the local policy on all my machines to allow everything.