PDA

View Full Version : Trans not following tune

Ghostman
January 4th, 2016, 02:09 PM
So I'm using a CSP based tune. I have doubled checked to make sure I am on the right tune. I am running on tune #4. I have modified the 3-4 shift point and in the base tune I have modified the TCC for 3rd lock. For some reason it's not following my tune, it still shifts whenever it wants and it's not locking up in third like I want. I attached two logs and the tune. Any ideas?

Move'n Up
January 5th, 2016, 02:18 AM
Do you have a custom valve body or kit in it because I do not believe the stock assembly is capable of 3rd gear TC Lock?

Ghostman
January 5th, 2016, 02:44 AM
Do you have a custom valve body or kit in it because I do not believe the stock assembly is capable of 3rd gear TC Lock?

Stock transmission, but am pretty darn sure it will lock in 3rd as I can tell when it does in T/H mode and can get it to do it in regular mode also before it hits 4th if I'm careful. Even if we forget about the TCC, why is it shifting to 4th so soon? In the tune I have it not to shift till TOS reach 2100 @ 30% throttle and 2000 @ 20% throttle. I'm holding just slightly higher than 30% throttle and its shifting into fourth around ~1750ish I believe.

Now 2nd gear I'm not so sure about. I've read many say it will not, but when I have logged the truck and while in second gear, TP% same, TOS and MPH gradually climb, you can see the rpm drop and then start climbing again while everything else is consistent. That makes me think the TCC will lock in 2nd on stock VB. I'm still unsure though. I think you can see it in these logs actually.

Move'n Up
January 5th, 2016, 02:58 AM
Correct, I'm thinking about 2nd gear lockup in a stock trans which isn't possible . Sorry my bad :-D
3rd will lock if O/D is turned off in certain situations.

TOS is a key item to factor in so your on the right track.

I'm at the office so I can't see your tune to provide any feedback

Ghostman
January 5th, 2016, 03:19 AM
See if these help.

tylerltr450
January 5th, 2016, 05:20 AM
Did you increase pressure?

Ghostman
January 5th, 2016, 06:27 AM
Did you increase pressure?

No, the only thing I adjusted was the TOS vs throttle. I'm just focusing on the 3-4 shift right now and getting 3 to lock TCC sooner.

tylerltr450
January 5th, 2016, 07:08 AM
No, the only thing I adjusted was the TOS vs throttle. I'm just focusing on the 3-4 shift right now and getting 3 to lock TCC sooner.

thats what I figured but I just wanted to double check and make sure that your tb is closing quick enough and not causing a guessing game.

Ghostman
January 5th, 2016, 07:45 AM
I've gone back through everything and can't figure out why its shifting to 4 so soon....

Ghostman
January 5th, 2016, 03:46 PM
Anyone got any ideas? Anything else I could post to help?

tylerltr450
January 6th, 2016, 12:48 AM
Anyone got any ideas? Anything else I could post to help?

what about tcc graphs?

Ghostman
January 6th, 2016, 02:13 AM
I'll post them this morning.

Ghostman
January 6th, 2016, 02:19 AM
The way I have it set it should be locking up soon after a third gear shift and staying locked and hold till fourth.
TCC 3rd lock up table

TCC 3rd un lock table

Move'n Up
January 6th, 2016, 02:52 AM
I took a look last night then had to run so I didn't get a chance to post my response. I looked through your tune and didn't see anything that stood out but, this is an area that I have little experience with. The logs didn't reveal anything that I could see either.

Ghostman
January 6th, 2016, 03:15 AM
I took a look last night then had to run so I didn't get a chance to post my response. I looked through your tune and didn't see anything that stood out but, this is an area that I have little experience with. The logs didn't reveal anything that I could see either.

Thanks for taking the time too look. I appreciate it. Yeah that's my frustration is I can't seem to see anything to at least adjust to work on.

Move'n Up
January 6th, 2016, 04:40 AM
Just a thought but, have you tried starting with copying the parameters from the 3rd Gear TCC Lock and Unlock from the 3rd gear T/H Mode? See if they work and then slowly tweak to your desired results from there.

Ghostman
January 6th, 2016, 04:47 AM
Just a thought but, have you tried starting with copying the parameters from the 3rd Gear TCC Lock and Unlock from the 3rd gear T/H Mode? See if they work and then slowly tweak to your desired results from there.

I haven't tried that, but its a thought. I'll see what that looks like.

Ghostman
January 7th, 2016, 07:48 AM
Ok so I figured out the TCC for 3rd lock up. I studied my tables vs the T/H table and one thing I noticed on the T/H table compared to mine is that the Unlock table tos axis values were all lower than the lock table values. So I modified my values all a few hundred rpm lower on the unlock than the lock table and VOILA!.... it works now. I'm not sure why it needs it to be like this. Must be how the computer works or maybe I don't quite understand it myself. Now atleast I know how to make it work I can modify it how I like.

Sadly, I haven't figured out why it's shifting to 4th so soon. But I have an idea on that to try.

Log:

New unlock table you can compare to the old one attached above to see what I mean:

Now gotta figure out why I get this shuttle shift sometimes and not others.

Move'n Up
January 7th, 2016, 10:16 AM
Great, glad to hear it!

If the shuttle shift is 1-2 then more than likely it's a hardware issue (Solenoid and/or Transducer)

Ghostman
January 7th, 2016, 10:21 AM
Great, glad to hear it!

If the shuttle shift is 1-2 then more than likely it's a hardware issue (Solenoid and/or Transducer)

It's a 2-3 shuttle shift. Never has had a 1-2 issue.

Move'n Up
January 7th, 2016, 10:34 AM
That's usually the front servo seals leaking. If you haven't already done so then replace the OEM with a billet unit. Also replacing the OEM plastic accumulator with a billet unit is a good idea while your in there.

Ghostman
January 7th, 2016, 10:43 AM
That's usually the front servo seals leaking. If you haven't already done so then replace the OEM with a billet unit. Also replacing the OEM plastic accumulator with a billet unit is a good idea while your in there.

Yeah good point. I was planning on replacing them when I do a shift kit. Just haven't got quite that far yet lol.

Move'n Up
January 7th, 2016, 11:22 AM
Yeah good point. I was planning on replacing them when I do a shift kit. Just haven't got quite that far yet lol.
Run to much HP on that tune and you'll be there sooner then you think LOL 😂

Ghostman
January 8th, 2016, 04:41 AM
So I jacked around with the 3-4 and 4-3 table and got some funny results. Apparently I confused it pretty good. I'm still not fully understanding how the computer views these tables. It must still look at the 4-3 table even when its trying to shift from 3-4 using the 3-4 table; rather than only looking at one table at a time. I think there is a connection between the two table on the 3-4 and 4-3 shift and they must jive together or it won't work right.

Ghostman
January 8th, 2016, 06:43 AM
Well I've done some serious studying this morning of my log and the stock maps compared to mine and I figured it out. Graphing things out really helped. The picture basically says it all.

Stock:
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/08/079cf330e3d1742bd5b658c4cfc72965.jpg

My map:
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/08/8b33b52151c41eae1101ced5afde05c2.jpg

Now you can see why I had those funky logs. I've determined that anytime TP and TOS falls in the grey area it will shift to 4th, above the red line and it will down shift to third, below black line and no action occurs.

Figuring this out has opened the door for me. I believe this applies to TCC also. Hope this helps anyone else out there wondering. Now I can make something work with this info.

tylerltr450
January 8th, 2016, 08:17 AM
Nice findings. You should look for a computer program to just overlay screen shots would probably make life easier on you.

Ghostman
January 8th, 2016, 08:29 AM
Ok so here's my new graph. Gave myself a little more belly area where I believe is my cruising pass people range. I'm sure this will still take some changing to get it right but it's a start.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/08/31169a2936b1694b2158f3a0dc6ecfd4.jpg

Ghostman
January 8th, 2016, 08:53 AM
Shortly after posting that graph I realized I'll still be shifting into fourth sooner than I want so I made it like this.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/08/8fc28a202c9ec438b62867058319e9e8.jpg

Like I said, lots of tweaking lol

tylerltr450
January 8th, 2016, 09:00 AM
Shortly after posting that graph I realized I'll still be shifting into fourth sooner than I want so I made it like this.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/08/8fc28a202c9ec438b62867058319e9e8.jpg

Like I said, lots of tweaking lol

Bingo!!!! Thats what I thought also when you posted that. that looks like a solid graph.

Ghostman
January 8th, 2016, 09:25 AM
When the light bulb came on I literally felt like I cracked the Davinci Code lol.

As far as overlaying the data, yes that would be awesome. My wife said she will set me up something in excel to where I just punch in a few numbers an it will populate the data for me.

Ghostman
January 8th, 2016, 09:35 AM
I also made this excel calculator that has come in handy. Type in the gear and the speed and it will spit out the TOS and RPM. You might need to adjust rear end ratio and tire revs depending on your axle and tires.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7HY3q4YnCOIRUg3aHFMSFhqSFk/view?usp=sharing

Ghostman
January 8th, 2016, 12:20 PM
Well looks like I may have spoke too soon...... Made some changes and logged again and still not shifting how I thought it would. :wtf1:

Ghostman
January 12th, 2016, 07:01 AM
Front brakes decided they were wore out over the weekend so can't drive the truck till I get them replaced this weekend. Ordered a EBC brake kit.

Ghostman
February 2nd, 2016, 04:08 AM
I can see a 2nd gear lock up happening right before shifting to third gear, unless the fluid coupling has reached 100% if has to be a locked TC. I calculated the TOS, speed, gear etc to confirm it.