PDA

View Full Version : Downloaded V8 and can't get flashscan to connect

drive350
January 14th, 2016, 02:11 PM
Hello,

Been a long time V7 user but have been away for a while! I downloaded the latest V8 release and I'm trying to update firmware on my V2 flashscan. For some reason V8 will not connect to my flashscan. The program will either stop responding or say it can't connect to flashscan.

I'm running windows 10 but I've also tried on an older machine running XP with the same results.

Any advise??

Thanks

joecar
January 14th, 2016, 04:00 PM
From desktop go Start->All Programs->EFILive->V8->EFILive USB Manager and install the USB driver.

drive350
January 14th, 2016, 04:25 PM
Joecar thank you for the quick response!

Window's 10 wouldn't let me install the drivers. My XP computer installed the drivers I think but I still can't seem to connect to flashscan. Should I un-install and re-install V7.5 and V8?

joecar
January 15th, 2016, 05:33 AM
No, wait, I contacted Paul...

drive350
January 15th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Ok great. Let me know what he says. I'll hang tight till I hear back from you.

Thanks

Blacky
January 17th, 2016, 12:27 PM
On Windows 10, do this:

Connect FlashScan to your PC.
Click the "windows" button, select Settings->Devices, scroll to the bottom of the settings window and select "Device Manager".
Find FlashScan V2, it will either be highlighted with a yellow warning sign (if windows has detected a fault with the drivers), or it will be under the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" item (you may need to expand that item to see FlashScan V2).
Right click on FlashScan V2 and select "Uninstall". If you have the option, check the "Delete the driver software for this device" check box to remove the driver software from your PC.
Unplug FlashScan.
Restart PC if requested.
Connect FlashScan to your PC.
If you restarted the PC, then perform steps 2 and 3 again.
Right click on FlashScan V2 and select "Update Driver Software...".
Select "Browse my computer for driver software".
Click the [Browse] button and browse to "C:\Program Files (x86)\EFILive\Drivers\EFILive\Win-XP-Vista-7-8".
Click [OK].
Click [Next], wait for driver to be installed.
Click [Close].

Regards
Paul

drive350
January 18th, 2016, 04:52 AM
Paul,

Thank you for the detailed steps! I was able to successfully update the drivers on both machines (10 and XP) but I'm still getting the same issues on both computers.

The error I get when I click on the picture of Flashscan V2 on the bottom right of Scan and Tune:

"No device connected. Please connect a FlashScan or AutoCal USB device. If a device is connected, ensure it is not being used by another application such as the EFILive V7.5 Scan or Tune Software."

Would there be something wrong with my cable or flashscan? It was working perfectly while I was only using V7.5. I've only had issues until I downloaded V8. Any ideas?

Thanks

Move'n Up
January 18th, 2016, 11:42 AM
Have you tried another USB cable? Some of the cheap ones cause problems.

drive350
January 21st, 2016, 01:18 PM
Ok just tried a new UBS cable and no luck same issue! Flashscan does respond to the PC when connected so there is some kind of communication going on. It will say "USB model" when trying to connect to V8.

What next? I really need to get this working so I can change some things on the tune on my truck.

If I un-install V8 can I still use V7.5 with my old firmware???

I really would like to use V8. Looks like it simplifies my use of serial WB inputs.

Please chime in if you have any ideas.

Thanks!

Blacky
January 21st, 2016, 01:37 PM
Connect FlashScan and then run the program: \Program Files (x86)\EFILive\Drivers\Utilities\FT_Prog_v1.12\FT_P ROG.exe
It may take up to 20-30 seconds to start up.
Click the magnifying glass icon (or select the menu option Devices->Scan and Parse, or press the F5 hotkey).

Ensure you see the same data as shown highlighted in red in the attached screen shot.
Let me know if that is not what you see.

Regards
Paul

drive350
January 21st, 2016, 02:32 PM
Paul,

The only thing showing up different is the info under device tree.

I'm reading: Device: 0[Loc ID: 12]

So I have a 12 instead of 0

Blacky
January 21st, 2016, 03:43 PM
Paul,

The only thing showing up different is the info under device tree.

I'm reading: Device: 0[Loc ID: 12]

So I have a 12 instead of 0

That's ok, that number just identifies which USB port you have FlashScan connected to.

Can you start the V8 software with FlashScan attached and click on the [Check Firmware] button. After it has attempted (and probably failed) to display any firmware info, save a trace file. To do that locate the FlashScan icon in the Windows Task Bar near the clock. Click the FlashScan icon to show the EFILive control Panel. Select [F8: Trace] and click [Save Trace]. Locate the saved trace file in the folder: \My Documents\EFILive\V8\Trace and email it to me at paul@efilive.com

Regards
Paul

drive350
January 21st, 2016, 04:15 PM
Perfect just sent you the trace file

Thanks

Blacky
January 21st, 2016, 06:54 PM
The trace file shows no data comms via USB. The USB connection is established just fine so the physical connection between FlashScan and the PC is ok. However there is no reply from FlashScan to the PC whenever the PC attempts to query FlashScan.

When you connect FlashScan to just the PC via the USB cable (i.e. no connection to any vehicle/controller), does FlashScan's screen sdisplay the normal FlashScan menu and can you navigate around that menu? If not then it may be that FlashScan has been accidentally re-flashed with AutoCal's firmware. In that case can you try reprogramming FlashScan with the correct firmware again? To do that:

When connecting FlashScan to the PC via the USB cable, hold down the [Ctrl] button on FlashScan's keypad. That should start FlashScan in dead-poll mode where both orange LEDs are flashing. Then start the Start->All Programs->EFILive->V8->EFILive Control Panel program and click on the FlashScan icon at the end of the task bar. Select the [F6: Firmware] tab page and click on [Refresh] then click on the [Update Firmware] button if it is visible.

If that does not fix the problem then you may need to return your FlashScan for repair.

Regards
Paul

drive350
January 22nd, 2016, 08:07 AM
Paul,

Yes I can plug flashscan into my computer and the display works normal. I can toggle through the menus just fine. I just tried reprogramming with the flashscan in dead pole as you described with no luck. After I click the F6 firmware tab, it says "connected device not responding." Says boot block and firmware require updating. I have the option to update boot block (2.07.07). I click the update boot block button. Then it says " device will remain in dead poll until firmware is re-programmed." I then click "OK" and I get an Error $0101: no data received. After this it says there's no suitable firmware found. After I click the refresh button the Flashscan status moves to Unresponsive and I have no other options left. The only thing I can click is the refresh button.

I saved another trace file just incase it captured anything useful. Just emailed this to you.

Blacky
January 22nd, 2016, 09:20 AM
The last trace you sent shows some data is getting through. The first byte appears to be missing on some messages that are getting through from FlashScan to the PC. I have seen that happen before when xHCI USB is enabled in the PC's bios. If you have the option to turn of or disable xHCI in your PC's bios, try that. Or if possible try your FlashScan on a different PC that doe snot have any USB 3.0 ports. I know you've said you tried on an older XP system but I'm not sure if that was before or after the driver install issue was resolved.

More info here: https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?23223-Please-Read-Windows-8-Users-%28USB3-xHCI%29

Regards
Paul

Blacky
January 22nd, 2016, 09:34 AM
Just thinking outside the box here...

You said you haven't used FlashScan for a while. If your FlashScan firmware version is V2.04.xx or earlier then your FlashScan won't communicate with the V8 software until it has been upgraded using the old firmware upgrading tool.

That tool is available here: Start->All Programs->EFILive->V7.5->EFILive Firmware Programmer.

Run that software and update your FlashScan device so that has firmware version exactly V2.04.72 (not higher, not lower, exactly that).
Then follow the instructions in the document: Start->All Programs->EFILive->V78->Documents->Upgrading FlashScan.

Regards
Paul

drive350
January 22nd, 2016, 01:00 PM
Paul,

Yeah that's what's going on. I did manage to install the firmware V2.04.72 after I put V2 in dead poll. However I am getting a message when I open the firmware programer on V7.5 that the device was previously been upgraded to boot block V2.05.xx or greater. This must have happened when I was messed with the V8 upgrader. Have I messed this thing up?

Blacky
January 22nd, 2016, 01:09 PM
To recover take a look at the file:
\Program Files (x86)\EFILive\V8\Firmware\EFILiveRecovery\ReadMe.t xt

Regards
Paul

drive350
January 23rd, 2016, 07:51 AM
Paul,

The recovery files got me going! Looks like all is well. Was able to successfully flash my turbo GMC this morning! Thank you for your help and patience!

RD in SD
February 2nd, 2016, 08:08 PM
Same problem here, upgraded to windows 10, I can't connect to my V2 and I can't open any of my old files. I have read this string and tried everything here a few times. No improvement. Help

Blacky
February 3rd, 2016, 08:28 AM
Same problem here, upgraded to windows 10, I can't connect to my V2 and I can't open any of my old files. I have read this string and tried everything here a few times. No improvement. Help

Do you mean you have old firmware (V2.04.74 or earlier) on your FlashScan? If so then you must read this document thoroughly and follow the directions carefully: Start->All Programs->EFILive->V8->Documents->Upgrading FlashScan.

Regards
Paul