PDA

View Full Version : LS1 Straw Blower/Mulcher Conversion

ssvolvo
January 27th, 2016, 06:41 AM
Hi,

Been awhile since I posted; feel free to move this post if it's in the wrong section.

This forum is such a great resource for help so here goes:

I have found a 2000 Camaro Ls1 from a NYS Thruway cop car that was rear ended. I have the complete package to re-power this old Reinco straw blower that originally utilized a Wiconsin W4-1770 35 hp engine that the owner said never had enough power to do the job from brand new.

My challenges are many but I have for the most part figured this out, my goal is a standalone engine power plant that can be easily removed for servicing yet still run while "off" the machine.

I do not have drive by wire so I purchased a mechanical belt driven governor that will mount where the A/C compressor once was.

The original RPM was 2400 and I must be very careful as not to blow thru that window and kill or injure an operator as the impeller weighs about 90 pounds and has about a 2 foot blower fan.

To start is there a "simpler" if you will operating system that can be flashed into this LS1B (I believe) PCM that would have no rear O2s or secondary air, EGR, MAF or must I start deleting things from the original operating system? I thought maybe if GM used the LS1B on other applications or non-emissions applications I could find the flash.

If I use a tune from a manual transmission car should I run a speed sensor on the blower shaft? It's easy enough to do but not sure if I'd need one.

I'm guessing that I can find a table for rev control that would kill injectors or the fuel if someone overrides the mechanical governor.

I know this LS1 engine probably does not have a huge amount of torque at 2400 RPM, the W4-1770 had about 70 foot-lbs. at 2400.

Yeah it's a mess I know and needs lots of TLC.

Thanks for the help, John

Chevy366
January 27th, 2016, 07:37 AM
I would use a FAST setup for something like that. One thing about it, if the LS1B PCM goes into a limp mode it won't let the engine rev very high.
Didn't GM use some in commercial equipment?
Disable VAT (Vehicle Anti Theft, so it will start) and set rev limiter to desired RPM, codes will fly.

ScarabEpic22
January 27th, 2016, 09:22 AM
Maybe even use like a Megasquirt or Microsquirt? They're pretty cheap and already have all the emissions/VATS junk gone.

That looks like a TrailBlazer oil pan...I've seen just a few of those around lol.

ssvolvo
January 28th, 2016, 03:51 AM
OK here's a 6 liter LQ4 marine application, how do I get the calibration? Drawing a blank here wondering if I can pull it off the GM site and flash it in with a J2534 tool?

http://marinepowerusa.com/2014/wp-content/themes/mpusa/library/pdfs/MarinePowerUSA_6.0L_MEFI_4_Service_Manual.pdf

It's a big file, repair manual but shows it's to show that EFI LS1 from early 2000s should fit the bill, cable throttle too!

Thanks, John

ScarabEpic22
January 28th, 2016, 07:45 AM
Simply put...you cant. Marine applications use MEFI5 which is similar to production hardware (likely different, have to check) but completely custom code and EFILive doesnt support it. I think there is 1 program out there that does, MEFIBurn. IIRC it doesnt even use a standard comm protocol like VPW or CAN, it's a marine-specific CAN.

THEFERMANATOR
January 28th, 2016, 09:24 AM
Simply put...you cant. Marine applications use MEFI2/3/4 which is similar to production hardware (likely different, have to check) but completely custom code and EFILive doesnt support it. I think there is 1 program out there that does, MEFIBurn. IIRC it doesnt even use a standard comm protocol like VPW or CAN, it's a marine-specific CAN.

Pretty sure they're using MEFI 5 since the 6.0L marine engine uses an O2 sensor, and they needed the power of the MEFI5 for it. They stopped using MEFI4 about 10 years ago for production engines IIRC. They went to the MEFI4.5 and 5. MERCURY went to there 555 controller instead of the new MEFI 5.

ScarabEpic22
January 28th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Pretty sure they're using MEFI 5 since the 6.0L marine engine uses an O2 sensor, and they needed the power of the MEFI5 for it. They stopped using MEFI4 about 10 years ago for production engines IIRC. They went to the MEFI4.5 and 5. MERCURY went to there 555 controller instead of the new MEFI 5.

Good to know, I originally thought MEFI5 then changed it. Updated my previous post.

THEFERMANATOR
January 28th, 2016, 04:05 PM
Good to know, I originally thought MEFI5 then changed it. Updated my previous post.

The MEFI 5 is one heck of a controller by all accounts. It is quite small, yet can run even the most complex of marine engines including engines with dual O2 sensors, cat converters, and electronic shift and throttle control. I know quite a few rock crawlers talked of using them as well as several mud boggers since it is sealed so tightly.

ssvolvo
January 29th, 2016, 02:57 AM
Many thanks folks I'll find an LQ4 manual trans operating system and most likely use that. That Microsquirt looks worth looking into for a Subaru powered woodsplitter though.

This is a budget deal like most of my junk!

Thanks, John

ScarabEpic22
January 29th, 2016, 05:51 AM
Many thanks folks I'll find an LQ4 manual trans operating system and most likely use that. That Microsquirt looks worth looking into for a Subaru powered woodsplitter though.

This is a budget deal like most of my junk!

Thanks, John

Sounds like a good plan, check out TuneFileDepot.com for a manual OS file from a Corvette or F-Body (Camaro, Trans Am) LS1 M6 tune then segment swap the manual trans and trans diagnostic segments to the stock LQ4 tune.

ProperTuningOG
February 17th, 2016, 11:30 AM
There is nothing wrong with running the 0411 in an app like this. With the conversions we do, off road race rigs, jet boats, agg........ Its all the same. If you are wanting to simplify things more that's where the custom OS comes in.

Case in point.... Rig we just wired and tuned. No transmission but a hydraulic pump instead. Everything is air or hydro driven. This was with an E38 too. LOL