PDA

View Full Version : locked out of my own PCM

daveb
March 3rd, 2005, 06:31 PM
Over the past few months I have become interested in my LS1, its PCM and tuning more generally.

I recently had my exhasut replaced with a performance system and MAFLess edit done on my Calias. This sparked my interest in the LS1's PCM. After looking at the various SW packages for scanning & tuning I decided EFILive was the go.

I wanted to be able to see my configuration and begin to understand its operation etc. I was also keen to adjsut my shift points etc as they are not optimal for me.

I then ordered EFILive personal tune/scan which arrived today. I just connected to my car and the PCM was locked.

I called my Holden dealer who had arranged for the tune when the new exhaust went in and asked for the contact details of the tuner. I called him and asked if he could give me the passwd for the PCM. He told me that he would not and no tuner would as they fear others copying their tune etc. He also said that others had learned the 'art of tuning' by reading other tuners' files. He apologized to me as the Holden dealer did not tell me this upfront.

He offered to unlock the PCM but would restore the file to its stock config; no refund though I expect.

I understand his logic but I had sensed an atmosphere of collabration amongst forum users on this and other tuner forums, including tuner files being swapped and compared. I would also expect one's competitive advantage would be dependent on other factors also (eg reputation, versitility, customer service and support etc). I have no intention of becoming a professional tuner; I am an electronic/communications engineer and work in an network software development company.

I feel like an idiot in some ways, not being able to even read my own PCM.

Is this standard practice? Is their anyway I can get access to my PCM now other than to lose my config and $$?

Another thing he said which puzzled me was HP Tuners (which he used) was required to read the PCM now. Is this correct, even if he has not locked the PCM?

Any thoughts, counsel, advice most welcome. Thanks in advance.

FYI - I have a Holden 2000 VTII Calais.

zrx1200
March 3rd, 2005, 08:34 PM
i think if you update to pro single vin with flash u could do it ,,no doubt the mods will explain..im glad mine wasnt locked..or you could get another pcm and start afresh..or try delco..

GMPX
March 3rd, 2005, 11:24 PM
Unfortunately this is how it is.
The Tuner does have to protect he's time and efforts.
At least the offer was there to restore it back to standard for you free of charge. Once he flashes the standard tune back and unlocks the PCM then you can use Flashscan to tune.
If you hit a brick wall with this please contact me -
ross@efilive.com

Cheers,
Ross

dfe1
March 4th, 2005, 02:50 AM
Locking a PCM may seem like a good idea to protect a proprietary tune, but it's really all a bunch of nonsense. There's nothing magical going on here, and anybody with any amount of tuning experience winds up doing things pretty much the same way. Certainly, if you're in the business, you want to protect your intellectual property, but someone will always find a work-around, so all you're really doing is postponing the inevitable. For a person with no prior tuning experience, starting with an existing tune just cuts the development time. My advice is to go have the stock tune reinstalled, then do your own. You'll learn a lot, and be in control of your own destiny (at least as it relates to your car). You should be able to get plenty of help on this forum, and may even be able to get a tune form someone with a similar engine configuration.

mnotx
March 4th, 2005, 03:21 AM
It's too bad they locked their tune, but I agree with what was said above: jump in there and start making your own.

I have a little headstart as the custom tune in mine was not locked. I have been studying what changes were made and trying to figure out "why" on some of them. Flashscan is really great for this. You can bring up both tunes (custom and OEM) and compare them side-by-side.

My custom tune was done with a Predator. I would log test runs with EFILive V6 and e-mail to the tuner, who would then e-mail another tune to load.

Having said all of that, I am anxious to see what some of the experienced professionals on this forum have done to LS1s and compare that to my own. As a layman, this is all very educational and fun.

daveb
March 4th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Thanks for your thoughts.

I will get it unlocked so I can start working on it.

I agree, it is postponing the invevitable. Sounds like your tuner (mntox) was pretty good tweaking things whilst allowing you to be involved.

One thing I noticed when I used scan was my VIN number has changed since the tune. I expect this is because the tuner flashed a file he had to my PCM and that was all (and it cost AU$1600 - ie US$1280), which is why the VIN was changed. I am not sure what else was done, if anything. Is this normal? Is it professional to leave the VIN changed liked that? One that is incorrect.

It was done when the exhaust was changed and I think it took him less than 2 hours. Is it possible to do a proper MAFLess tune that quickly?

Thanks again for your support, I intend to get into this and learn what I can, your support is very encouraging.

Thanks again.

RandyWS6
March 4th, 2005, 11:22 AM
my predator tune was unlocked to , from what i can see there was not a lot of changes made. my car seems to run good but i thought there would be more custom tune done with all my mods. there is nouthing stock left on my WS6. changed injectors, stageIII heads, holley intake, 80mm T-body forged 348cid. and a lot more ,to much to list ,but the predator tune will give me a good start ,i beleave after i learn how to use the flash tuner

daveb
March 4th, 2005, 01:32 PM
looks like we are in a similar boat, randyWS6. I hope to start soon too.

Let me know how you get on.

mnotx
March 4th, 2005, 02:42 PM
daveb:

I don't think your VIN should have been left that way. The VIN should match the car.

But on the bright side, you'll be able to straighten it all out soon.

RandyWS6
March 4th, 2005, 03:16 PM
what do you mean VIN is that my VIN number on the car that on the dash,if so thay are the same.

daveb
March 4th, 2005, 10:12 PM
yes it is the vehicle ID No, which is on the dash.

The guy flashed my PCM with a proloaded file and not much else I suspect. Didn't even take the time to edit the VIN to atch the car.

I have sorted this out and will progress from here.

trudynosports
January 12th, 2007, 04:48 AM
I don't lock my tunes. I feel that even if someone "steals" my tune they are not really gaining anything. I don't have just a couple tunes that I throw in similiar cars. I start every vehicle from scratch and tune each one as if it were completely different even if it has the same bolt on's.