PDA

View Full Version : Cummins ignition problems

jasonparsons
February 9th, 2016, 07:51 PM
Does anybody of you here ever faced 2007 dodge cummins 5.9 problems with the ignition (https://www.bcdiesel.ca/en/2003-2007-dodge-59l). That was dangerous. The ignition shuts down suddenly when we drive, without any signs, then we will lose the power steering and control. I experienced this issue two times. What can I do to resolve this issue. I can not afford another truck at this time. So I want to clear this issue soon.I need a permanent solution.

anarchydiesel
February 10th, 2016, 05:20 AM
Most likely you have a skim module or key going bad. That is as long as your truck is not an st trim level. If you have a spare factory key try using that key. Otherwise the skim module is a likely cause. I would suggest checking on some of the dodge/cummins specific forums for more info. This forum is dedicated to the tuning side and not troubleshooting/repair topics.

superwagon
February 10th, 2016, 06:51 AM
I have had this happen to my truck a couple of times as well. My looking into it lead me to checking and cleaning all ground connections. I went over all of them i could find. I do not know if that solved it for sure but i haven't had it happen again in several months. If it happens again i will take anarchys advice and look into skim module/key problem.

GMPX
February 10th, 2016, 10:50 AM
So is the SKIM system constantly checking or just on start up? Normally on anti-theft systems once they have passed the checks at startup that is it they don't continue to validate the codes....but I am thinking GM here, not 100% on Dodge.

anarchydiesel
February 10th, 2016, 10:53 AM
I cannot say that it is constantly checking, but for sure if the skim goes offline on the can bus it kills the ignition signal to the ecm.