PDA

View Full Version : Can I run a single O2 Sensor?

BigCE
February 12th, 2016, 01:58 PM
Finishing up the exhaust on my truck this weekend. I was wondering if I can run both O2s to a single sensor? It is a turbo build and I welded in a single bung post turbo.

I realize it wont be able to trim each bank independently, but would this hurt anything? Do I have to wire them together or can you tune it to run off of one?

Thanks,

Jetmech442
February 13th, 2016, 05:02 AM
Thinking out loud here, if you wire both inputs to a single sensor that is essentially the same as running two sensors right next to each other on turbo out. It's probably not ideal, but you're still getting an average of all the cylinders... I've never tuned a turbo, but I did stay in a holiday Inn last night... 😃

joecar
February 13th, 2016, 07:48 AM
The PCM will attempt to trim each bank separately... so you can't really run a single sensor on a V8.

slow ride
February 16th, 2016, 03:25 PM
So if you did run two stock o2's pre turbo would the signal still be reasonably correct off boost at lower pressure levels like in simi closed loop while running a COS? I always hear the backpressure would skew the readings, but at low power levels while running closed loop I would think they would read ok. This is not to say the heat would be good for them.

johnv
February 16th, 2016, 07:22 PM
Most single turbo guys tune open loop, without o2 narrow band feedback.

BigCE
February 17th, 2016, 05:05 AM
Thanks for the answers guys. I think what I am going to do is run 1 sensor in the crossover from the driver side, very near factory location. and the second sensor in the downpipe. This was recommend to me from a builder who has done quite a few builds with similar setups.

I really want semi closed loop to work but if it doesn't I can run open loop.