PDA

View Full Version : Getting A Different ECM

EverydayDiesel
February 16th, 2016, 04:01 PM
Hello,

I am getting a different ECM for my truck, they are the same year / same part number. Will this thing be plug in play or will I have to have work done on it?

Thanks in advance

tylerltr450
February 17th, 2016, 01:33 AM
Should be plug n play

SASDakota
February 17th, 2016, 05:06 AM
You will want to update the VIN in the PCM to match the truck with a scantool capable of that.

And the obvious if you are going to tune that one you'll need another "vin" license which isn't accurate because it does not license to the VIN. Moreso the PCMs unique ID.

SASDakota
February 17th, 2016, 05:07 AM
Not that I think it matters in this case, but you didn't specify which vehicle this is for. I ASSumed it was a 6.7 because of the section, but what MY and make/model would be a good idea to provide.

EverydayDiesel
February 17th, 2016, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the reply. Yes the truck is a 6.7L cummins 2007.5

What is the procedure for this? It is a salvage yard ecm so I dont know if they had a tuner on it or not. I assume it will be the safest to start over with a tune from file tune depot?

Is it as easy as
1. Downloading the tune from tunefiledepot.
2. Opening the tune up and changing the vin
3. Flashing the ECM on the truck
4. Start driving

EverydayDiesel
February 17th, 2016, 05:34 AM
And do you know if this will change the miles on the truck? Is how many miles the truck has on it embedded in the ecm?

KhakiCummins
February 17th, 2016, 09:10 AM
And do you know if this will change the miles on the truck? Is how many miles the truck has on it embedded in the ecm?

No, miles are stored in the instrument cluster.