PDA

View Full Version : Flashing new A50 TCM

Hotrodcorvette
February 23rd, 2016, 09:18 AM
Hi all,

I had a TCM die on me on the way to work this morning. I was able to get a replacement TCM and limp if off the highway (2nd gear I think). Luckily I read the stock TCM tune a couple of months ago when A50 tuning was released.

I tried to reflash the stock tune in and it will not work however... I am getting an error $0531, controller device mismatch.

Does anyone know what I need to do to flash this new TCM and get it out of limp mode?

Truck is a 2011 Duramax 4 door LTZ, 4x4, Dually if it matters.

Thanks for your help!

Tyler

cindy@efilive
February 23rd, 2016, 12:31 PM
Hi all,

I had a TCM die on me on the way to work this morning. I was able to get a replacement TCM and limp if off the highway (2nd gear I think). Luckily I read the stock TCM tune a couple of months ago when A50 tuning was released.

I tried to reflash the stock tune in and it will not work however... I am getting an error $0531, controller device mismatch.

Does anyone know what I need to do to flash this new TCM and get it out of limp mode?

Truck is a 2011 Duramax 4 door LTZ, 4x4, Dually if it matters.

Thanks for your help!

Tyler

The Error code list defines $0531 as The controller serial number stored in the tune file does not match the controller's serial number.

The author of the tune file has restricted the controller into which this tune file can be flashed by specifying the controller’s serial number in the security settings of the file.

When you read and saved your stock tune, I'm guessing the Controller Serial number restriction was applied. You will need to remove the restriction in the V8 Scan and Tune software, resave the file and then attempt to flash.

Cheers
Cindy

Hotrodcorvette
February 23rd, 2016, 01:46 PM
Thanks Cindy. I logged into my V8 software (verified the latest version) and went to properties and security restrictions... it says I can view and modify without restriction.

I see in the controller information tab that the controller serial number does not match the new TCM serial number. I tried to change it on this page but I can not. Does another location exist that I need to use to update the TCM serial number to the new one? I looked around and could not find one or how to remove the "Controller Serial number restriction"? Should I be looking at a specific screen? I read the file personally from the stock TCM in December so I know I personally did not lock it.

Thanks again,
Tyler

cindy@efilive
February 23rd, 2016, 02:15 PM
Hi Tyler,

The controller serial field is designed to prevent tuner's files being shared between multiple customers. It validates an exact match between the serial number entered in the tune file security against the serial number of the ECM - if the data matches, the flash works. If the data doesn't match you get the error you've reported. That field is controlled by the FlashScan V2 used to set that restriction.

With your FlashScan connected to your PC, open the tune file in V8 software and navigate to F4: Properties and click on the security restrictions tab. When you select Clear all security restrictions (as highlighted below), you will then be able to remove the Controller Serial number entered in that field (also highlighted). You'll then need to save your tune file again and the restriction will be gone.

Cheers
Cindy

Hotrodcorvette
February 23rd, 2016, 02:48 PM
Thanks Cindy, I think not having the V2 plugged in was giving me some of the issues, I did not realize I needed it plugged into make these specific edits. While I did not have luck updating the TCM controller SN I found another way to fix the problem.

1st - I read the file out of the new TCM I purchased today and it did not have a truck VIN number in it. I was able to edit the VIN of today's stock TCM tune, save and reflash (after applying a license) it back into the truck. This seemed to fix the SNs not talking issue but still had the transmission in limp mode (I assume because the OS was different).

2nd - I then took the original TCM tune I read in December and was now able to reflash it into the new TCM since the VIN numbers now matched... no more $0531 code. Just got back from a drive and the transmission is shifting fine and no errors that I can find.

So the good news is I am not stranded with a broken truck which was worth it, the bad news is I think I just used up my last Transmission tune license? Can I undo this at all or will I just have to buy a new one for the next tune I do? I was hoping I would not have to use when I replaced a factory ECM or TCM.

Thanks again for all of the quick help and awesome support, I would not have been able to get this running tonight without the ideas you were able to give me.

Tyler

Hotrodcorvette
February 23rd, 2016, 02:52 PM
Oh, and for those with a 2011 Duramax, TCM failure seems to be a very common problem as they had a bad solder joint from the factory which left me stranded blocking traffic. I would recommend taking your V2 on long trips with you as this may be able to save you from an expensive tow bill as it seems local dealers now have these TCMs in stock if you have a way to reflash (my dealer did not have anyone to operate the Tech2).

Don't forget to read your stock TCM tune while it is still good so that you can do this!

Hope my tough day saves someone else some headache later!

Tyler

cindy@efilive
February 23rd, 2016, 03:22 PM
Thanks Cindy, I think not having the V2 plugged in was giving me some of the issues, I did not realize I needed it plugged into make these specific edits. While I did not have luck updating the TCM controller SN I found another way to fix the problem.
You can't change the serial number of a controller. You can only change the serial number restriction in the tune file to be flashed into that controller. To ensure only 'approved' changes are made on restricted files, FlashScan must be connected.

1st - I read the file out of the new TCM I purchased today and it did not have a truck VIN number in it. I was able to edit the VIN of today's stock TCM tune, save and reflash (after applying a license) it back into the truck. This seemed to fix the SNs not talking issue but still had the transmission in limp mode (I assume because the OS was different).
You've flashed in a different tune that did not have the tune file security parameter enabled.

2nd - I then took the original TCM tune I read in December and was now able to reflash it into the new TCM since the VIN numbers now matched... no more $0531 code. Just got back from a drive and the transmission is shifting fine and no errors that I can find.
The only way Decembers flash could take would be if the tune file restriction on controller serial ID was removed.

So the good news is I am not stranded with a broken truck which was worth it, the bad news is I think I just used up my last Transmission tune license? Can I undo this at all or will I just have to buy a new one for the next tune I do? I was hoping I would not have to use when I replaced a factory ECM or TCM.

Thanks again for all of the quick help and awesome support, I would not have been able to get this running tonight without the ideas you were able to give me.

Tyler

You'd need to email the replacement TCM invoice along with your FlashScan serial number and Auth code to sales@efilive.com for consideration. I'm not sure what the answer would be on a failed TCM where EFILive was not the cause of the failure, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Cheers
Cindy

S Phinney
February 24th, 2016, 12:18 AM
When will editing be availiable?

cindy@efilive
February 24th, 2016, 08:06 AM
Early A50 TCM tuning was released last year, late A50 TCM tuning is currently in beta. It will be in the next release.

Cheers
Cindy