PDA

View Full Version : LL8 I6 AutoVE questions

blandmiller
May 23rd, 2006, 04:53 AM
I have been studying the AutoVE tutorial and reading alot of other forum threads to familairize myself with the process, but have several questions.

I know that our I6's operate in SD mode and we do not have to create a MAF fail, but I have not found some of the other parameters that need to be modified in order to perform AutoVE:

catalytic converter protection {disable?}
commanded fuel when in open loop {fuel table?}
we can modify P.E. based on CTS and P.E. mod. based on RPM
Long term fuel trim correction {disable?}
DFCO temp enable {122 C}
we have DFCO RPM, MAP, & VSS enable

What do I need to modify in order to perform AutoVE on an I6? I am very suspect of the factory VE values in the tables.

On a side note, I do not see any parameters to correct the speedometer for larger tire/wheel combinations.

dfe1
May 24th, 2006, 12:10 AM
I think Ross and Paul are doing more work on the I6 calibrations. This system works somewhat differently than the LS1-based systems, so you won't necessarily have all the same tables available. Historically, GM has often used dramatically different programming protocols for truck and passenger car applications.

blandmiller
May 24th, 2006, 05:05 AM
I already assumed that we do not currently have enough tables and controls to perform AutoVE. My hope is that we will be able to soon. I posted this in the hopes that someone would know how to disable the fuel trims and force the PCM to open loop. The factory VE tables look very suspect to me and I would like to verify their accuracy.

I can just modify the fuel table controls we currently have for WOT and get the AFRs where I want them (hopefully), but I would like to get my LTFTs below the current 4-6%.

blandmiller
June 4th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Bump.

ScarabEpic22
June 6th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Yea, Im looking forward to the AutoVE tool, as all I have really done is play with settings (Not A/F besides leaning out a hair).

GMPX
June 7th, 2006, 05:51 PM
The tyres calc are not done yet, we like ours to be auto correcting (see how the LS1 works), we've not figured out enough of the speedo cals for the IL6 to implement this. If someone needs to play with this it would be no trouble to add in the raw ppk values to change.

For the AutoTune, alot of the document is LS1 specific.
For the LL8 what we do need to include is the closed loop temp enablers because the AutoVE doesn't work correctly when the PCM is in closed loop.
However, doing the WOT VE should be no problem as is. Just use GM.AFR_B for monitor the commanded AFR, from memory the other one produces crazy numbers.

Cheers,
Ross

blandmiller
June 7th, 2006, 11:47 PM
A closed loop temp enable parameter would be greatly appreciated. I'm already aware of the commanded AFR being strange. I have been logging using the GM.AFR_B and it coincides with my LC-1.

Apparently we will need to repeat the AutoVE process several times if we adjust the VVT parameters. I am still having a hard time believing that the VVT can increase VE by the amounts show in the tables.

Looking forward to the additional parameters. Will there be another major release after you add the parameters that Jesse is requesting?

GMPX
June 13th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Not sure 'major' is the right word :)
But yes we are slowly adding in more tables parameters as needed / discovered. Over time the list will grow, The Duramax went from 70 or so on first release to over 200 in about a 5 or 6 month time span, so you will keep getting more fun things over time.

Cheers,
Ross

ScarabEpic22
June 13th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Glad to hear that Ross, have you discovered why the limiter doesnt change even when you change it in the Speedometer area? I cant vouch for this personally, but I have talked to some other guys who have and even after they change the limiter, it still cuts out at 106-107mph.

blandmiller
June 14th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Ross, thanks for the information.

I know you are busy, but us I6 guys are looking forward to the added parameters.

Is it possible that the speed limiter is a combination of the speedometer maximum speed and the engine fuel cutoff?

blandmiller
June 26th, 2006, 12:38 AM
Is this hidden forum still open? I know the first pre-release version is now available to the public. Do we need to continue posting in here or start posting in the open public forum? I will post one more time in this forum. If I don't get administrator responses I will assume we need to post in the public forums.

The VE tables mean absolutely nothing at this time. I understand that they are 'mass-centric' (gm/cyl), but they are tabled as engine load vs. rpm. Should I create a calculated PID of GM calculated engine load vs. rpm to better understand the relationship between the VE tables and the fuel trims? I also need a method of forcing the PCM to open loop. Any ideas?

TAQuickness
August 7th, 2006, 08:02 PM
There is a significant effort in place to increase the tutorial base for EFILive. I'll make an effort to create an I6 specific AutoVE document in the near future.

blandmiller
August 7th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Thanks, we need it.

TAQuickness
August 17th, 2006, 12:36 PM
blandmiller - can you send me stock i6 tune? taquickness at houston dot rr dot com

ScarabEpic22
August 17th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Stock tune sent.

TAQuickness
August 17th, 2006, 09:50 PM
wow. The I6 looks much differnt than the LS1. At a quick glance, I did not see everything I would need. I'll have a closer look this evening.

blandmiller
August 17th, 2006, 11:57 PM
I think we are missing several parameters required for AutoVE tuning. I hear that there will be another 'cal' file released soon with added parameters and tables. We are waiting patiently.

blandmiller
October 9th, 2006, 09:15 AM
TAQuickness, any ideas after spending time with the stock LL8 file? Since the VE tables never change values no matter what units are selected, what do you think the units actually are?

TAQuickness
October 9th, 2006, 09:49 AM
I haven't looked at it in great depth yet.